Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Who Really Needs The Past With The Allure Of Something New?

Chapter 3

by -gabrielleanne 0 reviews

Jon flung his arm over my shoulders and grinned at me toothily. He had started doing little affectionate things like this within the last week. Just stupid things. I hadn’t even paid any attentio...

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Romance - Published: 2009-10-07 - Updated: 2009-10-07 - 7415 words

0Unrated
Unfortunately, it had been a couple weeks since my mother refused to trust me what so ever. I was absolutely forbidden to step foot outside of the house. Except for school, unfortunately enough. After school was over, I then had to return promptly to my prison cell. Well, my bed room, but lately I can’t really discern the difference between the two. She did keep a closer eye on me than she would a convicted serial killer. For example, a few days ago I was late because the bus had broken down, and my mother had sent me to my room, and accused me of treason. Well, pretty close anyway. That’s what the neighbors must’ve assumed by the way she was screeching and stomping about like a great bat.

She was only being like a giant prat because a few weeks previously, I had pretended to be ill so that I didn’t have to endure another minute of her tedious dinner. There was also a large possibility that she was mad because I had snuck out of the house while I was supposedly ‘ill’, and didn’t come back until the next morning because I had accidentally fallen asleep on my friend’s couch. Incidentally, I smelled like hard liquor, but she didn’t believe me when I told her someone had thrown vodka at me.

Today, however, my schedule had a little more variation.

I had finally persuaded my ‘mother’ to let me go out for an evening. I was going to watch a movie at the cinema with Ryan, Brendon, Spencer, Brent, and Jon. I had this faint feeling that my mum was planning on walking me out to the car, with a ‘secret’ mission in mind to scan each of my friends to see if she could find anything new to enunciate about them. Anyway- It wasn’t the boys that I was afraid of her meeting- it was Sally. Of course she had begged Brent to let her tag along for another go with Brendon. I hadn’t seen her since she somewhat accidentally chucked a glass of vodka at my head. I mean, I’m sure that it wasn’t her intentions to knock me out, since she wasn’t even looking at me, then again she didn’t just spin ‘round and toss it at my head. But, all the same, I think she must have been quite pleased, and probably didn’t care what might happen to me. You’d think people would learn not to lob thick glasses filled with alcohol about, wouldn’t you?

After an hour of pruning my hair and fixing smudges in my make-up, I was finally ready for a good scare. We were going to go see a thriller. It was opening day. It was Friday the 13th, a spooky place and time, am I right? I was sitting on the front porch, ready to go. The sun was about to set, and the heavy and sweet scent of lavender hung low in the crisp October air. I peeked back at the house, to see a closing swish of the curtains. I rolled my eyes. Wow, my mother was really obvious. How dim could she get?

I tucked my hands into my sweater. I was keeping it simple today. Just a grey hoodie, actually one of my favorite jumpers, with skinnies. Same hair, same make-up. I saw Brendon’s black, smooth car pull up to the curb, with loads of familiar faces squashed together in the backseat. I heard the muffled sound of blasting music from outside the car, and I also heard the front door squeal open slowly. I stood up, and looked at my mum.

“What’re you up to?” I asked, in a monotone voice, not bothering to hide my lack of surprise.

“Just meeting your new mates. Which ones are they? Are they the ones you SKIPPED my IMPORTANT dinner with?” She had her hands on her hips, peering around me at the car, neck craned farther than I thought it could actually go. It was really unfortunate that she was so bitter about one missed dinner. You could also replace the word unfortunate with ‘sad’, ‘pathetic’, or even ‘useless’. It’s funny how things like that work out.

“Right. Can’t we do this later, mum? I’m going to completely miss the movie if you insist upon judging my friends.”


“Watch your attitude, Delilah. 12:00, Latest.” She said, putting on her ‘doting mother’ face. I patted her on the shoulder in pity. What a sad life she must lead, trying to make friends through her daughter.

“Cheerio, Mother. Pip pip.” I said casually.

“C’mon, you loon, you know no one talks like that anymore.” I ignored her latest endeavor to pretend to be a good mother so that she could make a good impression in front of my friends. It’s funny how much irony was in that situation. I batted her hand away from my hair as she attempted to fix a stray hair, and jogged lightly towards the car. I opened the back door seat, to see Jon, and Ryan’s smiling faces in the backseat. Even over the deafening music, I could hear my mother cry, “Be safe, darling!” I tried my best to ignore the fact that Jon had heard my mother as well, and was now laughing, pointedly at me. Jon patted the seat beside him, as he shuffled over him into the middle seat, closer to Ryan. I sat down, still ignoring Jon’s chuckles, and buckled myself into the seat.

