Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Long Trip to the Forbidden Forest

Chapter Ten

by FireChildSlytherin5 0 reviews

The Marauders needs a guide though the Forbidden Forest for a month trip. No one knows the way. What would happen if they find out the only one who does is a Slytherin…but not only a Slytherin, b...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Horror,Humor - Characters: James,Lupin,Sirius,Snape - Warnings: [!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2008-10-17 - Updated: 2008-10-17 - 3143 words

1Insightful
Beta-ed Chapter! Thanks wingnutdawn! The chapter is so well edited. :)

I DO NOT OWN "Godfather Death by: Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm." Its a GREAT story. You have to read it.

If I was then I would be famous and maybe already dead. Skip the Italic story if you wish.
-

The Long Trip to the Forbidden Forest

-

Summary:
The Marauders needs a guide though the Forbidden Forest for a month trip. No one knows the way. What would happen if they find out the only one who does is a Slytherin…but not only a Slytherin, but Snape? What secrets will be relieved?

-

Chapter 10

-


Severus Snape was the most enigmatic person he ever met, Remus decided while watching the Slytherin stride through the forest knowing the trails as if he had been there before. Remus and his other three friends watched curiously as Snape touched every tree on the trail, looking behind bushes as they went. They wondered if Snape was looking for something or was he making sure he was on the right path?

James sniggered as Snape stopped suddenly, Aodh, who was constantly beside him stopped as well.

What was the dark youth doing? James and Sirius slightly shook their heads with bewilderment. Why was Snape acting like a muggle? What was he doing?

Remus walked past the group and crouched down beside Snape, who glanced sideways at him with one eyebrow raised. “Something wrong?” Remus asked him.

“I am not sure, yet.” Answered Snape. He glanced at him. “Can you smell that?”

“Smell what?” Sirius interrupted behind him.

“Be silent Black.” Hissed Snape, as he glared at the boy with a fiery look in his eyes. Black stepped back painfully, biting his lip as he did so. He did not wish to show weakness in front of his enemy.

Both Snape and Remus saw this. They glanced at each other. “Will we take a break now?” Remus asked him.

Snape nodded, the other boys dropped their gear and sat down thankfully to rest. Snape sat at the front of the group ignoring everyone. Remus sniffed the air. Something was near them, but he couldn’t make out it was. Now that he knew why Snape had been acting so oddly and had enquired if he had noticed the strange scent in the area. Now Remus also found himself sniffing the air again, as the smell wasn’t leaving.

What was it that left such a strange scent?

-

Severus Snape couldn’t shake the feeling that they were being watched by something from his mind. The smell was not disappearing. He was positive that it was still following them. He wondered if it was that terrible creature from before who was still following them, waiting for the right moment to kill them.

He glanced’ back at Lupin, who was quietly talking to his friends. He turned back to studying the trail.

Short time later, Severus felt a presence coming at him from behind. Swiftly he stood up; his right hand instantly going straight to his knife that hung from his belt. He stopped the moment he turned, the knife half way out from its sheath. Lupin stood there, his hand on his wand.

“Lupin, don’t do that. I would’ve killed you.” Snape hissed at him. He cursed under his breath as he replaced his knife back into its sheath.

“You went for your knife, not your wand.” Lupin stated, his ember eyes never leaving his own onyx eyes.

“So? What is your point?” Severus asked him, folding his arms in front of his chest.

“A normal wizard would’ve gone to their wands, not a muggle weapon.”

Severus smirked. Lupin may be a pathetic Gryffindor, but he was very observant. That was one trait of his that Severus had respect for. “Perhaps I’m not your usual wizard.”

Lupin didn’t make any further comments about his observation. “Come on. Lunch is ready.”

“You can cook?” Severus asked a hint of teasing in his voice.

Lupin smiled. “Of course. My mother taught me—,” Lupin suddenly stopped. “Come on.” He said abruptly.

Puzzled by Lupin’s sudden change, Severus nodded mutely as he followed the werewolf toward the others, who eyed him with dislike, but didn’t make any comments as Lupin and he sat down completing the circle.

Lupin handed him what looked like a hotdog on a stick. Severus eyed the cooked hotdog with a sneer; he never did like the taste of hotdogs, but his stomach was hunger stricken, so he gladly took and ate it.

“This is great Remus.” Pettigrew said, his mouth filled with food.

“Thanks.” Lupin said gladly eating his own hotdog on a stick. “My dad and I eat hotdogs nearly all the time when we go out camping.”

Potter laughed. “My parents and I once tried camping out like muggles. It wasn’t that bad a trip and turned out all right.”

Everyone, minus Severus laughed. “My parents would prefer to be caught dead before they ever camped out like a muggle.” Black said.

“I never went camping.” Pettigrew said wistfully.

Everyone became silent and waited while deep in their own thoughts.

“Hey, Snape. Where’s your mutt?” Potter asked Severus, breaking the still silence.

