Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Brendon Urie, The Friendly...Ghost?

I've Got A Passport to a Field Of Things You Know But Have Had Years of Practice to Readily Ignore

by smokeandmirrors 2 reviews

Tonight more than one person's fate will be decided.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-12-20 - Updated: 2008-12-20 - 4013 words - Complete

1Moving
I'd never intended for this to happen. I never knew that it could happen. How many mediums like myself could honestly say they'd physically gone back to the time and place where the spirit they were helping died? None, as far as I could remember ever reading about, either that or they never came back. No, there was no way that I could think about that possibility, especially when I'm in a ridiculously gorgeous shiny, rich, dark blue gown with silver wings, feathers and all tied to my staggeringly bare back, matching a feathery silver mask I'm wearing. I lick my lips and can easily tell there's some kind of gloss applied, strawberry. Even in such an event like this I'm comforted by something familiar like taste. Something slightly heavy and metal is resting between my breasts, and my green eyes glance around quickly before I look down and see that it's a pocket watch, silver and decorated with an ornate cursive B. Suddenly it all comes together and my eyes snap up and narrow at the collection of voices unknown to me. I'm going to save Brendon Boyd Urie's life. And with that terrifying truth, I let my slightly shaking legs carry me through a crowd, a slight smile automatically appearing on my lips as my eyes search desperately for the man I had undoubtedly fallen in love with, when he wasn't a man.



It did not take me long to find him, though it was far more surreal than I'd imagined it would be, my heart leaping in my throat and my lungs burning as I found it difficult to breathe, stomach tightening by the second as I studied him with lips parting slowly. He was so...alive. Rambunctious, full of spirit, a grin on his lips that actually met those dark eyes surrounded by flushed, warm skin. My fingers twitched, and I clasped my hands behind my back to bury the ache to feel just how warm that skin was. He was playing with his mask, taking off his top hat and running another hand through that dark messy hair of his, his leg shaking and his adam's apple moving constantly to match the sound of the laughter that I could barely hear. Always in motion, always warm, always smiling. This was the real Brendon, the Brendon I was trying so hard to make sure still existed for the world to chance a glance at and be in as much awe of him as I was. I quickly blinked and looked down, rolling my shoulders and biting my lip slightly as I went over how this would happen. I looked back up and this time studied the people surrounding my mission, and I immediately felt my nose wrinkle and a bitter taste fill my mouth as I spotted the scene queen herself, Audrey. I jumped in surprise as a relaxed, gravelly voice directed towards my ears brought me out of my revelry of disgust.

"Yeah, I feel that way when I look at her too." I took a quick breath and turned my head to face who I gathered was Jon Walker, the bassist of the band Brendon was...would soon always be...in. "Oh, I...I guess I'm glad I'm not alone on that one." I commented wryly, a relieved smile taking charge of my features as I saw just how amazingly calm and approachable this man was. "I don't really see the uh, appeal in diamond studs in your, um, teeth, but I don't really understand girl fashion, so don't take my word for it." I laughed in surprise and blushed at the couple of looks I got. Brendon always said I laughed loudly, in the way that made people wish they knew the joke, not the way that people would wish I would stop. I never believed him. "Don't worry, I don't see the appeal either. But whatever floats your boat, I guess you could say. I'm Madeline by the way." "Jon, thanks for coming to the party. Want me to introduce you to Brendon? He likes girls with dark hair." "That would explain why he's with a girl with pink hair." Jon let a slow lazy smile spread across his face before he started laughing. "Yeah, it explains a whole lot. Come on, let's get a drink and I'll introduce you. He's easy to talk to, really, and alcohol always helps." With a nod and another laugh from me, I followed Jon Jacob Walker to the fountain where red punch obviously mixed with vodka was awaiting me. I wasn't a lightweight by any means, but in the eyes of Jon's liver, Brendon told me, everyone was a lightweight. He handed me a little glass with a smile and he refilled his much larger glass and we both had a few sips (for him a few gulps) before he guided me to the spot I'd been trying not to stare at the whole time I was there.


"So, I guess if you need some female company, my girlfriend Cassie is right over there with Keltie and Ryan, they're all really nice so, you know." Jon kind of shrugged as he said this and sipped his drink as we walked, my eyes glancing over my own glass at the three he pointed out with a nod of his head, and I smiled graciously at the offer. "Thanks, I can have someone who can relate to the pain of wearing heels now." Jon smiled and nodded his head again before grinning at my mission and his friend, my head down for a moment as he introduced me. "Hey Brendon, I met this alright girl Madeline. Madeline this is Brendon, you both have dark hair, and I'm out of punch again. You two have fun." And with a little awkward bow and raising of his empty cup he left me with Brendon and another friend of his, Shane. "Hey! You look great, the wings are killer, it's sort of like that movie Ever After, you know? But her dress wasn't blue so I guess that's not exactly right...how do you like the party so far Madeline?"

