Categories > Cartoons > Transformers > Breakdown

Secrecy

by Beregond5 0 reviews

Ratchet and Sunstreaker have a mech-to-mech talk.

Category: Transformers - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Drama,Sci-fi - Published: 2008-10-04 - Updated: 2008-10-04 - 2381 words - Complete

0Unrated
Sunstreaker was still on the chair, this time holding a datapad in his hands. He wasn't reading, though; it was impossible. All he could think about was Sideswipe, who was still curled on his side in recharge mode, and the words that the red Lamborghini said a couple of hours ago.

Just what was Sideswipe trying to tell him?

He didn't have the luxury to contemplate on matters for long. The sound of the call button cut into his train of thought.

"Sunstreaker, it's Ratchet. Open the door."

The yellow Lamborghini put the datapad away and complied. Ratchet was really on the doorstep, holding the medical kit in his hands.

"Hey, Ratchet," Sunstreaker said, beckoning the medic to come inside. "Sideswipe is recharging at the moment. Do you want me to wake him up?"

"No, it's fine," Ratchet replied, waving his hand dismissively. "If anything, that will make things easier for me."

"All right." Sunstreaker watched Ratchet sit on the side of the berth and help Sideswipe lie on his back with such gentility that the ailing mech didn't so much as twitch in discomfort. "I kept his temperature low, just like you told me."

"Good," Ratchet said. He opened Sideswipe's chest to listen to the ventilation system operating. "Is he aware of his surroundings when you talk to him?"

"It looks that way," Sunstreaker answered. "When I told Sideswipe about Bluestreak's visit, he understood about whom I was talking."

"Oh, Bluestreak was here?" Ratchet asked in mild interest before he placed a gauge close to an energy distributor. "Did he bring that energon on the table?"

Sunstreaker regarded Ratchet questioningly. "You noticed that?"

Ratchet chuckled and closed Sideswipe's chest. "I'm a medic, Sunstreaker; I'm supposed to be observant. It's how I spot any malfunctions and treat them."

Sunstreaker had to admit that it made sense. Ratchet always had a good eye on catching the slightest glitch in a mech's systems, no matter how small it was. Sunstreaker supposed that this was what made Ratchet so good at his job.

That was why he decided to confide in Ratchet what had been troubling him.

"Ratchet, can I ask you something?"

The medic cocked his head. "If you think I can answer it."

That was enough permission. Deciding that there was no turning back now, Sunstreaker went for the deep plunge.

"Sideswipe said something that I didn't understand."

"What?" Ratchet asked.

"He said that I was hiding my pain. Do you have any idea what he could mean by that?"

Ratchet scratched his chin thoughtfully. "I'm not sure. It could be his overheat talking."

"Oh."

But Ratchet was far from finished. "On the other hand, just because we can't understand it, it doesn't mean that Sideswipe is talking nonsense. Maybe he feels that there's something you aren't telling him?"

Sunstreaker blinked in puzzlement. "Why should Sideswipe feel that way?"

"Why, indeed," Ratchet said. "Can't you think of any reason at all?"

"None," Sunstreaker said at once. "I always tell him--"

No.

It was at thought that Sunstreaker froze, because it was then that a terrible realisation dawned on him.

Could Sideswipe be talking about... that?

But... how did he find out?

"I think I've just got my answer," Ratchet said, clearly seeing through the yellow Lamborghini's silence. "So what didn't you tell him?"

"Ratchet..." Sunstreaker asked nervously. "Did you or Windcharger tell Sideswipe about what happened at that steel factory two weeks ago?"

Ratchet's expression clouded at those words. "No." His gaze hardened, almost piercing Sunstreaker. "And, by the looks of it, you didn't either."

Sunstreaker bowed his head and said nothing. However, he knew that Ratchet guessed enough.

"Sunstreaker..." The medic's tone became quite dismayed now.

"It doesn't matter anymore," the yellow Lamborghini said, turning his back on Ratchet.

But Ratchet grabbed him by the arm and dragged him to the other side of the room.

"The Pit it does!" he hissed angrily. "Your brother has the right to know that he almost lost you that day!"

"He didn't lose me, Ratchet."

"Only because Windcharger happened to be with you! If he hadn't used his electromagnets--"

"Then Skywarp would have killed me. I know!"

--------------------

"Things seem to be pretty quiet, right, Windcharger?" Sunstreaker asked. He was driving in a relaxed manner, listening to some music on the radio.

