Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Untitled Story - Year 6

The Order Meeting

by matt311 2 reviews

This follows year five for The Untitled Story. Same tags as Year 5. See Chapter 1 for detailed Summary. Year 5 is required reading if you want an idea of what is going on.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-08-22 - Updated: 2008-08-23 - 1747 words

1Original
Chapter Four – The Order Meeting
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 15 June 1996
Kitchen
#12 Grimmauld Place
20:00

As the meeting commenced, Harry, Hermione, and Mr. and Mrs. Granger were drawing looks from the assembled members; Harry and Hermione, because they were in their CUs, Dan and Emma because they were still known as muggles to most of the order.

“Why are they here? I certainly don’t have a problem with it, but they’re muggles, and I thought only wizards and squibs were in the order.” said Sirius, looking at the Grangers.

“Excellent question, Sirius. Dan, Emma, why exactly are you here?” asked Dumbledore, looking curious.

“Well, firstly, we aren’t muggles.” said Dan, smiling.

“What is this nonsense? You would have been on the register at Hogwarts if you were magical.” said McGonagall.

“Not if their magic had been bound.” said Dumbledore, looking thoughtful. “Actually, that makes a lot of sense.”

“Do tell, Albus.” said Snape, looking bored.

Before Dumbledore could explain, Harry started.

“There are several theories around concerning the existence of Muggleborn witches and wizards. One of them is that sometimes, the magic that some families used to bind their magic during the witch hunts cancel each other out when they attempt to combine in a child. We believe that this is what happened with Hermione, since both her parents had their magic bound.”

Dumbledore again looked thoughtful. Deciding to talk to them about it after the meeting, he moved on. The next order of business was the whereabouts of Harry.

“Harry, I would like to know where you are staying this summer.” said Dumbledore, back in kindly old grandfather mode.

“I’m in a safe location. That’s all you need to know.” replied Harry, not wanting to have Dumbledore set minders on him. As Mrs. Weasley opened her mouth to start speaking, Harry held up his hand.

“Mrs. Weasley, I am more than safe. Where I am staying is under a modified Fidelius charm. It is Unplottable. The list of wards on it takes up 2 feet of parchment in very small writing. In order to get there, you have to know it exists, and only the owner or someone they allow can tell someone where it is. I can even take you there myself after the meeting, if it will remove any doubt about the safety of my residence. The only place safer would be a Gringotts vault. I’d mention Hogwarts, but too many hazards are routinely LET IN for it to be considered safe.” said Harry, looking at Dumbledore when he emphasised LET IN. “I know you just want to keep me safe, but I am capable of ensuring my safety without your help, currently. When I have need of help, I’ll ask for it.”

As the meeting continued, Snape gave his report. Apparently, Voldemort was still trying to come up with a new plan of action, and his death eaters were growing restless.

After everyone else had given their reports, Harry stood to give his.

“I’d just like to remind you that the ADA is not an arm of the Order, and is run by myself, Ron, and Hermione. Moving on, the ADA is currently made up of 43 members, 30 of which are assigned to combat duty. The other 13 are healers, or help Fred and George with manufacture. So far, the only injuries we have sustained occurred in Hogsmeade when a troll brought the side of a building down on Team 5. The ADA is currently waiting on Moldishorts to make a move.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 15 June 1996
Kitchen
#12 Grimmauld Place
19:00

As the meeting ended, Dumbledore approached Harry, Hermione, Dan, and Emma.

“When did you discover you weren’t muggles?” asked Dumbledore, curious.

“June first. Harry cast some spell to check for magical objects, and apparently we glowed. We were somewhat surprised.” said Dan.

“Actually, we were wondering how we could learn magic, since we’re far past school age. Harry and Hermione have been teaching us in the evenings after we get off work, and so far it’s worked very well.” said Emma. “Speaking of teaching, I’d like to talk to you about some of your hiring practises. Hermione hasn’t painted a masterpiece when it comes to your selections.”

As Emma steered Dumbledore away, Harry grinned.

“Poor Dumbledore, he won’t know what hit him.”

As Harry and Hermione cornered Sirius and Remus, Dan spotted Moody, and made his way over.

“I knew you were a wizard with a knife, but I never knew you were a Wizard.” said Dan, walking up to Moody.

“Dan Granger? I thought you looked familiar. I think this is what they call ‘Small World’, isn’t it?”

As they were catching up and discussing developments, Harry and Hermione were talking to Sirius and Remus.

“Do either of you remember how you made the Maruaders’ Map?” asked Harry hopefully.

