Categories > Books > Harry Potter > You're my what?

Part 4

by scruffy1 6 reviews

Christmas and Then back to Beauxbatons

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Warnings: [?] [Y] - Published: 2009-05-10 - Updated: 2009-05-10 - 7935 words - Complete

5Original
I have tried not to steal too much from anyone author but I’m not stupid enough to say I’ve taken only from JKR who owns this universe we play in. Best make that her and anyone she’s sold pieces of it to.

If you recognize something that you feel as yours I hope you treat it like we all hope she treats our writing. “Interesting but that isn’t cannon people,”

Not sure what happened had to reload this to insure part 5 loaded in the right place


You’re my WHAT?

By Scruffy1

Part 4


Hermione was in Diagon Alley shopping for a few last minute holiday gifts when she spotted today’s Daily Prophet headline, “Harry Potter Spotted in France.” After buying a copy she tucked it in her bag intending to read it back home after finishing her shopping. It proved to be a uniquely frustrating endeavor. In a few stores there were now separate registers for pure-bloods which always seemed to be free while everyone else made do with one register. After picking up only the few gifts that had to be magical she went to the owl post shop sending off presents to the Weasleys and her former Hogwarts dormitory companions before passing back through the Leaky Cauldron into what she suddenly realized was her side of the barrier.

Back home her mother asked, “How did it go?”

“Not good, I think it’s a good thing this is our last Christmas in England. I’ll do all my magical shopping in France and wherever you and dad settle from now on.” Hermione stated calmly.

A puzzled look came to Margaret Granger’s face, “What’s going Hermione?” her mother asked in the voice that conveyed ‘should I be concerned’ or possibly ‘do we need to move earlier than planned?’

“You remember telling me how in Germany they had signs about who was allowed into various shops based on heritage?”

“Of course, wait don’t tell me that’s happening in magical England.”

“Nothing that bad yet but a few stores had checkout stands for ‘Pure-bloods Only’ I guess they think with Voldemort coming back it catering to his powerbase might be back in style.” Hermione said settling in to ‘her’ chair and opening the paper in a move quite reminiscent of her father.

With this new development she was grateful they would soon be joining their daughter out of the country.

Hermione interrupted her mother’s musings when she exclaimed, “Harry has a Companion?”

Margaret knew her daughter was sweet on two boys but as a mother she didn’t like the way one of them treated her daughter. The other boy this Harry person seemed to treat her daughter right but even she had heard the capital letter on Companion. Deciding to intervene she asked, “What is a Companion and why are you so bothered by it?”

Hermione looked up from her reading having finished her first read through when she realized her mother had asked her a question. “What did you want?” she asked. After her mother repeated the question Hermione said, “The paper is highly bias against Harry and more than a little wrong in it’s facts but the short version is:” before explaining all she knew about veela companions.

“Let me make sure I’ve got it. The fact she was introduced as Gabrielle Delacour-Potter means he has accepted her into his family in some way but not as a wife or consort. They still have consorts in the wizarding world?”

“Yes I think it could be a good thing if the women in it are satisfied with it.” Hermione replied shocking her mother.

“Right, So what does this mean to my daughter?” Margaret asked her tone conveying she most definitely disagreed with her daughter’s statement.

Hermione thought for a moment replying, “Nothing, I mean Harry and I were not dating or anything last year. He’s just one of my best friends.”

“If he asked would you have dated him?”

“I would have been tempted but with the whole golden trio thing it might have been too awkward.”

Her mother was about to ask about the golden trio when she remembered her daughter talking about Ron, Harry and Her being referred to by some nickname. “So you’re telling me that if Harry walked up to our door right now and asked you out on a date you’d say no?”

“I’d have to talk with Gabrielle first.”

“Disregarding the Companion thing I take it you would say yes.”

Hermione looked over the paper in her hands replying, “Yes mother if Harry asked me out on a date I’d say yes. It would be only a date after all.”

“What about his companion?”

“I might still accept. It would be nice getting to know her and learn a few things. After all don’t you always tell me there is more to life than books?” Hermione replied teasing her mother gently.



~ HP&GD~



Harry rose from the bed before grabbing a robe heading down to the Delacour’s kitchen.

“Harry how did you enjoy last night?” Apolline asked as she sat drinking coffee with her husband.

Harry thought as he slowly poured his own cup of coffee stalling for a bit of time finally saying, “I enjoyed it. There were a few minor bumps but I spent a wonderful evening out with my family. Can’t beat that.”

Apolline nodded her understanding the boy’s statement while wondering how her youngest daughter got so lucky.

