Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Who Really Needs The Past With The Allure Of Something New?

Chapter 2

by -gabrielleanne 0 reviews

I wasn’t exactly sure why she was getting so extremely overworked about her boyfriend, Duane Stoermer, and his nephew coming over for supper. Although I knew it promised to be loads of fun. Not.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Romance - Published: 2009-10-06 - Updated: 2009-10-07 - 7752 words

0Unrated
I sprawled cat like over the entire three seater couch on a Saturday night rarely looking away from the television. The only time my attention was stolen away from the crappy programs on the screen was spent giving my mother quick bemused looks over my shoulder as she scampered around the house. She collected her make-up, clothes, and fixing up anything that looked in the slightest askew or out of place. I heard a loud bang from behind me, and tore my vision away from the television to watch my mother climbing up the stairs on her hands and knees like a child, swearing loudly. I laughed and returned my attention back to the TV.

I wasn’t exactly sure why she was getting so extremely overworked about her boyfriend, Duane Stoermer, and his nephew coming over for supper. Although I knew it promised to be loads of fun.

Not.

He was probably only bringing over his nephew, Mike, since he apparently wanted me to go out with him. Duane thought that my idea of boys was absolute garbage. He and my Mum had come to pick me up from school the other week, and he saw me waiting with Spencer and Ryan at the entrance of my toture hole (school). He even had actually had the nerve to ask me if I was having a nice chat with ‘the girls’, before laughing rudely. I snorted and rolled my eyes in the back seat as I buckled myself in.

“Duane, they’re boys-,” I said. In my mind I imagined myself as an optometrist prescribing him a very strong pair of glasses that made him resemble an owl. Alright, so if you haven’t yet figured out that I’m definitely, er- well, unique, yet, that probably just proved that I was a complete nutter. I shook myself out of the thought of myself in a white coat.

“Could have fooled me! Aren’t those girl pants? Hah! And their hair…” He snorted. I tutted. Poor Duane. His deranged mind made him think he must have been witty. My mom laughed like a loon, trying to impress Mr. Stoermer. It didn’t help. He just raised his eyebrow, and drove off, with mum being quiet and all smiley in the front seat, trying to make a conversation with Duane. I was just sitting, slumped in the backseat with my arms crossed, in a murderous rage towards Duane for insulting the only people that didn’t make fun of me.

A loud curseword from my mother snapped me out of my thoughts. There was a loud thump from upstairs. I laughed again at my mum’s expense. I flipped through the channels once more, even though it was completely pointless. There wasn’t anything good on; this American TV was boring and stupid. I tried to watch Deal or No Deal and I could actually feel my brain cells diminish slowly. If there was ever an award for most idioctic show on the telly, this would get the blue ribbon.

“GET BLOODY READY, DELILAH. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A FORMAL DINNER, NOT A TRIP TO THE ZOO!” My mum’s stressed voice rang through the normally quiet and peaceful house. Well she shrieked it, actually.

I rolled my eyes, and ignored her insult. “I DON’T WANT TO GET OUT OF MY JIMJAMS, MUM.” I yelled back, justifying myself. I turned off the TV, feeling quite defeated by the terrible programming.

I jumped off of the couch robotically. I could hear my cell phone ring from my room, even over my mother’s clatters and bangs. I ran towards the staircase, and hurtled up them, skipping every second step. I took a sharp left, ploughing through my door frame and taking a leap onto my bed, fumbling through my unkempt sheets for my cell phone. I picked it up, and heard a distinct and most recognizable laughter on the other end. The caller ID read, Home. I slammed the phone down back on my bed.

I shouted, “BLOODY HELL MUM! YOU’RE THE ONE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SODDING BILL EVERY MONTH!” And slammed my door closed, my windows rattling in protest.

“JUST GET READY.” Her laughter echoed through my door, which made me want to absolutely punch something. I shuffled over to my computer and opened up my iTunes. I clicked on the only screamo music I had, and turned my speakers on full blast.

“Haha. Let’s see who can be more irritating, Mum.” I said under my breath, forlornly.

*

“Is that the best you can do, dear?” Mum broke off a hanging piece of thread from my shirt. I rolled my eyes. Nothing would do for her, I suppose. Even if I dressed exactly like her, she wouldn’t be pleased. But dressing like a grandmum wasn’t my idea of fashion, anyways. I straightened out my shirt. It was one of my favourites. It was more of a dress. I found it in an old vintage shop back in London. The thin, white material ended just around my hip bones. I especially enjoyed the little yellow and pink flowers that were placed in a pattern. Underneath I wore my teal spandex short shorts. I had even curled my hair.

