Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Boy, The Man, The Beast

A Last Wish

by Moonshyne 0 reviews

Seamus is dying, can an old friend grant his last wish?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Dumbledore,Lupin,Professor McGonagall - Published: 2008-07-19 - Updated: 2008-07-19 - 4036 words

1Moving
It took months for the nightmares to stop and for Remus to believe his father was never going to leave him again. It also took months for Heather and John to put their marriage back together. Remus was now in second grade he was doing better adjusting to school, though he still did not have any friends. During the fall a transformation of another kind happened. Remus became the sweet, kind, caring boy he was prior to John leaving. Life was finally getting back to normal or what is normal for the Lupin family.

At the Leaky Cauldron Seamus was sitting at a table waiting for an old friend for lunch. Suddenly, the fireplace filled with green smoke and there was a figures spinning around. It was Albus Dumbledore. Albus barely recognized his friend he was pale, thin and tired looking. His eyes were sagging, had dark circles and lost their gleam. Like someone who gave up on a losing battle.

“Albus!! How are you?”

“I’m doing well. But more importantly how are you? You don’t look well.”

“Honestly, I haven’t been well for years. I’m dying. I have anywhere from today to an outside chance of a month.”

“I’m sorry Seamus.”

“Don’t be I had a good life. I fought a war with a good friend; I had a beautiful wife that I will soon join, and a career that has been unbelievably satisfying. I have seen heartache and pain, happiness and tears. My only regret is that I could never help the one people I cared the most about.”

“And who would that be?”

“The Lupins. I would have given anything to find a cure for the curse that has been bestowed on their son Remus. He’s my godson you know. He’s a sweet talented boy, though he has been known to get into a little trouble with the Department of Accidental Magic. Fudge is beside himself.”

“Isn’t he always? Shh I never said that about our future Minister.”

“He’ll never be Minister.”

“He has high career goals; he’s already trying to make a name for himself.”

“Merlin, help us all.”

Tom, the owner of the Leaky Cauldron came by and took the men’s orders. Seamus also ordered a bottle for “Odgen’s Best” firewhiskey. Albus gave him a look.

“It’s not like it’s going to kill me.”

Albus gave a weak smile.

“I asked you here for two reasons. First is to say good bye. You have always been a good friend and I appreciate that. I will miss you Albus. Secondly it’s more of a last wish; please find a way to let Remus into Hogwarts. It would mean so much to John and Heather too. That family needs some happiness.”

“How are they taking the news?”

“I haven’t told them. I was looking for a cure at the beginning; last year was just bad they had so much on their plate. John was too obsessed with finding a cure it almost cost them their marriage, and Remus was feeling the effects. I couldn’t let Heather deal with this on top of all the problems she had with Remus. Now they’ve started to put their lives back together and find some happiness, I can’t take it away.”

“You should tell them.”

“I know. About Remus?”

“Seamus my old friend, that’s not possible. The book has already denied. I personally wouldn’t mind a werewolf it could take away the old prejudices. I can’t guarantee the safety of the students, the staff or the residents of Hogsmeade having a werewolf on the premises. And what about his safety once they find out. I will have every werewolf chaser this side of the pond after him. As much as I would love to have Remus I can’t take the risk.”

“Meet him at least.”

“I won’t give a child false hope.”

“He’s an extraordinary boy.”

“I’m sure he is.”

“So you won’t grant a dying man his last wish.”

“I can’t.”

Seamus sighed, “Good-bye dear friend.”

Two weeks after his meeting with Albus, Seamus lay awake in his bed feeling listless. He knew his time had come so he called his owl Prudent and gave him an envelope.

“The Lupins.”

In Wales as the Lupins were sitting down to tea after putting Remus to bed, they saw Prudent, Seamus’ owl at the window. John fed the owl and took the envelope that was addressed to himself, Heather and Remus. It opened it and read.

Dearest Family,

I don’t know how else to describe you. I’ve known all three of you before you were born. You have welcomed me into your home and your hearts too many times to count. We have been there for each other through the good times and bad, happy times and sad, and all the others in between.

John, what can I say? I was a friend to your parents, a guardian to you, a co-worker but mostly a friend to you. You let me into the most special moments of your life. You are such a brilliant healer I hope you find what you’re after, so our world can see what I already know. But mostly you are strong and brave, making the right decisions even when old fools disagreed with you. And it was the right decision.

Heather, my beautiful goddaughter, I thought the day you were born you were the most beautiful thing in the world I was wrong. On your wedding day I thought I would never see you look so beautiful and happy in your life again I was wrong. Nothing compared to the look when you first held Remus and thank you for letting me be there. Thank you for letting me be there when you needed someone but mostly making me feel like family.