The rest of the holidays passed peacefully. Apolline was pleased when the results of their testing came back. Gabrielle was able to skip an entire year she would be taking fourth year classes when she returned and Harry would have been able to skip fifth year but he declined not wanting to get that far ahead of Gabrielle. Instead he expanded his course selection to include Runes, standard math, French, business, and applied magic. This would increase his future options drastically assuming he passed the fifth year exams in all his subjects.



~ HP&GD~



Hermione sat in her little reading nook in the family living room they’d wanted her to be with them rather than up in her room but she’d begged for a bit of privacy. Her father closed off a former closet and made this for her so she could be with them but still have a quiet reading area. The one book she’d found in Diagon Alley about Veela grateful for the instruction her parents had given her years ago regarding how to evaluate an author’s bias. Who ever wrote this either hated what they perceived as non-human beings or was directed to write that way. There was no way she was able to separate the half-truths from the out right lies. She was about to throw the book into the living room fireplace when her mother entered with one of the wizarding history books Hermione had picked up during a winter skiing vacation that included a stop in the magical section of Geneva.

“Hermione the section in here on Veela is fascinating,” Margaret Granger said as she entered. Seeing her daughter’s eyes light up she passed her the book asking, “I take it the book you found wasn’t much help?”

“Help? If I’d gone by what that author wrote I’d probably insulted the entire Veela nation during my first conversation. Why people write books about subjects they know nothing about still confuses me.”

“It’s like we told you when we explained about author’s bias. People sometimes write books full of half truths and occasional lies to influence public opinion. Do we need to go over that topic again?”

Hermione shook her head saying, “No mother, you and dad beat that into me rather well.”

“Good, I know we had a heck of a time getting you out of blindly trusting authors and authority figures last summer and I didn’t want to go through that again.”



~ HP&GD~



Finally the day came when Harry and Gabrielle had to leave the security of Delacour mansion for Beauxbatons Academy of Magic. Surprisingly both had the same unvoiced worry, how will they accept the new me?

They arrived at Beauxbatons shortly before noon spending most of the afternoon in their room putting their things away and using touches of magic to make the room their own. With dinner approaching Gabrielle and Harry made their way into the dining hall sitting down at their table for the welcoming feast.

Madam Maxime rose and the conversation stilled as she looked over the students. “I have a few announcements, First welcome back the remainder of this year promises to be as interesting as the first half. We have a new student and a student returning. Both have spent half a year doing independent study. I would like to introduce Mr. Harry Potter who has joined us from Hogwarts. After taking the same before Christmas break tests as the rest of his class Mr. Potter will be joining our fifth year students as we start back up.” She said stopping for the rise in comments she knew would occur. “Also Miss Gabrielle Delacour Potter is returning to continue her studies with us. She also has taken a battery of tests with her results allowing her to join our fourth year students. I know her new classmates will assist her as needed. For those of you who did not read the papers over our break, particularly our male students please note she is the Companion of Harry Potter.” Madam Maxime finished sitting down she knew every table but two, the head table and the one containing the Potters would be discussing the implications of her statement.

Unfortunately for Harry she was wrong on her last thought. All the tables were discussing her statement. “Gabrielle who are you rooming with?” Anna her roommate from last year asked.

Harry knew the question would be asked by someone and had been briefed by Apolline regarding this and several other answers. “My Companion rooms with me,” He said forcefully as Gabrielle looked to him.

“So are you two married?” Anna asked.

“No I have become his Companion.” Gabrielle replied drawing a raised eyebrow from the other females at their table. “Harry and I are…” she started to continue only to stop as Harry placed a hand on her arm.

“Allow me, Gabrielle and I are together and will be for the rest of our lives. Just what form that will take has yet to be worked out she is but thirteen and I am only fifteen.” Harry replied. The dinner conversation switched topics and for the rest of the meal Harry was briefed on the various instructors and what to expect in class from each of them in between discussions about what everyone else did over the break from school.

Gabrielle felt someone approach just as Harry started to ease her chair back allowing her to rise. “Hermione! I didn’t expect to see you here.” Harry exclaimed while Hermione enveloped him in one of her hugs. Gabrielle’s magic started to react but it confused her. Normally someone else hugging her companion like this should have invoked a strong defensive feeling, just like it had at the ball when several of his dancing partners got too close. This time her magic was almost singing in joy.

She was still trying to sort out what was going on when she was wrapped up in a hug. “Gabrielle I’m so pleased about you and Harry. He needed someone to ground him and you’ve obviously taken good care of him. What are you now Harry six feet?”

“Six two or so.” Harry commented watching the two young women.

