Categories > Anime/Manga > Gundam Wing > Sweet Lullaby

One Laugh

by MeliJNightly 0 reviews

Is Heero finally warming up?

Category: Gundam Wing - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Heero - Published: 2008-08-17 - Updated: 2008-08-18 - 6701 words

0Unrated


Disclaimer: Again I do not own Gundam Wing or it's characters but thank you so much for those who created such a great show especially Heero .

Note: From here on I have to say that Heero will be a bit OOC and as the ficprogresses he will be even more OOC so if you're not fond of these kinds of fics I apologize but due to the point of the fic he will have to act like so...

Extra note:

Another thing, Satta Kurosama bought to my attention something about the age, so here's the thing: I mentioned that Heero had been missing for 7 years, that's all I said, so I imagined while writing the fic that Duo's wedding happened a two years after the endless waltz making the pilots 18 years old, Trowa 19. Maisha was born a year later making Duo a father at the age of 19, if I'm mistaken please correct me, same with Heero and the rest except Trowa who would have been 20. Now Heero left the same year of the wedding, adding the seven years he would now be 24 years old. I'm sorry if it's confusing but Sattamakes a good point... thanks Satta!!

SWEET LULLABY

Chapter 3: One laugh

O.x.O.x.O.x.O.x.O.x.O.x.O.x.O

Heero looked down at the hungry little guest standing in front of him; she made him puppy eyes that seemed to entertain him. With asigh he put the letter on the small night table next to the bed that Duo supposed to have occupied but hadn't. After he had done so he gave a last glance at the letter and the bed, made a mental note to remember to come back and read it, after he had computerized his brain to do that, he headed to the kitchen with a bouncing-skipping Maisha behind him. He opened the refrigerator door and let out a deep groan while gripping angrily at the refrigerator door, he then remembered that he didn't do shopping very well, the only visible things in the fridge were a couple cans of soda and a mouldyold cheese. His stomach soon reminded him that he hadn't eaten anything the last day and now was claiming to be fed.

:Heero: How could I have forgotten to eat? ...and there's nothing in the fridge:

He searched every cabinet for any edible objects, whether it was any rice goods, can goods or cereal that would do. But nothing whatsoever, when did he get so lazy that he had nothing to eat in the house? He suddenly heard a small grumbling sound, he touched his stomach but noticed it wasn't his at all but instead it was of his hungry guest. He arched an eyebrow and Maisha's face turned crimson red from embarrassment.

Finally after going through the whole kitchen he decided to do something else.

"What day is today?" He said to no one in particular and searched for anything that would inform him of the day he was in, but he received an answer either way.

"It's Sunday!"

"Oh... well since it's Sunday Ialways go out to eat breakfast," he said nonchalantly. It was a lie, because he usually didn't have food and had to eat out most of the time.

"Really?!" She asked excited, she was getting sad when she saw that Heero couldn't find anything to eat, she thought she was going to starve.

"Aha. So why don't you go change and we can go eat to a diner that's nearby."

"YAY!! I'll only take 5 minutes...I promise!"

But 5 minutes turned to 10 minutes and then 15. Heero was getting restless and started wondering what had happened to the young replica of Duo. So he decided to go check on her, he knocked lightly on the door even though it was halfway open, he didn't want to startle the little girl. A quiet, depressed voice came out of the room.

"Come in.../-sigh-/" He went inside and saw her sitting there her sad gaze was directed to her feet.

"What's wrong?"

"Umm...nothing... is just that..." She hesitated, and her cheeks turned rosy again.

Heero frowned /:/ oh no is she sick? Is she sad? What if it's both?!: He dealt with war, he dealt with life risking situations but he had never dealt with a sad or sick child. This wasn't supposed to happen, Duo didn't even give him any directions, he never trained for this /:can/you even train for this?:.

"Are you feeling sick? Is something bothering you? Do you rather stay?" he asked all at once.