“The hair, mum.” I said simply, jumping back on the sofa, with my cell tucked in my pocket this time. She walked into the kitchen, probably to tidy something else, or to tend to supper. I can’t say that I cared what she was doing, as long as she was out of my face for the next minute or so.

“It’s wonderful, darling.” She soothed. I rolled my eyes, knowing very well enough that she hadn’t even paid it a glance at it before departing from the room. “Tell me when you see Duane’s car come up, will you?” I played with my phone in my hands, sliding it open and closed. I jumped a little as the phone started to vibrate, and glowing little text on its screen read New Txt Msg: Ryan.

I put my cursor over open. I loved when I got text messages when I looked at the screen, but I was a little nervous that Ryan, of all people, was texting me.

It read: “Hey, what are you doing tonight?” I sighed, wishing that my mum had given me the slip, and let me just stay up in my room for the whole night. My fingers quickly slipped over the dial pad, spelling out a response.

“Dining with Hitler and Co. Why?” I couldn’t help but be a little curious, wondering why he was asking if I was busy. I secretly hoped that he was offering to hang out with me, even though there was no way in hell my mum would let me out of this bloody house for the next five hours. Just because of this promise for feigned cheerful chatting, and awkward moments between the four of us. The only positive thing about tonight was that I didn’t have to heat myself up something disgusting and frozen from the freezer. I glanced outside, just as a beige car pulled up to the front of our house.

“Eurg. Mum, they’re here.” I said, rudely and bluntly, hoping for her to understand that her loving daughter was not pleased. She came bustling into the room, heels clicking on the linoleum kitchen floor as she shuffled as fast as she could. She really just looked like a wounded badger. The doorbell rang as I stood in angst, waiting for the dinner to already be over.

My mum opened the door with a fake and high-pitched, “Hello! How are you two tonight?” which would have made me laugh out loud if she wasn’t trying to get me to make a charming impression. Mr. Stoermer shuffled in, and gave my mother a forced hug and kiss on her cheek, taking very strong measures to ignore my glances at him.

A boy with short blonde hair that was spiked, walked into the hallway, greeting my mother by shaking her hand. Even though I was about six feet away from him, I could tell that he was a lot taller than myself. But who isn’t, really? I’m a bloody midget. I can’t lie, he was very toned. Actually, it looked like he was flexing every muscle in his arms, even though his arms were held loosely at his sides. I shuffled a bit backwards, because he looked like he belong in the military, and he was quite frightening. I prayed that he had the personality of a teddy bear. He was good looking, though. My mom shuffled, like she was trying to start a new dance, over to me and guided me back to Duane and his nephew.

“Hallo.” I was quiet. Duane was already taking his shoes off, he gave a blunt nod, without even looking at me. Practically ignoring me once more, which was completely unnoticed by my mother. I hate how my mum pretends that Duane thinks I’m a little angel, when in reality, he’d prefer to have stepped something smelly than be polite to me.

Duane’s nephew stood stiffly with his wide shoulders almost as flat as a tabletop. Forced introductions never really appealed to me. My mom giggled again, as Duane gave my mom another peck on the cheek, and thanked her for having him and his Nephew over.

“This is Mike, Duane’s Nephew.” Mum said, swooning over Duane. I rolled my eyes, and I think that Mike saw, but he didn’t seem to move a muscle. Which must have been really hard for him since he was all muscle.

I feigned a smile. “I’m Delilah.” He held out his hand, and as I shook it, he nearly crushed it to dust. Mum lead the three of us into the dining room, where there were candles and flowers irregularly placed around the table and in the room. Bless her- you can’t blame her for trying. I sat down, and much to my dislike, Mike sat beside me. Out of all the bloody chairs, why the one next to me? I slouched over my plate, acting antisocial.

“Supper’s almost done. Let me just go get it, and I can serve it. Be right back, try not to have too much fun without me.” Mum shuffled into the kitchen again, with a breathless smile on her face, out of sight, leaving me in a very awkward position. No one spoke, or moved. I barely even breathed. I turned to Mike, trying to at least not be a bad hostess, as mum would call it.

“So, you’re Duane’s nephew?” It probably sounded very forced and like an insincere question. Which it really was.

Duane interjected. “Well, more of a son, really. My brother left his wife and moved to Mexico, and then she got herself into a car crash.” He said, unloving. “And Mike came to live with me, and we’ve become very close.” I nodded, praying that my mum would come back in with supper. My cell phone started to vibrate in my pocket. It was probably Ryan. I decided that I didn’t care what Duane or Mike thought, I pulled out my black phone, and read Ryan’s text message underneath the table, making sure to tilt it just enough so that the letters on my screen would be illegible to Mike. I had to look like I was just resting my head on my hand. I was more frightened of Duane catching me using my cellphone at the dinner table than I was of my math teacher catching me using it in class.

