Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Emerald: Eyes to the Soul

Magic

by CloudPhoenix 6 reviews

Harry & Ginny go to Diagon Alley.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Romance,Sci-fi - Characters: Ginny,Harry - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2009-06-05 - Updated: 2009-06-05 - 3934 words

3Cliche
Emerald: Eyes to the Soul

Chapter 2 Magic


Harry stepped up to the fire, threw his floo powder in, and shouted. “Diagon Alley!” and stepped through the emerald flames. He caught a glimpse of Ginny and saw her looking fearful about something for a moment. Then he was gone spinning round and round he caught glimpses of other peoples homes as he went spinning onwards to his destination. He did not like this mode of travel at all, it was making him feel very sick, uncomfortable and disorientated.

He was then spat out of a fireplace, at what he presumed to be his destination. He fell to the floor and winced as he felt and heard his right arm break. Seconds later Ginny came toppling out of the fireplace and feel to the ground next to him, and she quickly sat up while Harry hoisted himself to his knees cradling his now broken arm.

The fire roared up behind them and Mrs. Weasley was standing there looking down at them, then Ginny squealed in panic. “Harry,” she cried noticing he was hurt. “What’s wrong?”

“No-Nothing,” he responded, concentrating hard a blue light spread from under his skin and a few crunching noises indicated that his arm had been healed.

“Harry, dear?” Mrs. Weasley asked in panic. “What was that?”

“I’m fine now,” he told her as Ginny stood and helped him up. “I just had to heal my arm.”

“Oh, dear, maybe we should take you to see a healer if you’re hurt?” Mrs. Weasley cried out, freaked.

Harry just shook his head. “No thank you Mrs. Weasley, I’m fine now, and I can heal almost instantly now.” He told her assuring.

“Well,” Mrs. Weasley started nervously. “If you’re sure dear?” Harry nodded and Ginny took his left hand while he held his walking stick with his now repaired right, and he now got a good look around at a grimy pub that had hardly any customers, and Ginny led him to the back door where they exited the pub into a tiny little ally. Harry was just about to comment on it when Mrs. Weasley followed them out; pulled out her wand and tapped a series of bricks on the wall, and it melted away into an arch that led into a large cobbled street with shops of all varieties either side, leading up to a huge white marble building at the end.

Harry’s jaw dropped open as he saw it, it was amazing he could not help but smile as he saw the happy shoppers mulling about the shopping district. Ginny led him up the street pointing out the shops as they passed there was a book shop, a robe and clothes shop, a potions stores and even a pet shop, and to Harry’s joy a Quidditch supplies store, he was not that interested in the sport but mainly the flying on brooms.

When they reached the white marble building, Ginny told him that it is Gringots Wizarding bank, and that it is ran by Goblins. Mrs. Weasley and Ginny sat down in a waiting area while Harry happily went up to one of the Goblin tellers so he could be taken to his vault.

“Excuse me sir,” Harry greeted the Goblin politely.

“What can I do for you?” The Goblin asked eyeing the boy curiously.

“I would like to visit my vault please.” He replied slightly nervous.

“Do you have your key?” the Goblin asked, so Harry quickly removed his key from his pocket and handed it to the Goblin. “Ah yes,” the Goblin replied examining the key. “Very well Mr. Potter.” Harry was taken-aback that the Goblin knew him and was about to ask how when the Goblin shouted. “Griphook!” another younger Goblin came hurrying over bowed slightly to Harry as the Goblin at the counter returned Harry his key.

“Follow me, Mr. Potter,” Griphook commanded. Harry followed him nervously through some doors into a stone walled slopping corridor with flame torches lighting their way down to a bronze cart on a tracks. The Goblin got on the cart at the front while Harry got in the back, and they were off.

Harry could not remember smiling so hard, it was the most fun he ever had. It reminded him of those Rollercoaster’s he saw briefly on television once, and all to soon the exciting ride was over and it stopped outside a big iron door. Griphook left the cart bringing with him a gas lantern. “Key?” he asked holding his hand out towards him as Harry got out off the cart.

Harry handed him the key and Griphook opened his vault. The door swung open and realised a puff of green smoke and dust, which took a few moments to clear, but when it did Harry’s jaw dropped to the floor. There were piles upon piles of gold coins, silver coins and even bronze coins, on the wall he noticed several moneybags made of leather so he took one and filled it up with gold silver and bronze coins.

Harry asked Griphook what the coins were and the Goblin told him about Gold Galleons silver Sickles and bronze Knutts. “Can this cart go faster?” Harry asked as they got back in to return to the bank. Griphook looked at him in surprise for a moment.

“Why do you ask?” He asked.

“Because its fun and I wanted to go faster,” he replied reasonably.