"No...it's not that... it's just..." she kept on staring at her feet, Heero felt slightly alarmed, she wasn't saying much so he really didn't know what to do. What did Duo do in situations like these?

Just to make sure he put his hand on her forehead as to check her temperature, Maisha giggled at the sight of his worried look, Heero looked at her dumbfounded and actually felt hurt at her reaction.

"I'm not sick uncle Heero... it's just that... I can't tie my shoelaces... my daddy does it for me." She said embarrassed, Heero blinked afew times and took a deep breath. He grabbed one of Mai's feet gently and started lacing her shoe, after finishing with the first he grabbed the second one, he laced both of her shoes in a tidy and perfect manner, Maisha gawked happily at her now tied shoes. Her white tennis like shoes went with her jean skirt and white flower blouse. She had done her hair in pigtails although not perfectly done since Duo also did that for her and before Duo her mother. But she was glad now that he had Heero to at least lace her shoes.

"Thank you, uncle Heero Yuy...sir." He couldn't help but shake his head in amusement when she used sir at the end of his name.

"Come on, we're already late, I think we're going to have to actually eat lunch." He said sarcastically but Maisha didn't take it that way, since Heero's cold attitude made it hard to actually guess when he was being sarcastic or making a joke. Not that he ever made any kind of joke. Mai felt guilty and thought that he was mad, so she stopped abruptly and looked at the floor in shame with tears starting to fill up in her beautiful violet eyes. Heero heard a slight whimper and looked back at where Maisha was standing.

He knelt down by her and looked at her intensely trying to find the cause of this certain reaction. Her small mouth was cover by a frown and her eyes wrinkled in sorrowful blame.

"It's my fault isn't it..." she sobbed.

"What?"

"It's my fault we're not going to be in time to eat breakfast... and you need to get your breakfast because my daddy.../- whimpering-/...always says that breakfast is the most important meal of the day." She blurted out with her hands in her eyes rubbing them so she could stop crying.

:Heero: Now I know why I should keep my mouth shut:

"I didn't mean it that way, it was just a sarcastic comment... we'll still make it," Heero reassured her while gently wiping away some of her tears with his hand, she felt better now that he said it wasn't her fault. He looked at her glossy eyes and noticed how they looked exactly like Duo's, her face features were like him too. His imagination played Duo on his mind making him wonder if probably the braided bakalooked like her when he was little. Duo was often mistaken for a girl, so it wouldn't be strange if he would've looked like his daughter when younger.

"So you were just being sarcatastic...what is sarcatastic?" He felt a small laugh wanting to come out but held it back. He hadn't felt amused in a long time not even the need to laugh. This was a going to be a long day.

X.o.X.o.X.o.X.o.X.o.X

Later that day, after they got breakfast, Heero and Maisha went to the grocery store and bought some instant meals just for the day.

They walked to the 10 story building that was a few blocks away from the grocery store and Maisha greeted cheerfully to the chubby doorman that opened the glass door, "Hi Mr. Harry!" , Harry looked at her with a beaming smile and waving one of his chubby hands, "Miss Maisha welcome back!Mr. Yuy..." Heero nodded and entered the building with Mai.

:Heero: Hn. So that's how they got in so easily:

They grabbed the elevator and waited for it to get them to their destination with Mai humming all the way to the apartment. Mai liked the apartment, she had never been in one so big. It was a studio apartment, it had the first floor and thanhad stairs to go up to a half a floor where the rooms were located. The stairs were a transparent glass like material. Mai wondered if all the apartments in the building were like her uncle's.

:Maisha: I'm going to ask daddy if we can move here:

Mai stopped humming when they entered the apartment she looked up questioningly at her uncle, "Can I watch T.V?"

He headed for the kitchen and responded her question while he was heading there, "Go ahead." The little girl grabbed his arm softly, that made him stop dead on his track he had no idea he had been followed. He thought she was still by the door. Cobalt blue eyes stared at her questioningly, he felt that her grip wasn't letting go until she finally spoke,"Will you go watch with me?"