“Aodh is out hunting.” Answered Severus. “He will bring us dinner when the time comes.”

“Well I’m bored.” Black said, leaning on a nearby tree, folding his arms behind his head.

“Let’s tell ghost stories!” Pettigrew said. “I heard people do that when they go camping.”

“Wormtail, it’s not even night time!” Potter laughed.

“It could be.” Insisted Wormtail. “We are in the Forbidden Forest, it’s always dark here.”

“He does have a point, Padfoot.” Potter said, grinning at his friend.

“Aye, Prongs. Who wants go first?” answered Black as he looked around at the others.

No one moved.

“Count me out. I’m not good at telling stories.” Lupin said, putting another hotdog on his stick and then cooking it over the slowly flickering flames of the fire.

“Oh come on, Moony!” Black pleaded encouragingly.

“I said no, Sirius.” Answered Lupin firmly.

Black and Pettigrew turned to Potter, who too shook his head. “I don’t know any stories.” He confessed.

Everyone then turned to Severus, who now digging a swallow hole beside him using the same stick his hotdog was on. He was ignoring them while at the same time, hoping he would be asked to tell a story.

“Yeah, Snape. Know any good stories?” Potter asked him rudely.

Severus stopped, a strange look come over his face. “I know few.” He admitted.

Everyone in camp smiled. Lupin said encouragingly, “Do tell us one.”

Severus shrugged. “I don’t think you would like the ones that I know.”

“Oh come on Snape. Are the stories that your old mum told you is too good for us?” Black said snidely.

Severus glared at Potter and Black. How dare they insult his mothers!

“The stories are not for the foul hearted such as you.” Severus snarled back angrily.

“Severus, James, Sirius enough.” Lupin hissed at the three. They all turned to glare at him. “Severus, do tell us at least one story. I am very curious as to what stories you know.”

The other three boys too were curious, if they only admitted that fact to themselves.

Severus looked at each of the four boys with mild suspicion. It seemed inconceivable that any of them would be interested in what he could tell them. A story? What story would he tell and what kind? A man and woman falling in love with each other and in the end kill themselves because of their forbidden love? A story of a mad king who had banished his son, who then had came back many years later to claim the throne by killing his father? Or story about the World when muggles, wizards and mythical creatures were once equals with one another? A story where two half siblings, one a peasant, one a king, had an affair and produced a child together, where in the end the child and king fought killing each other?

Severus shook his head. None of those would work. They are too common. Everyone knew that type of stories. No he will tell them one that he and his siblings knew by heart. The one that his father told him before he went away for all those years.

“I will tell you one. It is an ancient legend that is told by muggles to their own children. Where most wizards nowadays don’t think anything of it.”

“A muggle story? You a Slytherin is going to tell us—,” Black started to say, but was cut short by three of his friends hissing to be quiet.

“Shh!”

Severus smiled. He felt strangely happy as if he was back at home with Svana preparing to tell their younger siblings a story.

-

Long ago there once was a man that had twelve children and he had to work day and night in order to feed them. In time another child come into the world. The poor man gazed down at his new son and not knowing what else to do, ran out onto the highway, determined to ask the first person whom he would meet to become the godfather.

The first person who come to his way was the Lord God, who already knew what was in the poor man’s heart, and God said on to him, “Poor man, I pity you. I will hold your child for baptism, and care for him, and make him happy on earth.”

The poor man asked God, “Who are you?”

“I am God,” said the Lord.

“Then I do not wish for you for my child’s godfather,” said the man. “You give to the rich and let the poor starve.”

Thus spoke the man, for he did not know how wisely God divides wealth and poverty into the world. Then he turned away from the Lord, and went on his way.

Then come the devil that come on to him and said, “What are you looking for? If you will have me as your child’s godfather, I will give him an abundance of gold and all the joys of the world as well.”

Again, the man ask, “Who are you?”

“I am the Devil.”

“Then I do not wish for you to my child’s godfather,” said the man. “You deceive mankind and lead them astray.”

The man went on his way, and then Death, on his withered legs, came walking towards him, and said, “Take me as the child’s godfather.”

Again, the man asked, “Who are you?”

“I am Death, who makes everyone equal.”

The man said, “You are the right one. You take away the rich as well as the poor, without distinction. You shall be my child’s godfather.”

Death answered, “I will make your child rich and famous for he who has me for a friend cannot fail.”

The man said, “The baptism will be next Sunday. Please be there on time.”

Death appeared as he had promised and served as godfather in the arranged manner.

As the boy came of age his godfather appeared on to him one day and asked him to go with him. He took him out into the woods and showed him an herb that grew there and said, “Now you shall receive your godfather’s present. I will turn you into a famous physician. Whenever you are called to a sick person, I will appear to you. If I stand at the sick persons head, you may say with confidence that you can make him well again; then give him some of this herb and he will recover. However if I stand at the sick person’s feet, he is mine and you must say that he is beyond help and that no physician in the world could save him. Beware, my godson, of using this herb against my will or something very bad will happen to you.”