‘Call me? =)’

I didn’t know what to think. Ryan wanted me to call him? I had to say, I was definitely more than a little excited. I excused myself from the table, saying that I had to visit the lavatory. I ran upstairs, and closed the loo door. I sat on the toilet seat, and looked through my contact list to find Ryan’s name. I pressed send, and then pushed the phone up against my ear. It rang. I froze, not knowing what to say to him. I was wondering why he wanted me to call him. It rang again. I fumbled with my phone in my hand, switching ears impatiently. It rung once more, halfway through the ring, I heard a click and then a faint,

“Hello?”

“Ryan?” I asked, unsure; since this was the first time hearing his voice over the phone.

“Hey, Delilah.” I was waiting for him to explain why he had wanted me to call him. “One sec.” I relaxed a little, taking a few deep breaths. For some reason, I felt nervous. I could hear him chatting with some one else at a quick and impatient pace. There was music in the background, and even if I wanted to eavesdrop, there was no way that I could.

“Hello?” I asked again, making sure that he still knew that I was on the other line, waiting for him.

“Sorry about that. But, hey, I was wondering if you could ditch? There are a few people here, well, at Brendon’s, and we- Ow, don’t punch me.” I smiled. “Alright, I was wondering if you wanted to come and hang with us.” I became nervous again, and I really wanted to say yes. I just wanted to scream it, actually, and jump up and down in the lavatory with excitement.

“Ryan, I would love to- but my mum has assured herself that this dinner is really important.” I said, reasoning my words, and probably sounding sad. I hoped that I didn’t. I really didn’t want to sound like a depressed freak.

“Oh, well maybe some other time then?” Ryan’s voice sounded kind of dissapointed. He was so bloody cute. Oh dear lord. Mum was going to hate me.

“Well, maybe you could pop by later?” I said, hurridly. I peeked my head out of the loo door, and looked at the grandfather clock down the hallway. It read six thirty-four. I knew that my mum would want to drag this dinner on until dawn.

“What about eight?” He offered. I wasn’t satisfied with the time, since my mum probably wouldn’t let me leave until she had finished her plate off, which would take a few hours since she probably wasn’t planning on ceasing to talk long enough to actually finish her plate off.

“Yeah, sounds good. Which bus should I take?”

“Don’t worry, Bren and I will come pick you up.”

“Awe, well thanks! I’m definitely excited. See you soon?”

“Of course! Bye!” He replied, almost too happily.

“Bye!” I said, as equally ecstatic. I slid the phone closed once more, and then I jumped up, excitedly. I played with my hair a little, and then went back down stairs. Everyone was already having a ‘merry’ chat, and I slipped in the room, avoiding evil glances from my mother.

“Sorry. I felt ill.” I said. Unfortunately for me, Mike turned to me, and started attempted to make a conversation.

*

Much to my dismay, we had been sitting here for the last hour, and we’d just finished the first course- salad. Knowing my mother, who was absolutely mental, by the way, there would be another course, something hearty and fattening like pasta. Well, it wasn’t fattening, but I was still worried about my weight. And then, of course, dessert would follow. It might’ve been just because I was planning on skivving of the dinner half way through, but the salad was enough to fill me up.

I swerved a particularly green piece of lettuce around in a pool of salad dressing as Mike continued to tempt me into conversation. It turned out that he actually did belong to the military for a year or so, but he gave up to be a realtor. It surprised me that he had a job. I sort of just assumed he’d lived with Duane for free room and board. It looked like Duane was too cold to let his own nephew live in his house without paying for rent.

Mike was twenty-four years old. Six years older than me. And actually, he didn’t have a personality like a teddy bear, but he did have a brain like one. I swear, full of nothing but fluff. I found it frustrating having to rephrase a lot of the stuff he couldn’t understand.

He kept telling me that he had just recently broken up with his girlfriend and that he was single and looking. I hoped that he wasn’t trying to drop me a subtle hint, because I wasn’t interested. At all.

