Categories > Original > Drama > Escaping Reality

Chapter Nine

by River 0 reviews

Chapter Nine of Escaping reality.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2008-10-28 - Updated: 2008-10-28 - 3724 words

0Unrated
Chapter Nine

Saturday rolled around quickly and I decided to walk to Blake's house early. It was only ten o'clock but I knew they had a big day ahead of them, and I'd woken up early anyway.
"Okay, before we get started I have a proposition to make," Blake announced as we sat in the garage where the band had set up to practice, "I talked to my parents last night about us all flatting together and they thought it was a great idea. They've decided to move to England permanently. So they're going to sell this house, because we can't all live here anyway, there's not enough rooms. So that means we can all flat together?" Blake was clearly excited with the idea and looked round expectantly at the others.
"I've been looking in the paper and I've seen a few good apartments, enough room for all of us. We could go check them out tomorrow?" Quinn offered.
"Well, it gets even better. My parents are going to sell this house, but they said that they'll buy another. Big enough for all of us to live in, they've given me a few addresses so we can go check them out tomorrow?" he asked.
All the guys seemed keen on the idea. It was lucky that Blake had rich parents. That would definitely take a lot more stress out of their lives if they could live somewhere together, without parents, and rent free.
"Let's get onto practicing then," Connor said picking up his bass.
They had met with one of the songwriters yesterday and he had helped them out in abig way. They now had the ten songs they felt were good and were looking forward to practicing them today. They still needed a little more developing, but they would be ready by the end of the week to start recording. I sat back and watched them practice. I had to admit that they had improved so much, just in the past few months. They were growing as a band and their songs were more than ready for the album. Which made me excited, I told them how I felt about it and they said they agreed. They had worked with them as much as they could and the next step was recording, another new experience they were looking forward to.

- - -
"Blake's parents decided to buy one of the houses," Quinn told me on the phone, the day after we had been to see the apartments.
We had looked around all of them and taken photos for Blake's parents since they weren't able to fly back and see them.
"That's great, which one?" I asked.
We had looked at four different apartments. All of them were spectacular and brand new. However, one of them had only three bedrooms so it had been unsuitable and another one had been too far out of town, so it was counted out too. The other two were equally as nice and either was perfect for the guys.
"They decided to go with the two story one," Quinn said.
One of them had been three storied. I pictured the one they had chosen. It was joined to three other smaller duplexes. It only had a small yard, perfect, as Idoubted the five of them would get round to doing much gardening. It had two living rooms, the main one downstairs and a smaller one upstairs. The kitchen was brand new and had stainless steel bench tops and appliances. There were two bathrooms and an ensuite off the biggest of five bedrooms. I couldn't believe five teenage boys were going to live in such a gorgeous apartment. Families would die to live in a place like that and now they were moving in, without having to pay a cent. I was jealous, I couldn't deny that. I wondered for amoment what it would be like, how my life would be different, if my parents had been rich. I knew they tried their best to give me the best life they could, and I was really grateful. Sometimes I couldn't help wish they had worked harder, or done more to earn more money. I felt bad for thinking like that, but it was something I often had on my mind. Especially now that I saw Blake's parents could afford such a beautiful house, for their teenage son and his four best friends. They were even going to pay for the power and food until the guys got jobs or started to make money from their music. They didn't understand how good they were going to have it. Blake's parents supported him completely in his music career and I knew Quinn envied that. Although he tried to convince us that he didn't give a second thought about his family anymore, I knew that wasn't true.
Quinn told me the plans for moving in. The owners were moving states in the next few days, so they would be able to move in within a week. Blake's parents had already sorted everything out, and they had organized a removal truck to move all the furniture from the old house to the new one. They had also chosen new furniture online that was needed for the extra rooms, which would arrive within the week too. It was then I came to terms with how much money Blake's parents must have had, it seemed like they could afford anything they wanted. It was at that point I set myself a life goal, as impossible as it seemed at the time. I was going to be rich one day, and I was going to live a life where I could afford to have anything I wanted. One day, I would be living the life I wanted. I just had to figure out how.

