Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Boy, The Man, The Beast

Where To Be Sorted

by Moonshyne 0 reviews

Remus is a dark creature, can the sorting hat see past that?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Dumbledore,James,Lupin,Professor McGonagall,Sirius,Snape - Published: 2008-07-19 - Updated: 2008-07-19 - 3943 words

2Illiterate
A/N Items in italic are taken directly from Deathly HallowsA Prince's Tale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the morning of September 1st things were hectic at the Lupin house. John and Heather were a wreck about leaving Remus at school so close to the full moon. And Remus because of nerves and uncertainty well to say he was in a foul mood was an understatement.

“I’M NOT GOING!!! IT WAS A STUPID IDEA. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING LETTING ME IN??? DUMBLEDORE IS MENTAL!!!”

Heather knocking sweetly on Remus’ door. “Sweetie, it will be wonderful, you’ll meet new friends, have new experiences. You won’t have us breathing down you neck.”

“You don’t breath down my neck, and what if it’s just like any other school? Then I won’t have friends or at least real friends. Once they found out about me.”

“Remus, the school has about a thousand students don’t you think that at least one won’t care that you’re a werewolf.”

“But finding that one.”

John came up and had a goblet. “Remus, I know I only do this the day before and the day of the full moon, but here’s a calming potion.”

“How often will I need those at school? No Dad I need to calm myself down.” Remus closed his eyes took some deep breaths and pictured a tranquil place. After a few minutes he got off of his bed, walked to the door, and opened it. “Let’s go.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



At the Black house things were calm and orderly. Kreacher the house elf packed all of Sirius’ things for school.

“Your cousins are coming by to get you.”

“Why aren’t you and Mother going?”

Orion slapped Sirius across the face. “You insolent little abomination. Don’t you ever talk to me like that or question my decisions. DO YOU HEAR ME?”

“Loud and clear. When are they getting here?”

Sirius prayed that Bellatrix, was not coming she already graduated from Hogwarts. He liked Andromeda, but Narcissa? She tried to be a mini blonde Bellatrix, though she was much weaker. He could deal with just these two. Just then a witch with long black hair appeared in the library fireplace.

“Bloody hell,” Sirius said under his breath.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



The Potter house was so relaxed it was like a trip into town, not that they were sending their only pampered child away for three months.

“Packed, son?”

“Bliss took care of it.” However James packed a special bag that his father knew nothing about. It contained dungbombs, the blue beetles, and fire whizzies. It was his secret bag. The Lupins arrived at King's Crossing Railroad Station and Remus looked around for Platform 9 ¾ .

"Dad, where is Platform 9 ¾? I only see Platforms 9 and 10."

"You see this barrier that separate tack 9 and 10, you have run through it."

"Really?"

Remus ran through the wall with his trolley and stared at all the people there. John took Heather's hand and they ran through the barrier. Heather was excited watching everything that was going on. She wasn't the only on. John noticed another couple who were just as bewildered as Heather. Their two daughters started lagging behind seemingly in some sort of row. John turned his attention back to his son. As they were walking toward the end of the train, John felt he was never so proud of his son.

“Remus, I never thought this day would come. I’m sure Headmaster Dumbledore has special rules for you. You can’t break them. He went through a lot of trouble to get you here now the rest is up to you. And remember take deep breaths when you get upset. We don’t want the wolf to rear its ugly head.”

“Like this morning?”

John smiled at his son “Like this morning.”

John gave Remus a big hug like he never wanted to let go. “Good luck son and know always that I love you.”

Heather touched her son's cheek she started to get teary eyed as they had not been apart one day since he was born. "I'll miss you so much sweetheart. Please be good and make lots of friends. If you need anything just send Swoop." She kissed his cheek lightly, "I love you baby."

Remus took his trunk and Swoop and boarded the train. He found an empty compartment in the carriage at the back of the train, and sat by the window. John and Heather were waiting on the platform until the train left the station.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Hey Bella. I got it from here.”

“You’re in the same compartment as Andromeda and Cissy.”

“Personally, Bella. I really don’t want either him or Andromeda with me it will cramp my style.”

“Fine.”

“As for you dear cousin,” Bellatrix mumbled something under her breath and he was locked in the men’s room inside the station.

The Potters arrived inside the station.

“Excuse me for a minute I need to go to the lavatory.”

Sirius heard someone “HELP, LET ME OUT!!!”

“Excuse me?”

“HELP!!”

“Stand back. Alohamora!!” The door became instantly unlocked.

“How did you get in there?”

“My cousin Bella’s cruel idea of a joke.”

They met up with James and Eloise. “I found this young man locked in the bathroom. Where is your trunk?”

Sirius looked around and finally spotted it.

