Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Slayer, The Avatar And The Guardian Of Light

CH97 - Gryffindors Cheerleaders

by GuardianOfLight 1 review

The First Quidditch Match

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Drama,Humor - Characters: Draco,Dumbledore,Fleur,Harry,Professor McGonagall - Warnings: [!] [V] [?] - Published: 2008-09-07 - Updated: 2008-09-07 - 3389 words

2Ambiance
Chapter 97 - Gryffindor's Cheerleaders

Dimension: 1375 - Earth
Date: 13th October 2001 AD
Country: Britain - Scotland
Location: Hogwarts - Quidditch Pitch
Time: Early Afternoon


"Good morning ladies and gentlemen and welcome to this year's first Quidditch Match!!! My name is NOT Lee Jordan, I am in fact Terry Boot and I will be your commentator during this, the first match of the year between Slytherin and Gryffindor!!"

It was a bright, sunny and quite breezy afternoon and therefore a bad day for Quidditch. Any Quidditch player knows that the best conditions are a light covering of clouds and no wind, sun was always bad as it meant that there was always one direction that you could barely see in, which today, as they were starting just after lunch was almost directly up. The day was not going to be easy for the teams.

"On my left emerging from the changing rooms on my left is the Slytherin team!!"

Cheers erupted from the green and silver sections of the stands.

"Captain of the team this year is Montague and his fellow Chasers Nott and the sultry Blaise Zabini, the only female Slytherin Quidditch Player for thirty years, following them are Beaters Crabbe and Goyle, heaven knows how they got on the team,"

"Boot!!" McGonagall's voice sounded around the stadium.

"Keeper Alphard Mulciber," he continued, not stopping his introductions while the crowd laughed "The youngest member of the team and lastly bringing up the rear Seeker Draco Malfoy!!"
________________________________________________________________________

"Explain to me again how this game works?"

"For god sake Buffy," sighed Giles cleaning his glasses "It's been explained three times."

"Once during that practice that you watched." Added Xander.

"Yeah," she shrugged "But there were all those hunky young men flying about at the time."

"They did look very hot in those uniforms." Agreed Dawn.

"Probably look better out of them." Anya continued.

"Either that or covered in warts and boils," deadpanned Spike from the shaded area at the back of their box before glancing at the demon in the front row "Or rabbit tattoos."

"Hey!!" exclaimed Anya, throwing one of her sweets at him "Don't say things like that." before pausing for a moment and saying "Can I have that one back." much to the amusement of the others.

The Scoobies were sharing their box with Fleur, Colette, Adam and Dumbledore who had left the main teachers box were McGonagall, their new commentator and the rest of the Professor's attending resided in favour of the Scoobies box saying that they were more amusing to be around.

Most of the group were relatively normal for Quidditch spectators; Dumbledore, Adam, Giles, Spike and the Veela were sitting watching events unfold, none bearing either teams insignia or colours in favour of supporting both and not showing favouritism.

The rest of the box however was another matter; Xander was the next most normal, sitting in one corner of the box, the main distinguishing feature being the red and gold top hat he had traded with one of the students (who collected old and foreign money and was glad to get his hands on some American Muggle currency), most of the time the hat was just a completely mad thing to wear except for when completely at random it roared like a lion, scaring the life out of many of those nearby.

Anya was dressed from head to foot in red and gold; jeans, shirt, coat, gloves, hat and shoes; she had got some students to charm them in exchange for showing them her demon face. But if that wasn't bad enough in front of her stood a meter tall bag of Wizarding sweats courtesy of the Weasley twins (normal Wizard sweets not their trick ones) for the entire Scooby gang except only Anya seemed brave enough to take a second after trying their first every flavour bean, as such most were waiting for the bag to empty a bit so they could try the next level; chocolate frogs.

The rest of the Scoobies comprising off Buffy, Anne, Willow, Tara and Dawn were all carrying pompoms and the three Summers women had gone so far as to wear Gryffindor coloured Cheerleading outfits much to the amusement and exasperation of the others.

"AND ON MY RIGHT," continued the commentary "WE HAVE THE HOLDERS OF THE QUIDDITCH CUP, THE GRYFFINDOR TEAM!!"

"Does he have to shout so loud!!" asked Willow covering her ears.

