Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Chosen One

Chapter 6

by omega13c 9 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres:  - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry,Lupin - Published: 2008-09-04 - Updated: 2008-09-04 - 3848 words

5Ambiance
Chapter 6

Dumbledore waited in his office. It was late and nearly everyone at Hogwarts was in bed. This would be second time he has met Remus in two days.

Dumbledore was surprised that he got a reply from Andrew Potter. As soon as he got a reply, Dumbledore got intrigued and wanted to find out about this person. Was he really a member of the Potter family or some impostor Dumbledore wondered. Dumbledore decided to inform a friend of the Potter family, Remus Lupin, about the situation in hopes that Remus would might know more about the Potter family then he did.

Remus was living in a self imposed exile. After James and Lily Potter and Peter Pettigrew were murdered, and Sirius Black sent to Azkaban for their deaths, Remus had no friends left, retreated to a run down cottage, and didn't keep up with the events in the Wizarding World. Dumbledore felt it ironic that the only werewolf in history to not only be given a seat in the Wizengamont, but to actually attend meetings had ended up like that.

Remus was mad over Dumbledore failing to check up on Harry sooner but volunteered to “spy” on Andrew Potter if the situation needed it and Andrew Potter agreed to let him be a tutor for Harry without Dumbledore even asking him. He even went so far as to demand to be given custody of Harry if Andrew proves to be an impostor (something about not being impressed with people's choices concerning a cub). Dumbledore told Remus he'll see what he could do about that as that there weren't many people in the Ministry of Magic that had afavorable opinion of werewolves despite the fact they knew there was a werewolf on the Wizengamont. It infuriated Dumbledore the Ministry had kept it a secrete because they didn't want werewolves to start demanding representation. Dumbledore considered that cover-up one of the most brainless ideas the Ministry had in the time he had served on the Wizengamont. The Ministry could have instead have used Remus as an ambassador to the werewolves and get them to oppose Voldemort knowing that there was one of their kind on Wizengamont fighting for their rights. If it ever did become public knowledge, Dumbledore feared he would be given credit for Remus being on the Wizengamont as that he allowed Remus to attend Hogwarts. It was James Potter's idea. He thought James was above nepotism after James' sixth year but appointing all his friends to the Wizengamont seats he controlled rather they were qualified or not disappointed him.

When Remus finally arrived, Dumbledore to Remus straight to his Pensieve. Dumbledore felt he should show Remus at least the beginning of the strange meeting he had with Andrew Potter. That meeting raised questions that Dumbledore wanted answered after doing some research after the meeting was over. Dumbledore never felt so puzzled since he saw an entry in the Ministry's records that Voldemort was headed to Albania. Nobody wanted to believe him since at the time, just about everyone who wasn't in the Order was convinced Voldemort was dead and he was the only person who bothered to look at those records in ahundred years. Dumbledore often wondered why the Ministry continued to keep records of witches and wizards leaving and entering the Britain and Ireland but never checked them, not even in criminal cases where the wanted person had disappeared without a trace. Now he had another mystery to solve that involved the records the Ministry kept but never bothered to check.

“Remus, I met with Andrew Potter earlier today. I'm not quite sure what to make of him. I think its best I show you how the meeting went.”Dumbledore said removing a copy of a memory from his mind and placing it in the Pensieve for Remus to view and the two of them entered the memory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were inside of Dumbledore office. Dumbledore was standing near the fireplace with Madam Pomphrey. A head suddenly appeared in the Dumbledore's fireplace.

“Andrew Potter I presume? Please, you and Harry can come through. ”Dumbledore asked noticing the head.

Remus watched curiously as a young man, probably still in his teens, came out of the fireplace. 'He looks so much like James except for the eyes.' Remus thought.

After Andrew came threw, a boy that could only be Harry came threw. It was first time he had seen Harry since the night that James and Lily Potter died.

'Apparently the Potter genes are dominate as hell.' Remus said, noticing that Harry, like Andrew looked so much like James.

“Harry, this is Madam Pomphrey. She's a doctor and wants to see if you are healthy. Please answer all her questions truthfully.” Andrew instructed Harry.

“Yes, dad.” Harry said.

Remus got mad. 'How dare Harry call Andrew dad! James is probably spinning in his grave!' he thought.

“If you will fallow me, Harry. You look so much like your father James except you have you mum's eyes. Why anyone would lock a cute kid such as yourself up in cupboard is beyond me...” Madam Pomphrey said, obviously disapproving of how the Dursleys treated Harry. Her and Harry soon left the office and Remus assumed headed to the hospital wing.

