Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Boy, The Man, The Beast

The First Year

by Moonshyne 0 reviews

The first year of Remus' lycanthropy has taken a toll on him. On top of trying to deal with his aggressive urges, nightmares and certain prejudices, there is a werewolf that still wants him as part...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Lupin - Published: 2008-07-06 - Updated: 2008-07-07 - 3639 words

1Original
Remus was excited to go back to school the following Tuesday. Unfortunately, he could still feel the waning of the full moon and the wolf trying to take over his mind. He was finding it really hard to concentrate on what the teacher was saying. Richard Endicott who was the class bully started to pick on Remus during break.

“What’s the matter Lupin, not the teacher’s pet anymore? Why did you miss school? Miss your mommy? Did you cry because you had to go to school?”

“Shut up,” said Remus quietly.

“What kind of name is Remus anyway? It’s a stupid name.”

“Shut up,” Remus said a little louder.

“Or what Lupin? Look at you? You’re all skin and bone I can beat you with one hand behind my back.”

And lout of nowhere a loud bam. Remus had punched the boy in the nose, and broke it.

“What did you do that for?”

Then Remus was on the boy so fast just pounding him. By the time the teacher got there the boy had a bloody nose, two black eyes and various bruises. Remus was sent to the principal’s office for his bad behavior and his parents were called in. He sat there in tears until John and Heather walked in, and Remus ran to them.

“I couldn’t help it, he said mean stuff, I told him to shut up, but he wouldn’t. I’m sorry mommy I couldn’t stop.”

“Hello Mr. and Mrs. Lupin I’m Samuel Caldwell, the school principal. I really wish we didn’t have to meet under such circumstances. It seems your son has a very violent temper we were unaware of when you signed him up. He injured a boy in a fight. The boy had to be taken to the hospital to make sure that there were no broken bones. Normally I just call the parents in have a talk and everything goes back to normal. The other boy is no angel, I had to talk to his parents twice already. However, he never sent another child to the hospital, he really only teased them a bit. I’m suggesting to keep Remus home until next Monday. I would have his condition checked maybe it’s a chemical imbalance.”

“We’ll do that.” John wrote something on a piece of paper and handed it to the principal. “Here is my address, please have the parents send all the hospital bills to my attention. I’ll make sure that they’re paid.”

The Lupins left the school.

“Remus, sweetheart what happened?” asked Heather.

“I hit him and couldn’t stop. It was like not me, but I was doing it. I’m sorry mommy I didn’t mean to do it. Did I hit him bad? They had to take him away.”

“Not too bad, but you still hurt him. Honey, sometimes the dog makes you do bad things that you wouldn’t normally do.”

“But I’m not the dog now. Why is this happening?” cried Remus.

John looked at his son sadly, “Son, the dog is always there wanting to get out, even though you only turn into the dog once a month.”

“I wish he would just go away.”

“Daddy’s going to find a way.”

Later that evening when Remus was sleeping it started. His first nightmare, he transformed into the wolf and was chasing the boy he beat up and mutilated him. Remus woke up screaming and crying.

“Did you hear that?” inquired Heather.

“Yeah, let’s check on him.”

When they got there Remus was sobbing. Heather put her arms around him.

“Can you tell us what happened?”

“I became the dog and chased Richard, caught him and then was biting and scratching him there was blood everywhere. I don’t want to be bad.”

John was concerned whether this was a dream or what the wolf wanted to do to the boy. John went to the kitchen and mixed a potion so Remus could have a dreamless sleep.

After fulfilling his suspension Remus returned to school and apologized to the boy. His demeanor was totally different; he became the shy polite boy he was before the bite. Because he scared everyone after that fight no one went near him. He was lonelier and more miserable than before. He did well in school far more intelligent then all the kids in his class. His best subject was math, he loved numbers and how they all worked. In his life of uncertainties, math was a constant no matter how you slice it one plus one will always equal two.