"Hn. I can't I have to finish work." He said coldly.

Her head dropped down in defeat and sadness. She pouted as she headed to living room and plopped herself on the couch while grabbing the remote. Heero watched her every move and let out a sigh of also defeat, he headed to Mai's direction and startle the little girl. He sat down next to her without saying a word. Mai's pouting turned into a big smile and she gave him a huge hug, Heero was startle to this spontaneous move, he didn't do anything just sat there with his arms to his side and somewhat blushing. The hug was soon finished and Heero was left still blushing and Mai turned to the t.v once more. With her right hand fingers she pushed the upper changing channel button and flipped through the channels until she saw ashow that she really enjoyed.

He looked attentive at the images in the box, he rarely watched television and when he did it was always in the same channel and at the same time when the news came on. He never really cared to look beyond that channel, he had no need. Now he was actually curious as to what exactly the images represented, it was like nothing he had ever seen.

"What are they?" He asked still looking at the show.

"They're turtles," Mai said all knowingly.

"If they're turtles, how can they talk? And how is it that they know karate so well?" He questioned in a matter of fact tone.

Mai giggled at Heero'ssudden interest and what seemed funny questions to her, "it's a cartoon uncle Heero."

"Cartoon..." He said trying to figure out what that was.

Mai noticed this and looked at her uncle in wonder, she had to ask, "You've never watched a cartoon before?!" Heero motioned his head into a 'no'.

"How could you go on all these years without cartoons?!" she shrieked. Heero shrugged as a response to her question. He thought about it for a while, when he was a boy he didn't have television, and even though Dr. J had one he never let him watch it, Dr. J barely did himself. All he knew as a boy was training and to this day he never had an interest to indulge himself on normal activities thus including watching television. All he did now was work, non-stop just to make him forget his past.

Mai looked at him and broke his trance, she started explaining the whole plot of the show, how the turtles got the way they were, who they could trust and not to trust, who the bad guys were. Heero was paying exclusive attention to her every word. He seemed very interested and was actually enjoying the fictitious plot.

"That's why they're called Ninja Turtles!" She giggled when she finished her explanation.

"But how is it that a simple mutation can turn them into human like forms?"

Mai arched her eyebrows and tried to understand what he had just said, but all she could come up with was a simple yet helpful answer, "Well... I don't know... they're just cartoons uncle Heero, they're not real."

"Oh." He said, understanding the not so complex situation.

They watched some more cartoons and Mai explained each one to him. He watched the cartoon and paid attention to Mai when he had to. He decided the cartoons were actually funny even if he didn't really laugh at them. After one of the shows ended he looked at the watch, they had been watching cartoons for 5 hours, it was almost dinner time and they had skipped lunch.

"I'm going to make something for dinner," Heero said while getting up from the couch, he had never watched so much television in his life that he didn't even notice the time.

Mai turned off the t.v and followed him to the kitchen, she saw all the instant meals they had bought at the grocery store, there were a few can soups and instant mashed potatoes in abox. Mai picked up something she had picked while they were there, a box of her favorite Mc and Cheese. Heero looked at her as she stared at the box thoughtfully. He took the blue box from her hands and started reading the instructions. They seemed simple enough so he began boiling the water, Mai sat down in a breakfast stool. She watched as her uncle prepared the rest of the meal.

She felt and awkward silence, she hated when things were quiet, so she decided to start a conversation.

"How come you're not married?"

Heero chocked at the question, he thought about it while adding the dust of the cheese to the macaronis. : Married? I never thought about getting married to anyone. It's something only normal people can have. I never even had a normal relationship. Not even with Relena... was it even a relationship?:

Maisha waited for the answer, Heero looked back at the curious little guest.

"I don't know," he finally said.

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

A girlfriend, he never really had a girlfriend, he saw women once in a while but he just slept with them, he never really had the curiosity to get to know them. Some of them tried to get to know him, but every time they did he closed up and told them he didn't want to see them anymore.

