Categories > Original > Fantasy > Merchant Of Death

Chapter Twelve

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Chalise is a merchant of death. have a person causing a problem? call her.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-06-26 - Updated: 2008-06-26 - 788 words

0Unrated
When I woke up, Peter was standing by the doorway, talking quietly to Michael. He had Hope cradled gently in his arms and I watched him, smiling, thinking what a wonderful father he made.
Finally he noticed that I was awake and he came over with Michael.
“How do you feel Chalise?” Michael asked.
“Fine,” I said, then he reached into his pocket, pulling out a bottle.
“Mari asked me to give this to you,” he said, “it’ll help you get your strength up.”
He handed me the bottle, “we need to move you to a safe house quickly,” he said. “Anyone can be bought and as much as I hope my people are loyal, I can’t assure that. I know that Piero has spies everywhere, he’s probably already been informed of Hope’s birth.”
I nodded, suspecting the same thing myself.
“What will happen?” I asked and Michael shook his head.
“I don’t know,” he said, “they say Hope is the one who will end the war. But who knows if that’s true.”
He looked at Hope cradled gently in Peter’s arms.
“She is a special baby,” he said, “and she might be the one to bring humans and immortals together. But only time will tell.”
At that moment, Hope opened her eyes and screwed up her face, letting out a loud howl.
“I think she’s telling us she’s hungry,” I said softly, and Peter handed her to me.
“I’ll leave you two alone,” Michael said, walking out of the cabin, and closing the door behind him.
I gently cradled my daughter, in my arms and opened up my nightgown, feeding her as Peter watched.
“She’s going to be as beautiful as her mother,” he whispered, sitting next to me and cradling us both in his arms.
“And as brave as her father,” I said softly, lifting my head and kissing him.
He kissed me back softly.
“I’ll keep you both safe,” he said, “I promise, Piero will never get his hands on you.”
As I looked at my daughter, I silently prayed he was right.

I quickly regained my strength, partly thanks to the potion that Mari had given me. The sea voyage passed uneventfully, which pleased both Michael and Peter. They knew Piero wouldn’t give up, especially when he found out that Hope had been born.
Finally land was spotted and Michael came to our cabin.
“We’ve found a safe house for you,” he said. “The problem is that there’s only room for the two of you, Peter can’t go.”
He looked at Peter, “it’s in a place that’s been converted for women and children affected by the war. Men aren’t allowed, but we feel this would be the best place for Chalise and Hope.”
I looked at Peter, could I leave him again?
“You have to go Chalise,” he said softly, “it’s the only way to keep Hope safe. She’s more important then anything else.”
I nodded, trying not to give into the tears that threatened.
He held me, “I promise,” he said, “we’ll be together. One day we’ll be a family.”
I nodded, as the tears streaked down my cheeks.
“I’ll go,” I said softly, and Michael smiled.
“We’ll dock soon,” he said, “and there will be a transport waiting for you.”
He turned around and left as Peter stood there holding me.
“It won’t be for long,” he said, turning me so I was facing him. “Just a few months, the war is almost over. Now that the renegades have begun fighting, we’re slowly winning.”
He kissed me softly.
“Soon, we’ll be together again,” he whispered. “I promise.”
I nodded my head, holding him tightly.

Soon we had docked, and Peter helped me off the ship as I held onto Hope.
The renegades watched us leave, standing in respectful silence. And I knew that no matter if she was the end of this war, she had become a symbol. One that would keep these people fighting, until they had won.
Peter led me to a small car, where Michael was standing.
“She’ll be safe,” he said and Peter nodded, he took Hope as I got into the car, then handed me the baby.
“I’ll come for you,” he whispered, leaning in and kissing me.
I nodded, as the tears streaked down my cheeks again.
He closed the car door, and the driver started up the engine, driving away.
I turned and Peter raised his hand in farewell, I watched him as he grew smaller and smaller. Until he was finally out of sight.
Sign up to rate and review this story