“Well, Mr. Potter, face to face at last.” Dumbledore said shaking Andrew's hand. “Care for a lemon drop?”

“No thanks.” Andrew replied as they sat down and Dumbledore's desk.

“You're younger then I expected. The Dursleys were rather vague in describing your age...”

“I'm 15. I'll be 16 at the end of July.”

“So I take it you haven't completed your education yet?”

“Yes, sir.”

Remus noticed that Andrew was wearing the Potter family ring. Assuming it wasn't a fake, that meant this Andrew Potter had claimed family headship. Remus didn't like the idea of a teenager not only doing that but deciding to take a child in as well. It seamed to him that this Andrew Potter wanted to grow too quickly. Remus felt him and Dumbledore must try to convince Andrew to at least have a real adult living in the Potter Manor with them. If he didn't, they would have to find some way to remove Harry from Andrew's care. A teenager raising a kid by themselves was a recipe for a disaster in Remus'opinion.

“Well, I strongly advise you continue it. You could attend classes here at Hogwarts so you can get an idea of the school Harry will be attending in a few years. His parents put his name down to come here when he born. Its a binding magic contract.”

“I would like to sir, but from what I heard, Hogwarts is a boarding school and I don't want Harry to have another change in his surroundings so soon. I mean he can go when its his time but for me to take him here so I can take classes...” Andrew said a little nervous.

“Well, I noticed you have a Potter family ring. You know wearing that makes you legally an adult. The adult students are free to come and go as they please as long as their head of house or I know where they are. You can be here just for the classes and go home to Harry. Which reminds me, what are planning for Harry's schooling?” Dumbledore inquired.

“I haven't decided yet. I was thinking about sending him to a Muggle school but I'm not sure if its a good idea with him now knowing he's a wizard.”

“Usually most parents either teacher their children the basics themselves or hire a private tutor. If I recall, while at Harry's first birthday, afriend of the Potter family, Remus Lupin volunteered to tutor Harry. I can contact him if you like. I'm pretty sure he can also watch Harry when you're at school.”

Andrews eyes lit up as if he was a child walking into a candy store before saying, “Please do.”

Dumbledore eyed Andrew a little surprised.

'Why would react that way?' Remus thought.

“So, what do I have to do enroll in Hogwarts?” Andrew asked.

“Well, you just have fill out some forms. I think you should be placed with sixth years based on your age. If you can't handle the work or find it to easy, we'll move you to the appropriate year.”

“I think fifth year would be better. This last school year was my worst ever. A lot of people including a couple of teachers wanted to make my life miserable and I don't think I learned stuff as well as Iwould have liked...” Andrew said, rubbing his right wrist.

“As you wish. I'll give you the paper work when you leave. Now, back to the purpose of this meeting.”

“Yes, about Harry.”

“I believe you are old enough to know about Voldemort and that he...”

“Tried to kill Harry and you wanted him placed with his mother's relatives so that he could be protected using blood wards to keep away people wishing to harm him.” Andrew interrupted.

“I see you've done your research. After that article in the Daily Prophet the other day, I think it is very wise to increase the security around the Potter Manor.” Dumbledore said calmly.

“Already done. I become a blood relative of my aunt so the blood wards could be transferred over to the Potter Manor which they were the day before that article was printed.”

Dumbledore looked rather shocked.

“I see.” Dumbledore said nodding.

'Why would Andrew do such a thing?' Remus wondered. 'Dumbledore said there hadn't been any Death Eater attacks since early 1982... All the Death Eaters that had avoided Azkaban are keeping a low profile and trying to make up for all the bad they did...'

“I'm just curious, how did you learn that Harry was your cousin?”Dumbledore asked.

“I would say by chance.” Andrew said.

Dumbledore looked carefully at Andrew. Remus assumed Dumbledore was attempting Legilimency on him. The suddenly Dumbledore looked a little puzzled.

“What do mean?” Dumbledore asked, obviously curious.

“I was researching my father. I never knew him or anyone who did. I was told he left my mother shortly after I was born. My mother died shortly later and I went to go live with her sister and husband. They didn't exactly like my father and the fact he was a wizard. My mother, her sister and husband were all Muggles. I grew up not knowing anything about my father. All they said was my father and mother died in a car crash which I now know isn't true.

“They never told me I was a wizard and they believed they could stamp out my magic by being rude to me. I can relate to what Harry went threw at his aunt and uncle's because how my own relatives treated me. Odd things would happen around me and couldn't figure out why. Things would move without anyone touching them and occasionally things would happen when ever someone was mean to me. Every time something strange happened I was punished by being locked up in a small space without food for hours. Sometimes even more then a day. Then something really bizarre happened about month before I found out I was a wizard that made me start wondering.” Andrew said, looking a little nervous.