Woman found him very attractive, he wasn't as skinny as he used to be when he was 15 and you could say he was now almost as tall as Trowa. He had built up into a very handsome man, his hair was still a mess even if he tried to fix it, when he did it only got worse so he learn to live with it and even his hair gave him a hint of mystery making him more desirable. His eyes were still cold maybe even more than what they used to be, but still the color was beautiful, the cobalt blue eyes took breaths away from any women that had a small chance to even glance at them.

He thought about Relena, but they never saw each other, when he was called up by the Preventers to secure her safety in big events it was he who saw her, he could feel sometimes that she knew he was there. But nothing else, he never really thought of her as someone who he could have a relationship with, she was his past, a past he didn't want to go back to.

"Well...." Mai said still waiting for his response.

"Hn." Was all Heero said and turned back to the dinner he was preparing. Mai being like every other curious child that's not easily satisfied with grunts as answers decided to push a little bit further, "Weeelll..."

"You shouldn't need to know these things," he couldn't believe he was actually explaining himself to a kid.

"My daddy said that you're grumpy because you don't have girlfriend..."

Heero was getting irritated,he served a plate of macaroni and cheese and placed it forcefully on the breakfast table in front of the girl.

"You're daddy is-" He stopped himself and glanced at her, he slowly turned back to serving his own plate.

Mai felt bad when she saw Heero turn around and angrily shoved the macaroni's into his plate like he wanted to murder them, "Gomen nasai,"she said softly. She had heard him speak Japanese in the diner on his cell phone, but didn't really understand the whole conversation.

"You can speak Japanese?" Heero asked still with his back turned away from her.

"Not really, just a few words, my auntie Evie taught me a little bit when she came over to visit us."

"Evie?" He thought out loud.

"Do you know her?"

"No," he replied, retracting himself from what he had thought out loud. He remembered Evie, witty and annoying brat who thought she knew everything, he didn't like her very much. It had been a few years since he had seen her.

"Oh. Well you should meet her, she's a very nice person...and fun too..." She said while grabbing a spoon full of her macaroni and cheese.

X.o.X.o.X.o.X.o.X.o.X

They finished eating dinner. Maisha played with her dolls for a while and Heero started working on a presentation he had to show at work the next day. It was a lot of work, he hadn't done anything for the whole week, he just wasn't up to it. Now there he was stuck reading from ten thick software books and typing furiously whatever new information he thought was necessary.

After two hours of researching and planning, he only had the beginning of the presentation done. He ran his right hand through his hair, and tilted his head back with exasperation. After stretching a bit he looked at his watch. It was getting late, he heard Mai giggle softly and she still seemed to be playing.

"Little girl!" he called out so the girl could hear. Maisha ran happily to his room and poked her head by the door.

"Yes uncle Heero?" She said while glancing at all the books Heero had on his office like table. His room was big, maybe because he didn't have much, it was just a bed, a closet and the office desk. It was still messy with different books and papers on the floor.

"You should go to sleep." He said plainly. Then it hit him, he had to go to work the next day, :shit//:

"Okay." She was about to skip to her room but stopped and entered Heero's room. Heero arched an eyebrow in question, he had no chance to ask or say anything when he was already being embraced by the little girl, she stood tip toed and reached Heero'scheek and pecked it lightly.

"Oyasumi nasai." She said while skipping out of his room. (1)

"Oyasumi."

Heero puffed as he lowered his eyebrow and returned to his work.

X.o.X.o.X.o.X.o.X.o.X

"Hey kid, wake up."

He softly nudged her until finally Mai's eyelids fluttered and opened sleepily. She rubber her eyes and motioned herself up on the bed.

"G'mornin uncle Heero!" She said excitedly.

"Morning. I'm going to have to take you to work with me, because I don't have anyone to leave you with," he informed her.

"Really?!" She asked wide-eyed. Mai was glad that she was going to accompany him to work; Heero on the other hand wasn't sharing the same feeling.