“Excuse me Gabrielle, I didn’t mean to make any advances on your Harry. He’s just a old dear friend.” Hermione said once she’d realized she’d hugged Harry in front of Gabrielle without asking her permission. “Once the paper reported you two at the ball I made it a point to read up on Veela Companions. Then I go and violate the first rule right off.” Hermione added shaking her head.

“It is all right Hermione. I recall you hugging him like that last year. As you said you two are old friends. Now a few of the women at the ball however were a different story.”

“Hey I had them announce you as Delacour-Potter when we came in and I did nothing to encourage them.”

“That is true, be glad the President interrupted your dance with the English ambassador’s daughter. My Mother was about to fireball her on my behalf.”

“Oh, what was she doing?” Hermione asked the grin on her face a giveaway that she knew an interesting story was being told.

“For an English slut she sure had Roman hands,” Gabrielle replied drawing a chuckle from Hermione.

“That is… an apt description of several former classmates also. Be glad you are here and not at Hogwarts. I do not think it would be a relaxing day for you there,” Hermione said eyeing the new Harry.

Gabrielle caught her meaning nodding both in understanding of Hermione’s statement and in growing realization of what Hermione meant to Harry. Harry on the other hand let Hermione’s statement slip past without thought focusing instead on something else, “Speaking of Hogwarts why are you here? I know why I transferred but you were inline to be head girl in a few years,” Harry asked

“Hogwarts has changed.”

“How bad?” a suddenly subdued Harry asked.

“When Dumbledore couldn’t find anyone to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts Cornelius Fudge appointed Madam Umbridge a senior Undersecretary to fill the post. She was quite disappointed when you didn’t arrive on the train. During Dumbledore’s welcome she interrupted him to make a classic bureaucratic speech about working together and moving forward into a new era. That was a bunch of hogwash along with her teaching ability, all we did in DADA class until I left was sit in class and read chapters out of the textbook. She believes the answer for all defense questions is to lock the door and wait for the Aurors to arrive.”

“So were are the future Aurors suppose to come from?” Harry asked.

““The Ministry will train them as needed,” Was the answer I was given. Nearly got detention just for asking that very question. The day Fudge appointed her High Inquisitor I owled my folks, it was time to get out.”

“What the heck is a High Inquisitor?”

“Best I can tell something Fudge made up. As High Inquisitor she has power over the entire school. It was passed off as a return to proper wizarding educational methods. Among other things she has the task of reviewing all the other Professors and correcting their teaching methods. I wrote to Ron when I’d been here for a month just saying hi and asking how things were going. The twins wrote me back. She’s formed an Inquisitorial Squad made up of Slytherins with Malfoy at its head. According to the twins Hagrid has been replaced and word was Divination was on the way out. There were hints of a pureblood bias starting in Defense and Potions, no surprise there. According to the twins it’s formal in most of the other classes now as the Professors try to curry favor with the High Inquisitor. Pureblood students get the prime seats and house points for breathing. Dumbledore cannot or will not do anything to interfere with what’s going on.”

“I can’t believe Dumbledore is allowing that to happen,”

“Harry you know he’s always let the Professors handle their own classes. From what I’ve heard he’s given Umbridge free reign. I would not be surprised to find out she’s replaced Dumbledore before the year is out. The twins wrote the muggle born have to move out of the way of pure-blood students walking the halls if you can believe that,” Hermione said.

“What about the Weasleys how is this affecting them?”

“That is an interesting topic as they are one of the purest pure-blooded families not that you’d ever know it. From what the twins have said without you around to influence him Ron is taking to the new way like a duck to water. His twin brothers had enough of him after he made a disparaging comment about people coming into the wizarding world. Naturally he forgot his girlfriend, Megan Jones from Hufflepuff don’t know if you know her or not, has a muggle parent. Ended that relationship right then according to his brothers.”

Harry shook his head saying, “I know Ron has his moments but I thought he was open minded. He was friends with us after all. I don’t think he learned that at home. I know Mrs. Weasley’s a bit against muggles but I think it’s more they take her husband away from her than any…,” Harry stopped seeing Hermione’s gaze.

“The twins played a prank on him for it, his forehead flashed, “I’m an Idiot” every time he opened his mouth. Molly sent them a Howler over demanding they correct whatever they’d done to their brother. Then Percy showed up and spend a Hogsmeade weekend with Ron.” Hermione said then decided to tell him the rest, “

When we went home on Christmas break I went shopping in Diagon for presents for Ginny, Neville and a few others. Most of the shops in Diagon alley had one checkout reserved for pureblood patrons only. Magical England is starting to remind me of stories from Germany before the Second World War.

Harry looked questioningly at Hermione her eyes gave him his answer looking into them like he was looking at her soul Harry said, “Don’t worry I will defend you if anything like that starts here.”

