Categories > Celebrities > Guns n' Roses > Broken Wings

The Wedding and Memories

by ILuvTracii 0 reviews

In which the title says it all . . .

Category: Guns n' Roses - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Published: 2009-06-26 - Updated: 2009-06-27 - 1427 words - Complete

0Unrated
Vanessa stood in front of the floor length mirror, smoothing the front of her loose white hippie dress over her five month pregnant stomach and adjusted the handmade lace veil falling over her head. This was it. This was her and Duff’s wedding day. She was happy. She was finally getting married to the man she loved. The man that loved her. If she was so happy, then why in the Hell did she feel so much guilt?
Guilt over leaving Axl? Or guilt over lying to him for so long? Lying to him about her and Duff’s affair. Lying to him about Brandon’s paternity? Did she really ever love him? Of course she did, but not like he loved Duff. Axl was more of a . . . loving, respected tolerance. Duff was full-blown, I-can’t-live-without-you-love. It always was. Or was she simply with him just to see Duff? That was also a very good question. One that she did not want to think about or answer right now. Not on her wedding day. Her glorious, beautiful wedding day.
She looked down instead.
It was most strange, Vanessa thought, To have an actual engagement ring (well, soon to be wedding ring) on my ring finger. The cool diamond inlayed ring soon warmed in response to her body temperature, but the initial chill had shocked her.
That wasn’t to say, of course, that she’d never worn rings on that finger before. Despite never being one for much jewelry, the occasional shine of something pretty would catch her eye and was shoved onto whichever finger it fit best. However . . .
None of those rings meant anything like this one did. There had only ever been one other to make her shiver, though that had been in sheer happiness and grief. The beautifully beaded ruby that Axl have given her that once adorned her finger, had healed one of the many cracks in Vanessa’s heart, even as it shattered a bit more.
Some days, when Duff was away at the recording studio with Velvet Revolver and Brandon was at school; Vanessa would remove the warm metal band and slid on the delicate ring that symbolized her first marriage; the marriage of deceit. She would gaze into the lighted vanity mirror and willed her mind to show the girl that she had once been, rather than the woman that she was now and she would immediately think of Axl. Then her eyes would drift shut and she’d once more be in Duff’s arms, surrounded by the scent of his beloved cologne. A small kiss was always placed on the most sensitive spot of her neck, the spot that always made her breath catch and her heart jump as his large, pale yet seemingly always warm hands would caress her stomach, marveling at the child growing inside.
They hoped that it was a girl.
She heard footsteps on the hardwood floor and she turned around, just as Sheri and Duff’s mother opened the doorway. Sheri beamed, her shoulder-length honey blonde hair was accented by her sapphire blue matron-of-honor gown, and a tear fell down her cheeks, as did Alice’s.
“You beautiful honey . . .” Sheri choked out and I smiled and looked down. Alice nodded in agreement.
“You look positively radiant,” Sheri sniffed and nodded, trying her damndest to hold back her tears.
“We’re almost ready,” she then turned to Alice. “Can you make sure that everyone is in their place Mrs. McKagan?” Alice nodded, immediately sensing that Sheri wanted to talk to her about something.
“I’ll be right back dears,” she said before she left, closing the door silently behind her. Sheri then stepped forward and placed a rose in her hair.
“We’re ready . . .” she sighed and paused as she searched Vanessa’s face. “. . . Are you?” Vanessa nodded and smiled.
“ . . . Yes. I’ve always been ready,” Sheri smiled a small smile and stepped back as Alice entered the room again. She nodded.
“Time to marry the love of your young life Vanessa dear,”
*
They chose to get married at sunset, on a beach in the Caman Islands. It was a beautiful beach, and Slash would get the honor of walking her down the aisle. Duff originally proposed the idea and she agreed whole heartily with it alongside the circumstances that he would not give her an Indian Rub Burn before she was to take her place across from Duff.
The music started up once the bridesmaids and best men took their places and everyone stood up for the bride. Vanessa took a deep breath and walked down the aisle, her eyes on Duff the entire time. Why was she searching for something? And what was she searching for? Regret? Happiness? Fear? But as she got closer to him, happiness was the only thing echoing in his eyes and she realized that he wanted this as much as she did.
They stopped and Slash gave her to Duff, but not without turning to him first, “I swear to God Duff . . . if you hurt her . . . I will unleash the wrath of Hell onto you, so fast, that your blonde head with spin,” the whole place erupted into laughter and Duff turned his eyes on Vanessa.
“I wouldn’t even think about it,” he said quietly and she grinned as she stepped in front of him and they grasped hands before the Court Marshal started,
“Family and friends, you are welcomed here today to take part in the unity of Vanessa Ann Hudson and Michael Andrew McKagan, in holy matrimony. If anyone here today, has any objections to this union, stand now or forever hold your peace,” There was a pregnant pause after that and Vanessa could see the uneasiness flickering in Duff’s eyes. She squeezed his hands in comfort, but she had the same as well.
What if Axl came? Would he object or would he allow them to go through with it.
When the Court Marshal started up again, Duff and Vanessa let out a grateful sigh. Thank God in Heaven, Vanessa though in relief.
“The couple will now say their vows to each other,” Vanessa and Duff smiled as Brandon stepped forward, the two rings on the lacy pillow. Vanessa took one and began,
“I, Vanessa Ann Hudson, take you, Michael Andrew McKagan, to be my husband, secure in the knowledge that you will be my constant friend, my faithful partner in life, and my one true love. On this special day, I give to you, in the presence of God and all those in attendance, my sacred promise to stay by your side as your faithful wife, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, as well as through the good times and the bad. I promise to love you without reservation, comfort you in times of distress, encourage you to achieve all of your goals, laugh with you and cry with you, grow with you in mind and spirit, always be open and honest with you, and cherish you for as long as we both shall live,” the Court Marshal nodded as she put the ring on Duff’s finger. He then picked up the ring and began,
“I, Michael Andrew Mckagan, take you, Vanessa Ann Hudson, to be my wife, knowing in my heart that you will be my constant friend, my faithful partner in life, and my one true love. On this special day, I give to you in the presence of God and all those in attendance, my sacred promise to stay by your side as your faithful husband in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, as well as through the good times and the bad. I further promise to love you without reservation, honor and respect you, provide for your needs as best I can, protect you from harm, comfort you in times of distress, grow with you in mind and spirit, always be open and honest with you, and cherish you for as long as we both shall live.” he slipped the ring on her finger and the Court Marshal began again,
“I now pronounce you, husband and wife. You may kiss the bride,” Duff leaned down and put his hands on her neck where he kissed her. She grinned and kissed him back (forcing herself to be tame) until they broke apart. His lips were inches from hers and they both grinned.
“I love you Michael,” she whispered and his grin got bigger.
“I love you too . . . Vanessa McKagan,”
Sign up to rate and review this story