Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Boy, The Man, The Beast

Time to Go Shopping

by Moonshyne 0 reviews

Now that Remus has been accepted into Hogwarts it's time to get the needed supplies.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Lupin,Snape - Published: 2008-07-19 - Updated: 2008-07-19 - 3022 words

2Original
Heather had tried to put this Hogwarts business out of her mind as it had been close to three years since the visit. But as the years went by there were times she knew that maybe Hogwarts could help Remus. She knew that John and herself couldn’t do anything more for him.

The past three years had been hard on Remus no school would accept him either because of his past aggressive behavior or they did not want the liability of such a sickly child. So Remus was home schooled. John seeing this as an opportunity to search for a cure took Heather and Remus with him. They visited many places; some no child should ever visit. Remus was poked, prodded, and drank the nastiest tasting potions all in name of a cure. When residents found out what Remus was, and they always seem to, they were chased away. John had spent most of his fortune trying to find a cure, either in traveling or paying for a cure that didn’t exist. In the summer of 1971 it was time to go home.

It was a lazy summer morning when there was a tap on the kitchen window of the cottage that Seamus had left the Lupins after he passed away. Heather recognized the owl from almost three years ago she opened the window and saw that there were two letters. She fed the owl some treats and then he was off. One was addressed to Remus John Lupin and the other was addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Lupin.

“Remus, John, come down here there some mail for us.” Heather waited but there was no response she ran up the stairs. She went into her room and John was lay there still sleeping. She knew exactly how to wake him up. She sat down on the bed beside him, and whispered in his ear.

“Sweetheart, wake up.” She kissed him passionately on the lips, than his arms were around her.

“To what Mrs. Lupin do I deserve such extraordinary wake up call?”

“Remus got a letter from Hogwarts, so did we.”

“Did you open it?”

“I thought we would open it together. We could be there for him no matter what the news was.”

“Where is he now?”

“Still sleeping I was going to wake him up.”

“You do that while I get something on and I’ll meet you downstairs.”

Heather stood leaning on the door jam of Remus’ room looking at her sleeping son. In a few minutes he would be truly the happiest he’s been in a long time or he was going to be terribly heartbroken. She went over to the bed and sat next to him. “Remus,” she said softly.

“Go away I’m sleeping.”

“Then your father will open the letter that you got from Hogwarts.”

“What? Where?”

“Downstairs.”

Remus threw off his covers, jumped out of bed and ran down to the kitchen. John stood there with the look of the Cheshire Cat. Heather came down seeing John’s face she glared at him. He opened the envelope without her.

Remus opened it carefully, and read;

Dear Mr. Lupin,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.


That’s about as far as he read and started to jump up and down. “I made it. I’m in!!” He pulled out another piece of parchment this was the list of books and supplies that he would need for his first year. The smile on his face was priceless John thought it was the first real smile since Remus was bitten.

The letter addressed to John and Heather was from Albus Dumbledore, explaining what was expected of Remus in order to attend Hogwarts.

Dear John and Heather,

I am pleased to inform you that Remus has been accepted. The following precautions have been taken for the safety of Remus, his fellow students, the staff and the residents of Hogsmeade. I have built a tunnel, which the entrance is protected by a Whomping Willow that will start on school grounds near the dark forest and leads to a shack on the outskirts of Hogsmeade. He will make his transformations in the shack.

Due to the fact the first full moon in September is on the fifth I was hoping that he would attend the festivities as any other first year. I really don’t want him to be singled out for coming to school later then the others, and after all you are only a first year once. The dinnerware, flatware and goblets have changed from silver to gold as not to cause your son any harm. I believe that these precautions and adjustments are acceptable. I hope to see Remus on September 1st.

Yours Truly,

Albus Dumbledore


For the first time in a long time there was relief and happiness in the Lupin household.

Two weeks before the school started the Lupins visited someplace they had not visited in a very long time, Daigon Alley. They went to the Leaky Cauldron and John tapped the bricks in the appropriate order, the wall opened and there was a street bustling with witches and wizards. Remus stood there in astonishment.

I imagine the first stop would be Gringotts. Need to pay for all this,” said John. “Why don’t you two window shop, while I go to the bank.”

“But Dad I never been to a wizarding bank before.”

“Okay, let’s all go.”

“You two go I wanted to check out some things before we started our shopping. Besides my idea of going to the vault isn’t exactly fun. However, the ride would rival any thrill ride at an amusement park. Have fun boys. Meet me at Madame Malkins.”

John and Remus walked into Gringotts, he read that the bank was run by Goblins but never expected this. He also read that like him Goblins were not trusted in the wizarding world, but unlike him they were respected for their financial expertise. John walked up to one of the many goblins behind the counter.