I kept glancing at the clock. Mike seemed to be dissappointed that I wasn’t as interested in him as I was the clock. He was still talking, but I had zoned out. I was going to have to fix my hair up. It was a given. I curled my hair in about three minutes, and it now just looked like a tangled clump. I also had to fix up my make-up before I left. I had already determined I was going to use the, ‘I think I’m ill, I’m just going to lay down for a while’ excuse at around 7:45. That’d give me exactly fifteen minutes to get ready. It was 7:30 when my mum walked back to the kitchen for seconds and refills on drinks. She was kind of naive, because she kept giving me soda, while they all sipped wine out of beautiful stemmed glaswear. I was all right with it since wine is sort of gross.

Duane looked at me.

“So, I think that you and Mike would make a good couple, eh? What do you think, Delilah?” He ushered. I wished he’d just leave that entire topic alone. It wasn’t going to happen. I shrugged, not wanting to offend Mike. He was good looking, but he wasn’t really what I was interested in, and he was much more older than me. Plus, he really was as dumb as a lampshade.

“Oh, now c’mon. You’d make a great couple. He’s loving, and caring, and has got a good sense of humor, and then there’s you.” This statement confused me. First of all, Mike hadn’t shown any care or love the whole evening, and especially not a good sense of humor. And secondly Duane had said, ‘and then there’s you’ in that strange, derogatory way. Which could mean god knows what. I nodded, and pretended that I was in thought. Mike was quiet and still. I think that he must have been confused, too. No real surprise there, though.

“I think I could set up something for you two. You know, to get to know each other better.”

“Oh! What a great idea, Duane! They would be so cute together!” Oh dear lord. Thanks, mum. You’re such a bloody help. What were those two playing at? We would not look like a good couple since I was frail and small, and he was tall and muscle-y.

We ate in silence. I hopefully looked over my shoulder at the clock. 7:43. It was good enough for me. I had been picking at my plate for the last fifteen or so minutes, trying to bide my time. I looked at my mum with my best ‘fake ill’ look, executing plan ‘ditch Hitler and co.’

“Oh dear, Delilah, are you alright?” She asked, concerned. I gave myself a hive five inside.

“I still feel really ill, mum.”

“Well, then. You may be excused. Don’t forget to say goodnight to our guests.” I stood up, and limped a little to the right. Perhaps it was a little dramatic, but my mum ate that stuff up.

“Thank you for coming over, Duane- Mike. I hope you enjoyed the evening, please forgive me.” Duane nodded, and I shook Mike’s hand. I left the quiet room, and mum started jabbering girlishly once more. I walked up the stairs, dropping my facade instantly, and hopped merrily into my room. I glanced at myself in the mirror with curly hair. Oh, I suppose it didn’t look too bad. I put my flat iron back in the drawer with a triumphant smile. I retrieved my make-up bag from a drawer on my vanity desk, and placed it down. I turned the radio on slightly, just enough that it wouldn’t be heard playing over the terrible lounge music my mum had ‘playing’ on the large stereo.

I heard a knock on my door. I lunged for my bed, just as the door creaked open. Mike came in, and shut the door behind him. I sat on my bed, wondering why he was in my room. He was walking closer to me. I had the worst in mind, but I ignored the thought. I opened my mouth to say something, but he came in close to my face, and started kissing me.

What the f-

For a moment, I left my face limp, and I was much too shocked too move. After a few seconds, he parted my lips with his tongue and I had no idea how to react. My natural insticts kicked in, and I started to kiss him back. My entire mind was screaming at me for being an idiot enough not to stop him. I didn’t know whether I was supposed to listen or not.

He pushed me down so we we laying on the bed, and he climbed on top of me. My head was still spitting curse words at me for letting him do this. He was much too heavy to be laying on top of me. My ribs felt compressed and I had a hard time breathing. Luckily, he held himself off of me for a moment.

Luck wasn’t the right word. Not at all.

I felt the hand that he wasn’t holding himself up with trace it’s way up my stomach underneath my shirt, and onto my chest.

I was instantly immobilized. Harry was the only person who had ever done this before, but he had immediately retracted his hand, both of us blushing madly. But if I was blushing now, it was’t because I was embarassed. I was angry that Mike came in here just for this. I felt stupid that I hadn’t cried out in protest yet. He apparently got tired of the fact that my lips had stopped reacting, and started to kiss my neck instead. I officially felt violated and angry.

I couldn’t feel anything but anger. He rolled on his side, forcing me to face him. He traced his hand away from my chest, but I didn’t feel in the least bit relieved as he tried to peek his fingers into the top of my shorts. I pushed him off of me. I could only think of one name- Andre.

“No. Get out.” I growled. I didn’t look at him. He said nothing. He sat up, and left sheepishly. I buried my face in my hands and started to cry. He came in for a bloody snog. No wonder he seemed so interested in me at dinner. I felt upset. He reminded me so much of Andre. I cursed loudly and threw my pillow at the lamp furiously and it fell over onto my carpet with a dull thud.