Remus, my sweet caring Godson. I have two regrets in my life trying to talk your father into something that he did not believe in and not being able to see you grow up. Remember Remus always fight for what you believe in no matter how much pressure there is to abandon it. That first and foremost you are a person and no one can take that away not even the Ministry, just believe in yourself. Remember you are never truly alone and that you are loved. I will always be there to watch over you and be there in your heart. This is where your strength will lie. Your brilliance will take you far, but it’s the heart and endurance that will get you there as you face your journey ahead.

If you receive this note I will have probably passed on. Don’t be sad I lived a good and happy life mostly because of you. I have known for a while that I was dying but did not tell you because Merlin knows you have enough on your plate. Remember I love you all and take care of each other. I will miss you madly.

Love Always,

Seamus


“Should we wake Remus up?”

“No, let him sleep.”

John held Heather as they cried and then left to take care of matters with Seamus.

When John arrived at Seamus’ house he was still breathing but it was very shallow.

“Seamus?”

“John, I guess I sent my owl too early.” Seamus said with a lot of difficulty.

“No I think just in time.”

“I never wanted you to see me like this.”

“You said yourself we’re family. I’m relieved that I could be here. No one should die alone. Tell my parents I love them and miss them. Tell them about Remus and what a brave, caring boy he is.”

“Take care of Heather and Remus. I love you all.” Seamus said weakly he closed his mouth and his head slumped to the side. His chest stopped moving and his life slipped into the night.

John went outside looked at the stars, and cried. “Watch over us, Seamus.”

The funeral was two days later. It seemed wizards came from all over the place even the minister himself showed up. The service was simple yet beautiful with John giving a stirring eulogy.

After services had ended Albus was talking to Minerva McGonagall, the assistant headmistress at Hogwarts, when he noticed the Lupin family still remaining at the gravesite. John was hugging his wife and child. Heather did not look much different then she did nine years ago at their wedding and then he looked at their son Remus, the werewolf. To look at him you would never know and couldn’t even imagine what he became once a month. He looked into the boy’s eyes those very deep, dark blue with golden flecks. They were the saddest eyes he had ever seen on a child. It wasn’t just the death of Seamus it was something down deep. Albus a walked over to the trio, followed by Minerva.

“John, Heather I’m sorry we had to see each other on this occasion. I’m sorry for your loss.”

“Albus, you’ve met Heather, this is our son, Remus.”

“I’m very pleased to meet you sir.” Remus just stared at the man in total awe. He had heard stories of the man but it was incredible to be standing next to him and shaking his hand. Looking at the boy, then at the gravesite something pulled at his heart. If any child needed Hogwarts it was this one. But if he was to let a werewolf into the school he knew he would have to be very talented.

“John, Heather I hope I might stop by later this summer to talk about Remus.”

“Right now we’re staying at Seamus’ cottage in Killerton. I don’t know where we’ll be going from there.”

“I’ll send an owl.”

A week later the Lupins received an owl from Albus hoping to meet with them on August 13th. The owl waited for their reply in which they stated it would indeed be a good day. It will be five days after the full moon and with the new relaxation techniques that Heather taught Remus, he should have the wolf well under control.

August 13th was no ordinary day because no ordinary wizard was visiting. Albus Dumbledore apparated to the edge of the yard. The family was waiting inside. He knocked on the door and the John graciously let him in. Heather was staring at him with trepidation unsure of why he wanted to talk about Remus. However looking into those blue eyes that twinkled at her, she felt a comfort.

“Hello John, Heather where is Remus?”

“He’s upstairs in his room, I was hoping we could talk to you first before bringing him in here.”

“Would you like anything to eat or drink?” asked Heather nervously.

"I hear you make a wonderful lemonade if you don’t mind. It’s unusually warm for this time of year.”

“No problem.” They watched as she walked out.

“When dealing with mixed marriages, which I hate using that phrase, I need to know that you are both in agreement with Remus possibly receiving a magical education. Once we go down this path there is no turning back, especially with Remus. This will sound crude John but I was hoping to make an example of him to show the Ministry that they are wrong about werewolves. That they are just as human as you and me, they are smart, loving and caring people.”

Heather walked in with a pitcher of lemonade and three glasses. She poured some in each glass. Albus took a sip and made a pucker face.

“Some things just shouldn’t be done by magic. Heather this is by far the best lemonade I have ever tasted.”

“Thank you.”

“So what were you saying about using my son as a guinea pig?”

“Excuse me”

“It’s a muggle expression, when using someone for an experiment. He’s a boy and if this is what it means going to your school then he’s not going.”

