Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

I Feel Sick

by wordhammer 1 review

Holly begins to recover from the Basilisk battle to find not everything comes out normally.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Horror,Humor - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry,Lucius - Warnings: [!!!] [V] - Published: 2009-05-12 - Updated: 2009-05-12 - 4919 words - Complete

5Funny
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all related concepts are owned by someone who isn't me. I will never seek or accept money for the circulation of this work.



Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

Chapter 13: I Feel Sick



1st May, 1993



Dear Harry,

I am starting to feel a little better. For the last few days I have been awake, it has felt like my whole body was being rebuilt. If you listen closely at my stomach, you can hear little construction workers making rude remarks as the bread in my broth floats through. Madame Pomfrey has been at once pleased and concerned. From her perspective, I shouldn't have been conscious for another month, but now that I am awake and itching to be mobile, she doesn't understand why I still feel sick. I think she appreciates my trust in her opinion, as she also seems grateful that I decided to stay in hospital these last three days. In truth, up until today there was nowhere I'd rather be. Hedwig is here, Hermione is here, and the rest of the world is out there. Given my experience, what would you choose?

Still, I am itching to move and I've noticed that my only possessions at hand here are this journal and the Quill. There's no sign of my clothes, cloak, goggles or wand. And of course, the Sword is absent. I can understand most of it, but I have never been far from my wand while in hospital before. It makes me think they are keeping all the sharp objects away from me. I asked Madame Pomfrey, and she said the Headmaster collected them up after she and Fawkes were finally able to uncoil the dead Basilisk from around my body. Looking back over the transcription Prof McG left for me, I can only assume that Fawkes can teleport others within his grip, and brought me here still wrapped in the serpent to avoid delays in treatment. Come to think of it, I doubt Fawkes could have pried apart those coils with only his beak and talons anyway.

I think it's time for me to see the Headmaster again. I just wish I didn't already have a headache.



Transcription: 1st May, 1993 starting 2:38 PM GMT

Holly Evans (HE) pokes her head into the Headmaster's office. Seeing no one else around, HE steps in and sits down in the chair in front of the desk. Adrian the Sorting Hat (A.) is resting on a wig stand on the bookshelf behind the desk.

A.: Miss Holly Evans! It is most agreeable to see you walking about once more! And might I add, you are looking most radiant!

HE: Hiya, Hat. Yeah, hospital gown and two wool blankets is the fashion statement of the season.

A.: Aren't your feet cold?

HE: Only sometimes, but I hadn't noticed until you said something.

HE curls her bare feet beneath her blankets, wrapping more tightly into the chair.

HE: Adrian, thank you for telling my story as well as you did.

A.: Ah! So you've heard a rendition of it then?

HE: Prof McG recorded it for me, so I read the transcription. I didn't realise you could mimic voices.

A.: Normally I cannot. Only the thoughts you sent to me as conversation could be rendered thus. It is but a parlor trick, but excellent for storytelling. I cannot say when I should have the opportunity to use it once more.

HE: Yeah, I kinda doubt the Headmaster is going to lend you out the next time I need to kill something. Perhaps you should see about getting involved in teaching. Professor Flitwick's choir could probably use a voice coach carrying a thousand years of experience, not to mention a decent Baritone.

A.: Hah! An excellent suggestion! Shall I ask Albus?

Albus Dumbledore (AD) enters the room from the door to his private chambers. He stops to look at HE in his guest chair.

AD: Miss Evans! I am pleased to see you on the road of recovery. Did the gargoyle at the entrance give you much trouble?

HE: Well, you changed passwords since my last visit, but he stepped aside after I threatened him in Parseltongue. May I have my stuff back please?

AD: I am fine as well, Miss Evans. Thank you for asking.

HE: I said, 'Please'.

A.: She did say 'Please', Albus.

AD turns to give a look to A. and then pulls out a carved dark wooden box from under the desk. AD removes the cover from the box and sits down behind the desk.

AD: Your goggles, wand and robes are within, as well as an extraordinary cloak. You may keep the box, if you like.

HE: Thanks. Is the other vial still in my robes?