“Hallo. Are we ready?” I asked cheerfully.

“We sure are!” Jon cried happily. Brendon said ‘Hi’, and then returned to volume to full blast. I was sitting, looking out the window, watching the sun set over the towering skyscrapers and apartment buildings. I could actually see the glow from the neon lights hovering over down town already, even though it was partially dark, and there were still streams of sunlight reaching over the horizon. Jon flung his arm over my shoulders and grinned at me toothily. He had started doing little affectionate things like this within the last week. Just stupid things. I hadn’t even paid any attention to them, until I noticed that Ryan’s reaction was weird to what Jon did. But, it wasn’t as if I and Jon were dating, and Ryan didn’t even like me in that sort of terms. No one did. Well, with the exception of Harry, but a lot of good that did now.

I snapped back into reality, and pinched Jon’s cheek tenderly, deliberately avoiding looking at Ryan. Instead, I grabbed Spencer’s earlobe gently as he sat in front of me, to gain his attention. The music was loud, and I had quickly learned that when in the car with a bunch of lads that like fast paced music, shouting to get their attention is futile, since they can’t hear a word you’re trying to shout at them. At first it was fun, I would shout curse words at the top of my lungs, and once when I was in the middle of saying a slur of swears, Jon thought it would be a good idea to turn the music completely off, while we were at a red light, with the windows open. I was especially embarrassed since there was a bunch of cute looking lads waiting to cross the street, watching me being a complete idiot. I remember having to box Jon on the side of his head because he had said, “Don’t mind her. It’s a disease.”

Spencer turned around and patted my head, as a popular song of Fall Out Boy started to blast from the radio.

I could hear Ryan shout, “I SENT PETE WENTZ A FEW OF OUR SONGS OVER LIVEJOURNAL.” The music turned off, and Brendon turned around.

“What does that even mean?” Brendon half asked, half yelled. He swung around, looking at Ryan with intense curiosity.

“He might listen to them. No big deal, though.” Ryan said calmly, his masculine voice rang through the quiet car. “He probably doesn’t even go on his account. I was just saying.” Doubt was etched in his voice, and I could tell it was genuine.

“I don’t even know what Live Journal is.” I added suddenly. My voice turned out louder than I had meant it to.

“Me neither.” Brendon agreed. We pulled into the crowded parking lot of the cinema, as the boys started to chat about something. I had completely frozen. Mike Stoermer, yeah, Duane Stoermer’s nephew, was walking along the busy urban sidewalk. He wasn’t alone, either. Beside him was a tall girl with long, shiny jet black hair that complimented her skin nicely. Her hands were filled with plastic shopping bags. I wondered if they were dating, but I shook off the thought, remembering that he told me he had broken up with his most recent girlfriend. I shrugged.

Actually, I suppose my mother had let me out once during the week I forgot to mention that Duane had set me and Mike up at a fancy restaurant for a date. It was weird to be hooked up with someone by my mother’s boyfriend. Not like my mum was against it, though. She was ecstatic.

He actually wasn’t as stiff as he was at the dinner with my mum and Duane, I found him to be quite laid back. Still, as dumb as a wooden plank, but quite funny. Not funny as in my mum’s sense of humor (I.E. jokes that I had learned in primary, like ‘Why did the chicken cross the road?’), but he made jokes about Duane, and I secretly found them very, very amusing. Nothing was mentioned about when he had come into my room after the dinner.

I watched them until they strolled out of sight behind a large fir tree. I heard someone tap on the window beside me. It was Spencer. I quickly looked around the car to see that everyone had already left, and were already outside. I unbuckled my seat belt with ease and speed, wrenched open the door, and jumped out.


*


I held my ticket loosely between my fingers, waiting in line with Ryan. All of us; Brendon, Jon, Spencer, and- we met up with them by the refreshment line, neither looking pleased with each other- Sally and Brent.

I craned my neck just to see Brendon walk into the theatre, looking mildly annoyed at Sally, who was talking extremely fast and animatedly to him. Ryan was standing slightly awkwardly beside me, his posture as straight as he could get it, and looking, what I’m sure he thought looked ‘absent mindedly’ (even though he was concentrating so hard on the poster that lined the wall, I was sure it was going to blow up) away from me.

“Are you excited?” He said finally, looking back at me. I smirked. I was so excited. I had watched a preview for the same movie we were going to on the television only twenty minutes before they came to pick me up, and I felt as if it was already Christmas Eve.