-

Severus Snape stopped telling the story. He was surprised he wasn’t interrupted as he thought he would be. Each of the four friends had slowly advanced nearer to him, They looked expectantly at him for him to continue.

“Why did you stop?” questioned the boys, “On with the story!”

Severus smiled and continued on with the story.

-

It was not long before the young man had become the most famous physician in the whole world. People said of him, “He only needs to look at the sick in order to immediately know of their condition, whether they will regain their health or are doomed to die.” And people all over the world came to him from far and wide, bringing him their sick and dying, while giving him so much money that soon he became a wealthy man.

Now it came to pass that the king of the lands became ill. The young physician was summoned and was told to say if a recovery were possible. However, when the young man approached the bed, Death was standing at the sick man’s feet and so no herb on earth would be able to help him.

“If I could only deceive death for once,” thought the young physician. “He will be angry, of course, but because I am his godson he will shut one eye. I will risk it.” The young man therefore took hold of the sick king and laid him the other way around, so that Death was now standing at his head. Then he gave the king some of the herb, and the king recovered and became healthy again.

However, Death came to the physician with a dark and angry face, threatened him with his finger and said onto him, “You have betrayed me. I will overlook it this time because you are my godson, but if you dare to do it again, it cost you your life, for I will take you away with me.”

Soon afterward the king’s only daughter became seriously ill. She was the king’s only child, and the king had cried day and night till he was nearly blind with tears. He then proclaimed that whosoever rescued her from death would become her husband and inherit the crown.

And when the young physician heard this he came to the sick girl’s bed where he saw Death at her feet. He remembered his godfather’s warning, but he was so obsessed by the princess’s beauty and the vision of becoming her husband that he threw all thoughts to the winds. He did not know that Death was looking at him angrily, lifting his hand into the air, and threatening him with a withered fist. The young physician lifted up the sick girl and placed her head where her feet had been. Then he gave her some of the herb and her cheeks immediately turned red and life stirred in her once again.

Death, seeing that he had been cheated out from his property for the second time, Death approached the physician with long strides and said onto him, “You are finished. Now it is your turn.”

Then Death seized him so firmly with ice-hold hands that he could not resist and led him to an underground cavern. There the physician saw how thousands and thousands of candles were burning in endless rows, some large others medium-sized, others small. Every instant some died out and others were relit, so that the little flames seemed to be jumping about in constant change.

“See,” said Death. “These are the life-lights of mankind. The large ones belong to the children, the medium-sized ones to married people in their best years, and the little ones to old people. However, even children and young people often have only a tiny candle.”

“Show me my life-light,” said the young man, thinking that is still would be very large, for he was still young.

Death then pointed to a little stump that was just threatening to go out and said, “There it is.”

“Oh dear godfather!” said the horrified young man. “Light a new one for me. Do it as a favour to me, so that I can enjoy my life and become king and the husband of the beautiful princess.”

“I cannot,” answered Death. “One must go out before a new one is lighted.”

“Then set the old one onto a new that will go on burning after the old one is finished,” begged the physician.

Death pretended that he was going to fulfill this wish and took hold of the large new candle, but desiring revenge, he purposely made a mistake in relighting it, and little pieces fell down and went out. The physician immediately fell to the ground.

He was now in the hands of Death.


-

“The end.” Severus announced. The group was silent.

“Wow. That’s a great story, Severus.” Lupin said.

“Why would a godfather do that to their own godchild?” Pettigrew asked no one in particular.

“Because he is Death. What do you expect?” Potter said.

“Well, that was the freakiest story I heard in a while. What are those muggles teaching their children?” Black muttered as he stood up.

“Values of life, Black.” Answered Severus.

“And lessons.” Lupin said smiling, putting out the fire with dirt.

“Yeah, lessons to not letting Death become the godfather to your children. If I ever became a godfather, gods help me.” Black said.

“Heavens forbid if that ever happens Black.” Severus snapped at him. “I will feel so sorry for those ill fated children.”

Black glared at Severus with a stern look but did not say anything more about the subject. Instead he snapped gruffly, “Come on guys. Let’s go.”

Cursing silently to himself Severus hoisted his pack onto his back and waited till the others picked up their belongings.

With that done the five wizards went silently on their way down the trail. The strange scent still following them.

(End of Chapter)

Words:
3,142

Author’s Notes: The stories where Severus was thinking of “which story should I tell” are stories that I like, (in order).

Romeo and Juliet.
Hellboy: the Golden Army with Prince Nuada slightly twisting it.
Legend the one with the younger Tom Cruise.
Merlin with Sam Neill as Merlin in the story.

The story in italic (in my own words) is the great short story called Godfather Death by: Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm.

The reason I picked this story is because there are 13 of the Snape children in my story. And the story in the future will be important. Why do you think Tobias tell the story to his children?? Find out soon.

Read and Review!

—FireChildSlytherin5
Sign up to rate and review this story