Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Untitled Story - Year 1

September First

by matt311 1 review

Tis chapter seven. See chapter one for summary.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-08-21 - Updated: 2008-08-22 - 1817 words

2Insightful
Chapter 7 - September First
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, 1 September 1991
Taxi
Nearing King's Cross Station, London
10:25

Harry had made several more trips to Diagon Alley, and had gotten his school supplies over the course of several days.

He was currently riding a taxi to Kings Cross, after telling his uncle he was going to a boarding school (His uncle agreed to allow it almost immediately when he was told he didn't have to pay anything). Arriving at Kings Cross, Harry got out and made his way to the wall between platforms 9 and 10. He looked at the wall incredulously, then decided that stranger things had happened, and walked through it. As it was only 10:30. the platform was relatively empty, and he made his way onto the train. He found an empty compartment about a third of the way from the end of the train, and sat in it. He pulled a shrunken book out of his pocket and returned it to its original size, and began reading. He had taken to reading a lot lately, and had managed to get through the first year text books, and was now on the second year ones. As 11:00 approached, the train started to fill up.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, 1 September 1991
Platform 9 3/4
Kins Cross Station
11:00

As 11:00 rolled around, he heard the whistle sound, and the train started to move. Looking out the window, he saw the parents of students waving, and some already passing back through the barrier.

About 10 minutes into the journey, the compartment opened and a bushy head poked in.

"Have you seen a toad? A boy named Neville has lost one, it's named Trevor."

"Nope. Have you tried summoning it?" replied Harry.

"I don't remember a summoning spell in the first year books," said the girl.

"That's because there isn't one in them. I think it's from fourth year. Anyway," Harry said, and held his hand out. A few bits of colourful language from the corridor informed him that it seemed to be working.

"If you would come in, the toad should be right behind you," said Harry.

Looking surprised, the girl moved inside, out of the way, and Harry floated the toad inside.

"Here you go." He said, "One lost toad named Trevor. Now found."

"When do we learn that?" asked the girl.

"No idea. I'm a first year and only have the books up to fourth year," he said as he shrunk the book in is other hand and put it in his pocket.

"Then how do you know how to do that?" asked the girl.

"I've been doing things like that for several years already. That apparition thing is right useful, although I suppose I'll have to do more walking at Hogwarts, since apparently you can't Apparate there."

"What's your name?"

"Harry Potter, yours?"

"Hermione Granger. Wait, Harry Potter, as in The-Boy-Who-Lived Harry Potter?"

Harry frowned slightly. "Indeed."

"I've read all about you! You stopped You Know Who!"

"I've read all about me too... Such interesting works of fiction. I've never given an interview or answered any questions. I've learned to take anything you read with a large grain of salt."

Hermione looked thoughtful for a second.

"You didn't use a wand to get Trevor."

"Nope!"

"But, you need a wand to do magic!"

"Really? I assume you caused strange things to happen when you were younger?"

"Yes, accidental magic. I read that-", but she was cut off by Harry.

"And did you use a wand to do that?"

"No, I guess not."

"See, no wand necessary. Why don't we return that toad to Neville, and then I can try to teach you to do some magic without a wand, hmm?"

"Okay. Neville was looking around the front of the train."

Harry followed Hermione out of the compartment, and asked her to wait a moment. After a minute, there was a click, and the compartment was locked.

"Hadn't done that before, had to work out how to do it. Now, let's find Neville."

They found Neville in the second car in the train, and he seemed quite pleased to have his toad back. When they reached the compartment Harry had locked, he unlocked it, and they went inside.

After closing the door, Harry took his shrunken trunk out of his pocket, and set it on the floor. After enlarging it to normal size, he opened it and took out a piece of parchment.

"Now, when I started on controlling my magic, I started with changing something's colour," he said as the parchment turned green, then blue, then red, and back to normal. "What you've got to do is..."

After a few hours, Hermione had managed to turn the parchment green. After that, she found it became very easy to change it to a different colour. Harry was about to start on levitating it when the compartment door opened and three people barged in. Harry frowned.

"They're saying that Harry Potter is in this compartment." said the blonde boy, who appeared to be the same age as Harry.

"Yes, as far as I'm aware I am."

"And who are you?" said the blonde with a slight sneer to Hermione.

"Hermione Granger."

"Must be a Muggleborn, I don't recognise the name. Anyway Potter, I'm Draco Malfoy," said the boy, as though this should explain everything. "You'll find that some people are better than others. I can help you make friends with the right sort."

