Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Boy, The Man, The Beast

Obsesssed

by Moonshyne 0 reviews

John is obsessed at finding a cure but at what price?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Lupin - Published: 2008-07-19 - Updated: 2008-07-19 - 3520 words

2Cliche
The months passed and the Lupins found another house, in another part of England. This was smaller then the one they had in Rhayader. Remus was entering the first grade at a new school, this time they used a kidney disease as an excuse for his absences. After three months he was expelled from school for aggressive behavior. Remus was finding it harder and harder to control the wolf’s urges for domination.

During this time John was doing all he could to find a cure. He had traveled to different places for weeks at a time always coming home for Remus’ transformations. Heather sent owls which seemed to go unanswered. John came home for Remus’ November transformation.

“John, after Remus transforms we have to talk.”

“Sure, sweetheart.”

They listened in the basement for the usual sounds, the screaming the crying the howling and finally the yelping.

“Didn’t you get my owl?”

“Which one?”

“Which one?? The one where your son got thrown out of school.”

John remembering the stack of unopened mail from Heather that he meant to take time and read. “Well you see honey, I’m working with a potions master in Romania and we’ve just been working day and night and I never opened that letter.”

“I’m concerned that it’s getting worse.”

“I’ll make a stronger calming potion.”

“I guess. How’s it going?”

“We might be on to something, next full moon I might need him to test something. Is Remus in school now?”

"Yes, I found a nice private school that took him.”

“Good.”

“It was really quite expensive, since the term had already began.”

“Don’t worry we have the money.”

They just sat in each other’s arms in the living room waiting for the night to end. When the moon set, John went to the basement and gathered his broken son. Healed what he could and wrapped up the rest.

“Sweetheart, I have to head back. In three hours check his bandages some of the cuts will have healed, if any are still raw use the salve potion and rebandage it. I love you see you soon.”

“John, will you be home for the holidays?”

“Of course I will.”

“The full moon is between Christmas and New Years this year.”

“I know I’ll be here for Christmas, love. I have something special picked out for you and Remus.”

“We just want you home.”

With that he winked, went upstairs gave Remus a kiss on the forehead, and Heather a kiss, then apparated.

Christmas Eve was here and Heather and Remus were so excited that John was going to be home for the holiday. The house was all decorated, again Heather’s parents refused to come for the holidays under the guise of a prior commitment. However they did send Remus a really nice train set that you could add on to. If they’re basement wasn’t being used for other purposes it would have been nice to set it up there. But the attic seemed like a nice alternative. Heather and Remus waited and waited until seven o’clock that night when an owl appeared. John wasn’t going to make it home after all. He would see them on the full moon. It seemed there was a breakthrough in Turkey they had to check out.

“Remus, make your list for Santa, and seal it in an envelope.”

After leaving the letter, a glass of mild and a plate with cookies and carrots for Santa and the reindeer, Remus went to bed. Heather could hear his soft cries. She was going to kill John for doing this to him. Around midnight Heather started to put the gifts under the tree, and heard a scream coming from Remus’ bedroom. She ran up the stairs two by two.

“Baby what’s the matter.”

“I had a dream that Daddy wasn’t coming back.”

“He’ll be back, don’t worry.” She definitely was going to kill John.

Christmas was a low key affair with just the two of them. Heather had saved half his gifts for when John came home. The morning of December 27th , John snuck in the house before they awoke and laid his presents along with all the others under the tree. He was exhausted from his late nights and early mornings traveling to find a cure he never knew there were so many little villages in Turkey. He was just going to lay on the couch before they got up and then he was going to wake them with a good hearty breakfast. A while later, John woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs. Heather did not notice John on the couch.

She mumbled to herself. “He had better not show up just as the moon is setting or there will be hell to pay.”

“And what kind of hell would that be sweetheart?”

Heather jumped at his voice, he eyes grew wide and she started crying “John?”

