Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Boy, The Man, The Beast

A Mater of Routine

by Moonshyne 0 reviews

Remus gets use to his routine at Hogwarts, while the boys get suspicious.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Sirius - Published: 2008-07-31 - Updated: 2008-07-31 - 2900 words

1Original
As promised Remus went back to the dormitory the next day, when the boys completed classes they found him fast asleep on his bed. They tried not to wake him but Peter dropped his books and there was a loud crash.

“Hi guys.”

“Remus, sorry we woke you.”

“That’s ok. I needed to wake up I have so much homework to catch up on.”

“Well you certainly look at lot better than yesterday,”

“I feel much better, so what did I miss.”

Peter the most organized of the group kept a journal that showed all his assignments. He gave it to Remus so he could copy. Remus completed some of Monday night’s homework. James and Sirius showed him some of the practical spells and charms he missed. He was pretty good at Charms and transfiguration and picked up those spells pretty quickly not as quickly as James and Sirius, but much better that any other student except for maybe Lily Evans. Poor Peter still hadn’t mastered them. With each new charm or hex James and Sirius learned it was more in their arsenal for great pranks. After dinner in the Great Hall it was back to the books for Remus and Peter. James and Sirius had completed all their homework earlier. Peter finally finished at nine o’clock that night even with James and Sirius helping him. Remus stayed up until midnight to complete all the assignments he missed.

Remus got back into the swing of things doing very well in his classes well though he still had problems with potions. Not that he was flunking but his grade so far was Acceptable where most of his other classes were Outstanding especially Defense of the Dark Arts. Sirius and James were starting to let him in on their practical jokes however Remus was still unsure about participating in them as he wanted to stay out of trouble.

The month flew quickly, on the morning of the next full moon; Professor McGonagall took Remus to Madame Pomfrey for the potions that will help him get through the day. After having classes Remus went to Madame Pomfrey to get ready for that nights transformation.

Sirius, James and Peter looked all over the place for him. Finally they went to see Madame Pomfrey to see if she saw him, he did after all look sick again. She was getting some food from the kitchen, so she wasn’t around. Little did they know that Remus was in the room in back waiting to eat before his transformation.

They left and found Professor McGonagall.

“Professor, do you know where Remus is?”

“His aunt passed away and he had to go home.”

“Poor Remus,” said Peter.

The transformation wasn’t as bad as it had been the previous month. Not to say he didn’t need mending as he most certainly did. With the potions John had taught her Remus just might escape with minor if any scarring. Remus’ wounds healed quickly but he was still exhausted. The transformations take so much out of him. The next day he was back in his dorm room sleeping when James, Sirius and Peter burst in. James noticed that Remus’ suitcase on the floor.

“Hey Remus you’re back, sorry to hear about your aunt.” Said James

“Hi there,” Remus said very groggily.

“You look worse than you did when you were sick.”

“It was a tough couple of days. I’m just a little tired. Do you have the homework assignments for the past couple of days?”

“Peter has them written down. Pete can Remus use your notes?”

“Sure, here you go Remus.”

“Thanks.”

Remus felt much better the next day when he started attending classes again.

When they entered charms, he did not sit with James, Peter and Sirius. They were being taught the levitation charm. “Wingardium Leviosa.”

Remus, James and Sirius got their feathers to levitate right away. Peter however didn’t. When Flitwick was on the other side of the room trying to help Peter, the room suddenly filled with several dozen butterflies. Remus looked over at James and Sirius and winked. Flitwick never figured out who disrupted his class, because the ones who would have suspected were sitting right in front of him levitating their feathers.

“How did you do that? It was brilliant.”

“Is that why you didn’t sit with us?”

“Yeah I didn’t want you guys to get blamed.”

“Did it feel good?”

“Yeah and the best part Flitwick is probably still trying to figure out who did it.”

“Again how did you do it your feather was levitating just like ours at the same time?”

“My secret.”

“James I believe we created a monster.”

Remus thought to himself ‘If they only knew’.

On Halloween third years and above were allowed the privilege to go on a trip to Hogsmeade, the only wizarding village in Britain. There were the best stores there. Honeydukes with it’s never ending supply of the coolest candy, a stationary shop, robe shop, Three Broomsticks where students can get butterbeer, and the darker Hogshead Tavern, but by far the best place to visit was Zonko’s Joke Shop. James and Sirius gave Frank Longbottom, a third year student, ten galleons each to get the best that Zonko’s had to offer.