"There are localised sound dampening charms around the teacher's box," explained Dumbledore drawing his wand and casting a spell so that the commentary got quieter "I will have to get them added to the boxes on either side; Mr Boot is a bit louder than his predecessor."

"Leading them out the new Captain and Keeper of Gryffindor Team; Ron Weasley, following are Chasers Demelza Robins, Andrew Kirke and Ginny Weasley last years temporary Seeker, behind them are the new Beaters Jimmy Peakes and Ritchie Coote and last but certainly by no means least, the oldest serving member of the team, Gryffindor's Seeker, Harry Potter!!"

All the Cheer Squad stood and applauded with the rest of the non-green and silver three quarters of the stands as the red team flew past them in a ‘V' formation, down in the student boxes several groups could be seen dressed as cheerleaders, having seen the Summers girls do it they found that they liked the idea, and the boys near them were not exactly complaining either.

"I still think I need another explanation." Sighed Buffy.

"It's too late," replied Xander "They are going to be starting in less than a minute."

"This is almost a rookie match between these two teams!!" the commentary continued "Other than Potter no member of the Gryffindor team has been in the position they are in now for more than a year and several team members Robins, Peakes, Coote and Ginny Weasley are all brand new to their positions, but with Ron Weasley and Potter on their side it should make for an interesting first outing!! Slytherin are similarly green with only Malfoy and Montague being on the team for any length of time!!"

He paused for breath.

"The teams brooms are similarly well balanced all the Slytherin team have the impressive Nimbus 2001's that were a gift to the team from their Seekers father, whereas the Gryffindor team for the most part have older brooms but amongst them are three that stand out from the crowd!! Ron Weasley has recently purchased a Nimbus 2000, not as fast as the successor that the opposing team are using but still a very good broom, Ginny Weasley is using Harry Potter's Firebolt, far faster than either of the Nimbus models and the current choice of mount for many professional teams and lastly but most certainly not least Harry Potter is riding, and I have checked this, it is not a wind up, is riding a brand new Dragon Broom."

"Wow!!" exclaimed Xander "That must have cost him a bit."

"I take it that broom is supposed to be good then?" asked Giles.

"It's the newest broom on the market," explained Dumbledore "Most of the Professional teams don't even use them yet."

"It was a gift from my parents." Explained Fleur.

"Both teams have been training hard and now its time to see how they fare!! Can Gryffindor hold onto the cup for another year or is Slytherin going to knock them out in their first game!! The Captains are shaking hands, and almost breaking them knowing Montague!!"

"Boot!!"

"The Bludgers and the Golden Snitch are away!! Madam Hooch prepares to throw the Quaffle, and the game begins!!"
________________________________________________________________________

As the players threw themselves into the air Harry flew straight passed the pack, his newly revealed Dragon rocketing up to the level of the top boxes with Draco's slower Nimbus 2001 right behind, looking down Harry could already see Ginny (Quaffle in hand) race across the pitch on his Firebolt, outstripping and outmanoeuvring every other player, there was no point in just leaving his old broom in his room when it was the second fastest broom on the pitch, less than ten seconds into the game Ginny launched the Quaffle straight past the Slytherin Keeper.

"Ten points to Gryffindor and an excellent start for Ginny Weasley!!"

"Hey, Potter." Called Draco.

"Yes Malfoy." He replied, not stopping his eyes wandering over the pitch.

"Good luck."

Harry was so shocked by the statement that he stopped dead in the air and stared at his opponent, he wasn't joking, he had actually meant that.

"You too Mal...."

He was cut off as a badly aimed Bludger hurtled by him to gasps from the crowd.

"Oh!! A near miss for Potter, just as well Crabbe can't aim!!"

Recommencing his scans of the pitch Harry looked over at his opponent.

"It that was meant to be a distraction Malfoy then it was a good one."

"It wasn't, just good timing....or bad timing depending on your point of view, besides do you really think Ginny would let me get away with it if it was." Draco laughed "They can't aim anyway and by the look of it yours aren't much better."

"Unfortunately true." Harry nodded "But forgetting girlfriends and the fact that you've switched sides...."

"During the game...." Draco continued.

"We are still...."

"Worst enemies." Draco finished

"Hell yes." Harry grinned back before shooting of across the pitch, Draco right on his tail.

