Categories > Original > Fantasy > Of Beast and Man

Chapter Five - Lina/Shin

by Kairu-kun 0 reviews

"Simply because from the moment I saw you I found you to be the most beautiful thing I've laid eyes upon"

Category: Fantasy - Rating: R - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2008-07-30 - Updated: 2008-07-31 - 1948 words

0Unrated
Chapter Five - Lina/Shin

Shin awoke sometime a number of hours later. Silvery moonlight poured in through the cave mouth, casting a somewhat eerie glow across the random objects littering the floor. At first, Shin simply stretched his arms over his head. His eyes opened wide when he found Lina was no longer next to him. His eyes scanned the cave quickly, looking for any sign of her. When he found none, he sighed sadly and let his head hang low for a moment. After a minute or two he stood slowly and moved to the entrance of his temporary home. He propped a foot up on a small boulder and rested a hand on his knee, his gaze crossing the trees. It was roughly midnight now, he could tell, by the moon's position being the center of the sky. It was a full moon tonight, so it was hardly dark. With another sigh, Shin shifted and sat on the boulder next to him. "I wonder why I'm so sad...I expected her to leave anyway. Why would she stay with a human?" he spoke to himself. A sound to his right caused him to jump up and draw his blade quickly. With a deft twist of the wrist he put it to the approacher's throat. His eyes softened suddenly and he let the blade slip from his hands and fall to his side. Shin looked to the terrified eyes of Lina before letting his gaze travel to the small trickle of blood running from the light cut his blade had made on her neck. Her small hand raised to the area, eyes still wide. Shin dropped to his knees quickly, bowing his head. "I'm so sorry! I thought you were someone sneaking up on me! Please forgive me!" he said quickly, the words sounding truly sorry. After a moment, Lina placed a hand on his shoulder. "I-it's ok. It was m-my fault for sneaking up on y-you" she said, voice still somewhat shaky from the shock of having a sword pressed to her neck. Shin slowly met her gaze, his eyes seeming sad for having hurt her. He stood quickly and gave her a soft, quick embrace. "I worried you had left me" he said as he pulled away. She seemed surprised by the sudden hug that he had given her. "Oh...uh...I just went for a walk because I woke up a little while ago and couldn't fall back asleep" she said, the tremble in her voice gone now. She doesn't know why, but his concern for her made her happy. "Oh...ok. Should have told me, I worried for your safety. Especially with you being unable to fly at the moment" he said, frowning a little. The frown vanished soon though and was replaced by a slight smile. "Would you like breakfast?" he asked.

Shin prepared a quick meal, mostly consisting of leftovers from earlier that day. He built the fire a little larger to keep the cave warm. "So, how long will it take for that tear in your wing to heal?" he asked her as they ate. She shrugged, chewing on a piece of food and swallowing before her answer. "I'm not sure...I haven't damaged one that badly before. I would guess at least a month" she said. Shin nodded, smiling slightly. "Well you're more than welcome to stay with me for that time. I'll make sure nothing happens to you" he told her. She smiled back sweetly. "I know that, and thank you" she answered. She was still unsure about him. Something about the way he was so jumpy and quick to draw his blade frightened her. But at the same time, it made her curious about his past and made her feel like he needn't fear anything. They sat for a moment in silence, the crackling fire being the only sound. Both stared into the orange flames that licked at the air for a long time, seeming lost in thought. She about him and he about her. Shin removed his gaze from the flames to find Lina looking over at him timidly. "Um...S-Shin? Why do you fight? And..w-why are you always so cautious or jumpy?" she asked him suddenly. Shin's expression took a turn towards puzzlement as to how to answer such a question. "I uh...hmm. It's sortof a long story. Well for the caution that's simple. It's the way of a warrior, especially a travelling warrior. It's saved my life many times. As for why I fight...that's a different story entirely" he answered quietly, his eyes falling back to the flames as he remembered his past. Lina leaned forward, loving a good story and she could tell this was going to be interesting. Shin took a deep breath, his eyes full of a mixture of excitement, fear, sorrow and many other emotions. A slow sigh escaped his lips and he glanced up to Lina, a smile playing on the corners of his mouth.

