Categories > Original > Fantasy > When I See You Smile, Tears Fall Down My Face

Ch. 3: I will Never Let You Fall, I'll Stand Up with You Forever

by fobXmcrXpatdX 0 reviews

Brandon tells me everything. I think.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Published: 2009-01-04 - Updated: 2009-01-04 - 1038 words

0Unrated
Brandon was in that place again, talking to that being.
“I need to tell her.” He said.
“If you tell her, then she can see you as an angel.”
“I don’t mind that.”
“Are you sure?”
“I’m sure as long as I’m allowed to tell her.”
“You are.” A sigh.
“Good.”
And he was back, in my room.
He brushed his fingers across my face and sat in my room, watching me, for the rest of the night.

The next morning he was waiting at the foot of my snowy driveway.
“Do you want to hang out later?” he asked.
“Where?” I replied, slightly wary that my mom may not approve of this.
“The mall?” he answered, unsure, “It doesn’t matter to me.”
“As long as it’s not your house,” I smiled, “My mom may think you’re trying to have sex with me.”
He smiled, but it was a nervous smile “Sounds good. Well, the not my house part, not the sex part.”
I laughed.
The school day went by quickly. Yet slowly. At the time the day took too long, now in retrospect, the day was unbelievably short.
I stuck with Brandon after school. We laughed and joked with our friends, but eventually they all went onto their buses. We walked away from the school, talking and laughing about the day’s events. We walked until we got to the “park,” which was more like a square field of grass with a gazebo and clock tower on its premises and busy streets surrounding it. We sat down on a bench.
“Wow, I’ve never been here, well on here, when nothing’s going on.” I said.
“Yeah,” he responded with that knowing smile.
“I have a question. Don’t be offended by it.”
“Sure.”
“Ok, sometimes when I say something, you get this smile on your face like you already knew that.”
“And?”
“Why is that?”
He paused, a shadow crossing his face.
“I know… a lot about you. I’ve known you longer than these two weeks, too.”
I didn’t know what to say, “How?”
“It’s…difficult to explain.” He sighed, “I decided last night that I’d tell you. But, it may put you into danger.”
“Tell me,” A little danger sure as hell didn’t bug me.
“Ok, well…” He sucked in a deep breath, “This is going to sound ridiculous. You won’t believe me.”
“I will.”
“I’m…I’m your guardian angel. I’ve been here for the past three years, protecting you.” I was stunned. I was right.
“So… You…” I couldn’t get words out straight.
“Let me talk.”
I nodded.
“So three years ago, your guardian angel was killed on the job,” he ignored my horrified look, and put a hand on me, “I was a new angel, trained to be a guardian. They assigned me to you, feeling that we’d have a connection. They don’t just randomly assign people. I don’t think that they thought we’d have a connection like this, though.
“So I’ve been watching you. You’ve really made a change from sixth grade to now. It’s pretty cool to watch it all happen.”
“I’m… glad you enjoyed it?” My voice said it like a question, squeaking a little.
“So what do you do as my Guardian? Make sure I don’t die?”
“Don’t die, don’t majorly screw up, and don’t go to Hell,” he ran through the list with a wry smile, “Pretty much, yeah.”
“Have I been hard to Guard?” I asked.
“Not really,” he shrugged.
“Oh…” there was a long pause until I said, “So what happens now?”
“I don’t know,” he said softly.
“I feel like I’m in some sort of Twilight scene where Bella and Edward discuss how they can and can’t be together because he just revealed he’s a vampire.” I said.
“Except I’m not undead and you’re much prettier than Bella,” he responded. I flushed. He smiled, “Though you blush like she does.”
I smacked him jokingly.
“How was my last Guardian killed?” I asked, joking gone.
“Angel Hunters,” he replied grimly.
“Angel Hunters,” I repeated in wonder.
“Some people believe that we shouldn’t interfere with lives and just let things happen. They try and kill the Angels. Which is funny, because we don’t interfere.” He said thoughtfully, “If Osama Bin Laden had an Angel who would interfere, do you think America would be in this damn war? I think not.”
“Very true.”
“But Angel Hunters are kinda rare. Maybe a hundred of them in the whole USA.” He thought about it, “If you think about it, that’s about two a state. Unfortunately, it just so happens that the Angel Hunters’ base is up here, in this state.”
“You’re kidding me.” I whispered.
“No,” He shook his head, “Not a lot of Angels will take jobs here because of it.”
I couldn’t find the right words to say. So nothing came out.
“I just wanted to let you know about it, I felt like I was unable to keep doing this without telling you who…what…I really am.”
“I understand,” I said softly, “And I’m honestly fine with it.”
“Good.”
“So, I’m assuming you don’t live here.”
“Truthfully, I just go to your bus stop every morning.”
“What do you do when I’m not around you?”
“I’m always around you.”
“Care to explain?”
“I didn’t explain this? I can change between my human and angel form like, that.” He snapped in emphasis at the last word.
“And I couldn’t see you before?”
“Right.”
“Now I can.”
“Right, again.”
“Wait-do you watch me in the bathroom?”
He grinned, “No, I’m not that cruel.”
I rolled my eyes with a smile. The sun was setting.
“Maybe I should get you home.” He said.
“Maybe.” I sighed. I didn’t want this to end.
Everything does end at some point. Sometimes it just makes way for something greater. And I must say, the two or three mile walk home was definitely something greater.
Sign up to rate and review this story