“A little.” I said, trying to act casual. Of course, I was a little more excited about the fact that I was going there with Ryan. “You?”

“I’m not very good with horror movies. I get scared easily.” He looked abashed.

I smiled. “That’s cute! You look scared already.” I teased. Ryan chuckled and shuffled his stance. His bag of popcorn looked like it was about to fall out of his hand, but he hadn’t noticed. I grew nervous and he looked somewhat shy. “You’ll sit by me?” I asked casually, hoping not to sound too keen. I shuffled nervously, holding my cold water bottle in my hand.

“If you want me to.” He replied slowly. Yes, I thought. This is going pretty well. He might actually want to sit by me.

“Excellent. It’s a date.” I said with delight. As soon as the words had slipped out of my mouth, I regretted all four of them more deeply than any other words I’ve ever uttered. Well, that was an exaggeration, but I was really embarrassed. He laughed and flushed slightly.

Finally Ryan and I were standing at the front of the line. A bored looking man in a gaudy crimson velour suit was sitting behind a little booth with a pile of torn paper in front of him. We showed the uninterested looking man our tickets. He took them, the small perforated piece of paper off of them and handed the tickets back. We walked down the hall in silence, looking for theatre eight.

The strong smell of popcorn hng heavily throughout the entire theatre and suddenly, my stomach gave an annoyed pang of hunger. “I should have gotten popcorn. FUC- Oh, sorry.” I stopped myself, getting a glare from a passing mother who ushered her children away from me. Ryan chuckled.

“You can share mine, if you want to.” He added quietly. I looked at the bag, and arched my eyebrow.

“No, it’s alright. You don’t have to do that.” I shook my head. It’s not that I didn’t want any of it. Actually, I was secretly flattered that Ryan had offered. I just didn’t want him to think that I was taking advantage of his generosity.

“You sure?” He asked, erupting into a grin. He shuffled the popcorn bag seductively under my face.

“DAMN IT, RYAN.” I grabbed a few pieces in my hand and popped them into my mouth. “Thank-you.” His laughter made me smile. We turned into the theatre, and even though there were a few lamps on two of the parallel walls, we had to wait a few moments for our eyes to adjust to the dark, even though we stubbornly grazed over the darkened faces, not being able to discern one person from the next.

“Oh! There they are!” I pointed to the back where Brent, Spencer, Jon, Brendon and Sally sat, in that order, talking much louder than they had to.

“At the back?” Ryan asked, scanning throughout the rows.

“Mmhmm.” I nodded. “Oh, dear lord.”

“What?” Ryan sounded concerned. I looked at him.

“Please, I don’t want to sit by Sally.” I once again pointed at the back where they had saved two seats, one for each Ryan and I, but Sally separated them by sitting right between the two. I watched as Sally leaned all the way over the empty chair to have a chat with Brendon, who even in the dark, did not look pleased.

“Well-” Ryan started. “There are a few empty seats near the front…” I froze. Ryan was offering to sit alone with me? Just being with Ryan, standing looking into the dark crowd of eager people, was the first time we had been together without being with anyone else. I prayed that I wouldn’t make myself sound stupid.

“Oh… Yeah. ‘Kay, that sounds good.” I said, already sound like an idiot. He shuffled through the seats first, and as soon as he turned his back, I slapped my hand onto my forehead in frustration with my lack of common sense. People looked annoyed as we passed, their legs brought up to their chest, or clutching onto their belongings that they had to pick up from the floor. Some ignored us completely, and I saw the whites of other’s eyes as they rolled their eyes at the disturbance we were making. I half tripped over someone’s foot. I luckily regained my composure, but my purse swung and hit someone in the face with a motivated smack.

“Oh dear! I’m really sorry! I-”

“Fucking emo.” He scowled.

There was a high pitched laughter from beside him. The light from the screen illuminated her make-up caked face. “Oh Em Gee! Did you, like, hear that, Ace? Oh Dear!” She imitated, throwing her head back in a howl of fake laughter once more. My face flushed, and I kept going down the row of seats. I slowly sat down in the empty seat by Ryan. I attempted to hide my face by digging in my purse, pretending to look for something, but Ryan noticed anyways.

“You alright?” Ryan asked, with unease. I nodded. I was still intent on avoiding his rapt gaze. “Did I do something?” He asked when I didn’t immediately answer.

I shook my head. “No, no, of course not. Just some bloody idiot.” I dared myself to glance into his large, round hazel eyes. “What’s an emo?” He raised his eyebrows at my sudden question.

