Categories > Games > Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney > Bittersweet Reunion

Chapter 5

by Syrus 0 reviews

Anka finds out the truth about Phoenix's relationship with Miles.

Category: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2008-09-19 - Updated: 2008-09-20 - 1671 words

1Moving
Chapter 5

During Maya’s and his stay at his parent’s house, Phoenix decided to take Maya to the university his mother taught at and show her around.

They do have some nice architecture there that I’m sure she’d like to see, especially the waterfall fountain, Phoenix thought, but I’ll probably have to remind her not to get in the water though.

Phoenix’s thoughts made him laugh to himself as he buttoned the shirt he was wearing to go out. Maya came in the room and heard Phoenix laughing.

“Hey, what’s so funny?” Maya asked curiously.

Phoenix kept grinning and replied, “Nothing, nothing. You ready to go?”

“Yeah.” Maya said, smiling back at him.

They both walked out of the guest room and Maya walked out to her car.

Before joining Maya outside, Phoenix yelled into the house, “Mom, Dad, Anka, we’re leaving! We should be back around dinner time!”

“Bye, Phoenix! Have a good time!” he heard his mother reply.

With that, Phoenix and Maya were off. This was just the opportunity Anka was waiting for. She decided that the best way to get to the bottom of Phoenix’s relationship with Maya was to snoop around the guest room and look through Phoenix’s and Maya’s stuff.

I have to put my journalistic skills into action and get to the core of this story! …I mean…for Phoenix’s own good…Anka thought, ready to get cracking.

She first examined the dressers and tables in the room to see if Phoenix or Maya had left anything out. All she found was Edgeworth’s business card. She quickly looked it over and found Edgeworth’s picture and a lot of things in French on the front and something that appeared to be written by Edgeworth on the back, since it definitely was too neat to be Phoenix’s handwriting.

Nothing interesting…It was just like Phoenix said last night, Edgeworth just wrote the hotel and room he was staying in…Anka thought, disappointed her first find was a bust.

She turned the card over and looked at Edgeworth’s picture again.

So this is Miles Edgeworth now, huh? Well, at least it looks like Phoenix has good taste. Anka thought, appreciating her brother’s choice.

She carefully put the card back where she found it and then decided to look through Phoenix’s and Maya’s bags next. She opened the bag closest to her and quickly realized this was Maya’s bag. As she rifled through it a little, she found a small notebook.

This must be her diary. I don’t think I’ll find any useful information in here…but it never hurts to be thorough…Anka thought, her curiosity getting the better of her.

Anka skimmed through most of the diary, finding entries about Maya’s spirit training, her sister Mia, and Maya’s favorite Steel Samurai episodes. Near the end of the diary is when things started to get interesting. Anka noticed that Phoenix’s name came up more and more as she turned the pages, mentioning the detective work they did for trials, the time they hung out together, and things that Phoenix had said to her.

Dear Diary,

Nick is really something! After saving the Steel Samurai, he’s decided to defend that mean and grumpy prosecutor Mr. Edgeworth. No other lawyers wanted to take the case, but Nick insisted on helping Mr. Edgeworth, even if he didn’t want the help! I asked him if it was possible at all that Mr. Edgeworth did it, but Nick was absolutely certain, no matter what the evidence said. He really believes in Mr. Edgeworth, like he really believed in me. He really is a great guy.

As Anka turned the pages, she could see Maya slowly falling in love with her brother. She got to one of the most recent entries in the diary.

Dear Diary,

I love Nick, but I think he’s too much of a gentleman sometimes…I mean, after we went out last night, he just gave me a kiss? I wish he would have –

Anka quickly slammed the diary closed before she got an unpleasant mental picture of Phoenix and Maya in her mind.

Yes, I think I’ve read enough. All I’ve found out is that Maya is madly in love with Phoenix, which still leaves me at square one. Anka thought, deciding that she wasted enough time on curiosity.