My chest felt bigger, and more prominent as I applied some eyeliner on only the top lids, using less enthusiasm than I had planned. I slipped on some flip-flops, and ruffled through the clothes in my closet, wondering whether I’d need a sweater. I could still feel his hands on my breasts. I felt dirty and betrayed. How could my mother have let someone like that into our new house? I felt tainted. I turned off the lights to my room, and laid down on my bed. I covered my ears, and couldn’t stop thinking about Mike. My cell phone started to vibrate on my vanity desk. I slowly got up, and slid it open, pressing the receiver to my ear.

“Hallo?” I said dimly. My voice was quiet and diminuitive.

“Hey! Which window is yours?” Ryan’s voice poured out of my reciever like a miracle.

“One second.” I pushed every image of Mike out of my head. I got up, and flicked the light switch on and off a few times, hoping to attract his attention.

After a moment he said, “You’re on the top floor?”

“Unfortunately.” I rushed around my room, throwing things I thought I might need into my purse, really just unsure what to do.

“Are you going to come down through the front door, or are we gonna have to sneak you out?” Ryan laughed. I scrambled to my window, cranked it open as far as it would go, and slipped out with ease onto the slanted roof, careful to keep my balance. I hadn’t actually thought how the bloody hell I was actually supposed to get out of the house.

“Not sure how I’m going to get down.” I sighed. Brendon and Ryan came out of the car and I hung up my phone. I tossed my purse down on the grass below and sat on the edge of the roof, wondering what would happen if I just jumped. “What shall we do, lads?”

“Try to just hang off the edge, and we’ll lift you down.” I immediately flipped onto my stomach and slowly lowered myself down. My shirt didn’t slide down as easily as I had expected, and it was now in folds near my neck. The warm roof scratched at my stomach uncomfortably. I knew that my back and possibly my bra strap was being exposed to the boys below.

“Sorry.” I muttered. They just laughed. I was now just hanging off of the roof with my arms. I could feel someone’s warm hand grasping my ankle.

“Just let go. We’ll catch you!” Brendon called. I breathed in and jumped off. I was just dangling off of my roof with my fingers until someone grabbed me around my waist and I let go completely. I caught whoever was grasping onto me off guard and fell down on top of him.

“I’m so sorry!” I sat up, looking down at Ryan who was sprawled on the cool, springy grass beneath me.

“SHOT GUN!” Brendon called, with a childish stature, running to the car, ignoring the fact that Ryan and I were crumpled together.

“No worries.” Ryan smiled. I blushed and jumped up, offering my hand to Ryan who took it, even though he obviously didn’t need my help getting up. Ryan and I sauntered together to the car. I opened the backseat door and sidled in. Ryan started the car as I buckled myself in, and soon we were speeding off, with music blasting and car windows down all the way. My hair was whipping my face in the dark.

“Where are we even going?” I shouted, hoping to be louder than the music.

“My place. The parents are out tonight.” Brendon yelled.

“Excellent!” I shouted back, leaning back against the back seat letting the air caress my face. After about ten minutes of driving we finally pulled into a familiar driveway and I hopped out as soon as we were parked. I could already hear the music playing from inside the large house.

“Is there a bloody elephant in there?” I asked loudly.

Brendon, smiling, explained, “Nahh, it’s just Spencer, Jon, Brent, and… Brent’s cousin.” He looked uncomfortable for a second, but then made his way up to the house. I nodded, getting excited. I hadn’t met Brent yet. He was the bass player for the band.

I hopped on Ryan’s back, forcing him to give me a piggyback. I had a small explosion of butterflies as he gripped my legs. He carried me easily. We entered the house and a thunderous blast of music surrounded like a cannon exploding. Brendon rushed inside and wrenched down the stereo, yelling his head off at Spencer and Jon who were dancing wildly in the middle of the living room.

Ryan stepped through the door, and to avoid hitting the top of my head on the top of the frame, I rested my head on top of his.

“Your shampoo smells nice.” I told him, as slid me down his back. He smiled and ruffled his hair. I scanned the room briefly. I waved happily at Jon and Spencer as they got chastised by Brendon. Jon gave me a mischevious smile, and Spencer rolled his eyes at Brendon.

There was a boy sitting by himself, playing playstation intently. He had longish hair that, admittedly looked a little greasy. He was wearing a black band t-shirt, which band it was, I couldn’t tell because he was hunched over the controller in intense concentration.