As the next full moon approached John gave Remus a calming potion for the Thursday and Friday before the full moon which was on a Sunday. On Sunday morning John gave Remus something for his fever, so most of the day he would feel fine. All he wanted to do was rest. The transformation went much as it did the previous month, except they did not go to comfort him. That will come in the morning. They stayed awake through the night, between the screaming, snarling, barking and the yelps of pain. As twilight emerged John went to the basement and gathered his broken son. He charmed his broken bones, and put potions on his cuts. He was hoping not to see any new scars. Remus had four so far. Two from the night bitten, and two from the first transformation. Though, two of them weren’t really that bad. Interestingly, the scar from the initial bite was red and swollen.

That afternoon Emily Robenblatt, from Werewolf Support Services, stopped by raised her wand to his wrist and the number 0812651 appeared. She made sure that the transformation went okay and that the Lupins themselves were doing okay. With most lycanthrops they insist that they go to St. Mungos for the first six months until they learned the charms and potions required to care for a werewolf after transformation. John being who he was skipped that formality. Emily left wishing all her cases were like this, John and Heather really loved their son and were committed to do anything they can to help Remus
.
Remus missed school Monday and Tuesday and went back on Wednesday. After the third straight month of absences, Remus parents got a note from the principal. He wanted to see Mr. and Mrs. Lupin concerning Remus’ frequent absences and how it might prevent him from advancing.

“Hello Mr. and Mrs. Lupin how very nice to see you again. I brought you here because I’m concerned. We take kindergarten very seriously here. Remus is an exceptional student, but being absent at some point will hurt his academia.

“Mr. Caldwell, Remus has a very rare blood disease and once a month he needs to go for treatments. These treatments are exhausting and the best thing for him is sleep. We will make sure that he keeps his grades up.”

“How long will Remus have this problem?”

John looked somberly at the man. “The rest of his life.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. I will note his file and these will be excused absences and not used against him for any further advancement as long as he keeps his grades up."

"Thank you," said Heather.

"Mr. and Mrs. Lupin, again I’m sorry for your son’s illness. I have another situation I was hoping to discuss, he didn’t get off on the right footing at the beginning of school, but I imagined you took my advice and took him to a doctor, because since he’s been the sweetest most polite boy in his grade. The problem is he has no friends.”

“None at all?” asked Heather.

“Usually most children have one, but he just goes off and plays by himself. I have caught him more than once in tears. When I ask him what’s wrong he says nothing, he’s fine.”

This broke John and Heather’s heart. Already the wolf has affected his life, and no one knows of his problem.

Word spread about Remus’ “illness” it was worse then ever. The adults were coddling him and the children teased him continuously. He liked it better when they left him alone and fearful of him.


While life was going on for the Lupins, they didn’t know that they were being watched. Fenrir Greyback didn’t leave the country as the Werewolf Capture Unit and the aurors had thought. He watched what was transpiring at the Lupin’s household and did not like it one bit. They should have given up by now. But there they sat like an ordinary family. The boy seemed sad, but his parents doted on him and they did things like nothing was wrong. Lupin was supposed to suffer. Not just be sad, he’s supposed to be at his wit’s end ready to give the child over to him. Fine if he can’t have the child no one will.

John noticed in the past few months how heightened Remus senses became especially near the full moon. One night about a week before the full moon Remus was woken, he thought he heard something. He snuck downstairs and saw a man.

“Incendio!!” and a curtain caught on fire. The man turned around and saw Remus.

“Stupefy!!” and Remus went rigid. The man chanted the incantation of Incendio in all the rooms of the bottom level then apparated. Within seconds the house was inflamed. The spell wore off on Remus as he ran upstairs to get his mother and father. He shook them violently
.
“Mum, Da wake up the house in on fire!!”

They woke up immediately.

“Where’s Florry?” cried Heather.

John went to her room but it was too late, it was already engulfed. He only hoped she apparated in time. The smoke was getting heavy and John knew he had to get his family out. He never tried apparating with three people, but this was a desperate situation. They all hugged tight and with in an instant they were all safe outside all intact. However, this exhausted John and he was no match against the fire that engulfed his home. Because they lived out in the middle of nowhere by the time the muggle fire department came it was all gone. Not only the house and all it’s contents, but the barn was gone too. They lost all their horses including Merlin that night. But worse they lost Florry.