“Why?” He asked. The concern in his eyes made my heart bubble in excitement.

“Dunno. That’s the second time someone’s called me one. Just curious, I guess.” I shrugged. I couldn’t help but blush again, trying to hide my embarrassment; I found sudden interest in my shoes.

“Who said that?” Ryan said quickly, unable to hide the apparent anger in his voice. He was looking down the row, looking for the offender.

“It doesn’t matter. What is it, though?”

“It’s just a stereotype.” He said, sitting back in his seat, but still looked perturbed. “Just because of the way you dress, people think that you slit your wrists, and hate yourself.” He said bitterly, rolling his eyes. I shrugged. People here were so stupid.

“Well,” My voice was quiet and soothing. “We don’t do that, now. Do we?” I grabbed his wrist gently, turned it over, and pulled up his sweater to expose his smooth, intact wrist. Well, sort of unscathed. There was a large bruise around his wrist. He twitched in discomfort, obviously contemplating pulling his wrist away. But even though my grip remained loose, his arm lingered where it was.

I looked at him; he was looking at his own wrist. I studied his deep face. He looked up at me, and I was immediately immobilized. I couldn’t look away. I felt like I was about to melt into the chair, until my phone vibrated in my pocket. I snapped out of the trance-like state I was in, and looked away from Ryan, very reluctantly. Letting go of his arm, I fetched the phone in my pocket. It was Jon. I flipped open the phone, and pressed it to my ear.

“Hey, Jon.” I said awkwardly. Ryan found sudden interest in his now twiddling fingers.

“Hey, where are you guys? Ditching us, huh?” He started off sounding angry, but ended up in a laugh. I looked back, and waved at him.

“We didn’t want to sit by you know who. We’re in the front.” Suddenly, he saw me waving, and waved back. I heard them talking both through the receiver and from the back of the theatre.

“They’re right there.” Jon pointed. Everyone suddenly looked down at us, and I waved again.

“Well, let’s go then.” I saw Brendon jump up, already frustrated with Sally’s constant chatter.

“Delilah?” Jon asked.

“Yes, Jon?”

“We’re coming down now.”

“Alright.” I said, hanging up the phone. There was a moment where there was brief discussing between Brent and Sally, and she looked absolutely defeated. Brendon was already half way down the stairs, skipping a few, eagerly awaiting a Sally-free movie. Everyone that was still at the back, got up, and Sally, still sitting in her chair, followed suit in disinclination. I glanced at Ryan, who’s neck was craned back to see Brendon practically leaping down the stairs. There was a strange feeling of longing for Ryan in the pit of my stomach. I was confused, and a little disappointed. ‘It’s not like he likes me like that anyways,’ I reassured myself.

There was chatter between everyone as they sat down, but I couldn’t think of anything to say. I feigned a smile at Jon as he sat beside me. I was perplexed at how I was supposed to feel about Ryan. Think of Harry, Think of Harry. I told myself, but no matter how many times I repeated the three words in my head, they just became just words. Could Harry be replaced so easily? I was deep in thought when the movie started, and only did I snap back into reality when the chilling music started to play. I suddenly felt cold and scared, yet I was smiling and excited at the same time.


*

“HOLY SHIT!” I involuntarily screamed as a man with a mask made of human skin popped into view from behind a shadowed doorway, only to strike a knife through the last remaining of the unsuspecting teenagers. It was fifteen minutes in, and the name of the movie had just scrawled its way onto the large canvas. I thought to myself, ‘that was probably the longest introduction ever.’ I looked over to Jon, and he was laughing like crazy.

“What?” I asked him rudely.

“Holy shit!” He imitated, in a high pitched voice. I threw a piece of popcorn at his head, and he stopped laughing. He threw his arm over my shoulders, pulling me close to him, still smiling. I leaned onto him a small bit.

“You’re a dick.” I told him, smiling as I turned back to the screen. He was still smiling as he drank some liquid from a worn, plastic water bottle, and shook his head, shrugging modestly.


Ryan’s Point Of View
I couldn’t seem to shake it off. It was a rare feeling for me to have. I was extremely jealous. I usually never got envious. I normally just shrugged it off, and reassured myself that I’d eventually get something I’d been longing for. It didn’t matter anyways; I didn’t want many material things. But this was different. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t stop feeling that if I didn’t get this girl, than I’d never find anyone like her. I didn’t even know what attracted me to Delilah so intensely. Other than the fact she was gorgeous, and funny, and interesting.