I inadvertently gasped when I saw Sally LaMarre sitting beside him, filing her nails. She looked up, and her face suddenly turned into a scowl when she saw me. She was definitely not pleased that I was here. Ryan guided me to the couch farthest away from Sally.

“I know about you and Sally.” He said under his breath. I shrugged.

“What, that she wants to roundhouse kick my bloody face in?” I growled. He laughed, and ruffled my hair with his hand affectionately.

“She won’t try anything with Brendon around. Don’t worry. Want anything to drink? They have apple juice.” He taunted. I laughed.

“Apple juice sounds good.” I admitted.

“Alright. Wait here.” He got up, and walked off into the kitchen. I sat, playing with my hands, and looked around.

I wondered how many calories were in apple juice, and regretted asking for it. Spencer was strumming on his lap with two pens, Jon was watching the television intently, without a glance anywhere else, focused in on Deal or No Deal. The boy that was previously playing play station threw the remote on the ground, shouting at Jon for stealing the TV- he hadn’t had a chance to save his game. Sally was talking to Brendon animatedly. I waved happily at him when he looked over in my direction. He smiled and bounded towards me, jumping right in the spot where Ryan had been. Sally was not pleased. Actually, she looked angrier than the boy who say furiously on the couch, pouting.

“Are you coming to keep me company until Ryan comes out with my drink?” I asked Brendon innocently.

He rolled his eyes. “Are you kidding? I don’t even know why Sally was invited here. She’s Brent’s cousin and everything, but I hate having to put up with her.” I punched him in the arm affectionately, as I saw Sally sidle into the kitchen. “Speaking of which… BRENT! Have you said hello to Delilah, here?”

Brent shrugged and waved dully at me, then went straight back to pouting.

“He gets like this.” Brendon said.

I shrugged. “Oh well. You haven’t shown me your erotic outfit yet.” I said, trying to cheer him up. He grinned. We were quiet for a moment. “I think I’m going to go and help Ryan with the drinks.”

“I’ll come along.” He offered. I didn’t retort, not bothering to tell him that Sally was in there. Actually, I didn’t even know why I was going in there. Just because I didn’t want her alone with Ryan? No, that’s not really what I wanted. I was just lending a helping hand with the drinks. Right. I opened the door. Ryan was by the fridge, and Sally was sitting seductively on the counter.

“Ooooh, Ryan!” I sing-songed his name to get his attention, and tried my best to ignore Sally’s malicious glare. Ryan popped his head out from behind the open refrigerator door, his expression was slightly annoyed, but when he saw Brendon and I he smiled. I could feel Brendon shuffle behind me. “Me and Bren are here to help you out.” I said volunteering both of us.

“Uhh, actually,” Brendon started. “I’d better go check and see what Jon’s doing.” He turned around, and left the room, leaving just Sally, Ryan, and me.

I shrugged. “Oh well. Just me, then.”

“I can’t find the apple juice.” He said, sounding defeated. I began to walk over to him, but Sally jumped up, and went to Ryan’s side, touching the small of his back. I felt a roar of jealousy echo through my entire body, but I didn’t say anything. She went infront of him, reaching into the very back of the fridge, seemingly sticking her abnormally large and oddly shapped bottom in the air. Trying to show off for Ryan, I suppose. I could feel my fists clench, but I remained to say nothing, or act out. Ryan turned to me, and pretended to stick his finger down his throat, making a disgusted face. I laughed quietly, trying not to divert Sally’s attention to me. I felt a little better than Ryan wasn’t ogling her, but rather finding her actions gross.

“Actually, Ryan, I think I’d prefer water anyways. Sorry to be a bother.” I covered my cheeks with my hands out of habit and he smiled.

“Not a bother at all.” Ryan said.

When Sally had turned around he winked, and I smiled. As soon as I felt my face flush, I turned around.

Jon shouted, “HEY, RYAN. Get me some water while you’re there. AND MAKE ME A GOD DAMN PIE, WOMAN.” From the doorway. Ryan laughed, as he retrieved three glass cups from the cupboard. Sally pulled herself out of the fridge seductively. Ryan ran the tap, and placed a glass underneath it, letting it fill up with lukewarm water.

“Oh, Ryan, here’s the water jug, handsome.” Sally crowed smoothly. Dear lord, did she actually think she was good at flirting? The way she flicked her hair and stalked around the kitchen. Her ‘sexy voice’ mostly just sounded like a bloody grumbling giant. I inhwardly shrugged it off. I shot Ryan a glance. He was looking at her with his eyebrow raised and a little smirk.