“Shhh. I’m here.” He gave her a very passionate kiss. Then she did the unspeakable slapped him across the face.

“If you ever disappoint Remus again like that, don’t bother coming home.”

“Honey I”

“Don’t here’s his list for Santa he made Christmas Eve after you finally owled us.” John took it and read it ‘Dear Santa, here is my christmas list; Daddy. Love Remus Lupin’.

John looked down “I’m sorry.”

“Not me, him.”

All of the sudden there was loud noises coming from the stairs, Remus turned the corner to the kitchen and there stood his father. He ran into his arms.

“So my bad dream isn’t coming true.”

“I told you, baby.”

John just glared at Heather for not telling him about the “bad dream”.

They opened presents and had a great meal, Heather cleaned up and by that time. It was time to take Remus to the basement. John escorted him there. “Remember pal, I love you no matter where I am, and I’ll always be here when you turn into the dog. I’ll see you in the morning.”

Remus gave his dad a hug and a kiss. “Night, see you in the morning.” He had a huge smile on his face. John knew in a matter of minutes that would all change so he enjoyed it while it was there.

After Remus transformed, John and Heather held each other on the couch. “This is heaven, how many nights do I get you for?”

John was trying to avoid this question, but since Heather brought it up. “I’m leaving Thursday.”

“What, the day after tomorrow, Thursday?”

“Yes in the mountains of the Himilayas there is a rare flower that only blooms at New Years between twelve and twelve-thirty. This might hold the cure. And because of the winds and snow, we can’t apparate. It’s a two day journey.”

“So I was alone for Christmas and now I’ll be alone for New Years. That’s it I’m going out and find me a babysitter and a date.”

“Heather, please understand. Imagine his life without any of these trappings. No fighting, no nightmares, no transformations.”

“I know, but it’s hard and I have needs.”

“And Mrs. Lupin what might those be?”

John scooped his wife up in his arms, she gave him a look of worry. “There’s nothing more we can do for him for a few hours.”

When the moon set John went to the basement and got Remus, after washing him off he applied the potions and charms to start the healing process.

“How is he?”

“Actually, not too bad.”

“He’s happy his father’s home, and by the way you have to tell him you’re leaving tomorrow. I can’t bear to see the disappointment on his face.”

Later that day, John broke the news to Remus that he was leaving the next day. It broke his heart at the disappointment. If the flower didn’t only bloom for a half hour one night of the year there was no way he was leaving his family but there will be many more Christmases and New Years ones without transformations if all went well.

The next morning John gave his son a hug and kiss on his forehead, then turned and gave his wife a hug and long kiss.

“I love you, Happy New Year. I’ll send you an owl and let you know how we made out.”

A week later Heather received an owl with a note saying they retrieved the flower and will be mixing the potion, he should be home for the next full moon if not sooner. Meanwhile Remus was heartbroken when his father left again so soon. At school he got mad when a little girl was telling her friends how she and her family went to the beach for the holidays and of all the things she and her father did together. Her beautiful hair had gum throughout it. Remus was shocked he was mad and thought about it and it happened. Just then some men in cloaks came said some weird stuff, the gum came out of the girls hair and then they took Remus home.

“Mrs. Lupin, I’m Cornelius Fudge and I work for the Reversal for Accidental Magic Department. Your son apparently decided a little girl’s hair would look better if it was full of gum.”

“Mum, I’m sorry she was talking about how great her holidays were with her father and I wanted her worse nightmare to happen. I guess that’s what it was.”

“Mr. Lupin”, said Fudge. “You are a wizard you have to be more careful especially where muggles are concerned. Though there is some co mingling,” he looked at Heather, “for the most part they do not know we exist. Please try to keep your temper.”

“I’m sorry it will never happen again.”

John came home the next full moon and had a long talk about responsibility and the power of magic, and two days later he was off again.