I sighed, and risked taking a glance at Delilah, who was taking a sip out of her water bottle. Another roar of jealousy and frustration swam over me, as I noticed Jon’s arm slung over her shoulders, bringing her petite body closer to his. I would have given anything to have her leaning into me like that. I shook my head, and looked at my bag of popcorn. Suddenly, I didn’t want it anymore, so I placed it on the floor, underneath my chair. I felt moody, and angry at Jon. He should know, I thought bitterly to myself. He should know that I like her. He’s my friend, he should understand. I cursed Jon under my breath.

I looked over to the other side of me. Brendon was focused on the movie, his jaw slightly open, and his thick-rimmed glasses sliding off the end of his nose, unnoticed.

“Fuck! He’s right behind you, idiot!” Delilah hissed at the film. I chuckled. She too, looked like she was completely absorbed in the movie, her half empty water bottle sloshing around as she jumped back in surprise. I snapped my head back to the large canvas screen, feeling a little embarrassed and disappointed to find that I had missed a good part. I really did hate feeling so introverted. It felt like some sort of disease. I felt incapable of being outgoing and fun around new people, and for some strange reason, it felt impossible to be myself around Delilah. If I was as outgoing, loud and brave as Jon, it would be me with my arm around her. I couldn’t help but feel another wave of jealousy again. I felt rejected and hurt.

Jon hiccoughed and laughed loudly, bringing me out of my thoughts once more, and back to my habit of observing.

“Jon, quit it.” Delilah hissed under her breath, looking agitated. Jon tried to settle down, but I watched as Jon’s mouth was tensed as he tried his hardest not to burst out. The corners of his mouth twitched and he erupted into laughter again.

“B-but-” Jon was now attracting murmurs and glares from around the theatre.

“Jon!” Delilah said under her breath fiercely. I felt a nudge on my other side. I turned around to see Brendon craning his neck, trying to see what was going on with Jon and Delilah.

“What’s going on?” He asked, eyebrow raised. I shrugged, looking back at Jon, who was chuckling to himself still, unaware that there were irritated people muttering around him.. Delilah drew back, hunching her slender shoulders, trying to sink into her own chair, forehead buried in her hand.

“Jon- you haven’t been drinking have you?” She said, grimacing as if a strong scent had just hit her. This seemed quite amusing to him, he let out another bark of laughter. Another man wearing an embarrassing crimson velour suit was shuffling down the aisle, pointing his flashlight in Jon’s face.

“Listen,” The employee snarled. “Either shut up, or get out.” Jon stopped laughed and looked at the man, who’s face was turning almost as red as his uniform. I raised my hand to place it on Delilah's shoulder for comfort and reassurance, but I drew back nervously.


Delilah’s Point Of View
“Jon, please don’t. Let’s just get out of here!” I pleaded, rather afraid of what Jon was going to do. I felt Ryan shuffling at my side. I looked over at him and gave him a pleading look. He looked embarrassed and yet intrigued at the same time. I watched as his hand land back in his lap. I wondered what he was doing. He looked at Jon, in attempt to help.

“C’mon Jon, let’s-” Ryan tried to reach over to get Jon’s attention.

“NO. FUCK. I FUCKING- I PAID FOR THIS MOVIE! AND I-IT’S FUCKING- HILARI-” He started laughing again, as loud as he could. I flushed and I got extremely angry. The employee that was standing infront of us, tapping his foot in utmost impatience.

“GET OUT!” He yelped, unable to control himself any longer. I stood up, tugging Jon up by the collar of his shirt.

“Get your ass up,.” I hissed at him. I felt him recoil in slight surprise that I had used such a harsh tone. He stood up sheepishly, like a child who was just scorned for getting dirt on the clean floors. Hot, angry tears slid down my cheeks.

He yelped, “Yeah, Delilah. Let’s-let’s get out of this fucking place. ‘Cause it fucking sucks. FUCK! NO ONE FUCKING UNDERSTANDS ME!” He stood up, and in one smooth motion, he shoved the employee, who tumbled down into the row in front of us. His cry of surprise mingled with the shouts and moans from the people who were trying, unsuccessfully, to watch the film. Jon began storming out of the theatre.

“Jon!” Ryan was quick to his feet. I shook my head at him.