"Nott has the Quaffle!! Montague, Nott, Montague. Come on guys this isn't a game of catch!! HA!! That will teach them, Ginny Weasley flew straight between the pair and caught the Quaffle out of the air!!"

Glancing down at the game Harry could see Ginny flying down the pitch before throwing the Quaffle to Demelza as Montague and Nott closed in on either side of her, he saw her grin as both went to ram her small form as she dived out of the way sending them crashing into each other followed by a rather rough landing.

"Ooo!! That ones going to hurt!! Well done Gin....HEY Crabbe!! What do you think you are doing, that was a blatant foul!!"

Locating the fat Slytherin, Harry could see a smug look on his face while he rested his Beaters bat on his shoulder; Demelza was lying on the ground cradling her left arm.

Unfortunately Madam Hooch did not see the foul itself so the game continued with Gryffindor one Chaser down, and even more unfortunately Montague and Nott's little bump did not knock them out of the game.

Letting out a growl Harry turned towards the other Seeker.

"Excuse me for a moment Draco; I need to get some revenge on that lump of lard down there."

"Be my quest." He replied smiling "More time that you are not looking for the Snitch is more time for me to catch it."

Working out his move, Harry flew down alongside one of their new Beater's.
________________________________________________________________________

"What's he up to?" asked Willow, leaning over the front of the box to see what Harry was doing.

He flew over to one Gryffindor Beater then over to the other before pulling back and hovering slap bang in the middle of the pitch.

"Is he trying to get knocked out?" asked Xander.

"Don't underestimate my Arry." Smiled Fleur, seeing exactly what Harry was planning in his mind "I think he will surprise you."

"What is Potter up to!!" came the commentary "That's really not a good place to search for the Snitch!! He'll get....There you are Potter , told you you'd be target....Hang on, that Bludger came from one of his own Beaters!! What on earth is Peakes doing!!"
________________________________________________________________________

Harry grinned as his scheme started exactly as planned, the Bludger was on his tail and as long as he was careful it would continue to follow him.

What most people did not realise about Bludgers is that if they're after you and you stay relatively in front of them then they will continue to follow you until another target gets in the way, if nothing is in their sights they will head for the nearest player.

He took a long relatively low speed (for his broom) climb passed Draco's flight level and continued up to several times the height of the stadium and as far horizontally as he could without leaving them. Then is a nifty little move did the broom equivalent of a handbrake turn and levelling off.

He waited for the Bludger to get close, aiming for his stomach, when it was about five meters from him he leapt up and off his broom allowing the ball to pass between him and his mount.

Dropping back down onto it he turned his head as the Bludgers magic realised it no longer had a target ahead of it before locking back onto him as the nearest player.

Giving a grin he took off again, hurtling back towards the ground heading straight down before altering his course as he saw a further opportunity to strike back at the other team. Aiming for the Slytherin end of the pitch, he and the Bludger passed straight in front of the Slytherin Keeper making him almost fall of his broom in shock just as Gryffindor's other Chaser Andrew Kirke took aim and scored.

"Nice move Potter!! That levels the score at fifty points each!!"

But Harry wasn't finished yet.
________________________________________________________________________

Crabbe grinned inanely.

Stupid Potter was flying straight at him and Goyle was passing a Bludger towards him.

He could whack the Bludger straight at him and hit him, then the one behind would hit him and knock him out of the game.
________________________________________________________________________

Harry almost rolled his eyes at Crabbe's stupidity.

Anyone with half a brain cell would have been able to work out that; A. The fastest broom on the field which also happened to be one of the fastest if not the fastest in the world would easily be able to outpace a Hogwarts Bludger that was following it. B. That he was deliberately letting it follow him and C. That he wasn't so stupid as to not dodge when he was flying directly at some one.

With about ten meters to target both of Gryffindor's Beaters flew straight in front of the Slytherin completely throwing his concentration.

At the last second before collision with less than a meter to go Harry pulled back hard on his broom, shooting straight up and into a loop. Less than half a second later he heard a yell of fear followed by both Bludgers colliding with Crabbe at full speed making a loud crunching noise.

As he came back down to complete his loop Harry gave a satisfied smile at the groaning form of Crabbe with Madam Hooch and the Slytherin Captain arguing over him.