Maisha ran to the bathroom, she took a shower and then she headed to the bedroom and took out a cute sunflower dress from her small pink case. She got dressed and asked Heero to lace her white tennis shoes again. She grabbed her trusty old pink bunny with her just in case she might need support.

Mai looked at Heero, he was dressed differently, not like when she met him the first time. This time he was dressed with black suit pants, black shiny shoes, a black blazer and a white shirt with two undone buttons without a tie. He looked very formal, it suited him well, even though his hair was still messy he looked very handsome.

They went to the buildings parking lot, Mai followed Heero wondering what kind of car he had and since they walked to the diner she didn't even think he owned a car. Suddenly they came to a halt; Mai looked at their means of transportation that was in front of her.

:Maisha: this is definitely not a car:. She stared at it in awe, it was a silver ninja motorcycle and Mai had never ridden in one. Her mom would have never allowed it, she smiled when she remembered when her dad wanted to get one and her mom wouldn't let him, but her thoughts were soon interrupted when she felt a pair of hands picking her up.

She bit her lip and held on tight to 'honey' her bunny until she was at last seated in the soft motorcycle seat, it was a very beautiful bike, she thought, but she was now officially scared. Heero placed the extra helmet on her head, but it was too big for her.

"It'll have to do, it's the only one I have," he said with his husky voice.

"It's okay."

Heero put on his own helmet; he hopped on the motorcycle and started it. Fifteen minutes is all they took to arrive at the huge building. After parking they headed to the front glass doors, the company seemed very glamorous.

"Am I going to be in your office?" Mai looked at him hopefully.

"No. You'll be staying in the day care that the company has. It's summer vacation so there will be other kids for you to play with." Heero stated.

"A day care?! I thought-"

"There's not going to be a discussion about it," Heero said directly, his face was strict and emotionless. Mai followed him quietly to the elevator, she watched as he pressed the button that had 15 on it. There were 30 buttons plus the emergency and such.

The elevator doors opened once the elevator stopped in the 15th floor and they stepped out of the elevator and into the floor. Mai saw a group of girls and boys her age and a few that were a little bit older than her, it suddenly felt like her first day of school, it wasn't such a good feeling, she didn't fit in quite well she never could figure out why. The truth matter was that most girls in her old school were into things that she thought little girls shouldn't be into at their age, things like fashion, movie stars and make up. Mai was a down to earth ball and doll playing girl and the boys didn't really accept girls in their group so she usually played by herself.

"Do I really have to stay here? Can't I go with you?"She made him puppy eyes while pleading, but this time Heero didn't fall for it or more likely he couldn't.

"Yes you have to; I can't take care of you right now."He said.

"Why hello... who do we have here?" Asked a very tall lady as she approached them, she had glasses and looked like a kindergarten teacher, the only difference being that she was dressed in a woman's business suit. She had dark brown hair made into a bun, long slender legs and was very skinny.

"This is Maisha..." Heero said while pushing her forward softly.

"Hi Maisha, welcome... I bet you're going to have lot's of fun here, while you're father works..." She said in a kiddie voice and then she looked at Heero up and down almost eating him with her gaze, Maisha contemplated on what she had just said and just like her tone of voice, to her it was all fake.

"He's not my daddy," she said bluntly.

The woman chewed a bit on her lip in a flirtatious manner and said, "Oh... really... well than, you just run along and play with the others."

Maisha glanced up at her uncle who just looked very uninterested and hoped that he would take her with him. But all she received was a small glare, she stomped off annoyed while dragging Honey along the floor into the corner of the room where there were small tables with chairs.

"I'll take good care of her Mr..."She waited for his answer.

"Good, if something should happen to her I will hold you fully responsible. And it's Yuy." She shuddered at his cold response.

Heero looked at Maisha for the last time,he didn't like to see her sad, maybe because he thought she had been through enough at her age. He stepped in the elevator once more and gave the lady one last warning glare. She jolted a bit, yet still she found him extremely sexy. She waved a paper like a fan from her sudden rise of temperature.

