Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Untitled Story - Year 1

New Ideas and a Letter

by matt311 0 reviews

Tis chapter two. See chapter one for a summary.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-08-21 - Updated: 2008-08-22 - 860 words

2Ambiance
Chapter Two - New Ideas and a Letter

When Harry returned home after school a few years later, after another 'incident', and finished his chores, and was back in his cupboard again, he went back to thinking about his appearance on the roof. He remembered several other times when he had made strange things happen, almost like magic. Having seen bits of several Sci-Fi shows on the telly, the closest thing he could come up with was teleportation. He also had made things change colour. Despite his relatives continued insistence that magic did not exist, he could come up with no better name for what he had managed to do. The more he thought about it, the more he wondered how he did it.

After about an hour of this, it clicked. Every time something odd happened, he had been in a rather emotional state. Running from Dudley and crew to avoid a beating, he had desired nothing more than to be some place out of their reach... such as the roof.

If I can teleport, shrink clothes so they won't fit, and change something's colour, maybe I can do more... But perhaps I should try to start with the colour changing first. thought Harry.

And so Harry began to test his abilities.

Several Years Later

Today was Harry's birthday. His eleventh, to be precise. Not that this meant much to Harry, though.

"Boy! Fetch the post!"

Yes, another birthday for Harry Potter, another day that was no different than any other day of the year.

"Yes, Uncle Vernon.", said Harry. "I wonder what would happen if I suggested that the whale over there fetch it instead... He certainly could use the exercise... No, it's been a good day so far, better not try my luck." muttered Harry as he went to get the post.

As Harry collected the post, he looked through it, he noticed one addressed to himself.

Now that's odd, I never get mail... thought Harry, as he put his envelope into his pocket and delivered the rest to a now impatient Uncle Vernon. Later that day, Harry opened his letter in his cupboard.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Headmaster: Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore (Order of Merlin, First Class, Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot)

Congratulations! You have been accepted at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Britain's foremost institution of Magical Education.

Enclosed is a list of supplies you will need for the upcoming school year. We await your acceptance letter no later than 31 July.

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress, Transfiguration Professor
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry


As he read it, he began to wonder if this was someone's idea of a joke.

"OWL my response? This HAS to be a sad attempt at a joke. How would I owl a response? What a sad excuse for a joke it is..."

As he finished reading it, he decided to get rid of it and ignore it... If his Aunt looked in here and found it, however unlikely it was she looked in his cupboard, he would not hear the end of it for weeks, and then there was his Uncle. Holding it in his hand, he focused and watched as the paper burst into flame so fast that there was hardly any smoke.

"So handy at times, these abilities..."

Over the past several years, Harry had managed to get a good handle on his abilities, not to mention become the top of his class at school. He had been pleasantly surprised to find he could pop, as he called it (he got sick of teleport, and pop seemed like a good description), anywhere he could visualize in his mind (so long, he figured, as it was a memory of a real place, and his memory was accurate. He hadn't decided to risk injury by trying to teleport somewhere he hadn't been, lest he end up in a wall or something equally unpleasant). He had decided for his own sake to keep his abilities somewhat hidden, and had imposed a set of rules on himself (such as no popping into someone's home, place of business, etc.).

He had also discovered he could talk to snakes after having a rather nice conversation with one at the zoo. He had never expected to start talking to a snake, let alone have one tell him it wanted to see Brazil.

He also found he could create a number of different kinds of fire (small flames like a lighter would produce, large balls of flame that he could also propel at a target, and some kind of neat blue flame), and could manipulate water to an extent (He couldn't make it do much on it's own, but he found he could encase it in his 'magic' and then manipulate that).

These were just some of the things that Harry Potter had managed to accomplish since his first thoughts on a school roof.

As he prepared to go to sleep and ready himself for another morning in the Dursley household, he put the letter out of his mind, and went to sleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story