Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > 1991

When I Grow Up

by wheresyourheart 6 reviews

and a ride home with a farmiliar face...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance,Sci-fi - Characters: Gerard Way - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2009-01-14 - Updated: 2009-04-12 - 966 words

5Original
The whole 'knowing Gerard's future' thing was still wierding me out a bit as we exited the school doors, on our way to be picked up. I was curious about his thoughts, about what he wanted, about everything. There was such an urge for me to get to know the real Gerard Way, not the one that I'd seen in music videos and on stage.

"So, what do you want to be when you grow up?" I asked, pushing my bangs out of my face.

"Hm..." he paused, "Maybe a comic book artist. I haven't really thought about it much, but that's probably what I'll decide on." We walked slowly, I was enjoying his company. "What about you?"

Shrugging, I told him, "I really have no idea. I've tried thinking about it, but I can't ever come up with something that I'd really want as a career. I mean, since I was little I've kind of wanted to be a writer... but I really suck at English class."

"So," he said. "You don't have to be good at English to be an amazing author."

I nodded. "Plus, I kind of... I've always wanted to be a musician." I looked at him feeling a little emberassed. I hadn't ever actually told someone that. "Like, when I was three I would use a flashlight as a microphone and sing for everyone."

"Believe it or not, but I can relate," he said. I watched my feet as I walked, listening to him talk. "In fourth grade, I sang in this play..."

"Peter Pan," I said, nodding. Wait... oh, shit.

"Yeah, how'd you know?" he said, sounding like he couldn't believe that I knew what play he was in.

"Um... lucky guess?" I answered, unable to look at him.

"Oh, wait, you were Wendy, right? Duh."

I nodded again, going along with it.

We now stood at the same place we'd parted the day before, underneath a tree beginning to green again. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow," I said.

Nodding, he said, "Bye." With a shy wave, he turned and walked toward his bus. I watched him walk away, and didn't lose him for a second among the crowd. Once his bus left, I started looking for Jake's car.

"Need a ride, Amanda?" a girl's voice next to me said. I looked up at her. She had short brown hair and big brown eyes. I was jealous of how pretty her eyes were.

"Um..." doing one last scan of the parking lot, I said, "Sure," and hoped that this girl was one of the real Amanda's friends.

"Come on, Harvey's giving me a ride. We started dating over winter break," she told me in a braggy tone.

"Oh?"

"Yeah." We were making our way to a black truck sitting by itself, a teenager in the driver's seat. "Even though he's in college... my dad isn't too happy about that."

"Harvey's my dad's name," I said, something to start a conversation. Plus it was kind of comforting to talk about my family back in 2009, as Casey Stone.

"Cool," she said as we approached the vehicle. She opened the door and jumped in, slid to the middle seat and kissed her boyfriend on the cheek. "Can we give Amanda a ride home?" she asked him sweetly.

That's when he looked at me. I felt my eyes widen and my stomach did a nervous flop. Because sitting in the drivers seat was the same Harvey that was my dad... only this Harvey was seventeen years younger.

Realizing I must have looked funny with my eyes open as wide as they were, I relaxed them and did a close-mouthed smile.

"Why not. Anything for you, hun," he told her, then put his attention back onto me. "Jump on in."

I managed to get my head to move up and down a few times and move my legs up into the truck to sit down, then close the door.

"So where's you're house at?" he asked, pulling onto the road.

"Uh..." I started.

The girl next to me spoke up, "You know where she lives! That party we went to in June when her parents were in California."

"Oh! You're that Amanda!" he said, his face brightening. "That party was the shit."

I giggled politely.

The girl said, laughing, "They don't call you Daved Stoner for nothing!"

He hit her playfully, "Oh, shut up."

The girl said, "Ow, baby, you hurt me," in a whiny flirty way.

I made a face. It was gross seeing my future dad flirt with a girl... especially one that wasn't my mom.

"I'm sorry, Jess," he told her.

Oh. So her name's Jess.

"So," Jess said, changing the subject. "I heard you've befriended Gay Way."

"Yeah..." I said, not appreciating the little nickname. I wasn't liking Jess very much.

"Why, of all people, did you choose him?" she questioned, making a disgusted face.

I furrowed my brow, giving her a mean look.

"You like him, dont you?" she asked.

A smile invited itself onto my face, "No." I tried to make it go away, but I was like a little girl with her first crush, feeling all giddy with happiness.

"Oh, you so do," she said, laughing a little.

"Okay, so maybe I do," I told her, giving in. "And I have for a a while."

"Nuh-uh!" she yelled, slapping my lightly in my forearm. I just nodded. "How long?"

"I don't know..." I paused. "Like, three years."

"Oh, you are full of shit," she whispered.

Wondering why she whispered, I whispered back, "I am so not."

"Then what made you bully him all this time?"

I sighed, thinking up a good reason. "Well, I was an idiot. Anyone that does that will regret it in the future."
Sign up to rate and review this story