AD: Severus' potion was returned to him. He has indicated to me that he will not hold you responsible for stealing from him, seeing how the items were used appropriately and in the defense of the school. It is good that you have come to speak with me today, as it is matters of responsibility I would like to discuss with you...

HE: Hang on. What about that?

HE points to the broadsword now mounted on the wall next to the bookshelf behind the desk.

AD: That is the Sword of Godric Gryffindor himself. The Sorting Hat was able to provide you with this weapon after you demonstrated such remarkable courage. It is enchanted to be released from Adrian's care to the hand of a person who needs it, but only a person worthy to be called a Gryffindor.

HE: I know what I did, and the only reason the Hat gave it to me is I asked for a weapon. If I hadn't requested for him to tag along, he wouldn't have been there to note my courage or give me the sword.

AD: Nonetheless, it is a school artifact. It shall remain with the school until it is needed once more.

HE: Fine, whatever. How much is my share?

AD: Share?

HE: Yes, share. I killed a 20 meter long Basilisk, which was transported up to the hospital wing wrapped around my crushed body. I doubt you just cast 'Evanesco'. I bumped into the twins on the way here, and they said that Professor Snape has been holed up in his private lab for the last month, having Slytherin prefects proctor his classes. He must be rendering the corpse for materials. So what's my cut?

AD: What else did the Messer's Weasley say to you, my dear?

HE shifts position in the chair, still keeping herself wrapped tightly. HE's face is very pale.

HE: They said both Lockhart and Ginny were transferred to St. Mungo's, but Ginny is back now. They know I was nearly dead upon arrival and that the school was in an uproar trying to find out why no one was allowed into hospital for the last few weeks. Poppy has been making dorm visits instead. They said you appeared at the evening feast to announce that Slytherin's monster was a Basilisk that had been slain, but that the investigation was still ongoing. They also said that Professor Snape had let it slip that I had ruined Lockhart's chances for winning Witch Weekly's brightest smile award ever again, but that his teaching skills would be undiminished. "Kinda the pot calling the kettle black on that one." George said.

AD: How did you know it was George Weasley?

HE: When they're together, Fred always talks first. You just need to keep track after that.

AD: Really? You know, I always find our conversations so stimulating, Holly.

HE: You're freaking me out again, sir.

Lucius Malfoy (LM) bursts into the office, followed closely by Dobby, a house-elf(Db). HE looks up at the new arrivals from her chair. LM stands staring at AD and does not take notice of the occupied chair.

LM: Dumbledore! What is the meaning of this? You were suspended from your position by the Board of Governors!

AD: Indeed I was, leaving Professor McGonagall to assume the mantle of Acting Headmistress. It was under that authority that she contracted me to return to the castle and investigate the threat of Slytherin's monster and the Chamber of Secrets. Minerva asked me to work here to keep out of everyone's way, as she prefers her current office.

LM: (coolly) Very well. What has your investigation uncovered? I will take your report back to the Governors to decide if your services will continue to be needed in this matter.

AD: Oh, I doubt you will need me to continue the investigation after today. I was just interviewing a key witness that should wrap things up quite nicely.

AD gestures towards HE in the guest chair. LM turns to suddenly notice they are not alone. LM sneers.

LM: And who is this? She looks familiar but the hair is a little dark to be a Weasley.

HE looks confused, and then pulls a lock of her hair in front of her face.

HE: Bloody grief! I've gone burgundy!

LM: One of your best students, I suppose...

HE: No wonder Fred said they never felt closer to me. Is that what you meant by 'radiant', Adrian?

A.: Exactly that, my dear.

LM: Enough of this prattle! Dumbledore, what have you uncovered?

AD conjures forth a stuffed chair for LM at the side of the desk. LM sits down primly at the edge of the seat with his walking cane propped before him, facing Dumbledore.

AD: Well, if you recall, we first became aware of the threat against the school this past Halloween when our caretaker's cat Mrs. Filch was petrified and a message was written on the wall beside her frozen form, indicating that the Heir of Slytherin had returned to open the Chamber of Secrets and use the monster within to punish the Heir's enemies.