- - -
It was only a week and a half later when Blake got a call from his parents saying that they were all ready to move into the new house. So I got up early on the Saturday and went round to the new apartment. The first truckload of furniture had arrived and I helped the guys arrange it after the movers had brought it inside. All the furniture was really modern and fit well with the interior colours of the house, not that the guys paid much attention to that. The new furniture wasn't arriving until the afternoon. Everyone had packed most of their stuff into boxes and had just put them in any room for now, they would decide who's was who's later.
After the last truck of furniture had arrived that evening we sat in the downstairs lounge, the only room that had been properly set up, to relax. I envied them all being able to live together. Five best friends living together, life would now just be a big party for them, well as often as they could. I was surprised their parents had let them, on such short notice anyway. I doubted my parents would have let me, but then again, maybe it was different for boys.
"You know Kate, we've been talking, and you're welcome to move in with us too, if you want?" Blake said sitting on one of the new couches.
I had to admit, I was a little taken back by his offer. I hadn't been expecting it at all. I knew they thought of me as one of them, I was close to all of them and they always included me in everything they did, but living with them would be so different.
"There are only five bedrooms though," Aaron pointed out, seriously.
"Well, that means she'll just have to share with one of us," Blake smiled.
"Pick me!" Quinn laughed, "Do you want to move in?"
I was certain my parents would never allow it. I doubted living with my boyfriend and his four friends at seventeen was something they'd agree with.
"I don't know, I don't think my parents would let me. Anyway, I won't be able to pay for power or anything," I said, honestly, I had asked worked to cut back on my hours and they had employed a lot of new staff recently, now to the point they were almost over-staffed. I was crossing my fingers I wouldn't lose my job because of that.
"I told you, my parents are paying for it," Blake said.
"I know, but I'm not their responsibility, I'll feel bad," I admitted.
"Why? We don't," Aaron laughed, "plus we're going tomorrow to see if we can all get welfare benefits or whatever they are."
"I'll talk to my parents," I agreed and said goodbye.
I had to get home for dinner. Even though I knew it was a long stretch, if I did get enough courage to ask my parents, I was a little excited at the idea of moving out. No matter how much Iloved my parents, I craved independence and couldn't wait to move out and start my adult life, as young as I was.

