Categories > Original > Drama > The Stupid Boy and the Outsider

Chapter 5

by joy2008 0 reviews

The Stupid Boy and the Outsider Chapter 5

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-08-28 - Updated: 2008-08-29 - 1973 words - Complete

1Exciting
Chapter 5

It's Saturday. I've been dreading this day. I know that Kristine isn't happy about it. Freakin-A even Berna's not happy with it. After hours of hearing her bitch about having her best and only friend go out with her enemy I finally got her to calm down. Well, for Berna it was calm, for anyone else it would still be bitching. Before we got off the phone last night I got her to agree to come over and help me get ready.

"I can't believe you're going on a date with Kevin," she said as she looked through my bookshelf.

"I'm not going on a date with him. We don't want to be there, but Kevin has to be there and I'm just being agood friend and hanging out with him."

She walked to my closet saying,"Date or not I think you should wear something really nice. Kristine shouldn't get all the attention."

"Why? I have no one to impress,"I said. "And if I did I wouldn't care."

She turned to look at me with one eyebrow raised. "So you're telling me if there was a hot guy there, you wouldn't care that you were wearing... that?" She said looking at my outfit in disgust.

"Hey! It's comfortable and not whory."

"I know, but really, a t-shirt and jeans?"

"You just want me to get all dressed up because you don't want Kristine to be the center of attention and thus starting out the night on a bad note for her." I know how her brain works and that is exactly what she wanted.

"It's good to know you agree,"she said sifting through my clothes and finding a white baby doll top with afloral and butterfly print and a denim skirt. I really don't remember where those came from. "How about this?" She asked.

I looked down at what I was wearing and back to what she was holding. "How about I keep my jeans and Ichange my top?"

She rolled her eyes before agreeing.

"Jackie the boys are here," I heard mom say a few minutes later.

Berna and I walked down the stairs to see both Kevin and Joe in short sleeved polo shirts.

"Aren't you happy I got you to change? You would have been odd person out," Berna said next to me.

"Wow," both boys said at the same time. They gave each other a weird look before looking back to me.

"You're welcome," Berna said. This time the three of us gave her a weird look. "There would be no 'Wow,'" she mimicked, "if I didn't get you to change your shirt."

"I never knew you owned something... nice," Joe said. Kevin hit him before shaking his head. "What? I didn't."

"Let's get going," Kevin suggested.

We dropped Berna home before picking Kristine up. Joe went to her door to get her. He was gone for a few minutes, meeting the parents I guess. When they came out Kristine was in a red tank top with a denim mini skirt. I guess it was a good thing I stuck to my jeans. When we got to the theater the guys were complete gentlemen opening up our doors and everything. So far Kristine didn't say a word to me nor did she make any snide comments.

Kevin and I were sitting a couple rows in front of Joe and Kristine. I faintly heard him say, "Yeah we started aband." Pulling out the big guns already Joe? He must really like her. I heard some giggling and whispers until the movie started, things were going well.

We went to a little diner for dinner, but it was a bit crowded. It was a Saturday night after all.

"I can seat you four kids in afew minutes," the waitress said.

"Actually," Kristine said. "We'd like to sit at separate tables," she said separating herself and Joe from Kevin and me.

"Well, that's gonna take a bit longer," she said before walking off with a coffee pot in hand.

We stood there for a minute. Ireally don't wan to wait for a table.

"Why don't we go to Wendy's or something?" I suggested.

Kristine scoffed. "Wendy's? It's no wonder you're as big as you are."

"Actually, I think it's a good idea," Kevin said getting a no-it-isn't look from Joe and Kristine. "If we go to Wendy's we could order from the drive thru and go to... the lake or something."

"Yeah, it'll be... romantic," I said turning to Kevin with an I-hope look on my face.

Kristine begrudgingly agreed and we all got in the car and headed over to the nearest Wendy's to get our food. It took 10 minutes to get to a nearby lake.

"So... you guys wanna stay in here or go out there?" Kevin asked.

No one said anything causing afew seconds to feel like a few hours. "It's a nice night out. I'd like to eat out there," I said.

"Well, we'll stay in here,"Kristine said immediately after.

Kevin looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Okay, let me check the trunk for a blanket or something for us to sit on," he said. Of course, there wasn't one. That would have been too planned and coincidental.

"What about the car mats?" I suggested. Kinda gross I know, but when you have to chose between some dry dirt to wet grass I'd rather have the dirt.

