Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Untitled Story - Year 5

Not Another One!

by matt311 0 reviews

Harry starts his 5th year - AU, eventual H/Hr. MildlyPowerful!Harry, Smart!Harry, TakesInitiative!Harry. See chapter one for more detailed summary.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-08-21 - Updated: 2008-08-22 - 704 words - Complete

1Insightful
Chapter Six – Not another One!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 9 November 1995
Great Hall
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
12:45

As the students sat eating their lunch, Professor Umbridge stood up. Unlike when Dumbledore stood, the hall did not grow quiet.

“Hem, Hem.”

As the hall slowly quieted down, Umbridge started reading.

“Educational Decree Number 26. No Teacher may give students instruction in any subject not directly relating to the class material.” said Umbridge in her sickly sweet voice, before sitting down.

“Wonderful. She must have noticed the students flocking to Flitwick for Defence tutoring. I can probably get to within 5 for the number of passing Defence OWLs this year. The DA will do fine, and probably less than 5 others who have private tutoring over the summer.” said Harry, frowning at his plate.

“Another DA meeting tonight?” asked Ron.

“Why not. We’ve celebrated every other new educational decree with one since number 24.” said Harry, pulling out his Galleon and tapping it with his wand, changed the numbers on it. “I talked to Snuffles yesterday. Seemed quite pleased at us pulling what he called “The biggest prank since the Marauders” off right under everyone’s nose. I also told him about the ‘Order’, and he said that there needed to be something like it last time.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 9 November 1995
Room of Requirement
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
18:50

Harry was milling around the practising students. He was pleased with the progress that was being made. The room, true to its name, had come up with animated dummies for training, and Harry was currently working on improving accuracy and speed. DA meetings were up to 4 days a week now, and he still had not received any complaints about it, which surprised him, since he’d expected the Quidditch teams to be short on time. He was reluctant to make them any more frequent in case someone noticed something. He had worked through about 90 of the spells that could be covered on the OWLs, and had acquiesced when he started getting asked to teach wandless magic. About a quarter of the DA could now cast at least a third of the spells that would be on the defence OWL wandlessly and silently, and more than half could cast over three quarters of the spells silently with a wand. Yes, Harry was very pleased. There was bound to be some noise made when the ministry tried to take credit for the higher than normal OWL scores.

Moving to the front of the room again, Harry blew his whistle.

“Alright, we are way ahead of where I expected to be now when we started this group, and I thought we might start learning something not included on the OWLs. Who here knows how to cast a patronus?”

As nobody raised a hand or said anything, Harry continued. “Who can tell me what a patronus does?”

Harry called on a 5th year Ravenclaw.

“Yes, Mr. Boot?”

“A patronus will repel a dementor, and if strong enough will drive them away.”

“Yes! Now, the incantation is Expecto Patronum. The incantation alone is not enough, however. You must also focus on one extremely happy thought. It might be a memory, or something else that makes you extremely happy. You should practise being able to call that thought up without effort. A dementor will make it much, much harder to do that. Now, let’s try it. On the count of three, then. One, Two, Three.”

Shouts of Expecto Patronum filled the room, and silvery mist hung like a fog, interspersed with a few corporeal animals. After the fog had vanished, and the students instructed to think happier thoughts, Harry counted again.

This time, a veritable zoo of creatures appeared, ranging from Harry’s stag, to Hermione’s otter, to elephants, birds, cats, dogs, and even something that looked to be a Pterodactyl.

“Oh, very good!” said Harry, “The examiners will be surprised by this, no doubt. When I learned it, I was told that most adult wizards had a problem conjuring a corporeal patronus. While having one on the second try is good, remember that the longer you are under the effects of a dementor, the harder it will get to pull up that happy thought.”
Sign up to rate and review this story