Categories > Original > Fantasy > Darkness Rising

Darkness Rising

by HazyDreams91 0 reviews

What would you do if a man came to you asking for his queen? Well, this is the story of what I would do and how things would go down.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2009-08-22 - Updated: 2010-08-30 - 2981 words

0Unrated

[The story, setting and characters have been made by the author HazyDreams91 and all rights are reserved.]






Darkness Rising



“I always pictured myself in the future living with my parents for a while, making adjustments to my existence and in time rent an apartment. Maybe have a roommate, maybe not. Heck, I was expecting to become president if I played my cards right. But nothing I imagined could have prepared me with what I was faced with now… nothing…”





Chapter 1

“Damn…” I said to the mess I had created on the floor, it wasn’t like I was inside a house or anything but the ice cream I had been eating was good. Now I would never know if it would satisfy my sweet tooth. Royal Oaks Park was usually clean, it was quiet most of the time too; if there weren’t crazy little kids running around screaming. The sun was about to set and I had to get home, one way or another. “Elizabeth… you eat like a 2 year old.” My friend that sat next to me said as she finished eating her ice cream as well, they had been those tasty pineapple and cherry big sticks that usually quenched my thirst if I was out in the hot sun. “Don’t we all?” I said, not really knowing what I meant by that. I usually say things just to say them. Sometimes I do plan out what I say, most of the time its nothing special, just things that need to be said in a particular way. I jumped off the table we were currently using and picked up the dirt covered melting ice cream, it was still cool and I was tempted to eat it anyway so I quickly ran over to the trash bin located close to the swings set that sat almost in the middle of the quiet park, and threw the remains into the black trash can that smelled oddly like rotten bananas and tacos. Odd combination indeed.
My friend was clicking away on her black berry pearl as she stuck her hand out and pointed the popsicle stick at me, she tilted her head up to see me and smiled. I sighed, already knowing what she wanted me to do. “Fine…” I groaned, she always asked me in her own way to throw her trash away; I didn’t mind at all, it was just another good deed I suppose. I stared at her for a few seconds, admiring her appearance. She was pretty and always dressed really nice, not only that, she always had her hair straight and shiny. Not many girls could achieve that, although I knew it cost her lots of her time to just get half of her head the way it was. Her skin was a nice dark tan, although her tan was because of her family genes, sometimes it seemed like she was just tanned from the sun. All in all, I think a guy would find her beautiful if they laid their eyes on her.
I walked to the trash can again, throwing the wooden stick away, and then back to where I was relaxing with my friend, I sat next to her. I was the exact opposite from her, in appearance at least. While she’s a dark tan I am a pale skinned girl, compliments of my mother. I have the curves of a washboard, and she has the curves of an hour glass. I’m almost flat from all around except my tiny figure allowed me to have some curves because of my tiny waist. I dress normal; pants and colorful shirts, no accessories other than my class ring, necklace, and my earrings. I have the most voluptuous hair in the world, but it is also the thickest and hard to control. My hair isn’t straight and pretty like my friends, but wavy and curly at times. The only good thing about it is the color, which is a dark chocolate brown almost like the color of my eyes.
The only things I do like about myself are my eyes and lips. My lips are plump, and not inflated like balloons; they have all the right curves in the right places. My eyes are almond shaped, fooling people into believing I am some type of Asian, although I see no resemblance. I guess this is what some guys would call cute. But then again, I do have low self-esteem when it comes to my looks, I’m not that optimistic. I’m okay I suppose, but people do compliment me on my looks at times so little by little I gain confidence, it’s all a matter of perspective I presume.
After a few seconds of admiring my friends crisp clean appearance, I snatched the Popsicle stick from her hand and quickly made my way back to the trash can. When I returned, Desirea, my friend, had her hands on either side of her legs and supported herself up as she leaned back with her eyes clothes. It was fresh underneath the trees, no wonder she felt relaxed in all this heat. “Hey, it’s getting pretty late. Shouldn’t we be heading back now?” She opened her eyes and sighed. “Yes, it is…but I don’t have anywhere I need to be…” I sat next to her and looked beyond her figure at two kids playing hide and seek behind the 7 foot tall bushes. One seemed to be annoyed with the other; I thought I heard one of them call the other a cheater a minute before they started to chase each other around the park. It was nice to be a kid, except that there’s no freedom to do what you want to do.
