Categories > Original > Drama > The Stupid Boy and the Outsider

Chapter 21

by joy2008 0 reviews

The Stupid Boy and the Outsider Chatper 21

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-09-14 - Updated: 2008-09-15 - 1558 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 21

I spent most of Wednesday bored and alone. I got so bored I actually baked a cake. I'm a fairly good cook but I'm no baker. After my little adventure in baking world I still had most of my day open. With so much time on my hands I actually did my homework, practiced for my audition tomorrow, and then re-read one of my favorite books, Rose Madder. I must be messed up if this is one of my favorites.

I was in my room now, full from dinner, and just wanting to sit at my desk to continue reading my book. Iwas at the part about the tennis racket when I heard some music coming from outside. I automatically assumed that it was just the guys practicing next door. It took me a few seconds to realize the music sounded closer than usual.

I got up and saw some movement out on my balcony. When I got to my sliding glass doors I saw the three oldest Jonas boys playing a song.

I sat out there amazed at their talent. I've always known they were great, but I never actually sat down and really listened.

"Did you like it?" Nick asked when they were done.

"It was great. You guys are amazing," I answered.

"Three guesses who it's about," Kevin said.

"Berna?" I asked tilting my head to the side. Kevin rolled his eyes at my sarcasm. "Wait. Don't tell me, Istill have two more guesses. Maya?" I asked keeping up my charade. "It's not my mom is it?"

"It's you," Nick finally said laughing at me.

"Aww... thank you," I said giving Nick a hug and kissing the top of his head. "You guys really were great," I repeated giving Kevin a hug too. I turned to Joe and didn't really know what to do.

Kevin must have sensed what Iwas feeling. "Maybe we should go home Nick," he said pointing toward the backyard before correcting himself and pointed toward my room. I can't believe Joe got them to climb the trellis.

"No, you guys should stay," I told them. "There's cake in the kitchen."

"Sweet," Nick said heading in the house with Kevin right behind him.

Joe and I were stuck in an awkward silence for a minute.

"I broke up with Kristine today," he said all of a sudden, his hands buried deep in his pockets, rocking on the balls of his feet.

"Is she the reason you were acting like such a jerk?" I asked.

Joe stopped rocking and said, "No, that was all me. I'm really sorry Jackie. I shouldn't have let her say those things to you and start all those rumors about you sleeping with your... counselor." That little word, counselor, made me smile.

I pulled on his shirt sleeve, letting it snap back into place and motioned toward the door. "Let's go eat some cake," I said.

He pulled me in for a hug before we headed inside the house.

"I really am sorry," Joe said while we walked in the hallway. "Maybe if I didn't tell her about your therapy sessions... I mean counseling and your mom's suicide letter..."

"Wait," I interrupted and stopped him right outside the kitchen door. "Did you say suicide letter?"

"Yeah, you know the letter from your mom you showed me."

I couldn't help but laugh in his face. It took me a while to compose myself enough to say, "Joe! That wasn't a suicide letter. My mom was sick. I guess she knew she wasn't gonna make it or something, so one night while she was in the hospital she wrote me a letter," I explained. I let out a little chuckle and said, "You thought this the whole time?"

Joe just shrugged. "It sounded like a suicide letter." I just laughed some more before we walked into the kitchen.

--- --- --- ---

The next day I woke up a little late.

"Jackie you ready for school?" I heard dad's voice come through my door.

"No, I just got up," I said while looking for something to wear. "Can you tell Pastor Jonas that they can go on without me? I'll just take my bike or something."

"Don't worry I'll take you, just hurry so you won't be late."

I rushed to get ready, but it still took me the normal amount of time I usually do.

Right when I got to school the bell rang. I had five minutes to get to homeroom before I was locked out and had to head to the office for detention.

When I walked into class JD was sitting in my normal seat in the last row, next to Berna. They looked alittle shocked to see me. Since there were no other seats near them I sat in the front next to the window.

Throughout the day I could feel everyone starting at me. I could definitely hear them talk about me, but Itried to ignore it all.

I decided to eat during mid-morning since my auditions were during lunch today. When I got to the cafeteria I saw JD and Berna sitting alone and having what looked like a heated conversation. They were sitting really close together, whispering. I really hope they weren't talking about me. Now I felt weird and decided to sit at an empty table.

After a few minutes I heard someone clear their throat. I looked up to see Berna standing there.

"Hey," she said.

"Hey," I said back.

"Why are you sitting over here?" She asked looking around the still empty table.

"I didn't want to interrupt your conversation with JD."

"We were just talking. There was nothing to interrupt. I mean, it's not like we're hiding something from you or anything."

I raised my brow at her and she gave me a big smile in response. I just shrugged and walked with her over to our usual table. Joe and Jerby were there now.

"Hey," the guys said together.

"Hey guys."

"Are you really crazy?" Jerby asked. Sometimes I think Joe and Jerby were twins separated at birth or something.

"She's not crazy," Joe answered for me. "None of the things Kristine said is true. She didn't have sex with anyone and she goes to a counselor not a therapist."

"What's the difference?"

"Only crazy people go to therapists. Normal people go to counselors, duh." It's almost like the blind leading the blind, but I guess Joe was correct... kind of.

"Anyway," I said wanting to change the subject. "Did you hear about Principal Miller's watch?" They all gave me confused looks. "You know, someone stole his pocket watch right out of his office? It's been in his family for years, it's like worth millions, and he's really pissed about it being stolen."

"Where'd you hear this?" JD asked me.

"On the morning bulletin."

"I really should watch it one day," Jerby said.

"Whatever, that's not important to us," Berna said. "Isn't your audition today?"

I groaned before saying, "Yes and I'm kinda nervous."

"I'm sure you'll do great,"Berna said.

Just then the bell rang and everyone wished me luck before heading to class.

The audition was pretty uneventful. It took all of five minutes during lunch, maybe even less. I went in and introduced myself to Ms. Hetrick. I then proceeded to sing my song.

"Thank you Jackie. The list of contestants will be posted by tomorrow morning," she said when I was done, and that was it.

"Do you think you're gonna make it?" Maya asked. We were now hanging out with Joe, Nick, and Frankie in Nick's room.

Honestly I wanted to tell her no, but then what's the point in trying when you think you're gonna fail?

Before I could say anything Joe started to semi-lecture me. "You gotta be confident Jackie. If you're not you automatically lose."

"Joe knows all about being really confident," Nick said.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I think he just called you conceited," I answered Joe's question.

Joe pounced on Nick and they got into a little play fight. It didn't take long for Frankie to join in.

"Boys," I said to Maya rolling my eyes. She just laughed.

She picked something up from Frankie's toy box and said, "Hey guys, I think Frankie's been playing with your dad's watch.

"What watch?" Joe asked. They stopped fighting and he pulled Frankie to sit on his lap.

Nick walked over to Maya to look at the watch. "This isn't dads," he said turning it over in his hand. "It says 'Miller' on it."

"Oh my gosh," was the first thing to come out of my mouth.

Author's Note: I've been updating so fast because I've had most of the fic written before I even posted the first chapter. Well, a couple weeks ago chapters 20-30 got deleted. I was able to rewrite the last chapter and this chapter before I had to post it, but I've been slowing down on the writing since school started so I think updating might slow down after a couple days. Just FYI... but I am still writing!

Also I wanted to know if you guys get emails when I respond to your reviews? Or know that I do respond to some reviews? I just wanna know. Haha Thanks for reading! ^_^
Sign up to rate and review this story