“Well,” the Goblin began with a feral grin as the cart started moving and gaining speed, the cart went faster and faster at least twice as fast, than on the way. Harry was grinning stupidly as the cart came to a stop.

“Thank you Mr. Griphook,” Harry said as he stepped dizzily out of the cart, and headed back into the bank with the Goblin following behind. Harry saw Ginny and her mum sitting by the entrance to the bank and quickly hurried over to them.

Griphook the Goblin just stood next to the teller that served Mr. Potter. Both Goblins just watched the young human child quite saddened by his physical appearance, but not showing it, they have a reputation to keep up. “That boy has power,” the Goblin teller suddenly commented as the boy left the bank. Griphook looked up at his colleague. “But yet, it is so pure. He spoke to us as if we are humans. We should expect great things from young Mr. Potter, yes great things.”

Harry, Ginny, and Mrs. Weasley exited the bank, and Harry once again looked around in awe. “Come on Harry,” Ginny said taking his hand and leading him to a clothes shop. “You need to get some nice clean clothes,” she added as they walked through the doors. “How much do you have to spend?” she asked him curiously.

“I don’t know,” he replied and pulled out his large moneybag from his pocket and handed it to her. Ginny just stared in shook at the bag then looked at Harry to see he did not seem to care that he had just handed her a bag, which had more money in it than she had ever seen in her life. Harry had wondered away from her and was looking at a set of crimson red everyday robes with a smile on his face.

Ginny approached her new friend and placed his money back in his hand with a smile. She was just happy for her new friend who had nothing that he could now have anything, but still he puzzled her, he looked like he just did not care about the money.

“Are you going to buy that?” she asked gesturing the crimson robes.

“Do I have enough?” he asked. She understood better now he just did not understand money.

“Of course, you have enough money that you could buy everything in here if you wanted,” she told him.

“Really?” he replied looking thoughtfully at his money, and then shrugged. Then she saw it in his eyes, he really did not care that he had so much money, and for some reason that made her like him even more.

Since she was a little girl, she was read the story of the famous boy-who-lived. Harry Potter, and she had dreamt of meeting him. She dreamt of him being a brave, handsome, and valiant knight in shinning armour who would ride a beautiful white horse. Moreover; even dreamt of marrying him; and having a huge and beautiful wedding, then riding of into the sunset on his horse.

However, ever since she met this boy she had not thought about that ever. In addition, when she found out who he was she felt her heart drop. The saviour of there world had been hurt and abused. Still, she liked him, not because he was this famous boy-who-lived, but because of who he is, his eyes are the most beautiful emerald she had ever seen, and so kind and caring.

It was there and then as she watched her new, no best friend as he put the robes up against himself and made sure the trousers and shirt were the right size. She made a vow to herself that she would never let anyone hurt or use him again, that she would protect him from those who would cause him harm, even if she had to stand up against people like Professor Dumbledore or even You-Know-Who.

Ginny felt while watching Harry looking curiously at the robes in his hands talking to his snake, Slyther, about the robes, that he was better than her dreams and she wasn’t even scared that she had found out she has a new ability, she knew it will only bring them closer together, and she couldn’t wait to tell him.

Harry, Ginny and Mrs. Weasley spent a couple of hours in the clothe shop, and when they finally left Harry was dressed in crimson everyday robes and Mrs. Weasley had shrunk down a load of bags full of clothes that he had bought and placed them in her handbag.

Mrs. Weasley then said they were to go into the magical clinic to get Harrys’ glasses.

“What can I do for you?” the man at the counter of the clinic asked, surprisingly, he looked at Harry guessing it was he who needed the assistance.

“I-I need glasses,” Harry said timidly.

The older man nodded smiling. “Yes and maybe a new walking stick?” he replied looking at Harrys’ stick with disdain.

Harry just nodded shyly. “Yes sir.”

The old man smiled and headed into the back where he returned minuets later with a pair of rectangular silver framed glasses. “Try these,” he said. “They have self correcting lenses, built in water repelling and dust repelling charms, plus unbreakable or scratch-able.”

Harry nodded and put then on, the affect was immediate, and he thought he must have been well and truly blind. He could see crystal, clear now, so he turned to look at Ginny who was smiling prettily at him. “What do you think?” he asked her blushing brightly.

She grinned at him. “You look great.”

Harry smiled. “Okay, I’ll get these,” he nodded, turning back to the old man who was smiling.

The old man then handed him a metal walking stick, silver in colour that matched his new glasses. “What do you think of this?” the old man asked as Harry took the stick.

Harry then replaced his old wooden one for his new one and smiled, “I like it, and it’s the right size.”