Gabrielle heard him and finally understood what the young woman talking to her Companion was. She was the one who’d had Harry’s heart prior to the tri-wizard tournament, the potential Mrs. Potter. Gabrielle needed to talk to her woman to woman.



~ HP&GD~



The opportunity came a few days later. Harry was spending the afternoon flying around with a few of his fellow students and Gabrielle took the opportunity to invite Hermione into their quarters.

Hermione looked around as she entered noting the décor reflected Harry’s influence. She was surprised to see a picture of Ron, Harry and Hermione prominently displayed. Suspecting what the meeting was about Hermione reiterated in her mind, ‘Harry had made his choice.’ Now her responsibility was to support that decision no matter how she felt about it or him.

Once they were seated Gabrielle rang a bell causing a house elf to pop in with tea and biscuits wearing a knit cap and miss-match socks. “Dobby?” Hermione exclaimed.

“Mistress Hermione! Dobby was hoping to see you again.” The elf exclaimed bowing to her before disappearing with a pop.

Looking towards Gabrielle Hermione asked, “Your own house elf?”

Gabrielle sighed before replying, “Unfortunately yes, he showed up once we arrived here. Harry claims he’s a free elf and Dobby doesn’t argue the point with him. But to be honest I suspect there is more to it than Harry is aware of. I’ve never seen an elf so devoted to one person.”

That’s Dobby, I’ve dealt with him for years and all I can say is good luck dealing with him.”

“Oh he’s actually a dear. I just need to get used to such… enthusiasm our house elves are a bit more restrained.” Gabrielle replied taking a dainty sip of tea. Looking down at the cup she commented, “I don’t believe he’s served us this particular variety before.”

Hermione debated for a moment after taking her own sip then said, “This is my favorite variety of Earl Gray. Dobby must have known I would be here.”

“Yes he asked who would be visiting when I informed him I’d need some tea and biscuits earlier.” Aft a few moment of uncomfortable silence Gabrielle continued, “I asked you here to discuss you and Harry.”

Hermione set her tea down before saying, “I suspected as much. I want you to know you have nothing to worry about from me. Harry has made his choice. I respect that and hope that you will allow he and I to remain friends.”



~ HP&GD~



In a large office at Beauxbatons there was another meeting taking place.

“Headmaster Dumbledore I am not sure what the purpose of your visit is.”

“As I’ve told you Headmistress I am here to collect a student of mine and return them to Hogwarts.”

“Which of the two young ladies are you here to collect?”

“Neither I am here to collect young Mr. Potter.”

“No.”

“What?” Dumbledore replied his magical control slipping slightly allowing the various loose items to rattle. “I’m sure if I could talk with him he would see the necessity of returning to his beloved Hogwarts.”

Madam Maxime Headmistress of Beauxbatons merely raised an eyebrow as she looked at the Hogwarts Headmaster and waited until his display of power subsided before replying, “As I told you Mr. Potter will not be going with you. His guardian left me with very specific directions among them was that you or any other Hogwarts professor not be allowed contact with Harry or his Veela companion. Now if you have no further business I am rather busy today.”

“Harry’s guardian is a wanted criminal who has escaped from prison. Once the negotiations are done your ministry will be returning him to England. His wishes have no bearing on this.”

“Mr. Black has had his case reviewed by the ministry and has been granted asylum by the ministry. It is good to hear that your ministry will be turning over Mr. Bagman to the Monte Carlo authorities. My contacts in the ministry will be glad to hear that.”

Dumbledore sputtered, “What,”

“That was a condition to even begin talks about Mr. Black. I would think the head of Britain’s Wizengamot would be aware of that fact?”

“Ah, sometimes they fail to pass on the specific details of each case.” Dumbledore replied watching Madam Maxime stand and with an elegant wave motion towards her door the implication obvious even to the Hogwarts headmaster.



~ HP&GD~



“Hermione how much do you know about Veela?” Gabrielle asked back in the rooms she shared with Harry.

“I suspect a bit more than the average witch. The books I read in England were terrible however the one’s I found in the Beauxbatons library agree on the major points so I suspect they are some what correct especially considering you and your sister decided to attend here.”

Gabrielle nodded her agreement. She’d done a quick check of the books on Veela when she’d arrived and on the publicly know information most were quite good. One or two actually had fairly accurate guesses on some of the private information but she wasn’t going to comment on that. “That is good news. Now I need an oath that you will not reveal what I tell you without my permission. The only exceptions are my female relatives.”