Harry, having heard the way he spat the term Muggleborn, and the way he talked down to people, was not impressed.

"Thanks, but no thanks, Malfoy. I think I can find the right sort on my own. Oh, and you might knock next time before you burst into a compartment, that's quite rude."

Malfoy sneered, and turned to leave.

"Come on Crabbe, Goyle. Let's go."

Harry looked at Hermione.

"Well, that was interesting. Apparently bigots are here to..."

"Yes."

Forgetting about levitating things, they talked for a while. Hermione apparently was a Muggleborn witch, and the daughter of two dentists. Growing up, she hadn't had many friends and was known mostly as a know-it-all. She seemed shocked at Harry's home life when he told her about the Dursleys (in vague terms).

"You're 'room' was a cupboard under the stairs?" asked Hermione, thinking he was exaggerating.

"Unfortunately, yes."

After a few hours, Harry felt the train slowing down.

"Best get changed into the school robes. We seem to be nearly there."

Hermione left to go get changed, and Harry changed into his school robes, and closed and shrunk his trunk.

A few minutes later, they pulled into Hogsmead Station, and Harry got off the train. Finding Hermione, they made their way towards a large man who was calling the first years to himself.

"I wonder what house I'll be in," said Hermione, "Probably Ravenclaw, since I like to learn."

"Same here, although going by the books on me, most people expect me to go into Gryffindor."

As they made their way across the lake in the small boats, they got their first look at Hogwarts.

"Big, isn't it. Looks like getting to class may be time consuming sometimes." said Harry.

As the boats reached their destination, and the students disembarked, they followed the large man, named Hagrid, as they found out in a minute, up some steps to a large wooden door. After knocking on them, Hagrid stood back and waited. Soon, the doors opened and Professor McGonagall thanked Hagrid.

On the way to the great hall, McGonagall explained the house system to the first years. When they had reached the great hall, the hat and stool were placed, and the sorting started.

As names were called, starting with "Abbot, Hannah!" students made their way to the stool and put on the hat, which called out the house they were to be in.

When Hermione's name was called, she picked up the hat and sat on the stool. After a moment, the hat called "GRYFFINDOR!" The look of surprise on her face was mirrored on Harry's. From the talking in the compartment, Hermione had seemed to be more of a Ravenclaw than anything.

When McGonagall got to "Potter, Harry", the hall became silent.

Harry went to the stool, and sat down, putting the hat on.

"Well, well, well. Where to put you?" said the hat in Harry's head.

How did you do that? My Occlumency-

Occlumency does not affect me, however anything I see in your mind will never be told to anyone. My job is to sort you, not expose your secrets. Very nice shields, however they could use a bit of work. Not bad for someone who hasn't had them tested.

Definitely not Slytherin. I'd rather not be with Malfoy.

I can see why. However, I do not believe Ravenclaw is for you, either. Though you would fit in almost any house, your best fit, other than Slytherin, is in
"GRYFFINDOR!"

Harry made his way to the Gryffindor table, and took a seat next to Hermione.

"Well, that was a surprise," commented Harry, "I was definitely not expecting Gryffindor."

When the sorting had finished (ending with "Zabini, Blaise"), Dumbledore stood and the hall grew quiet again.

"There is a time for speeches, but now is not that time. Tuck in!"

Food appeared on the tables, and after a moment of surprise from many of the first years, everyone started eating.

When Dumbledore stood, the deserts vanished, and the hall became silent once again.

"Now, I have a few start of term announcements to make before we head to bed. First, the Forbidden Forest is just that, Forbidden. Second, Mr. Filch would like me to remind you that there is to be no magic in the corridors between classes, and the list of banned items has been extended to include fanged Frisbees. Also, the third floor corridor is off limits to all who do not wish to suffer a most painful death. Now, I believe that concludes the announcements. Prefects will lead you to your dormitories. That is all."

Professor McGonagall caught Harry before he left the hall and told him that Dumbledore wanted to speak with him in his office the next day, and the password was "Chocolate Frogs."

As Harry hurried and caught up with Hermione, she asked him what that was about.

"Dumbledore wants to see me tomorrow. I suspect it's about my using magic without a wand. You might want to come with me; perhaps you could answer some questions better."

"Alright. When were you supposed to go?"

"No Idea. We'll have to see when we don't have classes after we get our schedules, tomorrow being Monday."

When they reached Gryffindor tower, they were told the password, and given a short tour of the common room.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: When I first started this story, I planned on putting Harry in Ravenclaw, but later decided against it. Next, we have the first day of class.
Sign up to rate and review this story