Categories > Games > Final Fantasy 8 > Winter's Child

Chapter 01

by BBC7Fan 0 reviews

When Shiva took on human form to attend Deling City's Eden Festival, she hadn't counted on falling in love with local monster hunter Marin Loire.

Category: Final Fantasy 8 - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Laguna - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-04-06 - Updated: 2006-04-06 - 388 words

0Unrated
The early morning streets of Deling City were a-bustle with preparations for the annual Eden Festival. Sweepers rid the curbs of stray trash while road crews touched up the streets' markings and filled in the cracks.

Shopkeepers polished their windows and touched up their signs while employees cleaned up the sidewalks, and passed the time of day by whistling or humming favourite tunes.

Restaurants had serving tables set up outside and the aromas of food filled the air and had much of the crowd itching to try whatever new recipes the chefs had created for the festival. It was, after all, an Eden Festival tradition for the top chef from each restaurant or cafe to attempt a new masterpiece for the crowd to try.

"Good morning, Rin." One of the shopkeepers called to a friend of his as the young man passed by. "Looking forward to the festivities?"

"As always," Marin Loire grinned, his eyes a-twinkle.

Marin had been a regular visitor at the annual festival since he'd fled his simple home in the seaside township of Esthar to escape the terrible reign of the Sorceress Adel four years ago when he'd still been a teenager.

He was a handsome young man in his early twenties now, with saddlebrown eyes and jet black hair worn down to his waist, bound up in the type of decorative wrap that the men of Deling City wore to festivals such as this one.

"It's going to be another good one this year," Marin commented. "The hotel chef's got something really incredible this year or my nose is a liar."

"Both our noses are deceivers if that's the case," the shopkeeper agreed. "I must agree it smelled wonderful. How's work these days?"

"Business is thriving, unfortunately," Marin sighed. "The monsters are probably worse in Esthar, though. I wonder if anyone there is still alive."

"Despots rarely kill off an entire town," the shopkeeper remarked. "But, come now. Today's the Eden Festival. This is not the time for lamentation."

"You're right." Marin agreed.

"I have to get back to this," he indicated the storefront with a sweeping gesture. "But perhaps I'll see you at the parade?"

"Perhaps so," Marin agreed as the shopkeeper resumed his chores and he strolled away, eyes watchful for any stray monsters that might try to disrupt the festival.
Sign up to rate and review this story