Hermione sat back slightly and studied Gabrielle who was watching her calmly obviously willing to wait. Deciding she gave an oath that met the requirements noting Gabrielle’s smile as Hermione’s magic bound the oath.

After casting several locking charms at the outer door to their room Gabrielle returned her wand to it’s hidden holster smiling at Hermione she said, “Harry has permanent silencing, anti-Animagi, and apparition spells on our rooms along with a few others that I have no idea what they are for.” Hermione smiled having a good guess at what a few of the unnamed spells were. Looking Hermione in the eye Gabrielle asked, “What am I to Harry and what does it mean?”

Hermione was caught off guard by the question but recovered quickly answering, “His Veela companion. As for what it means, I assume as he was not married at the time you became his companion you would be his wife.”

“Unfortunately you are close but not quite right. Do you remember how Harry reacted to the Veela at the world cup?”

“Once I’d pulled him back to his seat he was alright. It was Ron and the twins that were sickening.” Hermione replied.

“And why did Harry calm down when the others didn’t?”

“Harry’s always been mentally strong.”

“True he is but as a Veela I can tell you the real reason was his heart was already held by another. The Veela couldn’t enthrall him. Even now I can not enthrall him.”

“Who?” Hermione asked her mind quickly sorting through the possible females that could have her friend’s heart.

“Any guesses?”

“Just one, Ginny Weasley?”

“No not Miss Weasley, at the world cup it was the touch of his love that brought him to his senses..”

“Me I’m not his lover, we haven’t even dated,” an astonished Hermione replied looking in shock at Gabrielle.

“I did not say lover. You hold his heart strings, you are his love.”

It took a minute for Hermione’s brain to restart before she asked, “If you are right, and I’m not saying you are, what does all this mean?”

“Many things, it might surprise you to know I am still a virgin despite sleeping with Harry since he left Hogwarts.”

Hermione didn’t know what to think or say before finally stuttering out, “Does Harry need my permission to … oh, I can’t even say it!”

Gabrielle chuckled internally. Hermione was still avoiding the obvious answer. “No, there is a Veela healer coming soon to “check up” on us I would like you to join Harry and I at that time.”

“Why?” Hermione asked her mind still reeling from all these revelations.

“Because if Harry was able to resist a group of 100 Veela from just your touch on his shoulder not to mention me for six months there is a strong possibility he is at least in the beginnings of a bond with you. At least I hope it is you because I would not like to be a Veela companion to a Weasley’s mate.”

Hermione’s brain was starting to work through all the implications that had been made. “Let me make sure I have everything right. If Harry and I are bonding I would be Mrs. Potter and you would be…”

“His Companion or to be precise Veela Companion Gabrielle Potter.”

“How would this work?” Hermione asked motioning between the two of them.

“I assume you are talking about us?” At Hermione’s nod of agreement Gabrielle continued, “The relationship varies with every companion from lovers to mortal enemies.”

Hermione started to think it through then realized it was not necessary to make any decisions about that now but realizing a little reassurance might be in order she said, “I doubt we’ll end up as enemies. When is the Healer due?”

“Next weekend. I will insure you have some time alone with her after she examines everyone.” Gabrielle said smiling.



~ HP&GD~



Back in England Dumbledore was presiding over a meeting of the heads of Hogwarts houses. “Dumbledore I told you that spoil brat would not want to come back. That French creature has ensnared him and is keeping him there. It’s all for the best in my opinion with him in France we are free to concentrate on the students we should be educating not dealing with some pampered half breed.”

“Yes Severus your opinion is well known,” Dumbledore said in a clam voice obviously pacifying the Head of Slytherin house.

“I regret I must agree with Severus Headmaster, though for a different reason. Despite what we may wish his guardian decided a transfer to Beauxbatons was in his best interest. To disregard a guardian’s wishes is not only wrong it is illegal,” Professor McGonagall the deputy headmistress and head of Gryffindor house stated.

“Minerva your argument would be valid if Sirius Black’s guardian ship was legal. As an escaped convict his guardianship is not legal. Therefore I will continue in my quest to return Harry Potter to Hogwarts as I feel his parents would want preferably without his companion,” Dumbledore replied.

The heads of Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw houses kept their opinions to themselves knowing that if McGonagall could not change the headmaster’s mind they would best help their houses by being silent on this issue.



~ HP&GD~



The intervening week past in a mixture of emotions for Hermione, during classes and while doing homework she was able to concentrate on the task at hand. The rest of the time her vivid imagination was occupied with visions of her being Mrs. Hermione Potter while the rational section of her mind tried to reject those fantasies insisting she loved Harry like a brother and hand no desire to bear green eyed children. Unfortunately every time she visualized one of those children she could help falling a bit in love with them.