“I know, but I have to get home before a certain time. I don’t want this to be the last time we hang out together…” Desirea turned to face me with a somewhat irritated look. “You’re 18; you can do what you want. You don’t need permission to go anywhere you please.” I sighed as I lay on the table top and extended my hand over my eyes to see my ring, I twirled it about. “I wish it was true… but freedom comes with a cost. And that cost just happens to be my bed, room, and home. I don’t think I’d give all of that up till I have a stable job, learn how to drive, and have my own apartment. I need all these things for now, and till you come back from school, I wont be able to afford an apartment on my own, even if I do have a job.” I closed my eyes and placed my hand over my eyes, shielding the sun that was beginning to irritate them. “You have a messed up family you know that right? Not to be mean but it’s true…”
I sighed again. “Yes…I know I do… I live with them everyday. I’d have to know that by now.” At the moment my mind went blank and an image of a sword popped into my head. I laughed at that; why in the world would I think about that? “What’s so funny?” Desirea asked me, I smiled. “Nothing…it’s not important.” She leaned over me and poked me on my stomach. “Tell meeeee.” She began with her little kid voice, a curious child. “If its not important then tell me, I want to know.” I sat back up and turned to face her. “It’s nothing I swear.
I just had a picture of a sword abruptly pop into my mind. I guess I’ve been watching too many medieval movies.” At the moment the thought had been innocent, nothing special. It wasn’t like I knew the meaning of the object I just visualized. She frowned, disappointed no doubt. “Oh…” That was the last thing we said to each other before I decided to call my parents to pick me up. It was too hot to be outside and I actually wanted to avoid any problems with my parents.
As soon as I got home I called Desirea again, talked for a bit then said good night since I was going to take a shower. She didn’t like talking on the phone anyways; she said it was a bit awkward. I didn’t want her to feel any discomfort because of me. After my shower it was the usual routine. Brush my teeth, wash my face, put creams on it, then take my contacts out and sit in my room trying to fall asleep. But for some odd reason, this night I decided not to do everything as I’ve always done.
If anything I wanted to reminisce on the old days when me and Desirea use to write like hell in compositions books and paper, not to mention the countless pictures we drew. We had an active imagination, and together we created lots of great work, even though we sucked at it in 7th, 8th, 9th, and some of 10th grade. But the ideas were always really good, it’s just we couldn’t put our work that well in writing sometimes. But the artwork was pretty good in senior year; we had 5 years of practice after all. We are odd friends, different yet the same in everyway possible. Don’t know how that works, but I guess it does.
I sat on the floor, reading composition book after composition book. Laughing and smiling all the way to the end of each story, nothing made me happier than to see what suckers we were for love, violence, and gore back in the days; especially love. At about 3 in the morning I began to get weary of sitting on the cold floor, my body was calling out for the soft warmth of my bed. It wept in pain from the awkward position I was sitting in. “Oh goodness…” I groaned as I slowly stood up and placed all the past junk into its box. I closed the top off and headed over to the other side of my room, just as I was about to cross the first picture hanging from my wall, I got a cold chill. I stopped halfway to my destination. For a few seconds I just stood there with a blank look on my face. Then I shook my head and snapped out of my trance. “Goodness… I’m going insane.” I laughed a bit out of nervousness, the cold aura tingled my entire body, like something was coming this way. “How weird…” I laughed again, but this time it was shaky, all the lights were on so it wasn’t the dark that was putting me on edge.
I was about to take a step when I heard a strange sound coming from my walls. It was like stone breaking, or maybe lighting? Maybe it sounded like the earth shaking, the sound the houses make before the entire floor begins to tilt back and forth. It was so new to me, I couldn’t exactly describe the noise; it was too alien to me. I leaned down to see if maybe it was the floor wood I was stepping on, although it was absurd that a girl who weighed less than 125 pounds could cause such a racket. As soon as I leaned down to look at the floor a force pushed me back into my own room wall, making my entire back and head sting with new injuries. For a few seconds I blacked out, but I regained my consciousness as quick as id lost it and opened my eyes only to find a huge cloud of dust cloaking my view of whatever had caused the damage. But there had been something strange about this whole situation, there’d been a bright light just before I went flying back. Had it been a meteor?