LM: Muggleborns...

AD: One can only guess whom the Heir may have targeted. Subsequent attacks resulted in the petrifaction of students Justin Finch-Fletchley, Colin Creevey and Hermione Granger. It was at the point when Miss Granger was petrified that the Monster claimed its first kill in fifty years- Penelope Clearwater. At that point, the Minister of Magic came to the castle and arrested our gamekeeper Rubeus Hagrid, on the grounds that he was involved in the trouble when last the Chamber was opened, resulting in the death of Myrtle Henderson. I believe Cornelius said"we must appear to be doing something!" It was at that time that you brought your injunction against my continuing as Headmaster here, on the basis that I had proven I could not protect the students.

LM: I note all the victims were muggleborns after all.

HE: The Headmaster failed to mention Sir Nicholas, the Gryffindor ghost. Surely you wouldn't classify him as muggleborn?

LM: Please remind your student that children are to speak only when spoken to, Headmaster.

AD: Miss Evans has a point Lucius...

LM: Miss Evans? This is Holly Evans, the girl who brought the troll into the school? The one that flew a magically tainted muggle auto across Britain after missing the Express? The one that physically attacked a student before Christmas, then as recently as three weeks ago did the same to a teacher, sending poor Gilderoy Lockhart to the long term care ward at St. Mungo's? The one that attacked my son last summer? This is your star witness?

LM points at HE with his cane. HE scowls and tightens the blankets around her once more.

HE: Forgive me if I don't shake hands.

AD: Lucius, you shouldn't believe everything you read in the Prophet. Miss Evans was not responsible for bringing the troll into the school, that was Professor Quirrel...

LM: Another of your stellar hiring choices.

HE: And Pansy attacked me. I just defended myself really, really well.

HE smiles.

LM turns to sneer down his nose at HE.

LM: And what did Professor Lockhart do to deserve your animalistic tantrum?

HE looks up to stare into LM's eyes.

HE: Professor Lockhart attempted to Obliviate me and Professor Snape.

LM: That's your story...

A.: Actually, that is my rendition of the facts, Lord Malfoy. Gilderoy Lockhart cast an Obliviation upon Severus and Miss Evans, but hadn't realised that my presence prevented his spell from taking hold on her mind. Holly used the tools at hand to defend herself and a faculty member against a person illegally using Mind magics.

LM: Indeed, and what brought Miss Evans into the situation in the first place?

AD: Therein lies the tale. You see...

HE: (sigh) Let's speed this along shall we? The monster was a Basilisk. It was released by a student who was being possessed by Voldemort through his diary. Voldemort was possessing this student to enable him to fully overcome her body and return to action, and make everyone's life horrible. The Basilisk is dead, the diary has been cut to pieces, and the only reason I haven't killed you for it is I'm too tired from being poisoned and nearly crushed to death!

LM: What?! What is this nonsense?! And why should you want to kill me for any of it?

HE: Because you're the motherfucker that gave Ginny the diary.

LM: Albus, control your student!

AD: Perhaps we should all restrict ourselves to the facts.

LM: Indeed. So you believe Miss Weasley was possessed by a dark object carrying the taint of the Dark Lord. Is she under restraints?

AD: Miss Weasley was treated at St. Mungo's and released. She is being monitored daily by our healer Madame Pomfrey.

HE: And since the Weasleys have no access to dark objects, she must have come by it when you fought with their family over the summer at the bookshop.

LM: You have no proof of that.

HE: No, but I have a witness. Dobby came to me before the fight to warn me not to come here, saying his family was bringing dark things to Hogwarts.

Db: Noooooooooo!

HE: He also knew about the Chamber and that the monster within yet lived!

LM swiftly spins out of the chair, drawing a wand from his walking stick. AD stands as well and aims his wand at LM. LM stops with his wand pointed at Db's head. The house-elf crouches, trembling in fear.

AD: Take care, Lucius. Nothing done in this office today has been illegal, yet.

LM: Fine. Dobby, you are dismissed. You shall bear the mark of the betrayer!

