Categories > Original > Romance > Silence

Move.

by Ashley_Renee 1 review

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy,Romance,Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-07-30 - Updated: 2008-07-31 - 1205 words

0Unrated
As I grew out of childhood and began launching myself into the depths of endless resposibilities that were soon to come, I began to feel the need of change. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy my present living situation, nor was I unhappy with the life I had since known. My heart longed for adventure. For a new begining in a new world.

That is how I found myself in the driver's seat of my maroon, 2007 Ford Focus, driving down the long california coastline. My mother lived in the small town of Big Sur, only a few miles from the town of Carmel, and the beautiful Pebble Beach. I had always lived with my father, after the divorce. He lived in Salem, Oregon, which was a few hundred miles away from the scenic, oceanside home of my mother, Diana. It was a relief to get away from the big city life. I wanted peace and quiet. And California was a way to get it.

I pulled up my mother's driveway, gazing in awe at her pleasent beach home. It was perfect, in my eyes. The gardens alone made people take a second glance. Not to mention was it was made in the victorian fashion. It reminded me of the pictures of the country side manors in France, only on a smaller scale. My mother was even a greater addition to the beauty of the home. For 41, she looked rather young. She had a thin shape, unlike my hourglass build. Her long, brunette hair swayed around her face like fire dancing in the wind. Her eyes shone at me like emeralds, as I turned off the ignition.

"Oh, Annastashia, I'm so glad you are finally here!" she said, beconing me to come towards her. She wrapped me up in a bear hug, tight enough to were I couldn't breath.
"Can't..breath...mom." I gasped for air as she lossened her hold on me.
"I'm sorry, Anna." My real name was Annastashia Harper Green. But I perfered to be called Anna, for it was short and easy to remember. My parents named me after my grandmother, who died previously from cancer. I had a very unique love for my grandmother. There was something there, like a complex bond, that made us so close. Like we had something in common that no one else knew about.

I opened the trunk, sighing as I heaved the heavy bags up the porch steps into the cool, dimly-lighted house. It was only a two bedroom house, with my bedroom being upstairs, which was fine by me. My mom gracefully slide past me, so she could reach the top stair before me.

"I must say, only you could manage to put all those colors together in one room like that, Anna. If it were anyone else, it would have looked completly ridiculous."
I walked over the threshold, reveiling my room. Laterns hung from the ceiling, providing enough light for me to toss my bags onto my bed, and turn on a lamp. Shades of every color swirled in my eyes. I was never one to pick one single theme. I though it unfair to all the others. I plopped down next to my bags, glad to finally be able to relax after the long drive.

"Seems like you could use some rest. I wish you would've just flown here. There was no reason to drive all that way from Salem. Then you wouldn't be so worn out on your first day." Diana pushed at me.

"Ugh. Mom, I've already told you, I don't do planes. Besides, it was too expensive for me. I'm not a millionaire, you know!" I replied.

"You know me or your father could've paid for the ticket. And by how you look, millonaire is quite out've the question. Get unpacked, and hop into the shower. I'm taking you to see Sam today. I promised him that you would meet Jacob. I think it would be great if you two could become friends. Heaven forbid, your gonna need some." my mother informed me. Sam was her best friend. He had lost his wife in a car accident a few years earlier. Jacob was his only son, who meant the world to him. I only met Sam once, a few summers ago, when he dropped by to talk to my mother. I had just previously gotten out've the shower, and walked downstairs in nothing but a towel wrapped around my torso. The moment I hit the last step, he walked out into the living room. I could feel the blood rush to my cheeks, exposing how embarrised I was. Clearly, he was not expecting me to be there, for he also began blushing. I could hear laughter behind him as my mother walked it, having stumbled upon such a rare expierience.

"Looks like you've met my daughter, Annastashia, Sam. Isn't she a beauty? I always told you she was." she explained to Sam, who now relaxed his face, showing his rather pleasent smile.

"Well, nice to meet you, Annastashia. I'm Sam Philips. But you already know that, huh?" he said, chuckling.
"Its good to meet you, too. But you can just call me Anna for short."
"Ok, then. Hello, Anna. Are you having a good stay here in Big Sur?" he asked, trying to make conversation. But, unfortuanly, I was just not in the mood to talk. I had basically ruined my first impression for Sam. Here I stood in nothing but a towel, with two adults staring at me. It was just too akward.

"Yes I am. I hate to make this meeting short, but do you mind if I got get dressed? Then I will be happy to talk to you both." I pleaded. In my mind, it was like I was begging for food. The thought disqusted me, for it had no relation to the current situation.

"Oh, no. We don't mind do we, Sam? You guys can chat over dinner, if you will stay long enough for me to finish." She glanced up at Sam, with the intention to keep him here for awhile longer.

"Um, Sure. I'll like to stay and learn more of the admirable Ms. Anna." he replied, glancing in my direction. I smiled, then rushed upstairs, hoping my towel didn't fall off too. I hurridly got dressed, and headed downstairs, once again, but this time fully dressed. We sat around the dinning table, talking about the town and the countryside around it. I learned more about Sam, and he me. Before he left, he kissed us both on the cheek, and said how good it was to finally meet me. He said he would love to see us again, and that maybe I would enjoy meeting his son, Jacob. I agreed, trying to imagine this charming man actually having a son my age. I helped with the dishes, and went upstairs to my room.

As I laid on my bed, I could hear the silent wispering of the wind at my window. It was like it was trying to say something. I fell alseep, sliding into a world of peacefulness, leaving my troubles behind me. And not once did I look back.
Sign up to rate and review this story