When the students came back they were all talking excitedly about the shack that Headmaster Dumbledore warned them to stay away from. It seems that it’s haunted and it could possibly be the most haunted house in Britain. Remus started shaking. Some students wanted to know what was in the shack and were talking about breaking in. Remus needed to see Dumbledore now. Where were the silencing charms so no one could hear him? He was furious and the fact that there was a full moon in two days wasn’t helping matters either. Remus just bolted as the stories continued of the shack and the loud screaming and moaning came from the scary looking structure. Sirius looked at James.

“Where did Remus go?”

“I don’t know but he looked really upset and mad.”

“Let’s make sure he’s alright.”

Remus remembered how to get to Dumbledore’s office from his first night of school. He shouted “chocolate frogs” at the statue of the eagle.

Albus was petting Fawkes when Remus burst in. “Students usually have appointments with me.”

Remus didn’t care about protocol.

Having followed Remus and heard the password to the secret passage, James and Sirius snuck up the stairs but stopped at the door of Dumbledore’s office.

“You made me promise not to tell anyone about my problem, and here you’re letting the whole village of Hogsmeade know. For six years I’ve done well to keep this a secret. How long do you think they’ll figure out that the screams only happen on the full moon? That there aren’t any ghosts but the local resident werewolf. How long before they figure out that it’s a student from Hogwart’s, and how long before you have to throw me out? I have friends here not a lot but I never had friends before. How long after they find out will they abandon me?” Remus tried to fight the tears as his eyes welled up.

Albus put his arm around the boy and for the first time realized what a pull the waxing moon had on him. He was an emotional mess caught between anger and anguish.

“Remus, do you think I would go through all this trouble and three years of planning so I could expel you in your first term? I want you here for all seven years, at least that’s the plan. Yes the shrieks and moans are loudest for your transformations however, the shack is designed to ‘shriek’ when the wind blows through it. With this being Scotland well you can imagine. I informed the villagers that a band of rogue ghosts inhabit the building, and I daresay that the Hogwart’s ghosts are even afraid of what is in the shack. There is no way for the residents of Hogsmeade or anywhere else to break in or even see what is in the shack. The only entrance is the one you use. The only people who know how it works are Madam Pomfrey, your parents, yourself and myself. As you can see your secret is safe. And if your friends ever find out don’t sell them short, they might surprise you.”

James and Sirius couldn’t hear the conversation all they could hear was mumbling they just knew that Remus was mad. They hadn’t seen him this mad since the beginning of the school year. What could make him so mad and what did the shack have to do with it? November rolled around and Remus got a note saying his mother was very sick and he needed to go home. Of course he knew what it meant and his mother probably was fine but he needed an excuse to get out of classes. The full moon came and went and his cuts and bruises were slightly less then the previous month’s injuries. He was back in the dorms two days after the full moon as usual. When the other boys walked into the dorm they noticed Remus’ suitcase, checked his bed saw that he was sleeping and quietly went back to the common room.

“Poor Remus he’s not having a great year is he?” Observed Sirius. “Only a month until the new year, maybe it will be better for him.”

At this, Remus came down, “Hey guys.”

“How’s your mum doing?”

“She’s doing better, thanks. We were up all night with her so I’m exhausted. Peter do you think I can borrow your lesson book, again?”

“Sure go ahead you know where it is.”

Remus was not looking forward at all to December he had two transformations to deal with.

The morning of the full moon Remus woke up late, he was trying to get all his assignments done, and in a very foul mood. He had double potions first thng if he eanted to get hi potions in he would have to skip breakfast. Not a good thing on the morning of the full moon. He quickly made a stop to the hospital wing and downed two potions first to calm him down, second was a healing potion so he wouldn’t get sick. The calming potion would take about forty five minutes to work. He got to the dungeons just as students were filing in.

“Well, well if it isn’t the potion master Mr. Lupin.” Sneered Severus Snape. “Must be your father’s biggest disappointment.”

That was it. Remus had enough and punched Snape square in the nose, he didn’t just break it he shattered it. The class stood in shock. This wasn’t the usually mild mannered Remus Lupin, this was someone different.

“Gordon take Severus to the hospital wing. As for you Mr. Lupin detention tonight, tomorrow night and for four hours each on Saturday and Sunday. You will never pull that stunt in my class again.”

Well this helped his mood even more. He got his stuff and walked straight out of class. He went to the dorm, he was pacing like a wild animal he couldn’t believe he just did that. The calming potion was starting to take affect and Remus realized what he had done. Remus grabbed his things and went straight back to potions class. He had to face the consequences of his actions.

The door opened and to everyone’s amazement Remus Lupin walked in.