- - -
"How old do you think I'll be when I move out?" I asked casually that night, sitting down to dinner.
I still wasn't sure if I'd bring up the idea of me moving out now or not. I was scared to ask in case they got mad.
"Well, whenever you feel you're ready, I suppose," Mom said sitting down beside me, picking up her knife and fork.
"Don't worry, you won't be stuck with us forever," Dad joked.
"Why do you ask that?" Mom asked.
I could tell that she wasn't suspicious of me yet, so I could still choose not to bring it up if I wanted.
"You're not planning on moving out anytime soon are you?" Dad chuckled. I didn't think he'd be laughing if he knew the reason why I had brought this up, that I actually was actually considering it. I made the decision to suggest it and my heart beat sped up as I prepared myself. Iswallowed my mouthful and put down my knife and fork. My parents looked at me apprehensively as I did this. They knew me too well.
"Oh, you're not are you?" Mom asked, disappointed.
They both looked at me and I felt myself blush, if they hadn't known already they did now. I didn't say anything else, waiting for them to speak again. I didn't want to upset them, but I could tell I was going to, no matter how I put it.
"No, absolutely not, you're far too young!" Dad said, his voice rising.
"You just said whenever you're ready. Well, I'm ready now," I said, trying to control my voice, I wanted this to be as simple as possible.
"And where would you be moving to?" Mom asked, I could tell she didn't want it to turn into an argument either.
Dad spoke before I had a chance to answer, "I suppose it would be with Quinn? How do you plan on paying for it, you hardly get enough money from your job for that. Oh, don't tell me you're dropping out of school too?" He was yelling now, and I must admit I was a little frightened.
If they hadn't reacted in such a big way, I probably could have let the idea go. But since dad was yelling at me, and making such a big deal out of this, it made me determined to leave. It had started off as an idea, but now it was a plan and I wasn't prepared to take no for an answer. I felt sorry for Mom, but it was Dad's fault. If he had just talked about it civilly we might have been able to come to a compromise. I couldn't see that happening now.
"To answer your questions," I said, remaining as calm as possible, "Blake's parents have bought a big flash apartment just around the corner from his house. No, I'm not dropping out of school. Yes, I would be living with Quinn, as well as Aaron, Blake, Kyle and Connor. They moved in today, and asked me if I wanted to move in with them," I explained, avoiding eye-contact with either of them.
"You and five boys, I do not think so young lady!" Dad yelled, standing up from the table. His face reddened in anger.
"Sit down please, lets talk about this like adults," mom said, her voice was strained.
"But she's not an adult," dad muttered, sitting down in his chair again. That remark made me mad, maybe I wasn't an adult, but I certainly wasn't a child. Iwasn't a bad daughter, and I always thought my parents trusted me enough to make the right decision for what was best for me, that's what they'd always told. Clearly I had thought wrong.
"You can't stop me," I said, feeling my rebellious side awaken inside me.
I hated arguing with my parents, I just wished they could have seen it the way I did.
"Oh yes we can! You are still our responsibility until you're eighteen," Dad shouted, standing up again.
"We're your parents, love. We just care about you and right now we feel this isn't the best thing for you to do," Mom said in a soft voice.
"I don't care. I didn't ask you to be my parents, and I wish you weren't. I hate my life here," I said coldly.
I hadn't meant to say it, it had just come out. It was a horrible thing for me to say, and I knew I sounded ungrateful for everything they had ever done for me. I just didn't understand why they were so against this, it was the only thing Ihad ever really asked for. I immediately regretted what I had just said. The angered expression on Dad's face, I could handle. It was the upset look on Mom's face that tore at me.
"Go to your room," Dad spat.
My eyes welled up with tears.
"Mom," I tried.
"Listen to your father," she whispered.
I walked into my room and shut the door behind me. I felt so bad for saying it, but what could they do now? Kick me out? Then I would just been getting what Iwanted in the first place. I hadn't meant for that to happen, for it to turn out like this. I never argued with my parents, and this argument had been worse than I could even imagine, it was the worst thing I could have ever said. Ididn't mean it at all. It had just meant to be a discussion, and instead it had turned into a nightmare. I broke down and sobbed on my bed. I loved my parents so much. I had just got caught up in the moment and said something stupid. Ididn't really hate my life, of course it was difficult sometimes but those times often came and went.
Once the tears had stopped a while later I opened my door. I needed to go and apologize to mom and dad. They were still at the dinner table. Mom didn't look up as I sat down in the chair next to her. Dad had his arm around her, and he didn't look at me either. I opened my mouth to say something but Dad spoke first.
"You've made it very clear how you feel about us right now and that you don't want to live with us. Your mother and I have talked about it, and we think its best for you to leave," he spoke with no emotion in his voice, which made it even harder for me to hear.