The police officer offered to give them a ride to town in order to telephone someone. They took the ride and called Bill Barnes. This would be the first time he's seen his grandson since he was bitten. Bill drove down to Rhayader and picked up the now homeless family. On the way back to Sheffield Remus and Heather sat in the back seat. Remus sleeping with his head on Heather’s lap and Heather leaning her head against the window catching a few winks.

“Thanks Bill, we really appreciate it.”

“I’m just glad you’re all safe.”

“Thanks to Remus. Because he has heightened senses he heard something downstairs. He actually saw the person who did this.”

“Did he tell the police?”

“No, it was a wizard. He’ll tell the ministry.”

“How do you know?”

“The person hexed him, due to the nature of his situation; some spells do not affect him as they do other wizards. The hex should have lasted about half-hour, it lasted seconds on him. When he came to the man was gone but came up to get us. It was too late for Florry, though.”

“How is the boy doing?”

“It’s been six months since he has been bitten. He has resigned himself to the fact that he had to go to the basement every month. He knows he changes, but the wolf still mauls itself. I’m hoping in the spring to go to Romania, I have heard there might be some promising break throughs.”

“What does Seamus, think?”

“I’m foolish. But I can’t just do nothing.”

“He told me there was only one cure.”

“He’s not an animal. Look at him; he’s a sweet, kind and loving boy. How can I kill him?”

Bill looked at his grandson, and at the moment he saw a beautiful young boy. But he knew he was a monster just waiting to come out, waiting to kill. The rest of the ride was quiet; they finally got to the house. Remus was still sleeping. John picked him up and brought him upstairs. Anne was nervous about having a werewolf in the house. She loved her grandson but was frightened of him at the same time. Heather made sure he was comfortable, before going downstairs.

“He’s going to be alright here?” asked Anne.

“John got us all out on time he’ll be fine.”

“That’s not what I mean.”

“The full moon is next week, Mother. We’ll make sure we have a new place by then. Is that why you didn’t come during the holidays? He was perfectly fine you know. He loved the gifts but cried because you couldn’t or should I say wouldn’t be there. He has been having trouble fitting in at school; at least his home life should be as normal as possible. We try but it’s hard when his grandparents and ever his godfather are frightened of him.”

Remus woke because of the yelling. He came downstairs.

“Can we go home now? I don’t want anyone to be scared of me. I’m sorry grandma.”

Heather glared at her mother. “Sweetheart, our home is gone. But we won’t stay here too long. Daddy needs to go to the bank and get some money, then we we'll go shopping for all new clothes, and a new house.”

“With a good basement?”

“With a good basement.”

It was finally eight o’clock and John apparated to Gringotts. He took out about a thousand galleons and had it converted to muggle money. He apparated back to Heather’s parents house. Heather was looking up hotels when he arrived.

“I have some money, lets go shopping. It’s been a stressful few hours. I’ll need to go back to the house and see what can be salvaged, and make arrangements for Florry. I’ll check the Prophet and see if they can run something for her.” John looked horrible he hadn’t had any sleep and had a full day ahead of him. He needed to find a house as soon as possible. The full moon was next week and there was no way that Remus was spending it at the ministry werewolf containment center.

“Father, may I take the car and take Remus shopping. I promise he won’t claw up or piss on the leather,” asked Heather.

“Heather.”

“I’m sorry; it’s been a long night. I wanted to take Remus to London. We can take the train if you like.”

“Take the car. We don’t hate him you know.”

“I know just scared.”

“John, can you transfigure us some clothing?” They were still dressed in their pajamas. With a wave of his wand the three had muggle clothing on. “We’ll meet you back here?”

“Sure, have fun.”

Heather and Remus head to London via car and John apparated to their house. There was nothing left. Gone was the priceless artwork, gone were all the even more priceless pictures. When Remus’ first came home, his first steps, his first day of school. His first piece of magic. The tiara he gave Heather for their wedding, the rattle she gave him for their anniversary, it was all gone. He started to sift through the rubble and smiled, he found the tiara, a little out of sorts, but he can have it repaired. He dug further through more rubble and found the precious rattle. He walked through and found what he really came for the remains of Florry. He lovingly wrapped them up and dug a grave on the property she loved so much. He would have a service for her in the next few days right here.