AN EYEBROW RAISE AND A SMIRK, I SAY. Well, never in a million years would I have had expected him to do such a thing. Sally then grinned triumphantly at me. Well, if hideous moves like that attracted Ryan, I guess that was it for my chance. Unless I made hideous movements subconciously.

Half of me hoped I did, and the other half of me didn’t.

“Thanks. Want to give this to Jon for me, Sally?” I was now standing a few feet behind Sally, who looked so excited she could have wet herself over the fact that Ryan asked her to do a favour rather than me.

“Ooh! Of course!” She giggled in her high-pitched voice. She lowered her voice, without even looking at me. “Here, hold this.” She didn’t even wait a second for me to grab the glass, but rather glanced back and threw it over her shoulder. The cup started spinning around, spraying me with the liquid that was contained inside the glass. I gasped as the strong scented liquor drenched my clothes, face and hair. I hadn’t even gotten over the shock of the alcohol on my body, when I heard an unnerving thunk as the heavy glass cup hit just about my right brow. I stumbled for a second. My eyesight was starting to fade. I reached out for the support of the counter, but missed.



“NO IT WASN’T ON PURPOSE, AND IT WAS HER THAT DROPPED THE GLASS!” Someone was shouting. I could tell that it was Sally. I blinked my eyes open and instantly understood what had happened. I felt so foolish. It was hard to breath since all I could smell was the vodka. The strong scent burnt my nostrils as I inhaled. I could feel a stinging cut and dull pain above my eyebrow where the glass had hit, and another cut on my cheek that stung a little less. I raised my head, and noticed that the puddle on the floor had flattened the back of my hair.

Fuck, so much for my nice curly hair.

“I SAID NO ALCOHOL, AND I HAVE A GIRL PASSED OUT ON MY FLOOR BECAUSE OF YOU. MY WHOLE HOUSE SMELLS LIKE VODKA.” I could feel someone at my side, trying to help me up. I looked over at Ryan, who had his knee in the puddle of vodka, trying to get me on my feet.

“Ungggg.” I said as my head started to feel heavy like a block of cement. I sat up. Ryan was still holding my hand, trying to move me upwards. I felt someone else holding me on my other side. It was Jon. Imanaged to get off of my bum onto my knees. With a great pull from eboth of the boys on either side of me I was finally on my feet. I wobbled a little, feeling as if I had consumed the liquor rather than have been sprayed with it. I was dizzy and my vision still hadn’t returned to normal. Ryan took my hand, and put his own on the small of my back, guiding me out of the puddle.

“I’M SORRY THAT SHE DID IT TO HERSELF! IT WAS ALL HER FAULT! IF IT WAS MY FAULT- I’D BE THE IDIOT LAYING ON THE FLOOR WITH BOOZE ALL OVER ME!” Sally shrieked.

“GET OUT, SALLY.” Brendon’s voice was loud, and frightening.

“C’mon Brent.” She stormed out of the room, narrowly avoiding the puddle. I felt stupid. All I wanted to do was to sit down, but I knew that I shouldn’t. I didn’t want to get the scent of alcohol on the Urie’s chairs or sofas.

“Sorry.” Brent said, as he left the room trailing after his cousin. “See you at the next practice, guys.” I didn’t see Brent leave, but a few moments later, judging by the sound of a closing door, I knew that he was gone.

I heard Jon speak. “What’re we gonna do?”

“Jon, come on. Help me and Brendon clean this up.” Spencer called. Jon hugged me regardless of the fact that I was sopping wet. I stood for a moment as they scuttled out of the room, trying to regain my balance. Ryan was helping to support me, with his arm trailing around my waist.

I felt sort of content in his arms.

“You can give her some clothes out of my closet.” Brendon said, still obviously grumpy. I don’t blame him, I was still in a bad mood, too. Ryan nodded and guided me out of the kitchen and into the hallway, where we nearly collided with Jon and Spencer, who were carrying a bucket, a mop, and cleaning solution. We all shuffled past each other. Ryan swerved me around them and then held me up as we walked down the stairs.

When the room was lit, and light poured into every corner of the basement, a messy room was exposed. Clothes were sprawled helplessly on the floor and guitar picks littered the ground. There were various muscial instruments each on their own stand along the wall. Above the instruments the walls were lined with posters of women that were either half nude or in revealing bathing suits, and posters of bands. There were several sporradic music sheets stapled between the posters.

Ryan was almost fully immersed in Brendon’s closet. When he retreated, clothes were slung over one of his arms. He handed me a shirt, some shorts, and a pair of large, woolen socks.