“What happened?” Dumbledore asked looking curious.

“It was a month before I turned 11. It was my cousin's 11thbirthday. They wanted to take him and one of his friends to the zoo. They never let me have any fun so they hired a babysitter a few days earlier but they got sick on my cousin's birthday so they reluctantly took me to the zoo with them. I'm not sure if I should continue. Some people react badly when I tell them.” Andrew said looking more nervous.

“Please do. I won't judge you.” Dumbledore said calmly.

“Okay. We went into the reptile house...” Andrew continued. Dumbledore looked rather intrigued. “My cousin started pounding on the glass for a snake's cage trying to get it to move as that it was asleep...”

Dumbledore starting looking more intrigued.

“He finally gave up and went to go look at something that looked more alive. I stayed behind and looked at the snake. It then woke up and started talking to me and I was able to, well, have a conversation with it. It told me it never been to Brazil...”

Dumbledore looked rather shocked as Andrew said that.

'A parslemouth... That's extremely rare. Only Voldemort and his wizard family were the only known parslemouths. Could Andrew be related to them?' Remus thought.

“My cousin saw me talking to the Snake and well, noticing the snake was now more awake and pushed me aside. The glass to the cage disappeared and the snake escaped. As it left it told me thanks and hinted it was going to try and get to Brazil.” Andrew finished.

“That's interesting...” Dumbledore said.

“When I found out I was a wizard, I thought being able to talk to snakes was normal. I learned other wise during a dueling club meeting in my second year of school when one of my classmates thought it would be fun to conjure a snake and the teacher, in an attempt to banish it from the classroom, got it mad and it tried to attach another one of my classmates. I told it to leave him alone and everyone just stared at me. For most of the rest of the school year, everyone was convinced I was a dark and dangerous wizard and stayed away from me. Well there were a few exceptions but it was nearly all of the school.” Andrew said.

“I understand, being a parslemouth is often frowned upon as that nearly every parslemouth was into the dark arts. Being able to speak parsletounge without the aid of spells is an ability just like being a metamorphamagus. Its what you do with the ability that makes it good or bad, something which most people forget. Anyways, please continue with you story of how you found out about Harry.”Dumbledore said.

“Well, when I found out I was a wizard, I found out my dad, Christopher, was one as well so I decided to research him. It took me years but Ieventually found a reference to him traveling to Australia from the UK. I decided to search the archives from the British ministry and found out he was the heir to the Potter family. I decided to head over here from my home in Australia last week and see what Iinherited. While at Gringott's I found out I was related to Harry and they recommended that I adopt him since he had no one anchoring his magic so I did. That's why he called me dad earlier. I told him he call me Andrew if he wanted to but he wants to call me dad since he wants to be like other kids and have someone around he can call dad.”Andrew said looking at little embarrassed at the end.

The memory ended there and Remus found himself standing in front of the Dumbledore's Pensieve. Remus was shocked that Andrew actually adopted Harry. Andrew was barely old enough to help ground Harry's accidental magic. It was dangerous for witch and wizards to have kids at a young age as the bond they have with the child could destabilize their magic core. Even when a person was barely old enough, there was still the chance for some problems. But that was beside the point. A young uneducated teenager was legally the father of his friend's child. He would personally try to have it overturned but it would be a lost cause unless Andrew was either a criminal or horribly incompetent.

“Remember that he claimed he was from Australia?” Dumbledore asked Remus.

“Yes.”Remus replied.

“There some holes in his story. He never told me what school he went to so Iassumed it was the Mallworth Academy being that is in Australia. After he left, I decided to contact that school for his transcript and records. The headmaster there said they never had a student named Andrew Potter. The Australian Ministry is strict about what school the kids in their jurisdiction go to. They only allow them to go to one of three schools: Mallworth Academy, The Salem Witchcraft Institute in America, and Hogwarts. There's no student here at Hogwarts by the name of Andrew Potter so that left the Salem Witchcraft Institute. I contacted them and they said the same thing as the Mallworth Academy. Also, when when James Potter died, Gringott's would have sent him a letter.” Dumbledore explained rather sternly.

“Perhaps his relatives hid it from his to prevent him from being a wizard and that he was home schooled.” Remus replied thinking of some explanation that Dumbledore may not have considered.