“C’mon let’s go the train leaves at eleven sharp.”

Sirius smiled at least he was away from his pesky cousins. Well Andromeda was okay.

James gave his parents a quick hug and kiss. “See you over the holidays.”

The first whistle blew and families were saying their final good-byes when out of nowhere bolted two dark haired boys with trunks.

“C’mon we’re going to miss the train.”

They ran and just made it. They just started laughing. They began looking through carriages to see if there were any empty compartments.

Remus sat in compartment by across from a girl with red hair, contemplating. Though the full moon was days away, he could feel it pulling on him. He was scared he never transformed without his parents. Where would he go? A cage? In the dungeons? His parents got a letter but he never knew of the contents.

Sirius and Jame found a compartment with only two people in it.

"Do you mind if we sit with you two?"

Lily was trying to hide her tears while she shook her head. Remus just shook his head.

"My name is Sirius."

"And mine is James Potter.”

"My name is Remus Lupin. It seems you two have known each other for a while how long?”

“Actually we just met."

The three were talking rowdily about what they did for primary school. Remus was a bit surprised to find that James went St. George's.

"I was home schooled," added Sirius.

"I went to many schools. My father work took him to different parts of the Europe and Asia, so I never stayed at a school for too long. After a while my mother just started home schooling me.”

“Did she teach you some good spells?” asked the boy with the dark wild hair and hazel eyes and glasses.

“My mother is a muggle.”

Lily looked at Remus it was good to know there was someone similar to her. Sirius laughed to himself if hiis father only knew.

“Was that her at the shop?” asked Sirius.

“Yeah.”

“Cool,” said Sirius having never really meeting a muggle.

The train barely left the station when a boy with greasy haired walked into the cabin. He sat next to the red haired girl that no one was paying any mind to. The three continued talking until James heard the word he hated the most, Slytherin.

"Who want's to be in Slytherin? I think I'd leave, wouldn't you?" James was asking Sirius specifically.

"My whole family have been in Slytherin," he said.

"Blimey," said James, "and I thought you seemed all right?"

Sirius grinned.

"Maybe I'll break the tradition. Where are you heading, if you've got a choice?"

James lifted an invisible sword.

"'Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart!' Like my dad."The greasy haired boy made a noise and James turned on him.

"Got a problem with that?"
"No," sneered Snape. "If you'd rather be brawny than brainy ---"
"Where're you hoping to go, seeing as you're neither?" interjected Sirius.
James roared with laughter. The red haired girl had sat up, rather flushed and looked from James to Sirius in dislike.

"Come on Severus let's find another compartment."

"Oooooo..."

James and Sirius imitated her lofty voice; James tried to trip Snape as he passed.

"See ya Snivellus!" a voice called, as the compartment door slammed...
"Thank Merlin, they're gone," said Sirius,.

"I thought the red head was cute," smiled James.

As the train ride progressed the three were getting to know each other. Where they were from, likes and dislikes the time seemed to pass quickly. There was a knock on the door a kindly older woman showed up with a trolley filled with sweets. On the cart was something Remus rarely got to eat but loved. Actually he was hardly allowed sweets at all. His parents were afraid if he got too wound up on sugar the wolf would rear its ugly head. Maybe a small amount of sweets wouldn’t be too bad. He listened to what James and Sirius got and asked for the same thing.

“That will be nine sickles please.”

Remus took out a gold galleon from his money bag and it to her. As you see Remus never carried sickles as they are silver and would burn his skin at the mere touch. Remus had to think quick as he knew that he couldn’t handle the change.

“Here you are and here’s your change.”

“Could you just put it in my bag. My arms are rather full.”

“No problem, sweetie.”

Another disaster avoided. He wasn’t even close to Hogwarts and he had two close calls with the truth. Keeping his secret was going to be hard.

After they had their fill of cakes and candy, the boys taught Remus how to play exploding snap, a wizarding card game. Remus was a very quick learner and had actually come in second a few times. All of a sudden a boy came by with a P on his badge.

“You boys had better get your robes on.” James and Sirius started changing in the compartment but Remus just couldn’t. There would be way too many questions about the scars on his body. Remus took his clothes and found a private place to change.

“A bit modest that one is.”

“We’ll cure him of that.”

After they were changed and sat back down the three were excited with anticipation. The train stopped, they were at Hogsmeade station. As they got off there was a giant of a man crying for first years. The three looked up at him.

“Wow,” said all three
.
“’ello there my name is Rubeus Hagrid and I’m the keeper of keys and game at Hogwart’s if you would follow me. I have a real treat for you.” The boys watched as the older students left in carriages that were drawn by nothing. This indeed was a magical place. They walked down a rocky path to fleet of boats with lanterns on the front.