Saturday morning dawned sunny and mild. Luckily Hermione was up and dressed early. She’d opened her door to see Gabrielle coming down the hall towards her. “It is good to see your up. The healer is here she is currently examining Harry Gabrielle said taking Hermione’s hand as they walked back to Gabrielle and Harry’s rooms.

“Hey Gabby. Hermione what are you doing here?” Harry called out as the two girls entered.

“He does not know?” the healer asked.

“No Miss Granger and I decided it was best not to worry him until it was verified.” Gabrielle answered.

“Very well, I need the three of you standing together but not touching each other.” It took only a moment for the two to sand beside Harry, Hermione to his right and Gabrielle taking his left side. Harry started to speak only to stop at a glare from the healer who promptly cast a series of spells at the trio causing them to glow a succession of colors. A chair appeared behind the healer as she sat down her eyes fixed on the three teens in front of her. The pop of a house elf broke the silence.

“You are missing breakfast. Dobby will bring four trays.” The elf said before disappearing.

“Interesting house elf,” the healer commented her gaze fixed on Harry for a moment stopping when Dobby reappeared levitating four trays that he placed on individual tables he conjured in front of each person’s seat before disappearing again.

“Very interesting house elf,” the healer continued noticing each tray was different.

Seeing her gaze Gabrielle replied, “That’s Dobby he is one of a kind and he is Harry’s.”

“He does not belong to the school?” The healer replied a bit surprised.

“No Dobby might be a free elf but he’s Harry’s alone.”

“Hey all I did was free him from an abusive owner,” Harry interjected a bit too loudly drawing looks from all three females. “Right I’ll just be quiet now,” Harry finished turning his attention to the fruit stuffed crepes before him.

“May I speak freely?” the healer asked looking at the three before her. Harry not knowing what the healer was planning to talk about hesitated while Hermione and Gabrielle exchanged glances. Seeing the hesitation the healer added, “What I have to say will need to be discussed between the three of you sooner or later and I believe the sooner the better.”

The three looked at each other after the healer’s last statement before nodding their agreement to her plan. “Miss Granger have you and Mr. Potter been intimate?”

“No, I mean I’ve kissed him a few times over the years but intimacy… not at all.”

“Then I admit to a bit of confusion. Are you perhaps religious?”

Hermione wondered what bearing that could have but replied honestly, “Not in the church every Sunday type. That ended when my folks found out I was a witch. They sought guidance from our pastor without revealing too much He turned around and gave a real fire and brimstone ‘Witches are the Devil’s Wives’ sermon the next Sunday ending our church visits. But if you’re asking if I pray, then yes I do most every night.”

“Mr. Potter are you religious?”

“No, although I also pray most nights. It’s something I picked up from a young girl at Muggle School. She told me all about Jesus and prayer. Ended up getting some broken bones courtesy of cousin for her trouble.” Harry replied seeing Hermione’s raised eyebrow Harry added, “Prayer gave me a way to tell someone to tell my troubles and dreams. They might never reply but I felt better after I prayed even when I whispered them while lying on my mattress in the dark.”

The healer nodded asking, “And what do you pray for at night? Hermione first.”

Hermione shrugged but, not wanting to divulge her secrets, kept her reply general, “For the safety of my friends and family.”

Harry nodded saying, “Pretty much the same thing.”

“I take it over the years your prayers include specific requests regarding Harry and yours the same for Hermione?” the healer asked looking at Hermione then Harry getting nods of agreement from them.

“That must explain what I’ve uncovered then.”

It was Hermione that couldn’t hold her curiosity back, “Excuse me what are you talking about?”

“Miss Granger you are on the verge of becoming Mrs. Harry Potter through a magical bonding. Normally it would take several acts of intimacy before a couple picked by the stars to be bonded reached this stage. You two have managed to bypass those items. I suspect it will not take much in the way of intimacy between you two before the magical bonding occurs. You might consider letting your parents know you are dating Mr. Potter in the hope that lessens the shock when you finally bond with him.”

Hermione looked like a fish out of water for a moment before she asked, “Just how close am I and is there a way to stop it?”

“I can’t say do this or that and the bond will complete. It’s a lot more tied in to your feelings than your actions. What I can say is unless your feelings regarding each other change drastically, and I’m not referring to a fight or such but deep feelings there is no way to stop it from completing. My suggestion would be to continue as you have been and while not putting this out of your minds just let nature take it’s course.”

“How will we know when it completes?” Harry asked looking more at Hermione than the healer.

“There will be a manifestation of magic just what form it will take is unknown as it varies every time. Rest assured you and possibly those around you will know when it occurs.”