Wow. I stared into those eyes for a few seconds while he fired away with questions and an easy going dive into a conversation shallow enough for me to follow along without having to pretend I didn't know him. I could feel a blush coloring my cheeks already and I couldn't help but grin back at the dazzlingly bright smile of his. "Thanks, the wings took a long time to make, but I guess it paid off if somebody noticed, right? I'm loving the party so far, I mean I just arrived but, so far so great, I've always wanted to go to a masquerade, but it's kind of rare for anyone to throw one in this day and age, I guess. You look great by the way, the top hat suits you in a Bob Dylan sort of way." Was I talking too much too soon? Would he find a way to escape me because of my rambling? I was hoping he'd be sold on the mention of Bob Dylan, we'd shared before that we were both huge fans of Bob Dylan and his words, but that was then and this was now and my heart had never beat so hard against my ribcage, surely they'd bruise by now.

"Oh yeah, definitely having fun. Ryan keeps trying to keep me from drinking because if I get wasted I'll just be all over the place, like uh, how'd Pete put it, Shane?" "A monkey whose eaten way too many sugar-coated bananas. But you've already had like five red bulls before the party, Brendon and you seem okay." "Right? Right!? It'll be totally fine, so what if I embarrass myself in front of lovely ladies and righteous dudes." I started to laugh, really laugh from the bottom of my toes echoing through my belly and escaping my mouth at his quoting Ferris Bueller and just the mere attempt to defend his energy. I also tried to ignore the incredibly suggestive look he gave me when he said lovely ladies, and just blushed and bumbled my way through responding to him. "Aw I find your energy refreshing, people are too calm and blase about everything sometimes, you know? It takes too much to get people excited, and too little to get people all riled up." "Totally, man, I'm so glad somebody likes me around here, you're my friend tonight Madeline, you'll stick up for me right? When all these mean kids start ganging up on me." I winked at him and brushed away the black curls resting on one bared shoulder before giving him a thumbs up. "You got it. I'll be your guard dog, even in this ridiculously poofy dress." I started laughing again and he started to laugh with me as we both let the image of a pitbull wearing my dress enter our heads. "Hey, those heels must be killing your feet, wanna sit?" He offered somewhat shyly, taking off his top hat again and I noticed that he was sweating, the hair near his ears and forehead damp with sweat. I was so unused to seeing this man even sweat! "Oh, thank you so much, I'm so unused to wearing heels." "Me too." He commented with a grin and a nervous laugh as I smoothed my dress and sat beside him, crossing my legs at my ankles and still feeling incredibly ridiculous. "So...you're a Bob Dylan fan, I take it?" I grinned and licked my lips before we launched into a huge Bob Dylan/Beatles discussion, and I knew from the moment I shared my wish of going back in time to walk with Bobby to New Jersey to visit Woody Guthrie (a wish I'd already once shared with him) that I had his attention, and that was all I needed to save his life. Or so I hoped. I was so incredibly naive, with his body heat mixing with mine. He had body heat to share, I couldn't get over it.

~~~~

An hour passed, I met Ryan Ross, the guitarist, backing vocals and most importantly the lyricist of the band, exchanged genuine pleasantries with the adorable Keltie and classy Cassie, and shook hands with Spencer Smith between laughing and whispering silly things with Brendon. It was the happiest time of my life, and I wasn't even alive in this year of 2007. Brendon had started whispering things in my ear every now and then about the costumes he liked on people, and obvious things just so it'd tickle my ear and make me giggle and lean away, only for him to lightly grasp my arm and bring me back to his side. Tingles were dancing along my arm the whole time, and not one complaint could ever appear in my mind. "That girl's dress is green." He whispered this time, making me laugh and cringe away from him at the ticklish feeling in my ear. He laughed with me and bumped his leg against mine before we both heard a perturbed cough from in front of us and I looked up, my laughter dying off as I came face to face with a pissed off scene queen. "Excuse me, but I think you're in my seat." My eyebrows shot to my forehead and I almost smiled at the level of rude this girl had reached so easily. "Right, my mistake, I was just about to request the DJ something." "Awesome, you're still in my seat." I coughed to hide my laugh and got up, smoothly avoiding bumping into Audrey as I turned around and waved goodbye to the pouting Brendon, and I felt myself die just a little bit inside. "Hey, got a request?" I asked, grinning as Brendon brightened up a bit and nodded his head enthusiastically. "Something insane, like Russian techno so nobody understands the words but you have to dance anyway." I started laughing, ignoring the glares I was receiving from Miss Kitching and giving Brendon another thumbs up as my legs lead me away from the man I was destined to save, and doing a shitty job of looking after because of a girl with cotton candy for hair.

It turned out that Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy was graciously DJing that hour, and after exchanging a few pleasantries with him too, I requested some ridiculous techno, making him laugh when I told him who had requested it, and I requested a slow one, a song by Coldplay called Green Eyes. He smiled and took the request without dismissing it, and I went to refill my drink afterwards, missing Audrey approaching me to my left as I traded punch for champagne this time and took a light sip, enjoying the fizz and the hum of people enjoying themselves before I set it down to check my pocket watch. "If you think you steal anyone away from me, you're dead wrong, got it?" I looked up in surprise at how threatening that voice suddenly seemed, and the look in her eyes made me realize right away that seriously wanted me dead. "I'm...sorry? I wasn't looking steal anything, I'm not really the thieving type." I bit my tongue but kept my eyes trained on hers with a steely gaze. My sarcasm definitely wasn't going to do a lick of good in this situation. "You're a bitch, and girls like you always steal boyfriends." I mentally rolled my eyes and wished I could just slap her now for not paying me in the future. "Funny, I thought I graduated high school two years ago." "Yeah, you're in the real world now, so watch your back." I sighed and just replied with a soft, "Okay," to keep the woman from wanting to kill me as I watched her briefly picked up a glass of champagne. "Enjoy the party, loser." She called at me as she walked over to Brendon, who was now looking at me with sorry eyes. I merely shrugged and smiled at him before taking a sip of my champagne, and finding the taste to suddenly be sour, so I tossed it out and laughed as Pete just then started to play outrageous techno for Brendon. I grinned as bodies filled the dance floor, one incredibly skinny one headed for me to my surprise and taking my hands. "Come on, kick off those heels and dance with me! I don't want to be the spastic one in the middle of the floor!" I laughed loudly and yelled in his ear over the music. "Oh, so you're dragging me into that title now?" "Hell yeah!" And with that, I kicked off my heels and let him drag me to the floor, my laugh ringing out happily as I noticed his eyes trained on my chest for a few moments as we started to jump around.

That's when things started to feel not so great. I was warm, but now everything was too hot, and too dizzy, and my stomach churned as Brendon twirled me around with him and then....everything went black, and I remember pain shooting through my knees as I landed on the floor...

