Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Untitled Story - Year 5

The 'Other' Order

by matt311 0 reviews

Harry starts his 5th year - AU, eventual H/Hr. MildlyPowerful!Harry, Smart!Harry, TakesInitiative!Harry. See chapter one for more detailed summary.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-08-21 - Updated: 2008-08-22 - 1431 words - Complete

2Insightful
Chapter Seven – The “Other” Order
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 9 November 1995
Room of Requirement
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
20:00

Harry was pleased with the progress of both the DA and those in his ‘Order’. While the DA was learning spells at a rapid pace, the Advanced DA (the name decided upon for the Order) was learning them much slower. Not because there was any difficulty, but because in addition to learning the spells, they also learned to do them silently, and some wandlessly. No need to alert the enemy of your presence by shouting. None of the Advanced DA had the control of their magic Harry did, and most ended up treating their hand as a wand and thinking the spell instead of speaking it. This slightly lowered the power of the spells, but this was eventually fixed with practise. Of those in the ADA, only Harry, Ron, Hermione, Luna, Neville, and 5 others could “Harry-Pop” for reasons unknown. They were the team leaders, and others who might need to quickly get somewhere. The rest of the ADA, which was now up to 28 members (the DA was now up to about 50, made up of students from 4th through 7th year from various houses), had tried to learn, but nothing ever happened. Harry was working on how to solve it.

The trio had settled on a symbol to send up when they went on attack. It consisted of a lightning bolt splitting a skull in half (the same skull as in the Dark Mark, in fact), above which, separated by the lightning bolt, was an eagle with a snake in its claws on the left, and a Lion with a rat’s tail sticking out of its mouth on the right. Having no desire to cause issues, they made it invisible to muggles.

They had also devised a modified camouflage to wear, made out of dragon hide for the original ten, which Harry purchased using the money from his Trust Vault, since it was renewed from the Potter family vault on 1 January every year (the surprised merchant’s discount didn’t hurt, either). The others wore regular fabric versions. The camouflage greatly resembled a cross between the British Army’s DPM pattern and the Canadian CADPAT pattern, and had been dubbed “CU” (Combat Uniform) by the ADA. Each had the ADA’s symbol on the arm near the shoulder. The members who specialised in healing also had the generic red cross on white underneath that. On the other sleeve was a number indicating the team they were normally assigned to. They had decided against robes, since they were too easy to get tangled up on something when moving.

In a stroke of genius, Hermione had managed to charm the pattern on the CUs so it could be changed with a command and the touch of a wand between solid black, light green, and a grey camouflage a few days before the demonstration. As Ron had said, it was “Much better suited to blending in than those Auror robes.” Harry just thought they had a better ‘shock-value’. They had decided on camouflage even though there were charms that rendered them nearly invisible because of Moody’s magic eye. Even to him, they would be hard to spot with the camouflage, assuming he couldn’t look for body heat. With the comfort charms that had been added to them, many members had started wearing them under their robes.

Harry and Hermione, noticing the need for efficient communication that was invisible, had started working on a magical equivalent to two way radios similar to the communication mirrors, but without the visual. Fred and George had diverted some of their pranking genius to the creation of weapons and armour. They had created the equivalent of a flash-bang grenade by accident, and Harry and Ron were ecstatic, and had asked them to come up with a normal exploding grenade.

Hermione was pleased about the whole thing, because in the course of preparing the ADA, they had been reviewing much of the material that would be tested in the OWLs, as well as NEWTs. The only subjects that weren’t touched on were Divination, Astronomy, and History of Magic. Hermione found this method of study highly agreeable, since even Ron took advantage of it.

As Harry sat at a table in the Room of Requirement, he was struck with an idea.

“Hermione, Ron, come here for a minute. I’ve just thought of something.”

“What’d you think of?” asked Ron.

“Ron, could you pop to somewhere and wait five minutes before popping back here?”

“Sure!” said Ron before disappearing.

“What are you going to do?” asked Hermione, looking curious.

“I’m going to try to pop to a person instead of a location.” said Harry, before vanishing.

He reappeared next to Ron, who was standing in the Shrieking Shack.

“Excellent! Let’s get back and tell Hermione it worked!” said Harry before disappearing, leaving a puzzled Ron to pop back to the Room of Requirement.

“Tell her what worked, Harry?” said Ron as he appeared in the room.

“That we can now pop to a person as well as a location. Just focus on the person instead of the location, and Bob’s your uncle.”

Towards the end of the session, Harry waved Ron and Hermione over again.

“I think we should work on how to create some way for members to alert the rest of us to a problem. I’d like to be able to know who called for assistance so we can aid them, as well. Hermione, I’d like you to work on that.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 23 November 1995
Room of Requirement
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
19:45

Harry called a stop for the meeting. Walking up to the front carrying a bag, he pulled out a small bronze plate. On one side was a hole. On the front of the plate it read:

Harry Potter

Commander, Adv. DA

“This is a nifty little device Hermione came up with. It allows you to notify those of us in charge of the Advanced DA that you are under attack, and need assistance. To activate it, you use an activation word. The activation word that they all currently have is “Octogenarian”. If, for some reason, that is likely to be used by you in normal conversation, come to Hermione, and she’ll change it. They all have a hole in one side, and we recommend that you keep it on you at ALL times. Also, if anyone named Delores Umbridge touches them, they give off a nasty jolt. If you’ll all come forward and take yours, this meeting is over.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 23 November 1995
Room of Requirement
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
20:00

“The little plates you all have are slightly more featured than those of the regular DA. The team leaders and commanders can use them to talk to each other to coordinate. The rest of you have plates that will notify you if we need your help. The plate will heat and vibrate, and the text will change, asking if you are or will be able to render assistance within 2 minutes, and will give details about the situation. If you are, tapping the plate and saying yes will start a timer on a Portkey to the location of the requesting leader. If you do not respond yes within 30 seconds, it will assume you are unable to assist. The target time to render aid is two and a half minutes.” explained Harry.

“If you are wounded, you or anyone can tap it and say “Critical”, and you will be taken to St. Mungo’s. We suggest that you only use that feature if the wound is extremely critical.” continued Harry.

“Now, just to remind you, this group is not all fun and games. If we ever engage death eaters, there is a very real chance that you could become seriously injured or be killed. If you cannot function under those conditions, let one of us in command know, and you will be moved to the non-combat section of the ADA. Fred and George will show you how to spell, brew, build, and prepare the hardware we use, which is as important as the combat it will be used in. Any questions?”

“Can we hide the text so that if we are questioned, nothing suspicious shows?” asked a sixth year Ravenclaw.

“I knew I forgot something. Yes, simply tap it and say ‘hide’, and the plate will become invisible. To show it again, tap it and say ‘show’.” said Harry.
Sign up to rate and review this story