After a reminder to contact her should there be any developments of note the healer left leaving the three alone contemplating how they progressed from here.

The discussion had just begun when an owl flew in the window heading directly for Harry just as an alarm went off. To everyone’s shock a second owl this one white aggressively dove on the first owl sinking her claws in while driving the first owl to the floor. “Hedwig what are you doing!” Hermione exclaimed in shock.

“Hedwig release him I’m ready now,” Harry said calmly his wand out and pointed at the two owls. As Hedwig rose off the unknown owl started to move only to be stunned by Harry.

“Harry what’s going on?” Gabrielle asked calmly from her seat.

“I’m not sure that was the Portkey alarm that went off and I believe Hedwig just defended me long enough for me to draw my wand.” Harry replied smiling as Hedwig flew over landing on her master’s shoulders before bumping his head with hers then taking a tender nip at his ear.

Hermione looked at the petrified owl then started to reach for the letter the owl had attached to its leg.

“Stop Hermione if that ward was right either the owl or the letter is a Portkey. To be honest I don’t think I’d like you to leave here that way.” Harry said stopping her in her tracks.

Gabrielle stood up saying “I’ll go get Professor Drapeau. He should be able to help with this.”

Harry nodded as Gabrielle left taking Hermione in his arms and holding her close as the thought of what she’d been about to do struck her.

Professor Drapeau turned from his examination of the owl and letter saying, “The owl had several charms on her to increase endurance and ability to find you. The Portkey was on the letter along with a strong compulsion charm that would practically force a person to grab it. Once someone did it would activate.”

“Can you determine where they would be going?” Harry asked drawing a roll of the eyeballs from Hermione. “Sorry my girlfriend has informed me that was a stupid question. Let me try again is there a way to tell who cast it?”

Professor Drapeau sighed saying, “All I can say is the individual was a powerful magic user.”

Hermione, Gabrielle, Harry, and Madam Maxime, who’d arrived shortly after the professor, exchanged looks they knew a powerful magic user who wanted Harry someplace other than where he was. “Thank you Professor Drapeau I am grateful you were able to help. As you’ve already analyzed them would you please remove the charms from the owl and cast a containment spell on the parchment for now. I believe there is someone that might find it interesting,” Madam Maxime requested a small smile on her face.



~ HP&GD~



Albus Dumbledore looked at the tall muscular auror facing him. He was currently replaying the conversation they’d been having not believing what he’d just been told. “Kingsley, let me insure I understand what is happening. Voldemort has sent an owl to the Department of Mysteries requesting a formal hearing of any prophecies pertaining to him, and the department is cooperating? Has everyone at the Ministry lost their bloody minds!” Dumbledore asked bellowing the last.

“Albus it’s the law we can’t do anything about it. Believe me we’ve researched this then researched it some more. Once Potter reached the age of 15 it became legal for both of them to be informed of that particular prophecy. Also if there are any additional prophecies concerning Voldemort they must also be disclosed at that time unless there are too many to be heard in a given afternoon or a party to any particular prophecy is under the age of fifteen.”

“When did the Wizengamot pass this hair brained law?”

“During our research we discovered back in 1498 there was a bit of a problem with their Minister for Magic keeping prophecies from the individuals mentioned. The law has been on the books since then but was left of a copy of the laws made in the 1700’s. Who knows how he found out about it but his request was legal, signed with a blood quill and everything.”

“So is he coming to the ministry to hear them?” Dumbledore asked his patience obviously wearing thin.

“No he’s sending a delegate and before you even suggest it under the old law his delegate has immunity provided all he or she does is enter, hear any prophecies then leaves. As long as they doesn’t attack anyone we can’t arrest them even if they are an escaped prisoner.”

Realizing it was inevitable Dumbledore asked, “When is this taking place?”

“Two weeks from the receipt of the request. This is your formal notice that next Friday at 10:00 a.m. you need to present yourself at the Ministry of Magic, as you were the one to provide the prophecy. Another Auror is contacting Mr. Potter with the same news.”

‘Well it won’t be all bad. I can use this to bring Potter back to Hogwarts even if I have to cast a controlling charm to get him to agree.’ Dumbledore thought as he sat back and reached for a lemon drop.


In France a British auror was standing in Madam Maxine’s office with two French Aurors behind her. “Miss Tonks you can not see Harry Potter without his godfather’s permission.” Madam Maxime said firmly.

“But it’s official business,” The British Auror protested.

“Official British Ministry business with someone who has applied for asylum in France citing persecution by your ministry.” Beauxbatons head mistress countered. After looking over the now chastised British Auror for a minute she added, “Seeing as you had the good sense not to argue with me I will attempt to contact his godfather and let him decide how to handle you.”