~~~~~~

Cold. Warm. Something cold was against my forehead, and something warm was holding me in an upright position. "Madeline? Madeline...?" That eager, soothing voice called to me, and my eyes rolled around a bit before they settled on a blurry figure. "If you gotta throw up again, there's a trashcan next to you." That's when I noticed the acrid, awful taste in my mouth and things started getting clearer. "Madeline, if you could focus on this light please and try to tell me how you feel, that would be great." A deep, stern voice brought me back from any lingering darkness and I nodded my head as I followed a pen light and licked my dry lips a little, cringing at the taste some more. I hated throwing up more than anything else. "Great, now how do you feel?" I took a general consensus before I murmured weakly that my stomach felt sore, and my throat stung. I looked to my left where the handsome blurry figure had been calling my name, and smiled softly at the sight of Brendon beside me, my mask in his lap along with a clutch purse that I guess was mine. I then noticed two cops in the room, and an EMT in front of me, taking down notes and handing me a glass of water. "Well, since you might be unaware, someone tried to poison you Madeline, but luckily you only took a sip it seems so you're not in danger of any long lasting effects." "Who..." I was so confused, why would anyone want to poison me, somebody that I knew for sure no one knew. "Have you ever recieved any threats from an Audrey Kitching before tonight, Miss?" "No...I didn't know her before tonight." The cop that asked the question nodded and wrote down my answer, then asked me for my full name and address, and I replied that I couldn't remember, and I must've looked scared because Brendon reached across and took my hand, his palm sweaty and warm against my dry and cold fingers. Usually my hands were sweaty but I suppose a brush with death cures that. "Here, her license is in her purse." He replied, handing them the purse and I breathed out a sigh of relief at the convenience. Whoever had sent me here had covered all the bases, that was for sure. I hoped I had a convenient bank account, too, or else I was royally fucked if I was stuck in this time for good.

