Categories > Games > Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney > Bittersweet Reunion

Chapter 6

by Syrus 0 reviews

What will happen when Anka visits Edgeworth?

Category: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Published: 2010-07-17 - Updated: 2010-07-17 - 1731 words

0Unrated
Chapter 6

Edgeworth lay in Phoenix’s arms on that little couch in Phoenix’s apartment. The warmth he felt was unlike anything he’d ever known. It pervaded his heart, his body, and his soul. In this moment he felt so complete and so happy, things he hadn’t felt since he was a child.

“Miles…?” Phoenix whispered, softly brushing a hand through Edgeworth’s hair, making his scalp tingle pleasantly and a contented sigh escape his lips.

“Hmm…?” Edgeworth replied half consciously, his comfort causing him to almost drift off to sleep.

“It’s time for me to get married.” Phoenix said in an uncharacteristically harsh tone, unceremoniously shoving Edgeworth off of himself, and getting up from the couch.

Phoenix’s words cut into him like a knife and all he could do was look at Phoenix in shock, his heart aching from the sudden coldness of Phoenix’s behavior.

“Did you actually think that I’d just sit around waiting, putting my life and feelings on hold in the hope that you’d return one day?” Phoenix said, his voice mocking and condescending, “Thanks, but I think I’m better than that.”

In spite of himself, tears started rolling uncontrollably down Edgeworth’s cheeks.

“I…I…” Edgeworth tried saying between sobs, but no words would come.

“I wanted you to come to the wedding to see that I’ve moved on and that I don’t need you anymore.” Phoenix said with a cold finality that bore into Edgeworth’s soul.

*

Suddenly Edgeworth’s eyes snapped open. His face felt very damp and cold from what he quickly realized was sweat and tears. He wiped his face off and looked around himself, realizing that he’d nodded off while he was sitting in a chair in his hotel room since he was unable to sleep very well the night before. He put his face in his hands, trying to get a hold of himself.

It was just a dream…Edgeworth thought, feebly trying to comfort himself, his heart still feeling heavy from the dream.

He got up and decided to take a quick shower, hoping that would help him clear his head.

*

During the car ride to the hotel, Anka explained the situation between Phoenix and Edgeworth to Julie the best she could.

“…And that’s why I have to stop this wedding from happening! I can’t let it go on now that I know everything that I do!” Anka said.

Julie looked at her in disbelief.

“Wow…so the person we’re visiting in the Gatewater hotel is the person your brother really loves?” Julie said, the story that Anka had just told her seeming too fantastical to be real.

“I wanted to rush over here right away since Phoenix is supposed to be getting married in a week!” Anka replied as the Gatewater hotel came into view, “Alright. I’ll go in and you wait for me in the car — ”

“Hey! I want to meet him too!” Julie said, almost whining.

“Look, if we both go, Edgeworth may feel even more uncomfortable and then he won’t talk to us. I got that idea when I was reading about him in Phoenix’s journal. He’s a really touchy guy. I don’t want this trip to have been for nothing.” Anka explained reasonably.

“Oh, fine.” Julie reluctantly agreed, pouting.

“Okay, I’ll be back soon.” Anka said as she got out of Julie’s car and walked into the hotel.

Now to get to room 506! Anka thought, rushing as fast as she could.

*

Edgeworth had just gotten out of the shower and had finished dressing when he heard a knock on his door.

Thinking it must be the bellboy with the room service, Edgeworth said in a bored tone, “One moment.”

He opened the door, shocked to find a teenage girl with black hair and blue eyes that looked vaguely familiar instead. Anka just stared at him a moment, finding him even more attractive in person. Finally when he crossed his arms and gave her an impatient look, she realized he was waiting for her to say something.

“Uhh…you’re Mr. Edgeworth, right?” Anka asked nervously, finding Edgeworth to be quite an imposing presence.

“Yes, and you are?” Edgeworth asked, his tone demanding.

The embarrassed look Anka gave him in response made Edgeworth even more certain that he’d seen her somewhere before.

“Oh, my name is Anka…Anne if you like. I’m Phoenix Wright’s sister.” she said, looking at him nervously.

Edgeworth barely kept his mouth from dropping open in shock.

No wonder she looked so familiar…he thought, I never knew Phoenix had a sister.

“How do you know who I am, and how did you find me?” Edgeworth asked Anka suspiciously.

“Umm…well…” Anka said, not sure how to start explaining what she knew.

“Did Wright send you here?” Edgeworth asked in a tone that was meant to be disinterested, but Anka thought she detected the tiniest bit of hope.