A quick flash jets from LM's wand to burn a Greek letter 'Phi' onto Dobby's cheek.

Db: Dobby is sorry!(begins weeping)

LM tosses a glove at Db's face.

LM: Do me the favor of dying quickly. (addressing AD) I believe our business here is done, Dumbledore.

AD: Then I shall expect you to rescind your injunction against me, as the school has obviously been returned to relative safety.

LM: (Grumbles) Yes!

AD: And I should think you might give up your governorship at Hogwarts. It would be quite the scandal should details of these events make it to the ears of the Board, much less the public.

HE: Hang on; shouldn't he be brought to trial?

LM: With a soon-dead dishonored house elf as your witness? Be grateful of the concessions you've already won.

HE: Soon-dead?

AD: Dobby will never get work from a family carrying that mark, and without a family to bind him, Dobby will waste away and die, probably within the week.

Db crumbles to the ground in quiet sobs.

HE: Dobby, you're hired.

LM: Foolish little girl!You can't bind an elf to you. You'd have to be the leader of a recognized family and own land free of debt...

Db jumps up in surprise, turns to HE and nods enthusiastically.

Db: Dobby accepts!

AD, LM:What?!

LM brings his wand to bear on Db once more.

HE: (quickly) Dobby, find me some fresh fruit!

Db disappears with a crack. LM turns his wand back to HE.

LM: YOU!

HE: You want a banana?

AD: Lucius! I will not warn you again. Do not threaten my students.

LM sheathes his wand back into his cane, then turns sharply and leaves.

HE slumps back into her chair. AD does the same.

AD: I'm glad we could work together to preserve the sanctity of our school, Holly. Lucius Malfoy is a dangerous opponent. I believe he was seeking to replace the current faculty with his own candidates in order to change the nature of this school. I doubt you or your friend Hermione would be welcome in his Hogwarts, if you catch my meaning.

HE: You don't think he wanted Voldemort to return?

AD: Why would you think that?

HE: He didn't flinch when I said Voldemort, and called him the Dark Lord. Besides, I'm not sure how welcome we are now. Ask Hermione how safe she feels here, once she's been un-petrified.

AD: Perhaps that is enough excitement for one day.

HE: Mmm, not quite. We still haven't resolved the details of my share from the Basilisk.

AD sighs.

AD: I would like to offer you the Award for Special Services to the school. It comes with a full scholarship and a supplies stipend. We can make the announcement at the end of year feast...

HE: Just like Tom Riddle? I don't think so.

AD: I think you are being a bit childish about this.

HE: Fine, give me the award and the allowance, but no ceremony.

HE stands up from the chair and retrieves her belongings from the box, wrapping her robes over her layers of blankets and hospital gown. Once her goggles are in place, she points her wand at the wall behind AD.

HE: Accio sword.

The Sword of Gryffindor is pulled from the wall. HE catches it in her off hand.

HE: Potions knife.

AD: What do you think you are doing?

HE: (sheathes knife in her belt) I will bear the sword. I seem to get in more trouble than most. You said Adrian could call it forth when it was needed to the hand of a person worthy to be called Gryffindor. I'll take care of it meanwhile.

AD: So now you wish to barter for a school artifact? That's hardly a Gryffindor attitude. Professor McGonagall will be quite ashamed of you.

HE: I will stop arguing with you about the unbridled fortune you are attempting to steal from me, if you do three things. First, I'd like a vow that you will stay out of my head from now on. No compulsions, no mind reading, just stay out. Second, split the money between the school and the Salazar fund for indigent muggleborns; invent it if you were lying about it before. Give ten percent to Professor Snape for his rendering efforts. Third, make sure Hagrid is cleared of all charges, both old and new. He's been stewing in prison for a month.

AD: And what would you have me tell the public about your victory over the Basilisk?

HE: (sighs) Tell them Harry did it. Harry killed the beast and Harry has the sword. Maybe you'll bring him out of isolation with the world clamoring for his celebrity-ness to show himself. If you want to do me a favor, let me meet my brother! Now give me your vow and let me out of here, I feel sick.