Remus was listening by the stairs and tears started streaming down his eyes at the thought of not going to Hogwarts.

“Heather please understand I want him there primarily because he needs it. At Seamus’ funeral there was a sadness in his eyes that I have never seen in a child before.”

“His godfather had just passed away.”

“That’s not it, it was deeper than that.”

“You saw that? Remus has no friends, school is difficult. Not the academics he is so smart and try to take a book out of his hand. It’s the social aspect that’s the problem. They seem to sense that he’s different.”

“Well at Hogwarts there will be less differences.”

“At this early stage nothing is set and never being responsible for a werewolf before I have my questions and concerns.”

“Ask away,” said John.

“May I ask what happens when the full moon comes?”

"At first we locked him in the basement of the Lupin Manor until it was burned down. At our last house there was a large basement there too. Here there is a windowless shed for his transformations out in the woods. I have various silencing charms as no one can hear. I wouldn’t want anyone to get suspicious, since this was Seamus’ cottage. It’s a very painful process for him and very often he harms himself. The next day I take him from the shed and bring him home and start to heal any wounds he may have caused."

“Does he always hurt himself?”

“Yes.”

He was making a mental note that Madam Pomfrey would have to learn how to take care of the boy. “Is there any special instructions?”

He’s easily agitated a few days before and after; he also gets a little more daring. The morning of the full moon he gets flu like symptoms and I have made a potion to help him. Also he gets really angry that day too I have a calming potion whose effects can be cancelled by sugar.”

"I understand. May I see Remus?"

"Remus" called Heather. "There is someone here who wants to see you."

Remus came out slowly and cautiously.

"Hello, sir."

"Hello Remus, do you remember me?”

“Yes sir, you’re only the greatest wizard since Merlin.”

Albus chuckled, “Well I wouldn’t go that far. I am the Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Have you ever heard of it?"

"Yes sir I have, my father went there."

Albus turned to John and Heather, “If Remus and I could have some privacy.”

“Of course.”

“Remus I want to know if you have made anything strange happen you know magical?”

“Well, I made this girl have gum in her hair and put a boy in the pond at school. That man Fudge was mad.”

Albus had a twinkle in his eye, “I’m sure he was.”

“Do you know any spells?”

“Mom isn’t supposed to know.”

“Has your Dad been teaching you?”

“Yeah.”

“Can you show me some?”

“I’m no very good, since the wand I use in really suited for me.”

Remus showed him some first and second year charms. The whole time he was serious concentrating really hard as he completed each spell.

“Remus do you find this fun?”

“Yes sir.”

“I couldn’t tell. I didn’t see a smile.”

Just then there was a pop and a representative from the Department of Underage Magic appeared. Albus turned around “May I help you?”

“Oh Headmaster Dumbledore, I didn’t know you were here. We’ve had problems with this boy in the past.”

Albus winked at Remus with a twinkle in his eye. “I’m sure you have.” Remus looked down blushing but sure enough Albus spotted the slightest hint of a smile on his face. It was the first time since he met the boy that he saw one. “We were finished anyway.”

“Then I’ll be going.” The disappointment on Remus face could have been read a mile away.

“Now Remus you must not perform any of these spells, or that man will come back.”

“Please remember to be careful because no underage wizard outside of Hogwarts or any other magic school may perform it. You could be expelled.”

Remus lowered his head. “It’s not like I can get in any way.”

“That remains to be seen.” Albus’ mind was made up. He needed to get this child into Hogwarts. He needed to find a way.

"John, Heather and Remus. Thank You so very much for having me as your guest. I have to go now, but hope to talk to you again."

John escorted Albus to the door. "Is there hope?"

"John have I taught you nothing, there is always hope."

Dumbledore felt his dilemma as he went back to Hogwarts. Minerva McGonagall was about the most fair, honest and trustworthy witch that Albus knew that is why he chose her as the Assistant Headmistress. He needed her advice.

"Minerva, There is a student I wish to extend an invitation to attend Hogwarts. He needs special care though." She knew exactly who he was talking about.

"Albus, please I know you want to help Remus Lupin, but we have to think of the teachers, students and the people of Hogsmeade. I thought John was an exceptional student and the work he does to try to help Remus is commendable, but we can't change what is."

"I met him today. His parents are so heartbroken and he is so gifted and lonely. It's not fair he has to go through his lycanthropy, but to do it and have no comfort when he is not in that state. It's very tragic."

"I understand Albus, is his father any closer to a cure?"