"Mr Montague, that was not a foul, none of Gryffindor's players touched Mr Crabbe, one of the two Bludgers was hit at Mr Potter by his own team mate and the other by Mr Crabbe's fellow Beater and other than Mr Potter getting rather close that move could not even validate a warning."

Dipping slightly lower at the bottom of his loop he passed close by and shrugged.

"Woops."

Receiving a death glare from Montague in the process.
________________________________________________________________________

"And I thought the hit on that girl looked painful." Winced Buffy.

"He's got to have several cracked ribs after that." Agreed Anne.

"It was a clever move too." Nodded Xander "It doesn't even count as a foul, unlike that lumps attack on that young girl."

"Very rarely do any teams other than Slytherin make fouls during matches." Added Dumbledore, a very slight hint of amusement in his voice "That move was completely legal."

"Hey," interrupted Dawn "It looks like Harry spotted something."
_______________________________________________________________________

As he completed his loop Harry aimed back up towards Draco so as to continue looking for the Snitch.

But just as he started to return to height he spotted a glint of gold behind Draco.

It was nigh on impossible to see from where he was as the sun was almost directly overhead.

Resisting the urge to launch himself at it he forced himself to continue his fast accent without going to full speed, if he started after it now then Draco would notice, look around and get to it first, he had to be level with him before starting after the Snitch.

Continuing up he still rather quickly but not overly so reached Draco's level.

"Nice Potter, I've got...."

He never got the chance to finish as Harry instead of stopping launched his broom into top speed.

He heard Draco swear behind him, then the sound of his broom accelerating.

The Snitch dodged to the left so that it was positioned right in from of the sun.

Both Seekers skidded to a stop in mid air; they were hovering several hundred meters above the pitch, the other players looking no bigger than insects.

"Bloody hell!!" swore Draco from just below him "Where'd it go?"

"I haven't got the foggiest." He replied "Or perhaps sunniest would be a more appropriate term." turning and beginning to drop back down he had gone five feet when he spotted the ball in question and took off, this time Draco was ready and was right beside him, though Harry's Dragon soon began to pull away.

The snitch was flying down towards the pitch and the pair were so focused on it that they did not see the Bludgers until it was almost too late.

They did not know which team had knocked them their way but both had less than a second too react.

Both pulled up hard, the Bludger that hurtled through the space they had just been occupying after colliding with the Snitch sending it swirling off to the side before it regained control of itself and dived down, but that was the least of Harry's troubles as dodging the first Bludger took him straight into the path of the second.

The Bludger smashed hard into the tail of his broom sending him and his broom into a vertical spin.

The force was so great he lost his grip on his broom, sending him falling through the air, during his spin he caught sight of his broom responding to the magic's programmed into it as it began stabilising itself and hovering in the air exactly where he had fallen from it, now many meters away and getting more distant by the second.

He saw Draco who had recovered from his escape manoeuvre and was diving down after the snitch, not aware that Harry was in freefall behind him.

And then he saw the ground many hundred feet below him.

This was going to hurt.
________________________________________________________________________

AUTHORS NOTE 1: I had to do at least one Quidditch match in this story and I thought it was about time for another cliff hanger as well, feel free to shout at me.

AUTHORS NOTE 2: Also if you usually read this on the Harry Potter FanFic Archive I apologise but I have not been able to update it for a while as it keeps saying I do not have permission to see my own Account Information.

AUTHORS NOTE 3: I want to apologise again to those new readers who may not have seen my previous Authors Notes on the subject about the early chapters, specifically the chapters in Sunnydale ad I know they are bad I just could not find a good way of introducing the Scoobies to the non BTVS fans, introducing Adam and James and explaining their histories, and forming the appropriate links to the Scoobies and making the connections which brought the Scoobies across the Atlantic to reunite them with Anne and Adam.

AUTHORS NOTE 4: Lastly I am going to be a bit repetitive and point out again that I know a lot more people read these stories than actually review them, to those that do review them I appreciate every one and to those that don't all I need is a ‘great chapter' comment or even something more critical like a consistency error that you have spotted because I know I have made them (well done if you spotted them and if you have please point them out), so please just let me know that people are actually reading this story and aren't just hitting the link by accident. Thanks.
Sign up to rate and review this story