AD: I solemnly vow not to cast a mind-affecting spell upon Holly Evans until I have her express consent. So mote it be!

[pause]

HE: Yeah, alright. So mote it be.

A swirl of magic leaps from the Headmaster's wand to touch both HE and AD. Db reappears with a pop carrying a yellow gourd.

Db: Mango?

Transcription ends.



After that circus, I stopped by Prof McG's office. She was in, and nearly begged to give me my broom back. I assured her I had almost no hard feelings toward her about not having the broom when I faced the serpent. I lived, after all. And got a free hair coloring.

Dobby has taken to following me around. I haven't resolved what to do about him yet. For one thing, he lost his pillowcase when Lucius banished him, so the poor guy has been wrapped in one of my ill-sewn corduroy skirts of late. I keep trying not to look when he stumbles arse over teakettle to expose his action-figure sized elf-parts. Dobby defines pathetic in so many ways, but his heart is good. Also, Prof McG informed me that personal house-elfs weren't permitted to students during the school year, one of the few concessions to level the playing field between nobles and commoners in attendance. Figures. I'll have him work in the kitchens here until I can think of something better.

I have been going over the transcript and I realised a few mistakes I made with Dumbledore's vow. I forgot to include Hermione, and I didn't make him remove any existing spells he may have used on my mind. Also, if I reread his vow correctly, it will only last until I ask him to use any mind-affecting spell on me, then his shackles come off. Obviously I'm still sick, or I would've made out better.



Holly



*



9th May, 1993



Dear Harry,

Just a quick note. I have been absolved of my end of year testing responsibilities and am spending most of my time learning healing from Madame Pomfrey. She felt 'I would do well to make myself useful if I was going to be lurking in her work area until Miss Granger recovers.' I'll give you some highlights.

Tergeo is used for gently cleansing contaminants from soft tissues. Also good on spilled ink.

Scourgify is used to sandblast tenacious things away from resilient objects. I get frequent practice using this on bird droppings.

Evanesco is used to erase the unwanted from this existence, and is usually only effective on soft materials and fluids. High power requirements, leaves no greasy residue.

Episkey is a Greek spell use to reknit tissues together.

Anapneo is another Greek spell, which forces the recipient to unblock their airway and draw breath.

Ferula is used to create a bandage and splint and wrap them around a target limb.

Torpeo is the Numbing Charm, used before almost any procedure to prevent undue suffering.



See if you can find three tactical uses for each spell. Madame Pomfrey is already horrified at my progress. Yes, I'm feeling much better.



Holly



*



Transcription: 25th May, 1993 starting 10:13 PM GMT

Holly Evans (HE) is curled up in a canopy bed. The curtains are drawn. Quill is writing in journal on a pillow at the foot of the bed.

HE: I'm dealing with a lot of pain here, so I figured...

HE grunts in pain.

HE: ...I figured I would... (uhhhnnn)...relieve the need to write in the journal now. I could use the respite from blocking the Compulsion. Hang on...

S-Silencio-aghhk

Oh Shit!

The bed curtains burst into flame.

HE:Aguamenti! Reparo!

The curtains are dowsed with water, and then repaired to their original state.

HE: One...more...time, then. /Silencio/. Better. I thought I was done with being sick, but in the last few hours, my insides feel like they are recreating the Gordian Knot. I read that menstrual cramps were painful, but this....

[pause]

Yeeaaagh!(gasp)

...this is more like steak knives are being used to carve my intestines like a pumpkin, from the inside.

[pause]

After a while, the pain passes. I barely made it through classes today. Prof McG kept staring at me with concern, but I muddled through. I decided to return to classes after Madame Pomfrey chased me out of the hospital wing for using an Episkey to seal Lavender's mouth shut. It's a healing transformation, so we couldn't just cancel it with a Finite- Poppy had to cut her mouth back open and resculpt her lips into shape. Honestly, I think most of the Gryffindor table was grateful for the three days of relative silence during her convalescence. I know I was.