The next time he came home, Heather was in a bad mood and barely spoke to him. She sent owls on many occasions and not one got a reply. Valentine’s Day came and went with no acknowledgement. She was not happy with him, and she only hoped that she would remember what was coming up, maybe if she talked in moon phases he’d get it. As John was leaving she finally spoke to him.

“Are going to be here around the new moon?”

“Sweetheart, you know I try and get here as often as I can. Anything particular about this new moon?”

“No John absolutely nothing. Well nothing that is of any importance to you, or so it would seem. But Remus? Well it’s not everyday you turn seven.”

John looked slightly embarrassed, he forgot his son’s birthday. “I’ll be here. I’ll see you both in two weeks.”

The morning of March 10th came it was a Friday. The next day his mother was having a party for Remus with his school friends. She didn’t normally let him miss school because he already missed so much, but his father was supposed to come home today. She sent John at least three owls to remind him. Remus woke up and Heather made his favorite breakfast Belgium waffles with whip cream, strawberries and bananas. She was excited that he ate the whole plate. Lately due to John’s absences he hasn’t been eating well. He’s so thin, maybe John will finally see what she is talking about. After breakfast Remus got dressed in the new clothes that Heather set out for him and waited, and waited.

“What time did Da say he was coming?”

Heather bit her lower lip, “He didn’t.”

Remus stormed up to his room and started to cry. He cried himself to sleep, when he awoke he felt someone rubbing his back.

“Mum, please go away.”

“If I were Mum I might.”

Remus eyes were wide, he turned around and gave his father a huge hug. John wrapped his arms around the boy noticing how thin he had become. Maybe Heather was right.

“Come on Mum’s made us some lunch.”

That night they had a small party. Heather’s parents came, after she assured them that Remus would be safe also Seamus came. The six of them had a great time. Heather was so happy to see the smile on her son’s face.

“So what did you wish for, Remus?” asked John.

“I can’t tell or it won’t come true.”

“Okay, time for bed. You have a big day tomorrow.”

Heather and John brought Remus upstairs to his room, had him brush his teeth, say his prayers, and tucked him in.

“Mum, don’t bother no one is going to show.”

“Don’t say that.”

“No one likes me they think I’m a freak, and I am aren’t I?”

“No sweetheart, something bad happened to you. Don’t let anyone call you that.”

“Remus, hopefully I’ll make it all better soon.”

“Thanks, Da and Mum. Night”

The next day went as predicted, no one showed at his party. If Remus was upset he didn’t show it. His father got him a magical broom for his birthday, and was showing Remus how to use it. He was having a blast. Heather smiled watching her family and Seamus in the living chatting, John and Remus outside having fun. Though the day did not go as planned, it was still perfect for Remus.

The next day the Barnes had left and made sure to give Remus big hugs and kisses. Seamus had work at the hospital and so it was the three of them.

“Ready for bed, you have school tomorrow.”

“Will I see you when I wake up tomorrow, Da?”

“Of course Remus.”

After putting Remus to bed it was John and Heather.

“You have made him so happy this weekend, stay until after the full moon?”

“You know I can’t I’m leaving tomorrow after Remus goes to school.”

“I only know is that my little boy was the happiest he’s been in ages and you are going to destroy it.”

“But the bigger picture.”

“There is none bigger than him, right here and right now.”

“Heather, please everything I do is for him.”

“If you plan on leaving, don’t bother coming to our bed. Good night John.”

The next morning John got up early and made breakfast, as an apology to Heather. But she was still upset.

“Are you going to be here when I get home, Da?”

“No, I have to leave again.”

“Stupid birthday wish. I wish I never made it. I wished you would stay home with us. Me and mum. I guess I’m too much of a freak for my dad to even be with me.”

“Remus, that’s not true.”

“Then why won’t you stay with me. You only stay when the monster does something bad, even then you leave when I start to feel better. Just go and don’t bother with the next full moon.”

“Remus.”

“John, if you are going, just go. You’ve done enough damage.”

“Heather?”

“GO!!!”

John apparated.

“C’mon off to school you go.”