Kevin agreed and we headed to alittle patch of grass by the lake. Kevin took the car keys too, just in case. There was an awkward silence as Kevin and I sat side by side alone. We just sat there eating our food. I knew I didn't think of him as more than a brother and he didn't think of me as more than a sister, but it was still a little weird. We were never really close, I mean, if I barely knew Joe, my best friend, how much could I know about Kevin?

"You look really nice tonight,"Kevin said breaking the silence.

"Thanks. You don't look too bad yourself."

"I don't agree with what Kristine said. You know about you being 'big,'" he said throwing up air quotes. "You're normal sized."

"Thanks." Now it was starting to feel weird, like... like...

"Kinda feels like awkward flirting doesn't it," Kevin said with a laugh.

"That's exactly what I was thinking. I just couldn't find the right words. Awkward flirting," I said with a laugh. "That sounds accurate."

"Well, I'm not trying to flirt with you. You're great and all, but you're more like... a sister to me."

"Exactly," I said with a nod and finishing off my burger.

The silence after that was pretty peaceful with light chit chat in between.

"So," Kevin said. "Why do you two hate each other?" I knew he was talking about Kristine.

"I don't i/hate//i her, but she hates me," I explained. "And she hates me because she hates Berna and since we're best friends she hates me too."

I saw Kevin look back at the car. It looked like he was looking for something, so I looked too. It looked like there wasn't anyone in there anymore.

"Did they leave?" I asked out loud.

He turned to look at me and said,"I don't know if I want them to be there or not." I gave him a curious look."Think about it, if they're still in there and we can't see them then they must be doing you know... stuff, but if they left who knows what they're doing or if they'll get hurt."

"So either way it's like we lose," I said getting a nod from Kevin. He looked at his watch. "It's almost 10, we should be headed home."

We got up taking the mats and our trash with us. When we got closer to the car we could see Joe lying down in the back seat with Kristine straddling him while they made out.

"It looks like she's trying to eat his face," I accidentally said out loud. Kevin instantly burst out in laughter. His laugh was so contagious that I couldn't help but laugh along with him. He was doubled over his hands on his knees and I was hunched over my arms crossed on his back. We heard the car horn honk and looked up to see Joe leaning over between the front seats. Kevin and I composed ourselves as much as we could as we got in the car. We dropped Kristine home where Joe walked her to her door and gave her a light kiss goodnight. When we got back to the parsonage Joe barely waited for the car to stop before he ran out of the car and into the house.

"What was that all about?" Kevin asked. I shrugged thinking he wanted to call Jerby or JD. "Well, let me walk you home," Kevin said opening my door.

"You don't have to, it's just over there," I said.

"I know, but I'm a gentleman and it's what we do." We walked over to my house. "You have fun?"

"Yeah, the movie was great and it was nice sitting out on the lake."

"And the whole eating his face thing was the icing on the cake," he said laughing a little.

"Hey," we heard Joe say as he came running up to us.

"Hey," we said back.

"My mom says I can stay the night if it's okay with your parents."

Kevin and I shared a glance before I said that I'd ask. I said goodbye to Kevin giving him a hug before Joe and I went in the house. My dad was in the living room. This is the closest thing to a date and I guess he was waiting up for me.

"Hey dad," I said as I walked in the room. "Is it okay if Joe stays the night? We'll just sleep here in the living room."

He looked a little hesitant to answer. He usually had no problem with Joe or Berna spending the night. Maybe he though I had a date with Joe tonight.

"Did your parents say its okay?"He asked Joe.

"Yeah, if it's okay with you."

"Okay, don't stay up too late,"dad said before giving me a kiss on the forehead and heading to his room.

Once my dad was out of hearing range Joe started gushing about the date. I guess he didn't want to talk to JD or Jerby about it, at least not tonight. I listened intently as he rambled on and on about it. I was there for most of it; did he really need to tell me about it? Eventually we both fell asleep on the couch. I think I fell asleep first since the last thing I remember was him talking about Kevin and me laughing really loud. Maybe I was really tired and delusional, but he almost sounded jealous.

-- -- -- --

My bed feels lumpy. That's the first thought I got this morning. Also my neck hurts, probably from the lumpiness or a bad sleeping position... or both. There's no scratching sound so it must be really early. I rub my face into my pillow trying to go back to sleep, but instead I hear a low rumbling noise. I open my eyes and they instantly meet the entertainment system in my living room. So that explains the lumpy bed. I tilt my head up and roll it so that my chin is the only thing in contact with my "pillow." Shocked at what I saw I accidentally pushed him off the couch.

"Oww," Joe grumbled as he sat up on the floor. "Why'd you do that for?"

Author's Note: Review? Maybe? Are you even reading?
Sign up to rate and review this story