I groaned in pain as I attempted to stand up on my feet, but found it hard to keep my balance. I fell twice before finally gaining the right stability on my legs, although my head was killing me. I looked at the ground, pieces of wood were scattered all over it, like something had indeed crash landed in my room. But the oddest thing was that feathers were also spread out among the fragments; black feathers. “A…bird?” It couldn’t be physically possible for a bird to cause such wreckage…could it? I coughed a few times before advancing forward into the dust clouds that began to settle. There was no hole in any of my walls, except for where I had been flung to earlier. How could that be? It didn’t make sense, how had this situation happened?
I made my way across my room; a trickle of water fell on my back, making me shiver. I didn’t bother to wipe it off; I was concerned with other important matters. The dust was now only halfway down and it seemed to only cover the floor where the object of destruction was. But it was quickly being revealed by the AC that had just turned on. It took me only a moment to realize that it wasn’t an ordinary disaster at all. I turned around to look at my door; I was surprised to see that no one had burst into my room asking what was going on. It was a loud blast of whatever this was, and I know at least the neighbors had heard it. After taking a moment to think for a rational explanation of the effects of this whole ordeal, I turned back around to look at the ground again where the dust had now settled.
My eyes widened in shock and I felt the warm blood rush to my face. I covered my mouth and turned around quickly, I walked over to the other side of my room where the bed covered the cause of this destruction. I paced back and forth, eyes still wide and face still pink. There, on the other side of my bed, laid a naked man. A tan naked man with wings attached to his back. Black wings. “Oh goodness… I’m dreaming…I’m dreaming… things like this don’t happen….go to sleep…go to sleep…NO! I mean wake up! Wake up!” It was evident that things like this don’t happen to me, or anyone for that matter. After a moment of almost loosing my sanity, I slowly walked back with caution to the man. I was embarrassed at seeing a naked body, especially when they had it so well done. It wasn’t my fault women liked pretty things; most girls would be hysterical if they had the chance to have men fall from the sky into your room with a perfect body. Well… I was, but not in a good way.
My dad and mom would kill me if they saw a boy in my room, a naked man that looked dead would kill them from shock. A dead man…oh goodness. Maybe the guy was dead after all. I walked a few more inches towards him, making sure I was being quiet. I leaned down to take a closer look at his…wings. He was faced down, so I couldn’t see his features, I reached out and touched a feather. I abruptly pulled back, afraid something might happen. Moments passed and he continued to stay still, after that, I reached out again to touch his wings, this time more firm and gentler. They were soft, like velvet. It was weird; I thought they would feel like… well… not soft, just rough. I smiled in contentment, it wasn’t everyday you get the chance to touch genuine wings on a person. Now I could say I felt a half bird, half mans wings in the future, in case anyone asked.
My smile faded when I realized what I was doing, people don’t just touch other people like that without their permission, but then again he was dead… or so I thought. I was about to touch his shoulder to try and flip him over when his wings began to flap wildly among the room, forcing me to back away. I was going to run at that point, the dude wasn’t dead and I wasn’t about to find out why he was naked either. But, as fate would have it I wasn’t feeling too well to run and my back pain was starting to catch up finally.
The man had woken from his slumber, and was now half way up. He had one had on my bed and one hand on my floor; he was probably feeling worse than I was. His hair was so long, it covered his face. It was black. Just like his wings. He turned to look at me, his dark eyes scaring the crud out of me. If he was a rapist I was screwed, literally. There was no way that me, a girl who barely had a muscle in her body, could over power the guy who had the worlds perfectly toned abs. The hell with my back, I’d take care of it later when I’m in the hospital, it was running time. Just as I turned to run I felt something in me freeze, like my entire organism was being taken over. I turned around unwillingly, no control of what I was doing and faced the guy. By now he was up and looking at me, sword in hand, pointing in my direction.


[Do you think I should continue my story? Then say so. Review and Rate please.]
Sign up to rate and review this story