She needed to get down to business before Maya and Phoenix came back. She returned Maya’s diary back to her bag and moved to the other bag in the room, hoping she’d find something in there that would unravel the mystery of why Phoenix proposed to Maya when he obviously loved Edgeworth. Soon she found a leather bound book at the very bottom of the bag that looked rather old. She opened it and found a name scrawled in a child’s handwriting on the first page.

Phoenix Wright

I didn’t even know Phoenix kept a journal! If I had known, I’d have tried to look for this years ago! Anka thought, betting there was a lot of good teasing material in here.

But she quickly put that thought aside. She had more pressing matters to attend to. She skipped the first half of the journal since most of that was only stuff about Phoenix, Larry, and Edgeworth when they were kids. Anka kept skimming the pages, the journal making it dead obvious that Phoenix was drawn to Edgeworth from the time Edgeworth stood up for him in that class trial, his feelings growing and changing as he got older.

She saw that Phoenix realized that what he felt for Edgeworth was love when he started law school. Soon she got up to Phoenix describing his first few cases and seeing Edgeworth in court. She was touched at the way that Phoenix believed so much in Edgeworth during his trial, gaining insight into her brother’s feelings for Edgeworth that she never had before.

Well, I guess I can see why Maya fell in love with Phoenix…if I were her, I probably would have too. Anka thought.

Turning a few more pages, she found an entry that appeared to be rather desperately written. Curious, she took a better look.

Yes…I love him. If there was ever a doubt in my mind before, it’s gone now. I had a feeling Miles would leave after the truth of the SL-9 incident had been brought out, but I was hoping beyond hope, that maybe, just maybe, he would stay. It really had been too much to hope…before I knew it, he was gone. Completely gone. Not a word to anyone about where he was going or what he was doing…not even a good bye. In the two years he’s been gone, I’ve tried every way I could think of to locate him, but I got nothing. Maybe Miles just doesn’t want to be found. If he went through this much trouble to cover his tracks, I don’t think he’s coming back. God, I don’t think I’ll ever see him again. If he’s moved on with his life, I suppose I should move on with mine. But I know, no matter what, I will always love him.

Anka felt choked up as she read this journal entry, everything finally falling into place. She examined the entry one more time, realizing some of the ink was smudged in certain places, as if drops of a liquid had fallen on the page.

Oh God, was Phoenix crying when he wrote this? Anka thought sadly as she quickly wiped away the tears that had come to her eyes.

She quickly put the journal back in Phoenix’s bag.

Phoenix is only marrying Maya to ‘move on with his life’ and forget about Edgeworth! I have to stop this before it gets completely out of control! Anka thought urgently, trying desperately to come up with a plan.

Suddenly she knew what she would do. She didn’t know if this would help anything, but something had to be done. She checked her watch and quickly brought out her cell phone to make a call. Anka got nervous as the phone rang a few times, afraid that her friend wouldn’t pick up. Finally, after the fourth ring, they answered.

“Hello?” a female voice said.

“Hey, Julie, it’s Anne.” Anka said to a friend of hers from her journalism class.

“Hey, Anne, what’s up?” Julie asked.

“I need to ask you a huge favor.” Anka replied.

“Yeah?” Julie asked curiously, since Anka sounded desperate.

“I need you to drive me to the main city for a couple of hours.” Anka said.

“Oooo, getting some sort of scoop?” Julie said excitedly.

“It’s something that is far more important than that. I’ll explain it to you on the way.” Anka replied seriously.

“Alright, be there in a flash!” Julie said, hanging up the phone.

Anka waited until Julie was waiting for her outside to tell her parents she was leaving. She just told them that she was working on something to do with the newspaper and that she would be back for dinner.

“Do you have to work on the paper even during the weekend?” Bill asked in surprise.

Anka gave him a little smile and replied, “News waits for no one, dad. See you both later!”

“Alright, bye, honey!” Lisa said as Anka ran out the door.

As soon as Anka got into the car, Julie drove as fast as she could toward the city.

“So now would you tell me what this is really all about?” Julie asked, very curious about what Anka was up to.

“Yeah. I have a lot of explaining to do. But first of all, we’re going to the Gatewater hotel.” Anka replied.
Sign up to rate and review this story