"No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said. I love you both, and I'm so glad to have you as my parents," my words tumbled over each other and tears rolled down my face again.
"It's best if you go," Mom murmured.
"You said they've already moved in, so I can drop you around their tonight. There are boxes in the garage, pack them full of the stuff you'll need," Dad said.
I sat there for a moment, stunned. This was not what I had planned at all. How could I leave them like this? However, I couldn't insist on staying now, this had all started because I wanted to leave. Now I was being made to leave and I didn't know if I wanted to. I still didn't have my head around it.
I got up from the table, feeling numb, and went into the garage to get the boxes. I put them in my room and tried to decide what the best way to do this was. I would pack the most important stuff now, and then come back for the other stuff as I needed it. I chucked my school books, clothes, make-up and hair stuff into the boxes. I found other various things around my room until the boxes were full. I quickly checked the rest of the house for things I'd need over the next couple of days. I dragged the three boxes to the front door and went back into the dining room. Mom still hadn't moved from the table, I could see her eyes were red and puffy and I felt horrible for making her so upset. I walked over to her and put my arms around her. She didn't move, or even acknowledge that Iwas there.
"I love you mom, I'm so sorry," I whispered. She said nothing.
Dad walked into the room, "Ready?"
I kissed mom on the cheek and walked towards the door, "Yes," my voice cracked.
I followed dad to the car and helped him put the boxes in the back. Apart from me giving him directions on how to get to the apartment, the car ride was silent. It wasn't like I was going to live in the slums this was a nice brand-new apartment in a flash part of town. They knew I'd be safe, and they had always trusted Quinn. To me, it sounded like they had been over-reacting, well until I said what I did.
Dad shut off the ignition when we got to the apartment and we carried the boxes to the front door.
"Dad..."I said as he turned to walk back to the car.
"There's nothing you can say, Kate," he said continuing down the path.
"I love you," I whispered, but he was already out of earshot.
I watched him drive off and just stood there for a moment, not believing what had just happened in the past two hours. I don't know how long I was standing there, but eventually I snapped back to reality and rang the doorbell.
"Hey! What are you...?" Blake appeared at the door but his question trailed off when he saw my red, swollen eyes and the three cardboard boxes, "Come in."
I walked past him and into the lounge. I began to cry again when I saw Quinn.
"Baby, what's wrong?" he asked putting his arms around me as I buried my face into his shoulder and cried. "It's okay," he whispered, holding me close.
When I eventually pulled myself together and turned around Aaron and Blake were standing there, the boxes at their feet.
"Thanks,"I tried to smile and faced Quinn again, "You don't mind if I move in do you?I've sort of been kicked out..." I laughed and wiped the tears away with my sleeve, it wasn't something I ever thought I'd have to say.
"Of course you can," Quinn smiled and brushed his hand on my cheek, wiping away atear.
"You guys take the big room, with the ensuite," Blake said.
"Sweet!"exclaimed Quinn.
"Are you sure? I don't mind," I said, it was technically Blake's house after all.
"Yeah, you'll probably want your own bathroom, for your make-up right?" Blake laughed.
Quinn put his arm around my waist and showed me upstairs, to our new room. Our new room, I couldn't believe I was seventeen and living with my boyfriend. I would never have expected that. It made me feel grown up, and for a second I forgot about my situation, and was excited. We sat down on the bed and I explained everything that had happened.
"Whoa,"Quinn said.
I guess it was quite hard to take in, because it wasn't how I usually acted.
"I'm stressing about it," I admitted, looking up at Quinn.
I felt comfort looking at him, like he would always be there to help me. Being with him, I felt like we'd always have each other and we could go through anything together, and still come out the other side just as strong. I was glad to be with him, to have him here right now.
"Well, you know what I do when I'm stressed," he laughed, pulling out a packet of cigarettes from his pocket and waving them in the air.
To his amazement, and mine, I took the packet from him and walked out onto the balcony that led off our room. There was no wind and the stars were shining brightly, the place was beautiful. Quinn had followed me and I felt his eyes on me as I sat down on the outdoor furniture and pulled a cigarette and the lighter out of the packet. I lit the cigarette and put it to my lips. I could tell he still wasn't convinced I was going to go through with this. Sensing that, I was even more determined to do it right this time. I closed my eyes and inhaled, I slowly breathed out. I was surprised to see I had done it without coughing and choking. I looked over at Quinn. He noticed the, oh my god, I did it! expression on my face and laughed.
"Don't be proud!" he smirked, 'remember, smoking kills."
I laughed. I had used that line on him plenty of times.
"You can talk," I laughed, "it does sort of calm you doesn't it?" I said, more to myself than Quinn.
Now, I was beginning to understand why people smoked. I was shocked to hear myself think that and had to remind myself it was a disgusting habit that I didn't want to get into. I smoked the whole cigarette anyway.
Sign up to rate and review this story