Categories > TV > Dark Angel > We'll Fight Till The End!

No Good Deed

by Loralee_jk 0 reviews

Category: Dark Angel - Rating: G - Genres:  - Characters: Alec - Published: 2009-06-10 - Updated: 2009-06-10 - 1658 words

0Unrated
No Good Deed

Seth smiled at the familiar, yet some how calming smell of the room he was in. It smelled of books and something that reminded him of a rich girls bathroom he’d been in while on his little outing from Manticore. Perhaps it was calming because it was the smell of the rooms you would end up in after spending long time lengths in Phy-opps. Perhaps it was the smell of victory, for Seth had found the strength to live though it.


Almost another full year had past since X5-353 had been returned. He hadn’t spent his full time in phy-ops. It was all a cycle. Repeated every 4 months. 1st phy-ops, followed by recovery, then by various questioning ending with training to keep him on track. Only to be repeated another 2 times. Finally Seth was finished. Everyone that was required to had deemed him a pass. He was even ahead in his training. Everything was one-on-one so it had given Seth a much more real grasp of everything that was being thought or shown to him.


Seth looked up at the white ceiling and took a deep in-take of air. He was feeling much better then he had in weeks. Even months. In a couple of days he was going to be deployed into a new unit. Tho he was a little more then nervous for the greeting he was sure to get, he was happy. Happy to be having contact and maybe even conversations with people his own age. A chance to relax a little more.


&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&



Kat sat on her bunk bed above Amanda counting the tiles on the ceiling, when she suddenly looked at the light to force a sneeze. From across the room she could hear Tav snort a laugh at her. “You sound like a cat” He told her with a smile as he half hung off his bed watching a spider walk around the floor by his bed.


Kat groaned a little when she turned her body to face his direction. She watched him for a second, trying to see what he was doing when she saw the spider. “Why don’t you just kill it?” She asked in a monotone voice as if it was the only logical thing to do.

“Why would I? It’s not doing anything.” He told her. He laughed as she gave her usual response to all bugs. Claiming they were gross and ugly.


Steve had a deep short laugh at her comment. He was on the bottom of the bunk bed across from her with his head at the end. He turned onto his side so Kat could get a good look at his cocky grin. “So.” He said plainly. “You’re ugly. Should we kill you” He finished with a classic grin as he slightly pursed his lips. His grin turned into a smile when he saw the look of horror on her face and angry in her eyes as her mouth fell open clearly insulted as Tav bust out laughing.


“HEY! Uncalled for!” Amanda yelled at Steve loudly. But her comment had fallen on deaf ears because Steve had already joined Tav in his roaring laughter as they gave each other air high-fives. “Guys!” she yelled at them in astonishment. “It’s not funny!” Amanda had been on her way to climbing onto Kats bed when she heard the door un-latching and a deep, familiar voice was heard.


Dead silence filled the room except for the little snort of annoyance Tav made when he stepped on the spider he had been watching. All four backs went straighter and chins lifted higher as Donald Lydecker himself walking into the room. His eyes flickered quickly form person to person as he saw only four bodies in the room. “At ease.” He said walking to the middle of the room. “Due to the death of a member in this unit you will be gaining a new unit mate.” Lydecker watched one of the boys eyes, unsure of if they knew about 277 recent death or not. Clearly un-affected by this news he continued. “His designation is 353…. He will be here in 10 minutes or so. Hopefully the rest of your unit will be back by then.” He finished up with an almost look of discuss in his voice and on his face as he walked out of the room, closing the door loudly behind him.


Even after the men had all left and were without a doubt out of ear shot, no one said a word. No one even moved. A couple minutes passed by and the doors were heard opening and closing as Kyle walked in. Back from his personal writing assignment.


They had all been given different level assignments. Some physical and some mental. A few were a lot easier then others, which is why only a total of five stood in the barracks where twenty-eight used to be.


Kyle made an, almost kissing noise as he puckered his lips looking around. His black hair was now a couple inches long, but it all curdled up so it was hard to tell. His sun kissed skin hid his flushed face. He’d already picked up what was going on. He’d found out on his way to his writing assignment only 2 ½ hours ago. He’d already had time to let it sink in. Though he hadn’t been close with X5-277, or as they called her: Amara. He would still morn her loss. For every death that was made here. Made them all realize how much more real it was. And how nothing was permanent.


It wasn’t quiet for much longer when Steve spoke up in an oddly soft voice for himself. “I’m sorry kat.” He told her truthfully. He looked at her to see her nod a couple quick times as he watched the tears splash away from her cheeks. “I’m a... I know how close you two were.”


One of any of the boys would have walked over to comfort Kat, had it not been to out of character for them. So they let Amanda beat them to the punch as she hugged her tightly as muffled cries came from her shoulder.


The boys let the girls cry it out at one end of the room, as they all sat on the beds at the other. Neither of them shedding a tear. For the years had harden them all, and they no longer felt certain emotions. Sometimes they could feel bits and pieces of pity or sorrow. But then they would be gone.
Perhaps it was a self defense they had all created for themselves. Or maybe it was something more. Regardless of why it was there it helped. Most of the unit had adapted to it. Or maybe they had all closed each other out and that’s why it never hurt anymore. Or maybe, like it Kats position they just hadn’t lost someone close enough to them to really care.


&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&



In the next hour most of their unit had returned. Everyone had already heard the news before coming back so there was no need for a lot of talking. If anyone were to sit and watch this group of 12-14 year olds, they would of found it amazing at their ability to cope with such a situation. But in Manticore it was simply expected. To create a scene to big was only asking to be taken away. So everyone stayed quit. Even the halls around there room was quiet. By this point every unit had suffered a loss at one point or another. So it was only right for them to pay respect in their own ways. However the only thing they could do, was stay quiet.


&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&



Two hours had passed since Lydecker had promised to return before he finally appeared again at the door. He walked in leaving the door wide open with two uniformed men behind him and the presumed new comer behind them He turned his head towards Tav in Alecs absence given that he was SIC. “Number of unit mates!?” He asked surveying the room.

“22 sir!” 481 answered quickly, already subtracting 277 from his mental list of missing members. “We are still waiting for 5 unit mates to returns, Sir! ” He said loudly in a deep voice. Knowing full well that Lydecher didn’t know how many were still out.


Donald seemed to take in a deep breath before talking. “Very well. Bring him in anyway” He told his men. They stepped aside quickly to reveal their new unit mate.


He looked about 14 and was the same height as Steve. He had crystal blue eyes with a deep ocean blue at the edges of them. They especially stuck out due to his dirty blonde shaggy hair was covering his forehead. He stood with the posture of someone importance, keeping his back straight and chin high.


“This is 353.” Stated Lydecker. “He is a survivor of 599s unit. It is expected that you all treat him with the same respect you show each other. Anyone who decides they want to start a fight…The parchment WILL be severe. AM I understood!?” He barked at the 22 soldiers in the room, knowing full well that one was bound to try to pick a fight with their new recruit. “Good. Pass the word on to the rest of your unit mates.” He said to no one in particular as he again left their barracks followed by the two uniformed men.


Everyone stood in the room looking at X5-353, unsure of what to make of him. Before anyone had decided what to do another unit mate walked into the room.


Alec opened the door to see most of his unit already back along with a newcomer he didn’t recognize. And he knew everyone there was to know. “Who is this idiot?” Alec glared. Clearly unimpressed.








REVIEW!!!!
Sign up to rate and review this story