"So you're the new kid?" A skinny platinum blonde girl said to Maisha, with other two girl's behind her.

"I'm Krystal, but they call me Krissy,"said the red headed girl behind the blonde one. Maisha smiled sweetly at her, while the blonde one gave her a snobby glare along with the black haired girl that was behind her.

"Name's Maisha, you can call Mai." She said in an affirmative tone.

"My name is Brenda Connelly Deverou,"the blonde girl stated proudly, "and she is Jera LingSou," she pointed out to the black haired girl.

"Nice to meet you," Mai said while offering her hand, but neither took it. Krissy felt bad on how mean her'friends' were acting. Mai let her hand down but she didn't feel bad, she was used to snobby girls like her from her old school.

"How old are you?" asked Brenda.

"I'm five and a half," Mai answered assertively.

"That means we're older than you...that'stoo bad you can't be in our club," Jera said in acontemptuous way. Mai didn't care, she didn't want to get a long with anybody anyway, all she wanted to do was go home right now and see her daddy.

"Yes she can!" yelled Krissy,"there's no rule that says that 5 years old can't join, besides she's almost six and I'm six too!"

Mai smiled at her and the others looked at their friend in discontentment.

"Fine," retorted the blonde girl, "you're Yuy's daughter aren't you? It's weird how he never bought you around, what is he ashamed of having you for a daughter?"

Maisha controlled herself and tried to let that question slip by.

"He's not my father, he's my uncle," she answered manifestly.

"Oh. Makes sense my mom said Heero Yuyis weird, so that would be weird if he had a child," Jerasaid.

"Jera that's not nice," Krissy said, she looked over at Mai,she could see that Mai wasn't happy about the comment.

"Well now it makes sense why his niece is so weird. Imean look at her, who in there right minds would wear white tennis shoes with a dress and her ugly bunny is weird too" Brenda teased Mai and laughed, she looked at her up and down.

"Brenda!" Krissy couldn't believe what she was hearing; she knew they were mean but not this extent. She figured they were jealous they always attacked the girls that they thought were a threat, in other words prettier.

"Well it's true, even my mom thinks her uncle is weird and dumb," Brenda made a feisty face.

Mai couldn't control herself anymore, she was holding back, but this was too much.

"My uncle is not weird and he's not dumb either!! He's smarter than both of your stupid mommy's combined!!" She blurted out.

"That's not true! My mommy is president of the company she won you're idiot uncle for the job. She could have him fired if she wanted." Brenda snapped back

"You're dumb mommy probably stole it from him. He's the smartest person I know. He was reading a whole bunch of books yesterday, I bet your mommy can't even read one!" Mai said about to grab the blonde girls hair.

"You're stupid, and you're uncle stupid and I bet you that you're mommy and daddy are stupid too," Brenda said. And that did it, Mai lunged for the blonde girl, even though Brenda was abit taller than her she was clearly winning. She had her on the floor, they rolled, but Mai had all control.

"Ahhh.... Get her off me!!"Brenda screamed desperately, but when she try to squirm off, Mai pushed her back down.

"Ms. Kendra! Ms. Kendra! You have to come..." Krissy pulled the lady that was gawking at Heero before.

"What's going on here?!" she cried out, she pulled Mai away from Brenda. Mai tried lunging at her again and again but Kendra didn't let her.

"Little girl, what is your problem?!" Kendra screamed at Mai.

"Mrs. Kendra, she hit me first, all I was trying to do was make friends with her," lied Brenda, who's dress was all messed up and not to mention her hair that looked like it had been electrified.

"Go to that corner!" Kendra told Mai while pointing to a corner in the room.

"But, I-"

"Just go!"

"It wasn't her fault..." Krissytried to convince Kendra that it was Brenda who started but she didn't listen. Besides, Kendra knew better than to mess with the president's company daughter. Brenda dragged Krissy along with Jera.