As John was leaving something caught his eye it shined in the sunlight. It was a frame. He pulled it out of the rubble and there was a formal picture of the three of them right after Remus came home. He took his three worldly possessions looked at them and smiled. The three happiest moments of his life. The day he married Heather, the day she told him she was having a baby, and the day they brought Remus home. From these small things they would start a new life together John apparated to the house in London this would be their home until they found a new house. He waved his wand and it started to clean itself John decided to rest for awhile.

Heather and Remus left soon after John apparated.

“Why does Grandma hate me?”

“She doesn’t hate you, just scared of you. And once a month she should be. She doesn’t understand and like most people they are afraid of what they don’t understand. I’m sorry to say Remus she won’t be the last person to feel this way about you. You’re birthday is coming up would you like anything special?”

“A new home with a good basement, a school where they’ll like me, and not to be a werewolf.”

“I’ll see what I can do about the first two.”

The rest of the ride went quietly only the radio broke the silence. She parked the car in front of their London home and decided to take the tube to the shopping areas. For Remus this was his first tube ride. He was amazed at how fast it went and all the people getting off and on. They got off at King’s Crossing and Remus saw all the trains lining up. He just wanted to stay there and watch. But most of all he wanted to go on one of them. The tube was fun, but the train was going to far away places. Places he wanted to go. They hit all kinds of clothing shops in London and needless to say Remus was very bored. Then she decided to take him to the special shopping area. One more stop. They went through this tavern called the Leaky Cauldron.

“Hello, Tom could you let us through?”

“Of course Mrs. Lupin.”

Remus tugged at his mother’s dress. “It’s him.”

“Who him?”

“The one that was in our house.”

“Where?”

“In the picure.”

Heather looked at the wanted poster and there was a picture of Fenrir Greyback.

Heather turned white, she took Remus’ hand and ran out of the Leaky Cauldron.

“Don’t you want to go through?” yelled Tom as she and Remus left.

There was only one place where she can talk to someone. St. Mungo’s she only hoped he was there.

John woke to a clean house, he decided he needed a place where Remus could transform and knew just who to talk to. He apparated to St. Mungo’s hoping that Seamus would still be there. John walked into the abandoned store front and into the hospital. He went to Dai Llwellyn Ward and there was Seamus talking to another Healer. Seamus turned around and saw John.

“John, thank goodness you’re alive!!” He went to the man he thought of as a son and hugged him. “I just heard of the fire and was giving instructions so I could leave. Heather and Remus?”

“They’re fine, thanks to Remus’ acute hearing. He heard something downstairs though he could not stop the fire he woke us up and warned us so we could get out. The house is completely destroyed.”

Just then Heather ran in with Remus in tow. She ran to John and gave him a huge hug and started sobbing. “I think he’s after us.”

“Who?”

“Greyback.”

“Why.”

“Remus saw a picture of him and told me he was the one that he saw in the house.”

Seamus contacted the Werewolf Capture Unit and they swarmed to St. Mungo’s They asked the Lupins all sorts of questions and they were there for hours. Finally they were almost finished.

“By the way you know what next week is?”

“I’m fully aware.”

“If you don’t have somewhere safe for your son to transform, he needs to be taken to the containment center. Contact someone at the Werewolf Support Services when you find somewhere,” said the head of the unit. “We’re going full out to get Greyback. Good luck”

What the Lupins didn' know was that Greyback had spied on them and watched as they apparated. He then headed to St. Mungo's hoping to find out what the family's next move would be. Greyback was hiding and heard the conversation and decided it was time to leave the country. He would get his revenge against Lupin another day when he least expected it.

“Thank you Seamus, again. I have another favor to ask? The cottage you have in Killerton, does it have a basement?”

“No, but it has a shed. I take it you need somewhere for Remus to transform next week?”

“Yes, I can’t send him to the Containment Center. We’ve seen what happens there.”

“It will need to be cleaned out but you are more than welcome to use it.”

“Again thank you. What would we do with out you.”

Seamus just gave a weak smile.
Sign up to rate and review this story