[pause]

I may as well catch you up on events. The Mandrake draught will finally be ready in five days. I asked Professor Sprout several times if there was a way to accelerate their maturity. She eventually indicated that there was a formula called an Incubation Bath, but that it would compromise the reliability of the Mandrakes to cure our patients. I hate to wait, but I wouldn't want to risk Hermione not being cured. I did find the formula for the Incubation bath in Moste Potente Potions, though. I suppose I should return that before Madame Pince starts to garnish the wages of Hermione's grandchildren to pay for the late fees.

Hermione will be beside herself anyway. We submitted our electives for next year and I filled out her form by checking every available option. It's just a little prank between friends, and I plan to tease her about having enough to study as she catches up with half her second year being stuck in hospital. I have no doubt she'll do fine. We were already bored with our first term homework being done when Filch's cat was petrified. If we hadn't had this mystery to solve, Hermione might have jumped a year on me, and then where would I be? No, I think it's best we arrange plenty of research tangents for Miss Granger.

HE spasms and curls into a tight ball as pain resurges.

HE: AARRRrrrrrrrrgghh. Oh, Hermione. I think your guardian angels are kicking my ass for saying that just now. I wouldn't blame them. I just miss you so much. It helps to have something about you to occupy my thoughts, especially now.

[pause]

Sorry, Harry. I just remembered you'll be reading this. Not her.

[pause]

Ok, back to events. Hagrid was released from the wizarding prison, some awful rock on the North Sea called Azkaban. I went to visit him, but he didn't have much to say. He just keeps staring into his hearth, looking like his dog had been killed. I decided to see if his friend the Giant Spider might cheer him up. On my way out to the Forbidden Forest, Ron stopped me to say he was grateful that Ginny had been saved and that I was recovering. Then he promised to defend me, to stand by my side if ever there was trouble. I thanked him and said I was going to see Aragog, the giant Acromantula in the Forest. He slapped my back and said he wished me well and to meet him up at dinner later.

HE smiles.

HE: Finding the spiders in the forest wasn't too hard. It seems they've found out the Basilisk is dead, so there are steady streams of spiders marching a line back to the castle. I followed the trail back towards the source. Even in the light of a bright, sunny Saturday afternoon, the Forbidden Forest is so dense, you need to cast a torch to see well, unless you have goggles like mine. I was able to wend my way deep into the forest until I reached the nest of the Acromantula colony. The spiders there were approaching wolf-size, so I was very careful to keep track of them as I moved forward, but they all kept a distance of five or six meters. Still, I kept my wand in one hand and Godric's blade in the other. I need a scabbard for these things, y'know?

Anyway, I walked forward to finally meet Aragog. He had a deep rumbling voice, appropriate to his size, as his legs spread out to stretch the length of the Dursley's house. We talked for a bit. I introduced myself and asked if maybe he could think of how to cheer up Hagrid. He told me four important things, and then I had to fly off, because his troops were hungry. He said he wasn't well enough to travel, which Hagrid should know. He said I smelled of their ancient enemy, which confused them and is why I hadn't been attacked yet. He said that Hagrid had been subjected to Dementors while at Azkaban, and that they dredge up the most horrible memories a person has, to make them relive them and feed off the emotions. And the last thing that Aragog said was that the last Centaur that they couldn't eat was looking for me. It may have been a lie to make me drop my guard, because that was when his 'children' started dropping at me from the trees. This is where the scabbard need comes to mind. I had to drop Godric's blade to grab my shrunken broom and hit it with the Finite from my wand, then stuff my wand back in my robes to grab the sword again to lift off on the broom. Maybe I'll learn to juggle this summer...

HE cries out in pain and wraps her arms around her lower torso, thrashing about on the bed.

HE: Oh God, the pain is worse than anything...it's like that fucking snake is breaking my pelvis, all over aggH! Agghh! AAAAAAAHHHHH!

[pause]

Ohhhoooooohh.

That's a relief.

I think I just had my first menses, only...oh God, there's...

I...

[pause]

I just...

[pause]

I just dropped three black slimy eggs into my knickers.

(sniffs)

I am a freak.

HE begins to cry as she reaches for the Quill.

Transcription ends.

Sign up to rate and review this story