“Vault 564 please.”

“Do you have the key?” He asked gruffly.

“Right here.”

John and Remus were escorted to a cart below the building, when they got on they took off and Remus was in for the ride of his life. There were twists and turns and climbs and dips. John smiled at his laughing son.

“Vault 564.”

John opened the door and there was a pile of gold galleons, and silver sickles and bronze knuts.

“Wow!!!”

John smiled if Remus had known just how much the pile had dwindled since Remus had been bitten. Actually looking at the pile John realized two things. It was time to sell the house in London and time to go back to work. Hopefully St. Mungo’s will require his special talent.

After returning with a sack of coins they met Heather at Madame Malkins for.

“I’ll meet you two later. I have some business I need to take care of.”

“Come on.”

Heather took out the list. It said Uniform, three work robes, a pointed hat, a pair of protective gloves and one winter cloak (black). Heather and Remus walked in and smiled at Madame Malkin.

“Please sit down I’ll be with you in a few minutes.” They noticed she was very busy. The dressing room was able to accommodate two students at a time and there were already two boys in there. The first was a tall teenager with long blonde hair he turned and took one look at Heather and gave a sneer. The second was a young boy like himself with black greasy hair and a large crooked nose. The older boy’s robes had two patches on them the first was a green with a silver snake through it. Remus thought, ‘He must be from Slytherin House.’ The second had a P on it. He was a prefect as well. The way that he sneered at his mother Remus didn’t like him at all and hoped never to cross paths with the boy again. But knowing that he himself was a dark creature it was inevitable that he would be sorted into Slytherin House. Madame Malkin finished with the teenage boy who gave Heather another sneer as he walked out.

“Next.”

Remus smiled at the other boy. Noticing how Remus’ mother looked at her son lovingly, the boy just gave him a nasty look. Not realizing that the boy was perhaps jealous because the two seemed to have a happy relationship, Remus looked down thinking ‘Here we go again, another school with no friends. Why would I think this would be different?’ Madame Malkin measured Remus and he walked out with three uniforms, three new robes, a hat, dragon hide gloves and a winter cloak.

“Mum, look a book store.”

“We’ll save that for last. I have a feeling once you get in we’ll never be able to get you out. We’re going to Scribbulus Everchanging Ink for your quills and ink.”

They walked into Scribbulus and Remus was again amazed at all the different kinds of ink and quills. There were lots of different types of parchment; some were even enchanted to have the writing disappear. After getting about half a dozen quills and a dozen bottles of ink, they left the store.

“Where next?”

“You’ll need a cauldron.”

“Can’t I just use one of Dad’s?

“No,” taking out the list again, “it says you need a pewter one size 2, and a set of brass scales, come on.”

They walked by a Quidditch supply store and there were kids looking in the window at the new Nimbus 1900. Remus remembered his broom at one he really only used it a few times, mostly on his seventh birthday when he received it.

After the Cauldron shop they went to get a brass telescope.

“What do you suppose I need this for?”

“Your father said that you will be studying the stars, as he did.”

“And the moon?”

“Probably sweetheart.”

“Won’t people notice that I’m gone during the full moon and maybe a day or two later.”

“I’m no expert but your father said that you only go to the Astronomy Tower once a week and the odds of a full moon that happening more than once or twice a school year is slim. Feel better?”

Remus nodded his head up and down. Heather gave her son a kiss on the forehead, and Remus rolled his eyes.

“Mummm.”

“That’s right you’re a grown young man now and can’t get kisses from your dreadfully old, ugly and weird mum.”

Remus shook his head and smirked.

They got the telescope and all that was left on the list was left.

Supply of basic potions, a wand and his books. The Apothecary was across the street. Heather took out another list.

“What’s that?”

“Supplies your dad needs.”

“For my potions?”

“Yes sweetheart among other things,” she did not want to tell him about another “cure” that John had come across.

“Will Dad be coming to help me before and after my transformations?”

“No there will be a mediwitch there. From what I hear she is very good. She started there your father’s last year. Honestly, I think your father had a crush on her. I think that’s why he became a healer.”

Remus raised his eyebrow and gave his mother an inquisitive look. Heather just broke into laughter.

They walked into the Apothecary shop and Heather walked up to the counter. Remus thought it smelled horrible in there and it was doing havoc to his senses. Rotten eggs and cabbage would be enough to make anyone sick but as Remus looked around there was a smell that made him dizzy and feel really nauseas.

“Mum, I need some fresh air.”

Heather went towards his voice and noticed how pale and ill he looked, Remus ran outside. Heather turned and looked at the jar in front of where Remus stood “Aconite”

She ran out and found him.

