Categories > Original > Drama > Play: Full-Framed Glasses.

Act One: Scene One.

by xl0nelywriterx 0 reviews

Read some dramatic works. Expand yourself.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-12-12 - Updated: 2008-12-13 - 446 words

0Unrated
SCENE ONE.

(The stage is set up with as a stool. There is a light on Diane, she is sitting on the stool with the light half covering her. The light should reflect off of her full-framed glasses. She is petite, an average build. Wearing something not too plain, but not too contemporary. A simple blouse and a knee length skirt. Her hair is a light brown, shoulder-length. Diane looks around before she begins to speak, she has a very gentle, soft voice:)
DIANE. (quivers)

(Diane looks to a stage manager off-stage)

DIANE. Do I--?

(She stops. And brushes her hair to the left side)

DIANE. I'm sorry...this was the first therapist I've been to in my life. I have so many thoughts I need to just sprawl out. But then again, so do so many people. There are many people in this world. In fact, there are too many people. We don't even know if this world exists. For the sake of argument, we'll say it does. Not just to say it exists to take an easy way out--but if we go on living our lives thinking there's nothing ahead of us, then we'll be wasting our entire lives and might as well just kill ourselves. Not that I'm against suicide. No...no, you can do what you want. But life, although oddly sensual and slightly...well, not slightly, very much confusing...we have to take what we get from it. Yes.
If we go around thinking there's nothing ahead, we will never try and see what is ahead. We should at least try. If you don't, suicide makes sense. That's why I want to move to Europe. I wanted to see what was ahead of me. I know what I can do, and done--in America. I spent too many years with a technical degree from a second-rate community college. Not that many. Only about 4 or so...ish. It doesn't matter the amount of years. What matters, is that I wasted them. What matters is that the soul of my well-being wasn't meant to be around people whose social structures are so simple that it revolves around the simple feelings of love, contentment, happy and depressed. Alcoholism might as well be a human emotion, seeing as it's so fucking common. It's funny how a simple liquid--formulated of just a few compounds can really just grab a hold of you. Make you feel impulses to grab that drink and just chug it for no reason. I don't under...

(She stops)

DIANE. I'm rambling. I've said too much. Why is this so important? I want to leave.

(She stops and nods, and then exits stage right)
Sign up to rate and review this story