"Well, my story started when I was a young boy. My family was killed by a group of bandits. I was injured badly and left for dead. A traveler happened upon me after I had drug myself to the roads from my home, trying to find help somewhere. The man stopped and took care of me. He bandaged my wounds, cleaned me up...saved my life. Then he helped me go back and bury my family. I soon found myself following this man everywhere, and learned he was a wandering swordsman. I begged him to teach me. I was awed by his strength. He accepted me as his student and taught me the ways of the blade. He then released me as his student when he taught me all I needed to know. I was told to follow my own path. At first...I was like a child with a new toy. I wanted to show everyone what I had. I picked fights, though usually with some thugs anyway. Soon I began to be called a thug myself. That bothered me alot, I found," he paused for a long moment. Taking a deep breath he continued, "One day...while I was walking through a village...a small group of people confronted me, saying they didn't want me in their town. When I refused to leave, they attacked me. Most of them had never wielded a weapon before and I knew that. As one of them came at me from behind, I reacted instinctively and I killed him. He was younger than I was. When a woman ran from a nearby buildling and began crying for whom I could only assume was her dead son, I dropped my blade and ran. That was the first time I had taken a life, and it wasn't even a true enemy of mine or anyone's. For a long while, I contemplated my actions in the past months. Eventually, I decided that I would forever use my blade only to protect those that need it, and that which is precious in life. That is the reason I fight. I stand against foul beings who would hurt others just because they can. And this reason has filled me with hope of redemption from my former self" he stopped speaking finally, a weak smile forming.

Lina watched him for a long while, unsure what to think or say. She could see the pain in his eyes still from the death of that boy that he caused. "It's been four years already, and I still can't forget his face....no...more like I won't. I won't let myself forget what it is I used to be, but will never be again. There's much more to the story, of course, but that is more an answer to your specific question" he said suddenly. Lina gave a half smile of her own as she moved towards Shin slowly. His gaze never left the flames as her small arms draped over his shoulders and her cheek rested against his, her hugging him from behind. "I'm sure he forgives you...it was a mistake. You're not that person anymore" her small voice whispered into his ear as though she might shatter the silence literally if she spoke too loudly. Shin's back heaved slightly as he took another deep breath, followed by a long sigh. "Maybe you're right...but I'll continue to use my sword only to help others, it's the only way I feel like I'm any worth to this world" he told her, as well as himself. The two stayed in that position for a long while, neither wanting to move away from the other. Shin felt himself comforted by another person for the first time since he last saw his mentor. Lina slowly moved away from behind him to sit by his side, leaning her head against his shoulder. Shin looked down at the small girl and smiled slightly. "You perplex me so" he said simply. She looked up, her big eyes full of curiosity at this statement. "What? How so?" she asked in return. He laughed a little and shook his head. "For some reason, even though I've known you for little time...you are the first person i've felt completely comfortable around for many years" he answered simply. Lina sat up a little more to peer into his eyes. His eyes held proof that he meant his words. She smiled softly. "Aww, well I trust you Shin. You wouldn't....or couldn't hurt me" she said, throwing her arms around him once more. He placed a hand lightly on her shoulder and she didn't flinch in the slightest. "I would never forgive myself if I hurt a beautiful creature such as you" he agreed.

Lina blushed profusely, and Shin nearly thought she'd pass out from the sudden rush of blood. "You keep calling me that...why?" she asked, clearly not used to recieving compliments. Shin looked at her for a moment, his eyes smiling more than his lips. "Simply because from the moment I saw you I found you to be the most beautiful thing I've laid eyes upon" he answered. The girl started blushing even further, and this time truly did lose conciousness. Shin shook her lightly. "Lina? Lina wake up!" he said, trying to will her back to conciousness. Her eyes fluttered open like the wings of a butterfly. "W-what happened?" she asked, her small face wound up in confusion. Shin chuckled as he helped her sit back up. "You blushed so hard you fainted" he answered matter-of-factly. Hearing this caused a slight blush again and she swooned. Shin caught her gently. "Ok, maybe I should stop talking of such things for now. I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself" he said with another small laugh. She gave a small laugh of her own. "Always thinking of others aren't you?" she asked him. He shrugged and nodded. "We should go for a walk when you're feeling a little better." he told her. She nodded and smiled. "I'm feeling better already" she answered. She stood slowly and Shin followed, hand behind her back should she fall again. She seemed mostly steady however and so they both headed for the entrace of the cave. "Where are we going?" she asked. "It's a surprise" he answered simply. She giggled and he led her off into the darkness.

To be continued...



[Kindof a short chapter, I know. Some of you are probably thinking "Give us violence again!" or something. No worries my good readers!! It's coming soon, very soon. Next chapter in fact. Hehe, okies, hope you're enjoying!! R/R PLEASE!]
Sign up to rate and review this story