The old man smiled. Harry then paid the old man then they left the shop, Harry was smiling brightly while holding Ginnys’ hand as they walked down the street.

“Where do you want to go now?” Mrs. Weasley asked with a smile.

Harry thought for a moment and stopped as they were outside the bookshop. “Can I go in here,” he asked hopefully.

Mrs, Weasley smiled. “Of course dear, why don’t you and Ginny take a look around in there while I go get some groceries?”

Harry and Ginny both nodded, and Mrs. Weasley told them to wait for her in the bookshop and not to wonder off before she left them. Harry and Ginny entered the shop to be greeted by mountains of books. Harry was in awe as he found books on spells and charms he wanted, and he had to ask Ginny to carry his basket after he put in the third book, as it was too heavy for him.

After Harry had put the tenth book in the basket, even Ginny was struggling so he just levitated the next three books he chose. “How are you doing that?” Ginny asked in surprise looking at the books Harry was floating.

Harry frowned in confusion. “Magic?” he replied uncertainly.

“But,” Ginny began looking confused. “You haven’t even got a wand, or any training.”

Harry was very confused now. “Why would I need a wand, I’m sure everyone can do this,” he said gesturing the floating books.

Ginny shook her head. “I don’t think so, and I don’t even think Professor Dumbledore can use wandless magic as easily as you.”

Harry just frowned. “Wandless magic? That does not sound right.”

It was Ginnys’ turn to look confused now. “But you’re using wandless magic on your books.”

Harry giggled slightly while he thought of his reason for saying wandless magic was wrong. “Wands couldn’t have always’ existed could they, so isn’t what I’m doing, just magic?”

Ginny thought about that for a moment, he had a point, wands could not have always’ been around so it made sense that they could use magic just as Harry does. “Maybe,” she began nervously. “You could teach me?” she asked hopefully.

Harry smiled brightly at her and flicked his wrist at the basket in her hand, where it floated and she let go. “Okay,” he replied. “That will be fun, and then when we go to Hogwarts we’ll be ahead of everyone else, we can learn all the spells in these books.”

Ginny giggled as she saw the pure excitement of learning in his eyes, she would not be surprised if her own eyes resembled his slightly. After another half hour Harry had paid for all the books after shocking the till clerk who saw a kid levitating them, and Mrs. Weasley had came to collect them and was shocked to see how many books Harry had got, but she just shrunk them down and they all left back to the Burrow.

It had been a few days’ since Harry had moved into the Burrow and Harry had been sharing a room with Ginny, Mrs. Weasley thought it would be best, as he is still quite skittish around her and her husband Arthur. He seemed only to trust her daughter, and she had to admit they were really, cute when she saw them playing together, or even just sitting down reading.

She had tried them out together with a few lessons. However, gave up after the first try when Harry proved he was smart enough as it was. In addition, the fact he was helping Ginny with her studies was excellent, it gave Mrs. Weasley time to do other things around the house.

Harry and Ginny were in their room together and Ginny was just proving Harrys’ theory about anyone being able to perform magic without a wand. It was easy, she was levitating a small ball, while giggling at her success, she had thought that if she could do it would take months to get this far.

When they had returned to the Burrow on the first day they met, Ginny had told her new best friend that she found out she can understand Slyther, and had spoken to him. Harry was ecstatic that she could speak it too, and they had discovered that to speak it to each other all they had to do was picture the snake in their minds.

When Mrs. Weasley found out Ginny could also speak Parceltongue she almost had a heat attack, but quickly got over it. Now Harry and Ginny often have conversations in snake language just for fun, knowing it is something they can only understand made it special to them both.

Ginny though had the misfortune to have to tell Harry all about Voldemort, and how he murdered Harrys’ parents and that Harry had defeated him, to be left with his lightning bolt scar. For some reason that made Harry angry rather than scared or sad, someone had left him at the Dursleys’, and he doubted his parents would have wanted him there. He asked Ginny who left him there, and she said she did not know. Harry then asked Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and both said they did not know either, but Harry could tell they were not being truthful.

Over the next few months, Harry and Ginny had learnt some exceedingly interesting spells, there was not any bit of magic they could not accomplish if they put their minds to it and after plenty of practise, and the spells came easy to them. Harry and Ginny had also secretly made a few potions, and Harry found he really enjoyed the subject, it was like cooking, and that was the only thing he ever enjoyed that the Dursleys’ had made him do.

Harry had just recently found he had bought a book on Animagi, where people can turn into animals at will, and the two of them had started the brewing of a potion that reveals a persons form. The potion will not be ready for a few more days’ as it has to simmer on the flame for three days’, and Harry and Ginny could not wait to try the potion and see how long it takes until they can transform. The book states it can take from one to two years, sometimes longer. However, to transform you have to be able to feel your form and magic, and alter it to match what you saw and felt in a vision, induced by the potion.