“Four to a boat.”

Remus, Sirius and James got into a boat with a smaller pudgier boy with blonde hair who sat in the front of the boat. James and Sirius sat in the middle, while Remus sat in the back. They were all in awe as the boats started to move by themselves heading to the castle. Sirius turned to James.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?” said Sirius.

“Yeah.”

The boats moved across the lake as the moon shone on the water Remus looked up the moon was waxing and could see how close it was to full. The boats sailed closer and closer to the cliff. The boats went through a curtain of ivy that hid an opening in the cliff face. They went through a dark tunnel which took them underneath the castle. They finally made land and went through a huge oak door.

Hagrid left them at the entrance, waiting for them was a stern looking witch all business.

“Welcome to Hogwarts, the start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall , you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here , your house will be your family. You will have classes with them, sleep in house dormitories and spend free time in your house common room.

“The four houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. Your triumphs will be rewarded with house points, while rule breaking will lose you points. At the end of the year the house with the most points will be awarded the house cup. In a few minutes you will be escorted into the front hall and be sorted into your prospective houses.” Professor McGonagall left to see if they were ready for them.

Remus asked "I wonder how it is done? There was nothing in "A History of Hogwarts".

"My parents refused to tell me" said Sirius.

"Mine too" said James.

"Well let's hope it's not too horrible," piped in the small pudgy boy.

With that Professor McGonagall returned.

"Now please follow me."

As they entered the Great Hall the three new found friends were amazed. Remus had read that the ceiling was enchanted to replicate the outside. At the end of the hall sat a stool with an old raggedy hat.

The sorting hat then started to sing its little sorting song, after it was done Professor McGonagall spoke again.

"When I call your name, please sit in the stool and I will place the hat on your head at this point it will assign you to a house. After the hat assigns you please be seated at the proper table until the sorting is complete. Answorth, Sean"

"Slytherin"

Remus asked what house did James and Sirius expect to be sorted in.

"Well considering my blood line I expect that it will be Slytherin. Not that is what I want I really would like Gryffindor. My family believes I have disgraced them already so what's being sorted in a house that was not theirs going to do?"

"I expect to be in Gryffindor as most of my family was."

“Black, Sirius”

Sirius went up to the sorting hat and McGonagall placed it on his head.

"Slytherin all your ancestors are, even a head master in your blood. I guess that you belong in ," Sirius closed his eyes hoping that this will change his fate, "Gryffindor."

The Gryffidor table erupted as this was their first sort of the night.

The sorts continued. With each sort Remus and James were getting more and more nervous.

"Evans, Lily"

James stared at the girl that briefly shared thier compartment. James thought to himself that she indeed was cute. The hat shouted "Gryffindor almost instantly."

Sirius noticed the look on James face and laughed to himself. Sirius desperately wanted James to be with him in Gryffindor. He already had done the hard part by getting in himself. He liked Remus enough, but there was something about James. He felt that they could be best mates and how cool would that be. Any indication from on the train he hoped they could cause as much trouble at Hogwarts as possible.

"Lupin, Remus."

McGonagall & Dumbledore watched intently as would they have to let someone else know the secret that was kept.

"Brave is this one, cunning as well, loyal as a dog, must be Gryffindor!!

More cheering from the Gryffindor table. Sirius clapping the loudest. Remus sat next to Sirius relieved because he always had problem making friends and it seemed Sirius and James took to him for some reason. Also relieved were McGonagall and Dumbledore the loop was still kept small.

"Pettigrew, Peter"

"Gryffindor"

Peter sat next to Remus and the sorting continued.

"Potter, James.”

"Without a doubt Gryffindor."

Sirius gave a yelp he had James with him and this new guy Remus was ok. Maybe they will be like the Muggle story the three musketeers. Getting in all sorts of trouble together, hopefully not getting caught too much. Remus moved down to make room so that James and Sirius could sit next to each other. Sirius nudged James.

"Look who it is? Snivellus," said Sirius, looking at the boy with the greasy hair and crooked nose.

"He could at least wash his hair for the ceremony" laughed James.

Lily, sitting across from James, just rolled her eyes.

"Maybe he just doesn't come from old rich wizarding families like you."

"Lily that is your name isn't it? We are just having a bit of fun. Look at him, he looks so sinister. What do you think Remus?

"He is rather sinister looking." Remus tried not to be too critical because as sinister as this boy could be once a month Remus was even more.

"Snape, Severus"

"Slytherin"

Lily gave a little smile at least he got sorted in the house he wanted,

After a few more sorts the ceremony was finally completed.

“Welcome to Hogwarts. I have a few words I would like to say. Tiddlywinks, googoo, blam. Enjoy your feast!!"

Everyone laughed.