Getting up she cast a silencing ward between them before throwing floo powder into an small fireplace set head high for her into the wall next to her desk. After a few minutes most of which was spent waiting she stepped away turning to watch a second floor level fireplace.

Sirius Black appeared from the fireplace approaching the gathering, “Ah, Nymphadora what a pleasant surprise. Madam Maxime didn’t tell me I had family waiting but then she may not have known. Tell me how is your mother? She was recently reinstated to the black family and as her head of family I regret being unable to visit her in person.”

The British Auror started at the use of her first name but surprisingly the two French Aurors never even cracked a smile. Forcing herself to be polite she replied, “Mother is well I will tell her of your inquiry. Mr. Black I am here on official Business. Harry has to appear at the ministry next Friday at 10:00 a.m.”

“I assume you mean the British Ministry?” Sirius asked. Getting an affirmative nod in reply he added, “No.”

“You can’t refuse he has to be there,” Nymphadora Tonks said in a voice that bordered on pleading.

Sirius Black suddenly shifted in his seat obviously changing mode. “Speaking as head of House Black I have consulted several Lawyers regarding this and they have assured me when it comes to anything involving Harry Potter, I am his guardian and therefore I have total control. There is no way Harry is setting foot in England let alone at the beck and call of the Ministry of Magic. If this is an official request as you said I assume there is some official paperwork?”

During auror training it was drilled into them, never get cute once an individual invokes head of house status. Once they do an Auror should call for their team leader and stick to yes sir, no sir, please come with me sir, and nothing else. With no team leader around Auror Tonks nodded reaching into her robes withdrawing a packet of papers.

Sirius nodded towards an empty side table, “You my either set them on that table or take them back to England with you. They will be examined for any charms or potential curses. Once they are pronounced safe I will read them and take any actions I deem appropriate.”

“I was told to only give them to Harry Potter,” Tonks replied firmly.

“The only reason you are being offered the option of leaving them is you are family. Your other option is to return to England with them and tell whoever sent you that you were unable to deliver them. My justification is Harry was owled a touch activated Portkey within the school year. It was only due to quick action by his owl that prevented a major problem. Once those papers have been examined by Beauxbatons’ charms master then and only then will I open them.”

Knowing she’d reached an impasse Auror Tonks did the only thing she could leaving the documents on the indicated table she turned and with her French auror guard left Beauxbatons.



~ HP&GD~





Joseph smiled as he entered the room Madam Maxime had made available for his meeting. Both Harry and Sirius were waiting and rose as he entered. “Mr. Delacour thank you for meeting with us here. I hope the travel required was not a problem?” Harry said.

Joseph locked his emotions down as Harry spoke. For two people who’d lived with him for half a year to be so formal set him on edge. As neither his wife nor his daughter was present he wasn’t sure what was going on and that thought brought Joseph Delacour Ministry troubleshooter to the fore. “My travel was not difficult. What can I do for you today?” Joseph replied keeping to the tone Harry had set.

“This was hand delivered by a British Auror. It is an order for Harry to present himself to the security desk in their lobby at ten A.M. next Wednesday.” Sirius said passing the parchment to Joseph for his perusal.

A minute later he looked up asking, “What are you requesting?”

“As you noticed it was for me or my representative. I was hoping it would be possible for the French ministry to send a low level bureaucrat who both was skilled in Occlumency and had diplomatic immunity to attend as my representative,” Harry said.

Joseph now understood why all the formality. Harry was not asking Joseph, the man he’d lived with or Gabrielle’s father he was asking the French Ministry official for some dubious help. He knew the prophecy Sirius had been told it by James Potter when he and his family went in to hiding. He had told Harry and the Delacour’s last fall. What he was wondering was why Harry wanted to bother sending a representative to hear it when he already knew it then it struck him. “You want the French Ministry to officially know the prophecy.” He said looking at a grinning Harry and Sirius.

“Right in one. All three of us know Dumbledore does his best to read the mind of everyone he deals with. So we make sure the man is an Occlumens, the diplomatic immunity is to insure the British ministry can’t mess with him. I know he’s allowed free travel by the rules but this is Dumbledore and Fudge. I don’t trust them at all.” Harry said.

“And the low level of this bureaucrat?”

“I did not want you to think I was asking for you directly also I am willing to compensate the ministry for time and expenses. The lower the level the cheaper I get off.”

Joseph nodded he could understand the reasoning, “Let me consult with a few colleagues. I will get back to one of you tomorrow if I am unable to accommodate your request leaving you enough time to make other arrangements.” He said rising and returning to his office.
Sign up to rate and review this story