Categories > Original > Fantasy > Merchant Of Death

Chapter Eleven

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Chalise is a merchant of death. Have a person causing a problem? She's the one to call.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-06-19 - Updated: 2008-06-19 - 690 words

0Unrated
Peter took me to his cabin on the ship and I quickly fell asleep in the small bed. I woke up hours later, not sure why, until I tried to move. Suddenly a sharp pain ripped through my stomach and I knew, I was going into labor.
“Peter,” I said weakly at first, hoping he would hear me. “Peter!” I yelled in panic, and the door opened as Peter and the man I had met before ran into the room.
“What’s wrong?” He asked and I gasped as a gushing feeling happened between my legs.
“I’m going into labor,” I said, then cried out as another knifelike pain ripped through my abdomen.
“I’ll go get Mari,” the man said and Peter nodded.
“Thank you Michael,” he said, then the man left.
Peter crawled into bed with me as I clung to him, more afraid then I’d ever been in my life.
“It’ll be okay,” he murmured, stroking my hair and I nodded, hoping he would be right.
I cried out again as another pain hit me and tightened my hold on Peter.
Finally an older woman, followed by two younger women rushed into the room.
“You need to leave,” the older woman who I assumed was Mari said to Peter, but I shook my head.
“Please let him stay,” I gasped as another contraction hit me and she nodded.
She instructed Peter to lift me out of the bed, while she and her helpers stripped the covers and put clean dry ones on.
Peter put me back on the bed, and held my hand as my labor continued.
Mari pulled up the nightgown I was wearing and looked between my thighs.
“Is this your first baby?” She asked, and I nodded, biting my lip to keep from screaming as another contract hit me.
“Amazing,” she muttered, “the first one usually takes forever to come along. Your baby seems to be in an awful big hurry to join the world.”
She looked at me, rubbing my stomach.
“Push,” she said, and I bore down, pushing with all my might, screaming at the pain.
“I see the top of the head,” she said, “Push again.”
For a moment, I felt like I couldn’t, then I felt Peter’s hand in mine and I somehow found the strength to push.
“I see the whole head,” Mari cried, “just one more push.”
I pushed and felt a sensation as the baby slid free, into Mari’s waiting arms. For a moment there was silence, then the beautiful sound of our baby crying.
Peter smiled and kissed my head, “you did great love,” he whispered in my ear as we watched Mari clean off our baby.
“What is it?” I asked and she turned, smiling at us both.
“Congratulations,” she said, “it’s a girl.”

“A girl,” Peter said, hugging me gently. “I have a daughter, we have a daughter.”
I smiled as Mari brought our daughter over to us, setting her gently in my arms.
“What will you name her?” Mari asked as Peter and I stared in fascination at the life we had created.
“Hope,” I said, “because she’s destined to end this war.”
Mari nodded and smiled, “a fine name,” she said, then turned and walked out of the room, followed by her two helpers, leaving us alone in the room.
“I’ll see about getting a crib for her tomorrow,” Peter said, as we laid there together.
I nodded, stroking her dark hair, then gasped when she opened her eyes.
“Look at her eyes Peter,” I said in awe and he looked, gasping as well.
They were the color of amber, the color that an immortal’s eyes became after hundreds of years.
“She’s a special child,” Peter said, “the hope of the world, our hope.”
I smiled, then yawned as I felt myself growing drowsy, tired from the labor.
“I love you Chalise,” Peter said, taking Hope and pulling the covers over me. “Sleep love, you deserve it.”
“I love you too,” I murmured, closing my eyes and drifting off to sleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story