“No, Phoenix doesn’t know I’m here. I found out where you were staying on that card you gave him. Umm…can I…?” Anka replied, glancing into the hotel room, not wanting to do all the talking outside.

Edgeworth narrowed his eyes at her for a moment, but then wordlessly stepped aside to let her in. She quickly took a seat in a chair and she waited for Edgeworth to close the door and do the same.

“I see that the disrespect for people’s privacy runs in the family.” Edgeworth said, sounding slightly annoyed.

Anka chose to ignore that comment and decided to just start talking, knowing that there was no easy way to lead into what she wanted to say.

“I think Phoenix is making a mistake. He doesn’t love Maya, so he shouldn’t be marrying her.” she said.

Edgeworth’s mind flashed back to the dream he just had, still so painfully vivid in his mind.

“Why is it any concern of mine?” Edgeworth replied bitterly.

Anka just gave him a look of absolute disbelief before she spoke again.

“Because Phoenix loves you.”

Anka’s simple words caused a tumult of conflicting emotions bubble up inside Edgeworth. He looked away from her with a pained expression on his face, wondering how exactly to react to what she said. Finally he spoke, but he could not bring himself to look at her.

“Perhaps…but it is just too late…” Edgeworth said, his voice cold.

“Too late? It’s not too late! I don’t think Phoenix even wants to marry her! You have to help me stop this wedding!” Anka said forcefully, surprised at how much Edgeworth didn’t want to cooperate.

“I will do nothing of the sort.” Edgeworth replied, finally looking at Anka with narrowed eyes.

“But…why?” Anka said, unable to understand why Edgeworth was putting up so much resistance to getting the person he loved.

“It was my mistake to leave three years ago, Miss Wright.” Edgeworth said, his voice dripping with scorn, “I deserve what happened. Now I simply have no right to — ”

Anka suddenly cut him off, angry that he was being so stubborn.

“What, and Phoenix also deserves this? Did he deserve to feel abandoned when you left? Does he deserve to marry someone that he doesn’t love because of your mistake?”

Edgeworth thought about his reply a moment before he said anything, his face clearly showing his conflicting feelings. But when he spoke, it was clear that his cold and rational side won out.

“Maybe he doesn’t, but does that Fey girl deserve to be left on her wedding day?” Edgeworth asked, his voice suddenly sounding very cool and detatched.

Anka’s eyes went wide at the mention of Maya.

I completely forgot that Maya is involved in this too…Anka thought sadly, She would be losing her fiance, who she loves. I…don’t know what to do…

“But…Mr. Edgeworth…” Anka said, trying to think of something, anything, that would change his mind.

“I’m sorry, Miss Wright, but I can’t help you.” Edgeworth said, his face cold and expressionless, making it clear that this conversation was over.

Anka looked at him a moment, sighed in disappointment, and slowly stood up.

“Thank you for your time, Mr. Edgeworth…” Anka said softly, not looking him in the eye.

With that, Anka left. Edgeworth waited until she had left the room to close the door behind her.

*

The unexpected visit from Phoenix’s sister coupled with the dream he just had left him at a loss to what exactly he should do.

There’s a lot of Wright in his sister…the same stubbornness, the same drive to do what they think is right…so naive, yet so endearing. Edgeworth thought, feeling melancholy.

Edgeworth realized that Anka would not have made the trip to the hotel unless she was absolutely certain about what she had said. Edgeworth also decided that Anka hadn’t just come here because she disliked Maya, due to her reaction when he brought Maya up in their conversation.

If this girl is anything like Wright, I know she wouldn’t do something to deliberately hurt another person, Edgeworth thought, analyzing the situation, but for her to ask me to stop the wedding was a bit too much…

Edgeworth quickly squashed any hope that the reason for Anka’s visit may have brought him, deciding that what she said proved further in his mind that he was unworthy of Phoenix.

Wright deserves someone who isn’t scared to show they love him, Edgeworth thought in disdain, not someone who unfortunately possesses the plethora of inadequacies that I do. Maya Fey will give him what I was too afraid to…No matter the circumstances that led up to this, perhaps it’s all for the best.

Edgeworth abruptly tried to push the thoughts of Phoenix and his wedding from his mind, concluding that it would help nothing.

I inadvertently chose my fate three years ago, and now I must face the consequences. he thought, feeling as though he had come to a rational conclusion.

But even he could not ignore the ache he felt in his heart for the one person he wanted, and most likely needed, but could not have.
Sign up to rate and review this story