“We have a book of notes on it, why?”

“I want to make something similar, only of the entire UK, with some extra features.”

“The ENTIRE UK? Are you insane? You wouldn’t be able to read the dots, they’d be so close together, unless you plan to make a map the size of two Quidditch pitches…” said Sirius, his eyes bugging out.

“Oh, I’d only want it to show everyone when zoomed in on a specific area. Otherwise, I’d just want it to show Voldy and his minions, the ADA and related people, and possibly the Order. Along with some other things, but those can be discussed later.” said Harry.

“Let me guess, for your War Room?” asked Lupin.

“Yes. Well, one of the maps, anyway. Having Ron flying above us on his broom is not the best way to get the information. The map wouldn’t be affected by clouds, rain, snow, wind, etc.”

“Where will this war room be, exactly?”

“Potter Manor. I think I found a suitable room. We can modify it to suit our needs, at any rate.”

“When were you hoping to start this map?” asked Sirius.

“As soon as possible. If you’re able, we could start it tomorrow. Hermione will probably be interested in asking you loads of questions, too.” said Harry, earning him a look from Hermione.

“I’ll work up a list of what I want and need it to do tonight. You both can get to Potter Manor, right?” asked Harry.

“Yes, James took us there a number of times. If we arrive around one in the afternoon, will that be a problem?” asked Sirius.

“No, that will be fine.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile, Dumbledore was getting a thorough dressing-down.

“So, could you perhaps explain some of your hiring decisions? The Defence Against the Dark Arts teachers in particular. So far, I’ve heard that there has been one possessed professor, one fraud, one death eater, and one werewolf. I don’t mind the last one so much, having heard only good things about him, but please do explain the others.”

“I had no idea that Quirrell was possessed, let alone by Voldemort. When he took the position, he was not possessed.” said Dumbledore.

“And you didn’t think to check whether everything was kosher when he came back from where was it, yes, Albania, with a terrible stutter, wearing a turban, and reeking of garlic? That didn’t seem odd to you?”

“He said he’d had a run in with a vampire, hence the garlic.”

“Hermione said that Harry suspected he wasn’t quite what he seemed after three classes with him! Are you telling me you didn’t notice anything strange about him?”

“No. Like I said, He said he had come back fro–” started Dumbledore, before being cut off by Emma.

“Moving on to their second year. Would you be so kind as to explain how you managed to hire the fraud of the century? Hermione and Harry both noticed that his stories didn’t match up, unless he can be in three places at one time, that is.”

“He was actually the only one to apply for the position.” said Dumbledore lamely.

“Third year, you hired a werewolf. I haven’t heard any bad things about him, so I’ll move on. Fourth year, you had a death eater impersonating one of your supposed “friends.” Do you mean to tell me he didn’t seem to be acting off from what you knew?”

“No, he seemed completely normal to me.”

“And now, we have one Severus Snape. From what I’ve heard, he can’t teach worth soiled pants. I’d expect even wizards would know that someone having knowledge doesn’t necessarily mean someone can teach. Why did you hire him?”

“He needed to be protected.”

“So, instead of hiring someone who can TEACH, you hire him because he needs protecting? He may be a Potions Master, but he dislikes everyone from one of the houses at your school with a passion, is severely biased towards his own house, does not teach, merely says “follow the list”, and is not inclined to answer questions. In the muggle world, your track record would get you sacked at a minimum. You don’t hire someone because they need protecting, you hire them because they can teach the subject. Why didn’t you simply house Snape at Hogwarts?”

“Voldemort needed to think he had a spy at Hogwarts.”

After taking a few calming breaths, Emma continued.

“You mean to tell me you subjected over a decade’s worth of students to a sub-standard teacher because you needed Voldemort to think he had a spy at Hogwarts? Why didn’t you find a different professor after Voldemort was defeated?”

“The Slytherins were singing his praises, and only the Gryffindors were making noise over him.”

“Did you even listen to the complaints?” asked Emma, looking bewildered.

“Yes. I told Severus to fix the problems.”

“You do realize that from what I’ve seen of Harry in the potions lab where he’s staying, he rather enjoys the subject, and even apparently has a talent for it? His dislike of the subject prior to this summer was due entirely to Professor Snape. I wonder how many others share in this, Dumbledore.” said Emma, before stalking off to find Dan.

Dan, seeing Emma approaching and looking ready to kill someone with her bare hands, grimaced.

“That bad?” he asked her.

“Possibly worse. If he were headmaster of a muggle school, he’d have been sacked long ago.”
Sign up to rate and review this story