Mai picked up her bunny while she walked to the chair on the corner of the room. She fought back her tears, she was angry and wanted to rip the platinum locks out of Brenda's hair, how could she be so mean? How could she say that about her mom? She didn't even know her, but then again she didn't know Brenda's mom either. She began to remember her mother again and this time she couldn't hold them any longer hot tears streamed down her face.

"What's her name?" Mai turned to look at the strangers' voice. It was a boy; he looked about her age, blonde hair and pretty sea blue eyes. She was amazed by the color of his eyes, she had never seen acolor so pretty before.

"What?" Mai said wiping away her tears and sniffling.

"The bunny, it's a herright?" He said pointing at the bunny she held in the most protective manner. Mai nodded.

"Her name is Honey," she whispered.

"It's a pretty name, for a pretty bunny," he said smiling sweetly. This cheered her up, nobody said that to her before especially a boy.

"My mother gave it to me. She died." The boy frowned, when she said those words.

"My daddy died. I never met him."

"Oh... I'm sorry, that must be so sad."

"It's okay. I guess you're lucky, you at least got to know your mommy." Mai nodded but still felt bad for the boy. She had never thought about that way, she was sad that she had lost her mother and felt unhappy, but know that she was thinking about it at least she got to know her and spent time with her.

"I'm Deux, you're name is Mai isn't it?" The boy said politely, he extended his hand and she shook it.

"Yeah, I may run and hide but I never tell a lie, that's me in a nutshell," Mai got up and pointed a finger to the ceiling. Deux giggled at Mai's statement, he found it cute and amusing.

"Well, it's nice to meet you Mai in a nutshell," Mai blushed when he smiled at her, "do you want to play with me?"

"Really?!"

"Yeah," he offered her a hand, she took it, and they went and played a lot of games, from blocks to coloring.

"Can you believe that Deuxis playing with that girl?! He doesn't even talk to other boys or anyone?!" Jera said alarmed.

Krissy smiled, at least Mai wasn't alone, she thought.

X.o.X.o.X.o.X.o.X.o.X

Heero finished the presentation, the investors were amazed by the work he had put into the presentation, even though it was done over night, he had done a very good job. He showed the pros and cons of the new virus that they wanted and the developing of the antivirus. He felt hypocrite at times, making antivirus for viruses that they created also. But it was what he was getting paid to do.

"We accept the proposal, we want the product," said aChinese man.

"Great, we'll have it ready for you in a month,"stated a short slender woman with platinum blond hair, her features similar to Brenda's.

"Alright, thank you for the wonderful presentation,"said a CEO from another company.

They all shook hands and closed the deal. Like always the blonde woman who was President of the company took credit for everything, including Heero's presentation. Heero didn't give adamn about it; he did the work because he needed the money and had nothing else to do. But he was offered the place of presidency and declined it. Rina, now president of the company decided that she would take it, her father was head of the company, but he knew that Heero was the hardest worker there and he was the one that helped the company rise. But since Heero declined that place, he gave it to his daughter, a spoiled brat like his grand-daughter Brenda.

"Nice work Yuy," Rina grabbed him by the waist, Heero pulled away, "tell me Heero, are you afraid of me, or is it that you just don't like woman?" she said getting annoyed.

"Is just woman like you who I dislike," Heero glared at her with the up most passion, he couldn't stand her.

"Watch it Yuy," she warned.

X.o.X.o.X.o.X.o.X.o.X

Heero left without saying another word. He hurried and grabbed the first elevator that opened its doors and pressed the 15th button. Once the doors opened he started to search for Mai and spotted her instantly. She was with the blonde boy playing with some puzzles.

"Let's go," Heero patted Maisha on the head.

"Uncle Heero!!" She squealed.

"Mr. Yuy," Deux greeted, Heero nodded as a greeting. He looked at the boy for an instant and then looked at Mai, he suddenly felt angry, she had ascratch on her face, her forehead looked red and untaken care of.

"Kid, what happened to you?"

Mai touched her forehead where the scratch was.

"Gomen uncle Heero, It's just-" she started but was interrupted by the gawking lady, Kendra.