“I’m sorry Mum that smell was wretched, I guess it made me sick.”

“No sweetie, it was a potion ingredient that made you ill. Aconite. You know it better as Monkshood.”

“Oh.” Remus remembered touching the flower once and was sick for hours.

“Will I need that?”

“I’m not sure. You would have to ask your father about that. Stay here and let me get your supply of basic potion ingredients while I get what’s on your father’s list.”

Heather went back in the store while Remus waited outside still feeling a little nausea. Just then the greasy haired boy with the big nose was walking into the shop.

“Hi there.” said Remus.

“Where’s that muggle mother of yours?”

“In the shop”

“Potions scare you? Is that why you’re out here?”

“No, the smell made me sick.”

“Potions is an art that the likes of you would never understand.”

“Hey, my dad’s a healer and is great at potions.”

“Simple healing potions any third year could do that.”

“My dad does more than that. He has even invented his own potions.”

“And why would he have to do that?”

“To help people.” Remus thought to himself ‘Yeah people like me’.

“I need to get my supplies. Just remember healers aren’t really that good at potions.”

Heather walked out and saw that he so was fuming. “What happened?”

“That stupid git that was in the robe shop. He said that dad was lousy at potions being a healer any third year could do those potions.”

“You didn’t do anything?”

“No mum. I kept my head. Where next?”

After the Apothecary shop it was time to get a wand.

“Your father said that Ollivander’s is the best place for wands. I’ll take his word.”

They walked in and there was a boy with long black hair trying out wand. He was there with his mother. As the boy tried several wands each new one was causing more damage then the previous. The woman with him looked at Heather noticing her wardrobe was that of a muggle shot her a filthy look. The boy finally found what he was looking for and they left. Heather was never so happy. Remus was next as there was no one else in the store. Well Remus’ first wand was a disaster. Mr. Ollivander was not having a good day. Usually he was very good at figuring out who gets which wand. Well Remus’ next two choices were a little better but not by much. Finally Mr. Ollivander went back and came back with a wand made of holly with a core of dragon heartstrings. Excellent for someone who would do well against the dark arts. He handed Remus the wand and it was a perfect fit.

They still needed books. Just then John saw his family struggling with all the packages.

“Here let me take those.”

“Where have you been Mr. Lupin?”

“I’ll tell you later Mrs. Lupin, if you’re good.”

Heather smiled at her husband and gave him a huge kiss. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too.”

“Finally someone to relieve me and Remus of our packages.” She winked at her husband.

“So what’s next?”

“He just needs his books.”

They walked into Flourish and Botts. Remus’ eyes were wild with excitement. While John and Heather went and got school books Remus just went from pile to pile, and shelf to shelf.

“I’ll be right back.” John came back with a beautiful tawny owl its feathers matched the Remus’ hair color.

“Cool, for me?”

“Congratulations for making it into Hogwarts. Got a name?”

“How about Swoop?”

“Swoop it is.”

“We got everything?”

Heather and Remus nodded. He saw that there were a couple extra books then the eight required. Well let’s see we could go home or I have one more surprise up my sleeve.”

Both Heather and Remus smiled.

“No trip to Diagon Alley would be complete without a trip to Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor. There was a smile and a sparkle in Remus' eyes that hadn't been there before and just maybe in the adult Lupins as well. Heather was remembering again that she loved the world of magic. Remus was just astounded that there were places like this.

After the three got home, they had dinner and Remus went to bed early he was a little tired from their adventure. The elder Lupins went to bed shortly after.

“So where were you today?”

“Have you been a good girl, Mrs. Lupin?”

“Yes I have.”

“John gave Heather a diamond necklace and earrings identical to the ones she wore on her wedding day.”

“They’re beautiful.”

“They’re an early anniversary present. It’s going to be a busy couple of weeks and with our anniversary being the day after the full moon. It seemed now wouldn’t be a bad idea.”

“Not that I don’t appreciate it, but where am I going to wear them?”

“I’m sure the head healer of the Dai Lllewellyn ward would need to take his beautiful wife to an event or two where she could wear these. Or maybe you can make your husband very happy and wear the diamonds, just the diamonds.”

With that Heather put on the necklace and the earrings and took off her nightgown.

“Like this Mr. Lupin?”

“Just like that.” She still took his breath away.

“I believe you are very over dressed.”

“I believe I am.”

After passionately making love, John and Heather were laying in bed, with Heather laying her head on his shoulder. “Did you say head of the Dai Llewellyn wing?”

He kissed her forehead. “Yeah, I’m going back the St. Mungo’s on the thirteenth.”

She gave him a kiss goodnight and they fell asleep in each others arms after a long day at Daigon Alley.
Sign up to rate and review this story