“Call me when you’re done, alright?”

“Alright.” I smiled.

I watched him leave the room.I tried to strip my soaked black, spandex short shorts off without letting them touch anything on the floor. I slid on Brendon’s shorts. They were a little too big, but they were more comfortable that way. I took off my laced shirt with difficulty. It was colder taking the shirt off then it would have been to leave it on. It was worth it when I puled the large Bishop , but I was relieved when I slipped into the sweater. I pulled on the socks gratefully after the shirt.

“Ryan? You still out there?” I asked, holding my clothes in my outstretched hand. The door opened slightly, and Ryan peeked in, holding an elastic band and a brush.

“Yeah. Do you mind if I wash your clothes for you? And I brought you something to tie your hair back with.” He offered me the brush and elastic band, and I took it, running the brush through my damp hair, as he took my clothes into another room. I pulled my hair back, brushed it into place, and tied it back with the ponytail.

“Looks good.” I heard Ryan say comfortingly. I sat down on Brendon’s messy bed, and put my head into my hands. I wanted to cry, but I just couldn’t let anything out. My eyes started to fill with my own tears, but nothing came out. I felt Ryan plop down on the bed, I could feel the warmth from his thigh against mine. I didn’t budge. I could feel his finger guiding my chin and face to look at him. He brushed a warm washcloth against my forehead. I couldn’t do anything but look at him, and admire him for being so kind to someone he had just met just a few weeks ago. His eyes bore into mine.

“Don’t cry, doll.” I felt like melting into the bed. I was embarrassed that he had witnessed me being vulnerable and weak, even though he was comforting me, rather than pushing me down like most others would have. I finally felt a tear crawl down my cheek for the first time since I had moved from London. He wiped it away with the washcloth, and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me in for a hug.

“I’m so sorry, Ryan. You don’t have to do this.” I said. He didn’t let go of me.

“What’s wrong, Delilah? Can I help with it?”

I started, “I just miss home so much. I miss everyone, and school is so hard. And Mike-” I choked back my words, knowing that I wasn’t strong enough to tell him what had happened when Mike came into my room before I had come over. He held me for a little bit, and I finally calmed down. I was so confused with life right now, especially my feelings for the people around me. I missed Jas so much, and yet, it was as if she avoided returning my calls and text messages. I was supposed to be in love with Harry, so why was I feeling so strongly for Ryan? We had just met a week ago, and it was making me feel like I could replace
Harry already.

“Wanna go upstairs and see what they’re up to?” I asked him after a little while, getting sick of thinking.

“Yeah. Sounds good.” He agreed. I got up off of Brendon’s bed, and then hopped up the stairs. We saw Brendon spraying air freshener in the living room, Jon mopping the floor, and Spencer cleaning off the refridgerator with a damp washcloth. I felt angry with myself for not catching the glass, and for making him clean up such a big mess.

“Brendon, I am so sorry.” I walked a little bit towards him. I knew that this was all my fault. I had broken up the get together, by doing something so stupid as be jealous that Sally was alone with someone I may have a little crush on.

God, I am even a bigger jackass than her.

“What are you talking about? This isn’t your mess.” Brendon set down the aerosol can. “Do you want to watch a movie or something?” I looked over at Ryan, and he was smirking. He nodded, and I turned back to Brendon, and nodded as well. I ran towards the couch and leaped onto it. I settled myself in the middle of it, and patted beside me, looking at Brendon and Ryan.

“YES! LET’S WATCH A MOVIE!” Cried Jon.

“Spencer, put something in!” Brendon said loudly. Brendon grabbed the remote and pressed a button.

*

We had only made it halfway through the movie of my choice, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, when I felt myself beginning to doze. My eyelids felt heavy with the oncoming sleep, and my body felt relaxed and warm.

Brendon had turned his couch into a bed, and three of us were squashed on the futon. Jon had taken refuge on the large couch. Spencer was already fast asleep in the little nest like bed he had made himself out of all the blankets he could find.

Brendon was laying on my left side, just about to fall asleep. Ryan was laying on my other side. The three of us were sharing a blanket Brendon had to steal from Spencer. I felt very comfortable regardless of the little space that I had. Brendon had snuggled in closely to me, his head was resting on my shoulder. I stroked his hair. I felt a great amount of gratitude towards him. I felt Ryan shift a little on my right, and I looked over. He looked like he was mere seconds from falling asleep. I grabbed his forearm, and he looked up, and smiled. I smiled back, my heavy eyelids drooping. In the background, I could hear the main character chatting, but I really couldn’t care less.
Sign up to rate and review this story