Frank Longbottom a third year noticed that the tableware had changed since the prior years.

“They’ve added a touch of class to our dear school. Look the tableware is gold, it’s been silver for over a hundred years wonder what prompted the change.”

Remus looked at Dumbledore who raised his goblet and winked at him. Remus just smiled and joined the others in the feast. The food was so good. With the full moon approaching, Remus was ravenous. For desert Remus saw the chocolate pudding cakes and had at least four. Sirius of course noticed as he does not miss much.

“James, you thought Remus here has never had sweets look at him go!!! Go Remus Go!!" The group of them started laughing.

After the feast was finished Dumbledore again went to the pulpit.

"Silence, as always the dark forest is still forbidden. Mr Filch warned me yet again there shall be no magic done in the corridors between classes. We have a new tree on the grounds, this is called a Whomping Willow, and it has the capability of severely injuring if not killing you. If you want to keep all your limbs, please keep away from it. Lastly the fields in Hogsmeade everyone was so fond of has been sold and a shack has been placed there. I hear the occupants would appreciate if you stay off the property. Something about hex first and ask questions later. I trust no one will tempt this offer. Prefects take the first years to their dormitories."

Professor McGonagall approached Remus as he was leaving, "Please come with me Mr. Lupin."

Sirius turned to James, "Trouble before we get to the dorms, I think we made a great friend." And they laughed.

Professor McGonagall led Remus many stairs that seemed to move and down many corridors. They stopped in front of a large eagle where she gave the password of "Chocolate Frogs". And a secret passage opened, they climbed the stone stairs that led to a large circular room. The room had so many gadgets and a beautiful red and gold bird.

"Headmaster will be with you shortly."

Remus waited very nervously, did Dumbledore see him and changed his mind or maybe thought better of the idea?

Dumbledore came in followed by Professor McGonagall and Madame Pomfrey.

"Sit down Remus. I want to make sure we are perfectly clear on the conditions for your attendance at Hogwarts. I have gone to great lengths to make sure your transformations will be kept secret from your fellow students. I only hope that you will do the same. On the day of the full moon you will go to the hospital wing at dusk. You will eat your supper there. About 30 minutes before the moon has fully risen, Madame Pomfrey will take you to the Whomping Willow and let you in. There is a tunnel that will lead to a shack in the outskirts of Hogsmeade it is there that you will make your transformation. After the sun begins to rise Madame Pomfrey will come and get you from the shack. You will go to the hospital wing in a private room far from everyone else for your recovery. After she feels you are healthy and strong enough she will allow you back to your classes. Any questions?”

“Is that the tree and shack you mentioned in your speech?”

“Yes it is, I want students to keep away and not get curious. Remus, you look tired. I’ll have Professor McGonagall take you up to the dormitory. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.”

“Thank you Headmaster.”

“Most of all take advantage of all Hogwarts has to offer you. Not because you’re a werewolf, because you are a student. Good Luck, Remus. I believe Mssrs. Potter and Black are up in the tower waiting for you.”

After they left Phineas Niggell could hold his tongue any longer. “What house is the werewolf in?”

“Gryffindor.”

“Gryffindor? Is there another Black this year?”

“No. Just Sirius,” grinned Dumbledore.

“My great, great grandson is in Gryffindor? Every Black has been in Slytherin. The hat must be wrong. And he is in the same dormitory room as the wolf?”

“Of course he is.”

“If anything happens to him I will hold you personally responsible. I am off to let his parents know they will be very upset.”

“You may tell them about Sirius being in Gryffindor, however do not say anything about Mr. Lupin.”

As Professor McGonagall led Remus to the Gryffindor tower, “We will help you make excuses for your absences. Remus, do be careful about keeping this secret.”

“Believe me I know I have to keep it. What should I tell them why I was late?”

“I needed to talk to you about your course schedule.”

They got to the painting of the Fat Lady and Professor McGonagall gave the password of “Quidditch. Good Night Remus, see you in the morning.”

When Remus got to the Common Room, Fabian Prewett, a Gryffindor prefect instructed him how to get to his first year dormitory. When he got there his stuff was placed next to a four poster canopied bed between Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew.

“So what happened with McGonagall?” asked Sirius

“I had problems with my schedule.”

Sirius looked at James as if to say “Right”

“Well it’s been a long day why don’t we call it a night” said James.

“I’m all for that,” said Remus.

As Remus lay awake he remembered the talk with Dumbledore. As he promised he would not tell a soul. He felt so bad to lie to his new friends. It was one of the happiest days of his life and at the same time the saddest. He finally had new friends that really liked him and on the same day he had to let the lies begin. He wished that for one day he did not have to lie to friends.
Sign up to rate and review this story