Categories > Original > Fantasy > Merchant Of Death

Chapter Thirteen

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Chalise is a Merchant of Death, have a person causing a problem? Give her a call.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2008-07-14 - Updated: 2008-07-14 - 562 words

0Unrated
We drove for hours, finally reaching the compound where the safe house was. As I stared up at the tall unyielding walls, I suddenly felt a feeling of trepidation.
I shook my head and clutched Hope in my arms, I was just being silly, everything would be fine.
The driver drove through the gates and up to the house, it was huge, bigger then anything I had ever seen. He stopped in front of the large porch that wrapped around the bottom of the house and got out, opening the door and helping me out.
The front door opened and a woman came out, she smiled when she saw me.
“Finally our newest guest has arrived,” she said, coming down the stairs.
“I’m Daron, the director for The Refuge,” she lightly grasped my arm. “Please, come in, everything is prepared for you.”
I nodded and shifted Hope in my arms as she led me into the house. The house was even bigger on the inside, if that was possible, and filled with people. Women and children, of all ages.
They silently watched us enter, and I wondered if they had been informed on who I was.
Daron led me up some stairs, down a long hallway, finally stopping at a door.
“This is your room,” she said, “I hope it’s comfortable enough for you.”
I opened the door and looked in awe at the room, it was bigger then the one I had at Circe’s island.
“Everything you need has been provided,” Daron said, “if you need anything else, don’t hesitate to ask.”
She turned and walked back down the hallway, leaving me alone.
I went into the room and closed the door, crossing the room, I laid Hope gently in the crib.
Looking at my beautiful daughter and smiled, she was a mixture of Peter and of me. I found myself hoping that Peter would get a chance to see her grow up. Tears came to my eyes, and I quickly wiped them away, not wanting to give into the weakness of crying.

I laid on the bed and soon fell asleep, waking hours later to some small noise. I sat up quickly and gasped.
Piero stood over the crib looking at Hope and smiling.
“Get away from my baby,” I said, standing up and he looked at me.
“How did you get in here?” I demanded, wondering if I could push past him and grab Hope. I realized that even if I did, he could catch us before we got through the door.
“Michael isn’t as clever as he thinks,” Piero said, “I’ve had Daron in my pocket for years. She knew that eventually you would come here, and you did.”
He smiled and walked toward me, “she will be rewarded for that.”
I stepped back, “leave us alone,” I said, and he smiled wider.
“You should be happy Chalise,” he said, reaching a hand out to me. “You’re the mother of the future.”
I slapped his hand away, and pushed past him, dashing for the crib. He grabbed hold of me, whirling me around as I fought and screamed.
“It’s time for you to face your destiny Chalise,” he said, then pressed a cloth against my mouth.
Something sweet smelling filled my nostrils making me dizzy and soon I passed out.
Sign up to rate and review this story