“Professor Slughorn I want to apologize for my actions today. I should never let Severus’ comments get to me.” Remus turned to the class “Please accept my apologies for interrupting this class three times today.”

Slughorn had no idea what to say or do. He never had a student walk out of class before, but then to walk back in and apologize? He had to talk to Albus about this.

Horace had free time after before the lunch break and went up to visit Albus. As he walked in the headmaster was finishing up with professor McGonagall. “Come in Horace. Minerva we’ll talk later about this matter. ”

“Albus, we must talk about a certain student. Mr. Remus Lupin.”

“Yes I am fully aware of what he did in your class today.”

“So what are we going to do?”

“He’ll serve out his detention and I’ll talk to him. However his detention will not start until Monday.”

“What, that’s not fair, why the special treatment?”

“Horace we’ve been friends for a long time. What I’m about to tell you is the utmost secretive. I must have your word as a professor of Hogwarts and as my friend you will not tell a soul.”

Horace rolled his eyes, what could be so important about an eleven year old boy. “Fine, Albus.”

“Remus Lupin is not like any other first year student in this school, or any year student in the history of this school.” Albus took a deep breath. “Remus Lupin is a werewolf.”

“A what?”

“You heard me.”

“Yes, I just can’t believe what I’m hearing. Isn’t that dangerous?”

“I’ve taken precautions. He’s more harm to himself than others.”

“Where does he transform?”

“The shack in Hogsmeade. There is a tunnel that leads there protected by the Whomping Willow.”

“I wonder why such a nefarious tree was placed on the grounds. I thought you had gone mad. Now I know you have. Why should he wait until Monday to start his detention?”

‘The process is exhausting, he’ll be able to serve a detention properly by then.”

“Why?”

“He has the potential of being a powerful wizard someday. I’d rather have him on my side. Besides it’s time we showed that all werewolves aren’t evil dark creatures.”

“I don’t know Albus.”

“I do. Mr. Lupin has an appointment with me regarding his detentions, shall I tell him Monday through Friday three hours each day?”

Horace rubbed his forehead, “Fine, but if anything happens.”

“I’m completely aware of the consequences.”

Just then there was a slight knock on the door.

“There’s Mr. Lupin now.”

Horace got up and as he passed Remus, he leered at him and then left.

“Remus what happened today?”

“I was up late last night getting my lessons in order for tonight. Because of this I woke up late. I didn’t even have time for breakfast. I usually make sure I have my potions an hour before class, I didn’t this time.”

“I want you to apologize to Mr. Snape, then you will serve your detentions with Professor Slughorn starting Monday through Friday, three hours each night. Please try to make sure you take your potions at a reasonable amount of time before class. If you ever find yourself missing a meal again especially this time of the month. Go to the stairwell opposite where you for potions and find the painting of the fruit, tickle the pear and entrance of the kitchens shall appear. The house elves are eager to serve. This is not and excuse not to eat in the Great Hall however if you find that you need an extra snack or miss a meal it’s available.”

“Thank you sir.”

“Go now or else you’ll need what I just told you sooner than expected.”

Remus made his way to the Great Hall and sat next to Peter across from James and Sirius.

“So what happened?” asked Peter.

“Dumbledore changed my detention days.”

“Can he overrule a teacher like that?”

“He’s the headmaster.”

“Did he say, why?”

“No. Enough twenty questions. I’m outta here.”

“What’s up with him today?”

“First Snape, then that whole drama scene with Slughorn, having to leave Charms early and now this?" questioned James.

“There’s something definitely going on,” Sirius said.

“Let’s talk to him after dinner tonight.”

Transfiguration was the final class of the day, Remus wanted to get through it.

“Remus, you don’t look so good. Just skip this class.”

“I’ll just put spray some water on my face and be right in.”

Remus came into the class a few minutes later. Looking paler then ever. MacGonagall walked up to him whispered something in his ear and Remus grabbed his things and left.

After class was over the remaining three went up to the dorms to get some homework in before supper. When they got up there they hoped that Remus was feeling better but he wasn’t there.

“Hospital wing?” asked James.

“Hospital wing,” said Sirius

“Do you think that maybe his family is cursed?” asked Peter.

“Let’s see he himself has been sick twice, an aunt has died and his mother has been sick,” James said thoughtfully.

“I’ve never seen anything like it he seems to be out every few weeks for two or three days. Different reasons but still out. You'll see it will happen again,” Sirius shook his head. “It’s just like anything else at school it’s all a matter of routine.”
Sign up to rate and review this story