Mrs. Weasley had caught Harry using controlled magic and had told him she was going to speak to Professor Dumbledore about it. When she returned she had said he was coming round the next day to speak with him about it. Harry was not sure why but he did not really trust Albus Dumbledore at all, he seemed all grandfatherly but Harry was sure when he looked into the old mans eyes, that something weird happened, and that Dumbledore was hiding something.

Harry was sitting in the living room alone, he had asked Ginny to stay upstairs after he related his misgivings of the old man, when the fire suddenly erupted into emerald flames Harry jumped and stared as Albus Dumbledore emerged.

“Harry, m’boy,” Dumbledore said jubilantly. “It’s good to see you looking so well,” he continued, his eyes twinkling uncontrollably.

“Hello sir,” Harry greeted as Dumbledore sat in a chair opposite him.

Dumbledore smiled. “Mrs. Weasley tells me that you have been showing signs of wandless magic,” Dumbledore said getting straight to the point.

Harry smiled slightly. “That depends, sir.”

Dumbledore frowned slightly in confusion, slightly in annoyance that he could not read the boy. “Depends on what, Harry?”

Harry smiled a bit more. “It depends whether you answer my questions truthfully.”

Dumbledores eyebrows shot up to his hairline, and the twinkle in his eyes diminished slightly. “I’ll try Harry, what is it you want to know?”

“Why did Voldemort want to kill me?” Harry asked innocently, something he learnt from Ginny.

Dumbledore was shocked, he did not expect that question so soon, and was definitely not going to tell him the truth, if he could help it, Harry would never learn the truth. “I’m sorry Harry I don’t know.”

Harry peered over his glasses letting them slip to the tip of his nose and stared Dumbledore straight in the eyes. Dumbledore was startled by this manoeuvre on the part of young Harry. He then felt as though, he was being judged. Harrys’ green eyes bored into his very soul, it felt similar to Legilimency, but his Occlumency barriers were useless against it.

Harry suddenly pushed his glasses up his nose and smiled sheepishly. “You’re lying.”

Those two little innocent words were a shock; Harry could somehow detect a lie without the use of Legilimency. Harry just sat there staring at him with sad eyes, and he could see the lack of trust he held for the Headmaster. Dumbledore did not know what to say or do. He could continue lying, but Harry would probably know, but then again, Harry seemed to need eye contact, but if Albus refused to look in his eyes, Harry would also know he is not being truthful.

Dumbledore sighed. “I’m sorry Harry, but you are too young to be told of such important things.”

Dumbledore, saw briefly a couple of conflicting emotions running wild in the boys’ eyes’, annoyance, anger and betrayal before they disappeared and the boy shrugged. “Whatever…” Harry said nonchalant. “Then why was I left at the Dursleys’?”

Dumbledore then shifted uncomfortably as he saw Harrys’ glasses slip down his nose again, and for reasons the old Headmaster could not explain he could not look away.

“You left me there,” Harry suddenly said. His eyes blazing with anger and barely restrained power as the boy pushed his glasses back up his nose. “Why would you leave me with people like them?” Dumbledore was shocked at Harrys’ calm, any normal kid might have shouted. Albus wished that Harry would shout. It was unnerving how calm the young boy was.

“Because,” Albus began, gulping. “Because of the blood wards around their house, as long as you were living with your mothers’ blood, you would be safe.”

Harry snorted; the first outward sign of emotion he had shown. “Yeah, safe from magic, but just as defenceless against being beaten to death.” Harry then stood up. “Sorry sir but we have nothing else to talk about, and I guess I’ll be seeing you at school.” Harry then strolled casually out of the room.

Albus Dumbledore was shocked and unnerved; it seemed Harry had a few special talents, one being wandless magic, and from what Molly Weasley told him it was exceedingly powerful, and that he may not ever actually need a wand. The second power was a complete mystery even to him; it seemed Harry could look into a person’s very soul. He shuddered at the thought.

Albus sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose, standing up. He had a weird feeling Harry was going to cause him a lot of grief, though, he was quite curious as to how Severus would interact with Harry in classes, knowing, Severus and James, Harrys’ father hated each other. It was a shame really, he was sure, Severus would immediately hate young Harry, and in turn Harry would loath the potions master back. However, Dumbledore had an inkling that Severus would loose, and loose big.

Shrugging with another sigh Dumbledore threw some floo powder into the fire and disappeared back to his office, to continue with his work, and to keep his eye on the defence against the dark arts teacher, and to make sure he doesn’t get his grubby paws on the Philosophers ’ Stone.

T.B.C…
Sign up to rate and review this story