"She started a fight with Mrs. Deverou'sdaughter."

Heero felt a twitch in his eye, Brenda was two years older than Mai, how could she pick a fight with a girl younger then her. /:Heero/: Iguess it runs in the family:

He glared at Kendra, she moved back a step and waved her hands.

"It wasn't my fault, that little girl can't control herself."

"It's not true, uncle Heero! I swear I didn't-"

"You shouldn't lie Maisha, it'swrong..." Kendra kept on interrupting Mai. Heero looked at Mai and he could tell she wasn't lying; he picked her up into his arms like a baby, and left without saying anything, because if he did he probably wouldn't control himself. He stopped when he saw the blonde boy in front of him worried.

"She's telling the truth, she didn't start, it was Brenda and Jera who started, please bring her back again!"

Heero looked at the boy, he seemed warm and kind, the worried look on his face reminded him a very dear friend. He motioned a yes and kept on walking, Mai waved good bye from Heero'sneck.

"Bye Deux, it was nice meeting you!"

"You too Mai! Take care! Come back soon!" He yelled after her.

Kendra didn't say another word and watched Heero leave with Mai in his arms.

Once outside the building, he set her down on the ground.

"Why were you fighting?" Heero interrogated her in his monotone soldier mode.

"I didn't started it-"

"That's not what I asked."

"Brenda and Jera, said that my mommy and daddy were stupid," Heero listened carefully, "and they said that you were dumb too and it's a lie cause you're really smart, I saw you reading all those big books yesterday and working 'till the morning... and my dad said that you were really smart too.. so see that's why Igot mad when she said that. She said that her mommy was better than you and that you were weird and that's why you weren't president and-"

Heero was astounded, this little girl got into a fight to defend him, she barely knew him and the time they had spent together he wasn't the warmest person, yet there she was with a big red scratch on her forehead because she defended him. Mai was afraid of what he had to say, afraid that he would tell her that what she did was wrong, but instead he crouched down to her height.

"Arigatou, Mai..." she felt so happy, it was the first time he had called her Mai, not little girl or kid, he called her by her name, "you have to understand, you're father trusted me with you. I will do whatever it takes to keep you safe."

Mai nodded and hugged Heero, the hug made Heero lose his balance and fall flat on the ground with Mai. She covered her mouth with both of her hands.

"I'm sorry uncle Heero, sir." But Heero couldn't hold on to it any longer, this time it was too much, it had been building up for along time, his head was tilted down as if looking to the ground, Mai was getting scared he didn't say anything, until he heard a noise come from him. He chuckled, and then he laughed, Heero laughed. For the first time in a very long time he laughed. Maisha thought it was the cutest laugh she'd ever heard, he laughed hard and Maisha did the same. One laugh made the sadness go away, that laugh made all the difference for that moment.

After that they walked to the parking lot on their way, a man standing in the corner handed Mai a piece of paper.

"COME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF WONDER, COME TO THE CIRCUS! IT'LL BE HERE THE NEXT WEEK FOR TWO WEEKS DON'TMISS OUT!" The man yelled.

Mai tried reading the paper, "Co...com...come to the..." Heero took the paper from her and read it on the way.

"Isn't that uncle Trowa'scircus!?" Mai asked excited. Heero stopped and re-read the piece of paper, and in a small picture in the background stood Trowa with his clown mask and Catherine with her knives.

"Can we go? Please...please...please can we go, I want to see uncle Trowa... pleaseeeeeee!!" She pleaded with her best puppy eyes, "I'll be good I promise I won't fight anymore!"

"We'll see."

To be continued...

(AN (1): Oyasumi nasai is a polite way to say Good-night)

.0.0.... .0.0.... .0.0.... .0.0.... .0.0.... .0.0.... .0.0.... .0.0.... .0.0.... .0.0.... .0.0....

READ AND REVIEW PEOPLE!

Lot's of LOVE to you Readers and writers!

Sign up to rate and review this story