"I hate to sound pessimistic, but it's [/too
quiet," Windcharger said. "The Decepticons aren't the type of mechs to remain idle for long."

"Heh, a small period of vacations never hurt anybody," Sunstreaker replied. "Primus knows we could use one."

"Hold on! I'm picking up a transmission," the minibot said at that moment, and he turned on his transmitter.

"Somebody, please, help!" a human's voice sounded, quite terrified. "Decepticons are attacking the steel factory and firing on us! Can you hear me?"

"Looks like vacation's over," Windcharger said wryly and opened his communication frequencies. "This is Autobot Windcharger. Please send the coordinates and we will arrive a.s.a.p., over."

"I'm sending them right now," the man said. "Please, hurry!"

"That's it," Sunstreaker declared. "I'm gonna extra-pummel whichever Decepticon decided to ruin a perfectly good day!"

"You and me both," Windcharger said. "Now let's step on it; the steel factory isn't far from here."

Sure enough, the two Autobots reached the factory in less than five minutes. And they were dismayed to see that the Decepticons were already wreaking havoc. Soundwave and his cassettes were driving the humans away, whereas Skywarp and Thundercracker were practically tearing the factory apart so that they could get their hands on the steel.

"I'll call for backup," Windcharger said, sending the red alert signal.

"It's them that are going to need it," Sunstreaker said. He transformed to his robot mode and directed his gun at the Decepticons. "All right, here's the deal! You either run along and never come back, or we kick your afts and you never come back! What's it gonna be?"

The only answer Sunstreaker got was heavy laserfire. Both the Lamborghini and the minibot took cover.

"Great! They always pick the hard way!" Sunstreaker said with a huff.

"They're Decepticons! What did you expect?" Windcharger pointed out as he started firing back. "What do you suppose they want the steel for?"

"Who cares? We have bigger issues here!" Sunstreaker said and fired Laserbeak on the wing before the robotic vulture managed to do any damage to them. "Soundwave is using his minions against us!"

"Not for long!" Windcharger said. "Cover me!"

"What are you going to do?" Sunstreaker asked, not really understanding.

"My magic," was all that the minibot said. He got out of the pile of rubble where he was hiding and stretched his arms. At the next moment, Ravage, Rumble and Frenzy got lifted in the air by a seemingly invisible force, and then got thrown at Soundwave. Soundwave hit the wall at the impact, only to collapse on the ground in an offline state along with the other three Decepticons.

Windcharger's magnetic power wasn't something to be underestimated.

Nevertheless, Skywarp and Thundercracker were still willing to fight. The blue Seeker started firing at Windcharger, who had taken cover once more in the meantime; but Skywarp teleported right behind Sunstreaker, and it was only Sunstreaker's quick reflexes that saved him. As soon as Skywarp materialised, the Lamborghini turned around and fired at his adversary.

Unfortunately, Skywarp was just as fast in his reaction. And, what was worse, as the Seeker ducked out of harm's way, he caught a couple of steel beams that he put into good use. He threw one to knock Sunstreaker's gun out of his hand and, before Sunstreaker even had the time to register what was going on, he lunged forward, ready to plunge the second beam straight through Sunstreaker's spark.

This time, all that Sunstreaker could do was watch, unable to believe what was happening. And he would have certainly died right then and there if it weren't for Windcharger using his electromagnetic force to push Skywarp away on time; a heroic act that Thundercracker took advantage of so as to finally hit his target.

It was in that moment, when it looked like the two Autobots had it, that backup finally arrived in the form of Ratchet. Wielding and firing two guns at the same time, the medic attacked the Seekers with such ferocity that the Decepticons had no choice but to retreat./]

-----------------

Sunstreaker rubbed his forehead, feeling his cranial circuits paining him more than he cared for now. "I just... can't tell Sideswipe that, Ratchet."

Ratchet's grip on Sunstreaker's arm only tightened. "If this is because of that stupid pride of yours, Primus help me--"

"It's not that," Sunstreaker said softly.

"Then what is it?" Ratchet asked.

Sunstreaker sighed. "Back when our creator died... I promised Sideswipe I'd never leave him." He locked his optics on the medic's, pleading Ratchet to understand. "If he realises that keeping that kind of promise can't be always in my hands, what will happen then? I don't want my brother afraid of losing me too."

Ratchet's anger slowly vanished, and the grip on Sunstreaker's arm was soon gone.