Between the humiliaton of no one showing up for his party and the fight he had with his father, Remus was on the edge. Usually these emotions are close to the surface around the full moon, but this was a very bad day. After lunch sure enough there was only so much the boy could take and he lost it. He ended up putting a boy in the pond that was on the school grounds. Well needless to say that the men in the cloaks showed up again muttered some words and it was all over. Again he was taken home and both he and his mother were given a stern talking to. The next day Remus came home early with a letter of expulsion for aggressive behavior. Heather tried numerous schools finally found one that would take him, it was a school for undisciplined children. It was only for a little over two months and he really needed a structured education.

When John came home for the transformations he and Heather were barely speaking finally the June transformation everything came to a head.

John went to the house and it was empty and dark, there was no sign of Heather or Remus. Last night was the full moon where could they be. John apparated to St. Mungo’s where he found Seamus. He told him that they were staying at the cottage in Killerton. John apparated as Heather was going to the shed to get Remus. John was a mess and she could tell that whatever happened the night before was bad. It was time this stopped. The toll is too much especially on Remus.

After John took Remus to one of the bedrooms upstairs and tending to his wounds, Heather finally spoke to him.

“How’s Remus?”

“It was horrible,” John said as he was making a cup of tea for himself. “I don’t think the wolf likes to transform in that shed.”

“It wasn’t so bad last year. I think it has nothing to do with the wolf and everything to do with the boy.”

“What do you mean?” John turned around and looked at Heather. She was badly bruised on her left cheek and both her arms.

“Sometimes the wolf reflects the emotions of the boy.”

“What happened to you?”

Heather looked down, “Does it really matter?”

“Did, did Remus do this?”

“He didn’t want to transform without you here, you promised you would always be here, so he fought me all the way. I got him in just in time. He’s strong John, especially the days of the full moon.”

“I tried to get here. I fell ill”

“I don’t want to hear it. I sat here all night wondering what I was going to do with your son when the morning came. I’m not a healer John.”

“Seamus would have been here.”

“So, I get to rely on Seamus again. Believe it or not he’s not my husband, though people at Remus’ last two schools thought so.”

“W-h-hat, last two schools?”

“Yeah two days after you left from his birthday weekend he was expelled. John I owled you and told you. I assumed you didn’t care since you never owled back. John, I understand that being married to me is hard and made you somewhat of an outcast in your world and a witch is much more suitable for you. But, Remus needs you. Please fit him into your new life.”

“What new life?”

“I want a divorce.”

“What?”

“It’s not working anymore. I need you, he needs you. And you need your obsession of finding a cure. Is there all that there is? Another woman perhaps?” Heather started crying.

John put his arms around his sobbing wife. “Sweetheart, I don’t want a divorce. I love both of you and missed you greatly. When I came home for the transformations each time the love I once found there was flickering. I was heartbroken when I came home this time and you and Remus weren’t there and your things were gone. I went to Seamus and he told me where you were and I came. And here we are.” John’s eyes were so welled with tears. “My question is where do we go from here?”

“Is there someone else?”

“Since I first laid eyes on you, I have never nor will I ever love anyone but you. No there was never anyone else.”

“You’re obsessed with finding a cure when there is none to be found. Remus has had his lycanthropy for almost two years and you have been gone the last nine months. I’m losing my sweet little boy because he desperately misses his Dad. You’re losing your chance just to be a dad to him. You have two choices here go back to where ever you were and continue to look, that being the case you lose Remus and I, or stay here and we’ll try to put our marriage and our family back together. I do love you with all my heart.”

“Then there’s only one thing I can do. I’m going back to Romania.”

Heather’s heart sank, she put her head on the table and started to cry. John came to her side of the table, crouched down next to her, moved her hands, with his index finger lifted on her chin lifted her head, looked in her eyes, and then kissed her forehead.

“Sweetheart, I need to get my stuff. I’m coming home.”
Sign up to rate and review this story