“I thought about that but I checked the Ministry's records of witches and wizards entering our country for an Andrew Potter. According to their records no Potter that was a wizard has ever entered our country since Christopher Potter entered from Brazil a couple days before his death in 1975. I was able to confirm that Christopher Potter did go to Australia from here when he went missing but the Australian Ministry doesn't keep records like how our Ministry does so when Christopher Potter left Australia and where he went is amystery. Later on in the meeting, Andrew said his Muggle relatives died recently. I find it rather convenient that there are no relatives to confirm his story. But what really is interesting is that Andrew indeed has one of the Potter family rings.” Dumbledore added.

“How can you be sure?” Remus asked.

“The Ministry records list him as the head of the Potter family and he has laid claim to the seats in the Wizengamont the Potter family controls plus one other: Slytherin. Only Gringott's would authorize him getting control of those seats and give him a Potter family ring.”Dumbledore explained.

“Are you sure it is the Potter family ring?” Remus asked unsure of what Dumbledore said.

“Positive. I tried using Legilimency on him. When I try to do that on a person who knows Occlumency, I can partially go into their mind before being shoved out by their shield. When I tried it on Andrew Potter, Icouldn't get anywhere. I would best describe what I experienced as hitting a brick wall at a casual walking speed before I even touched his mind. The only other people I known who I experienced that with were people who wearing Potter family rings.” Dumbledore explained looking rather puzzled.

“That is usual. James said the rings could only be assigned by the head of the Potter family except for the ring that the head of the family wears. That one would only accept the oldest person who was born into the Potter family or a person named by its previous wearer. If Andrew Potter isn't who he claims to be, I don't see how it would accept him.” Remus replied remembering the day he had to server as awitness to the signing James and Lily's wills. No where in the will did it appoint someone other then Harry as head of the Potter family.

“Exactly. Either Andrew Potter is skilled at making sure that there is no records of him prior to him claiming Potter family headship, or we are dealing with an impostor who is able to fool the most reliable tests of a person's identity. If it wasn't for Madam Pomphrey giving Harry a clean bill of health aside from the fact Harry is showing signs of years of undernourishment, Fawkes sensing some kind of loyalty to the Order in him, and the fact that he claimed the Slytherin seat in the Wizengamont I would say he is Voldemort in disguise due to some things he said in the part of the meeting I showed you.” Dumbledore said thinking.

“Voldemort could claim Slytherin's seat?” Remus asked curious.

“Yes. I believed Voldemort was Slytherin's last remaining descendant. Now, I'm not sure... His mother was from the Gaunt family. The Gaunts prided themselves on being descendants of Salazar Slytherin though they never laid claim to the Slytherin seat in the Wizengamont out of protest of our government, what ever form it took at the time, being too pro-Muggle. They were the only old pure-blood family that existed when the Wizengamont was created that never requested a seat and didn't want to have anything to do with our government. I believe Voldemort would have claimed it when he was younger but it would have implicated him in a series of attacks on students here at Hogwarts in the 1942-1943 school year, one of which resulted in a student's death. I know he was responsible but I couldn't prove it to anyone. As a result, Hagrid took the blame but I was able to convince the Minstry the evidence against Hagrid was circumstantial and have him only be sentenced to parole on good behavior. At least now that aconnection between Voldemort and Tom Riddle has been published by asource of information people tend to believe, I expect Hagrid's name will be cleared, especially when it was the young Voldemort who accused Hagrid in the first place. If its not, I'll bring it up in the next meeting of the Wizengamont.” Dumbledore answered.

“It better.” Remus said. He knew Hagrid was expelled in his third year but knew why. Now he knew and found the thought that Hagrid had lived most of his life being accused of something horrible and not being able to prove his innocence upsetting.

“Anyways, Remus, when you go to the Potter Manor when I give the word, please be careful. We are dealing with an unknown.” Dumbledore said looking rather unsure.

“I will.” Remus replied.

Chapter Notes

I can't believe I finally wrote Andrew meeting with Dumbledore. I've been wanting to write that scene for a while now. For the record, Dumbledore, checked the travel logs/records after he contacted those two schools. He is unsure about Andrew. He has credible evidence that says Andrew is trustworthy and credible evidence that says otherwise. Him and Remus are going to try and find out as much as they can about Andrew. Both of them haven't considered the possibility that Andrew is a time traveler. They will eventually learn the truth and help him out in changing history. I won't say how and leave that up to your imagination.

I've also been asked by some people what the pairings are going to be. Well, I will at this point Harry will be paired with Ginny. Ialready decided who to pair Andrew with. I won't say who but I will say she is an established character that was about his age in 1988. That's probably saying to much as that I'm sure those out there who have memorized Harry Potter cannon will figure it out.

Anyways, reviews!
Sign up to rate and review this story