"I see," the medic said quietly; then shook his head. "Well, I suppose I can't force you to do what you don't want to. But," and at that he regarded Sunstreaker unwaveringly, "if you care to listen to my opinion, I'll tell you this: you could have gotten killed at that steel factory; your brother is currently suffering from a broken thermostat. And I won't even mention all those other times that I had to repair either one of you."

"So what is your point, Ratchet?" Sunstreaker asked in a tired manner.

"My point is: there will come a day that you two are going to be separated. Will you take each other for granted till then?"

Sunstreaker actually flinched, those words sending a chill to his very spark. He tried to speak and tell Ratchet that he was wrong, that things didn't have to end this way; that he and Sideswipe would always be together.

But he couldn't. He knew that Ratchet was right. And so, he just walked back at his brother's side and sat down on the chair. He almost didn't register the fact that both his hands clasped one of Sideswipe's, or that his shoulders slumped forward in defeat.

He certainly didn't hear the door hissing open when Ratchet walked out, leaving Sunstreaker alone with his thoughts.

--------------

Sunstreaker looked at the time reading on the computer screen. He was surprised to see that it had been almost three hours since he had that talk with Ratchet. Then again, the yellow Lamborghini had been too focused on taking care of Sideswipe to notice the passing of time.

Sideswipe jerked involuntarily, still lost in a fitful recharge cycle. That made Sunstreaker practically glare at his twin.

"It's not fair, you know," he said. "All these years I've done nothing but try not to have you worried about me. And yet, there you are, making me worried." He shook his head. "You're some piece of work."

But Sideswipe didn't answer - not verbally, at least. Murmuring incomprehensibly, he moved his hand as though he was trying to reach for Sunstreaker.

Sunstreaker understood what Sideswipe wanted. His twin used to make that same kind of request when they were sparklings, unwilling to separate from the other even for a second. And, though Sunstreaker felt too old for that sort of thing, he couldn't deny his brother's wish either.

So he didn't. At the next moment, he lay carefully on the berth right next to Sideswipe, wrapping his arms around his brother's crimson form. Drawn to Sunstreaker's cool chassis, Sideswipe hugged the yellow Lamborghini back.

"Easy, Sides," Sunstreaker said gently. "I'm not going anywhere."

Sideswipe didn't listen. He just settled his head close to the curve of Sunstreaker's neck and his grip tightened, like Sideswipe was afraid someone would take his brother away from him.

Sunstreaker sighed. Sideswipe wasn't supposed to be this weak, this vulnerable. He was supposed to be smiling and rubbing his hands mischievously at the prospect of a new prank. He was supposed to be watching Sunstreaker's back in battle. He was... they were meant to be sharing everything, good times and bad times alike. But it wasn't so.

And now, things had come down to this.

"Why didn't you tell me what was wrong?" Sunstreaker murmured before he could help it. "You know I'd try to help."

"I didn't want you sad," came the soft reply.

Sunstreaker blinked and looked at his brother's face. Sideswipe was really online, but his gaze was disturbingly unfocused.

"I'm sad now," Sunstreaker pointed out in a rueful tone.

"I know. You miss Head On... and our home."

At those words, Sunstreaker stared at his twin incredulously. "What makes you say that?"

Sideswipe buried himself deeper in his brother's embrace, and Sunstreaker felt the crimson shoulders shuddering. "I found your pictures in your drawer. I... I was bored, so I looked at them." The red Lamborghini's voice almost cracked pitiably with guilt. "I'm sorry, Sunny. I know I wasn't supposed to look, but I did. Please, don't be mad at me. Please?"

Sunstreaker didn't know what to say to that, truth be told. He wanted to be angry at Sideswipe. But he was also aware that that wouldn't help matters at all, especially in the condition his twin was. Besides all that, Sideswipe hadn't done any real harm. If anything, he reminded Sunstreaker that were more things that were kept secret between them.

At that moment, Ratchet's words rang more true than ever.

Will you take each other for granted?

Sunstreaker had only one answer to that. And that was what finally made him shush Sideswipe, squeezing him tenderly in comfort.

"It's fine, Sides; I'm not angry. Now rest; I'll be here when you wake up."

As though Sunstreaker's voice had some kind of magical effect on him, Sideswipe shut his optics once more. Moments later, he had relaxed and drifted again to his recharging cycle with a sigh of relief.

As for Sunstreaker, he had reached to an important decision.

The time of secrecy was over - he would make sure of that.

To Be Concluded...
Sign up to rate and review this story