I answered the questions I could, was handed my purse back along with a prescription and directions to keep my stomach at ease for the next 48 hours, and when everyone left except for Brendon I pushed the trashcan away and closed my eyes, yawning and wincing again at the awful taste. "I know how you feel, it's gross. There's some gum in your purse I think." I laughed tiredly at the fact that Brendon knew that and sure enough there was some Orbit that I quickly shoved two pieces of in my mouth, chewing and chewing and swishing water in my mouth and swallowing, the taste improving though I wished I had a toothbrush so badly with me. "Some party, huh?" I asked jokingly, squeezing Brendon's hand lightly. "Yeah, never saw someone get that sick so fast man, that was crazy...and kind of scary, really. I feel like an ass for dating someone capable of murder." I felt like crying at his sorrowful tone and patted his hand reassuringly. "Well at least I know I can clear a room. And don't worry about it, anyone is capable of it, you just can't tell who'll act on the urge. I'm just happy it was me and not you. Even though, between you and me...throwing up just freaking SUCKS." Brendon just blinked at me for a moment before bursting out laughing, and he hugged me quickly and carefully, making my body tense in shock and I could barely feel the relief that filled his body at my casual nature. If he only knew. If only. "So, either I take you home, or you stay with me since you live nowhere near this area and you have to give the cops your statement. What's it gonna be?" He wiggled his eyebrows at me and mine shot up to my forehead in shock. "I'll feel really weird staying with you, but I honestly don't feel like moving right now, and you're fun, so I'll just ignore that odd feeling and go with the flow. How's that sound?" I rolled my gum around in my mouth as he smiled at me and nodded his head happily at my answer. "Awesome, it's no problem at all, me and Shane would love to have you, plus we got a dog, Dylan that just fucking loves when girls come over, it's insanely sweet." I grinned and soaked up his energy before stretching carefully and noticing my feet were still bare and the little bit of my hair that was up was now down and slightly messily blending in with the rest of my curls.

"Oh yeah, your shoes are still out in the main room or whatever you want to call it, I'll get them if you want. I'm pretty sure we have an extra toothbrush, if I were you I'd really want to brush my teeth about now..." Brendon continued to talk, and I listened, but I blanked out for a bit as I thought about my predicament. What if suddenly disappeared in the middle of saying goodnight to him awkwardly after he hands me a blanket to sleep with on the couch? Then he'd think he'd lost his mind! I bit my lip and slowly sat on my knees, sighing. "You know, I think I should just go home. I'm sure I'll be fine." "Wha...really? Okay, sure, I'll just get my car...don't move a muscle, it'll take a minute, I swear." He jumped away from the bed, and in minutes I found myself slowly making my way from getting my shoes on, to getting in the passenger seat with Brendon Boyd Urie, and making small talk for ten minutes before falling asleep to Brendon humming along with Peter Gabriel's 'In Your Eyes' that was currently playing softly on the radio. He was safe. He would be warm, happy, and sharing his amazing energy with the world for the rest of his days. And even if I would never be remembered for it, I didn't care. I would love him in a different time, a different place, in the same unconditional way.
~~~~

Spring of 2008

After that night, we tried to keep in touch, but I distanced myself from him, and he got himself another girlfriend, another album, and another tour. I had already heard the album, and was currently experiencing heartbreak for the tenth time that month as 'Northern Downpour' played all around me while I poured someone's coffee bright and early at six in the morning. It was approaching my birthday, and I'd actually made some great friends at the Starbucks I worked at, eating takeout in our small apartments, sharing stories (most of mine made up) and burning mix cds was the definition of mine and Ben's relationship. He knew about my hidden affections for the lead singer of Panic at the Disco, and had been hinting at the two of us needing a reunion for months, but I just ignored him and changed the topic every time.

"Ohhhh Madeliiiiine, fancy seeing you here, isn't your birthday today?" I sighed and shook my head at Ben's greeting from behind me as he rang up another customer. "No, it's next week." "Oh, well, imagine that. I've got a ticket here to a concert and a meet&greet for this band, maybe you've heard of them, Panic at the Disco?" I hissed as spilled coffee on my hand in shock and quickly apologized to a customer before rushing to run my hand under cold water, glaring at Ben as he followed closely, smirking and holding up the ticket and info. "Come on, you should go. You know you should. I know you know I know that you know you should go." I hung my head in resignation, and held out my dry hand for the ticket.

I guess I'd just have to rely on Brendon's reaction to see if he'd love me in his lifetime, and not mine.

____________________

Wow! What a long finale, eh? Don't worry, I'm writing a story to follow this one, and this time my chapters will not take forever and a day to appear. Hope you enjoyed this last chapter, and thanks for reading in the first place!
Sign up to rate and review this story