Categories > Original > Drama > The Stupid Boy and the Outsider

Chapter 20

by joy2008 0 reviews

The Stupid Boy and the Outsider Chapter 20

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-09-13 - Updated: 2008-09-14 - 1568 words - Complete

1Moving
Chapter 20

I've been walking around with mixed feelings. That talk I heard between Nick and Jackie did that. It actually sounded like she was defending me. Half of me felt sorry for her while the other half thought that she was just keeping up an act.

Jackie didn't come to school yesterday and that just got me more upset. Kristine had no problem taking advantage of Jackie not being here. She told everyone she knew about Jackie going to therapy and her mom committing suicide. This news spread like wildfire, but everyone mainly concentrated on how Kristine made it look like Jackie was a slut. It wasn't that hard. A having two guys defending her, a few assumptions, and there you have it.

Berna wasn't too happy about that and she didn't exactly help me with my crappy mood either.

"Jonas you f-ck!" Berna said on Tuesday. "Who gave you the right to tell Jackie's business about her counseling? And why are you letting your girlfriend talk sh!t about her? You know all that stuff about her having sex isn't true."

My bad mood caused me to get defensive immediately. "Well you know what Rada? I don't go with Jackie to her therapy sessions, so I wouldn't know. Kristine was right, once aweek is a little too much, don't you think?"

"You were always a jerk. Idon't know why Jackie started hanging out with you," she said with a disgusted look on her face. "And why'd you tell her that Jackie's mom committed suicide? You don't know that, no one knows what happened to her mom."

"I know. Jackie, herself, showed me the suicide letter."

"Well then, you better hope the saying 'like mother, like daughter' doesn't apply here because if I lose my best friend Kevin, Nick, and Frankie are gonna lose a brother." I could see the hate in her eyes mixed with some tears before she walked away.

--- --- --- ---

It was now Wednesday and Jackie wasn't here again. She's never been absent for two days in a row, ever. I was starting to get worried. Man, were my feelings all messed up. I'm not sure what to think anymore. Once I think I know what I should be feeling I switch and feel the complete opposite.

I was now in the hallway waiting for Kristine to finish her audition. It didn't take very long for her to finish, thank goodness. Every time I'm left alone long enough I start to think about Jackie and I didn't want that. I wanted some kind of distraction from thinking about her.

"I think she likes me," Kristine said when she walked out of the music room. I guess she was talking about the lady holding the auditions.

"Great," was all I said before heading to the cafe.

I guess it didn't sound like I meant it because Kristine stepped in front of me and said, "What's wrong with you now?"

"There's nothing wrong with me," I tried to sweep past her, but she just took a side step to block me.

"Is this about Jackie? I thought you two were fighting or something."

"I'm so tired of people talking about Jackie!" I yelled causing everyone to look at us.

"Okay find, just calm down,"she said looking a little embarrassed. "If that's not the problem, then what is?"

I took a deep breath and said, "There's a lot going on. I... can't be with you anymore. I can't handle everything and a girlfriend right now. I'll see you around." I left before she could say anything and just walked to my next class.

I guess that was pretty rude, but I really couldn't take it anymore. It was a last minute decision, but I realized I needed to break if off with Kristine.

I spent the rest of the day avoiding everyone, just thinking about how all this happened... even though that was what I was trying not to do for most of the day.

Why was I mad at Jackie in the first place? When did I start getting mad at her? I couldn't remember.

We've been home for a while now. I was just sitting on my bed thinking when Kevin started putting his books away. I guess he was done with his homework.

"You finished?" I asked.

"Yeah," Kevin said like it was none of my business. He was still mad at me.

"Nick!" I yelled. Kevin just rolled his eyes.

"Yeah?" Nick said when he walked into the room He was still mad at me too, but he didn't show it like Kevin did.

"You wrote a new song." It wasn't a question. He just nodded. "Let's practice," I said.

Nick looked over at Kevin who just nodded at him. Nick stepped out of the room to get his notebook and guitar. We practiced for about half an hour before heading down for dinner, then practicing some more.

"That was great," Nick said when we'd finally gotten through the whole song without any problems.

"Yeah," Kevin agreed. "I wonder who it's about," he said sarcastically.

"What? She's practically family and her balcony's right outside my window," Nick said.

There was an awkward silence. I guess they knew Jackie was still a soar subject with me.

"Have you seen Jackie?" I asked. Kevin and Nick just shook their head.

"She's just sick or something," Nick said.

"How do you know that?" Kevin asked.

"I heard mom and dad talking." There was a small pause before Nick added, "They also said we're not going on that school tour. They cancelled it."

Kevin and Nick looked at me. We all knew I was the reason for that.

"Sorry guys," I said.

"Hey bro, it's okay. There'll be another tour," Kevin said giving me a pat on the back. I just nodded my head knowing and hoping that was true.

"I broke up with Kristine today," I said out of nowhere.

"It's about time," Kevin said getting Nick and me to chuckle a little bit.

"Yeah, I guess she was pretty annoying."

Kevin and Nick looked at each other before turning to me and saying, "We know." Everything seemed to go back to normal after that.

I looked out the window to see the sun was about to set. I suddenly got inspired.

Without looking away from the window I asked, "You guys wanna climb a trellis?" Nick and Kevin looked at each other with a questioning look on their faces. "Come on, bring the guitars," I said before grabbing my tambourine and Nick's notebook and headed out the door.

"Are you sure this is safe?" Kevin asked while we were standing in the Mathews' backyard.

"Yeah, I do it all the time... or at least I used to," I said as an after thought.

"With guitars?" Nick asked holding up the guitar in his hand.

I stood there thinking for alittle bit. "Okay," I said getting an idea. "I'll climb up onto the balcony, Kevin can hang on the trellis, then Nick; you will hand the guitar to Kevin, who'll hand it to me." Oh yeah I can be pretty smart.

"Well, if that's what we're doing I think Nick should be on the balcony and you on the ground," Kevin said."No offense Joe, but I don't trust you with the guitars up there."

Nick laughed as he climbed up the trellis. It took us about five minutes to get up there quietly with the guitars. I looked through the sliding glass doors to see if Jackie was in there. I guess we should have got Nick to check first, just in case.

We got ourselves set and Nick counted us off.

She's an underdog
Lives next door to me
She's always heard you won't amount to anything
And it kills me to watch the agony beyond her eyes
Tragic the way people pass her by
But now I realize

That everyone sees her
But nobody knows her
She screams in her pillow
For a better tomorrow
She hates it
But she takes it
Watch out for that girl
One day she may change the world


I saw something moving inside before I saw Jackie walking towards the sliding glass doors.

She's original
Never trying to fit in
She's got a way to always go
Against the grain
Oh yea!
Someday they'll see how beautiful she really is
I know that last will be the first
The tables gonna turn cause


She stepped outside and sat down in a nearby chair and just watched us.

That everyone sees her
But nobody knows her
She screams in her pillow
For a better tomorrow
She hates it
But she fakes it
Watch out for that girl
One day she may change the world

Maybe she'll be in a movie
Maybe she'll be in a song
Better pay her some attention
Before she's gone

She's an underdog
Yea
She means the world to me
Yea

Everyone sees her
But nobody knows her
She screams in her pillow
For a better tomorrow
She hates it
But she makes it
Watch out for that girl
One day she may change the world

Everyone sees her
But nobody knows her
She screams in her pillow
For a better tomorrow
She hates it
But she makes it
Watch out for that girl
One day she may change the world
Sign up to rate and review this story