"No, nor do I feel that he will. I fear that if Greyback gets a hold of him again he will not let go this time, and teach him to embrace the wolf within like his other “students”. I'm also afraid as Tom Riddle quietly builds his army he might like a trainable dark creature on his side. By the time he’s of age it probably won’t take a lot to get him to follow Tom especially if there are no change in the anti-werewolf laws. Tom is gaining confidence with some of the werewolves, due to Fenrir Greyback, and the Ministry of Magic."

"How does his parents deal with his transformations?"

"They have a shed in the forest for the actual transformation. The next day John heals any wounds he might have inflicted on himself."

"If we could only do that for him, maybe he could attend. Make the teachers take an unbreakable promise."

"I will never ask any teacher to make an unbreakable promise. They will just have to trust my judgment. Besides, very few staff will know the boy’s true condition."

The past headmasters in the portraits on the wall were starting to stir. Or pretending as they have been awake for a while now. Phineas Nigellus Black, a former Headmaster from Slyhterin House, had heard enough.

"A werewolf at Hogwarts never!!!" boomed Phineas Nigellus, "First half-bloods, then mudbloods, now werewolves!!! My great great grandson is expected the same year. Albus you are going to bring this school to ruin. The book tells you to deny this student. Do you think you are better than the rules of Hogwarts?"

"Phineas at one point we were not allowed to marry muggles, then we weren't allowed to teach their children, but we do now. And until I can figure a way that he can transform without hurting anyone else, or anyone else hurting him it’s a mute point. As you can see the book still says DENY."

Another year went by Remus was nine by now and another year had begun at Hogwarts. During the summer Albus went to the wedding of Arthur Weasley and Molly Prewett, former students of his. Arthur and Rubeus Hagrid, who was the key and game keeper at Hogwarts, had just a little too much to drink.

"Hey Hagrid did you find the secret passage between the third floor hall and the kitchens?"

"Nah, but there are so many secret passages no one could know them all."

Albus was not paying too much attention to them, accept at this comment. A secret passage, now that is an idea. But where? There was a decaying piece of farm land out in Hogsmeade, just maybe.

When they got back to Hogswarts Albus bought the plot of land in Hogsmeade. On this land Albus would have built a shack and use it as the Lupins used their shed. After much thought maybe the shack should be a much bigger maybe three floors. Hopefully this will help Remus he’ll be able to run around; maybe he’ll put lots of furniture so he can something to destroy. There should be a bedroom for where Remus can lie down after his transformations. He would worry about the shack later. He needed the tunnel built. Albus decided to hire tunnel diggers from the goblin community, the same ones who have built the tunnels at Gringotts Bank. The tunnels they have at the bank are amazing. As long as you pay them, they won’t ask any questions. The tunnel would be about half of a mile long and start close to the door that leads to the hospital wing and end in the outskirts of Hogsmeade. Albus' new dilemma was how to hide the tunnel from the other students. He could put wards and charms however he couldn’t take a chance the N.E.W.T. level student would feel the ward and try to break through it. He needed something that would totally deter them.

Another summer went by, and the teachers came back a week before the students did. Mrs. Sprout, the herbology teacher, was talking excitedly about the Whomping Willow trees that she encountered during vacation. Albus was very interested, when Professor Sprout told him all about it his eyes started to twinkle. He knew how to protect the entrance. Madame Pomfrey, the school healer, would escort Remus to the tree entrance.

The tunnel was done at the end of the school year in June 1971. During that time Albus had Hagrid in his spare time build the shack. It was three stories and rickety looking, so when the wind blew it would whistle and creak. It was perfect because it looked and sounded scary. Maybe with a few rumor it would be possible to keep students and onlookers away. When the school year ended, Madame Sprout planted the Whomping Willow sapling all by itself near the school. Albus cast an aging spell on it and there before him was a full grown Whomping Willow waving its branches wildly. There was a knot on the front Albus pressed it and the branches stopped moving. Albus cast a spell to reveal the tunnel entrance that he had hidden. He walked through the tunnel to the trap door that led to the shack. Albus conjured furniture made of wood through out the shack. The bed though was a larger version of what was in the dormitories and the sturdiest piece of furniture in the whole shack. Everything was complete waiting for its occupant. It wouldn’t have to wait too long as the first full moon would be September fifth. Four days after the boy arrived.

Minerva McGonagall opened the book to 1971 First Years and started to write out the letters, she was approaching Remus Lupins name expecting to send a denial letter however next to his name was ACCEPTED - WEREWOLF.

"Albus, Albus come here. Mr. Lupin's name is accepted."

With a gleam in his eye he said "I know." Albus looked up knowing that he could indeed grant a dying man’s last wish.
Sign up to rate and review this story