“No, please. Don’t. you shouldn’t have to miss the movie because of this.” I said sternly. I followed Jon quicly, ignoring hisses from the people I passed. My face was probably beet red, so I tried to walk face down. Just as I emerged from the row, I saw Jon whip around the corner of the theatre, letting light filter behind him through the door I made my way out of the theatre, trying to find Jon. Even now out of the theatre, I was embarrassed, , jogging to find Jon in the crowded building. I saw him talking to the usher up ahead, and I jogged up to him, grabbing his arm harshly, and muttering a pathetic apology to the staff.

“Delilah? Is that you?” Jon stumbled a little, but I held his arm tightly, marching out of the theatre. It must have been an odd sight, a girl, two thirds his size, dragging an intoxicated boy out of a movie theatre- but I didn’t notice. I didn’t want to think of what people say- this once. “C’mon, baby. We were having fun. Why’d you force me outta there?” I was going to smack him. Baby? Since when have I ever hear him call anyone baby? I rolled my eyes, and restrained myself because I knew that it wasn’t him. I knew that this wasn’t Jon. This was the exact reason I didn’t like drinking.

When we were outside in the parking lot, I was so fed up with Jon that I imagined myself leaving him here in the parking lot and just taking the bus home home. He was moaning and muttering under his breath, asking me why I had made him leave the move. After all, ‘it was so much fun’. I sat on the curb, letting Jon walk around on the side-walk, intrigued by nothing I could see. I held my face loosely in my hands, bored and a little upset. I heard Jon moaning once more.

“Delilah? Why did you make me leave the movieeee?” Jon whined. I felt frustrated, and didn’t bother responding to him. I could hear him shuffling around. He grabbed my wrists, and pulled them away from my face.

“What?” I said, bitterly.

I got up, and started walking away. Jon did not like this at all. He cried out and started to follow me.

“NO JON. DON’T TALK TO ME UNTIL YOU’RE BETTER!” I jumped up, and started walking off faster than Jon could follow. I heard him yell in the distance. It was now pitch black outside, and even though Las Vegas was surrounded by desert, it got eerily cold at night. Cold air stung my face where the frustration had released in the form of tears. It took me a lot faster than I thought it would to exit the parking lot. I started to jog. I wanted to go home. I wanted Jas to call me. She hadn’t returned any of my text messages, e-mails, and never picked up her phone anymore. Harry answered one, but it said that he was busy and that he’d call me later. He never did. I got occasional e-mails from my other friends, but they didn’t mean as much as it would if it was from Harry or Jas.

My lungs felt like they were slowly filling with water, or they were being compressed together, and my legs felt like they were filled with lead. I realized that I was running at full pace. I stopped, and sat on the curb, feeling bursts of air from the speeding cars that drove past me on the busy street. I ignored the fact that I was lost, and alone. I didn’t want to use my cell phone to call my mother, or she’d hassle me about my friends. She was the same with everything. Stubborn and persistent that she was right, and everyone else was wrong. And she wonders why I never tell her anything. I got up, and started walking again; looking for any kind of sign that might tell me where I was. Not like it would do any good. I hadn’t taken any time to learn the street names or directions of Las Vegas yet; they were all strange and obscure words that meant nothing to me.

I was waiting underneath a street lamp, legs tired, and I was officially frightened. I wasn’t that far from the neon glow of downtown, which meant that I was much more further from home that I had thought. My eyes felt heavy, and I knew that I wouldn’t make it home tonight on leg. I was afraid to call anyone. I didn’t want to hear their screaming lectures. I looked in my purse for the millionth time, hoping that a five dollar bill would appear out of an unexplored crease, but like the first, second, fifth, twelfth time that I had checked, nothing but five cents, a hairclip, and some lint were at the bottom of my bag. Earlier, I had hailed a cab, wondering if they would take me home, but the man yelled at me in some strange language, reached over, slammed the passenger door shut, driving off without another word.

I was sitting in a bus shelter, almost about to fall asleep. I wanted to know the time. I made a promise to myself that if it was past three am, I would try to hitch hike home. For the first time since Jon had called me in the theatre, I slid the cell phone out of my pocket. The front screen read 27 missed calls, and eighteen new text messages. I opened it, and started reading the text messages, trying to clear them off so I could see the time. They were all from Brendon and Ryan. It was like they had realized that I was gone only ten or so minutes after I had run away from Jon.

Meet us at the entrance, we’re coming out. 10:13 pm from Ryan.

Where r u and jon? 10:40 pm from Brendon.

Found jon. Were r u? 10:53 pm from Brendon.

Called your house, where are you? 11:50 pm from Ryan.

Please call me. 12:27 am from Ryan.

I felt guilty and ashamed of myself as I scrolled through the rest the text messages. I also had numerous calls from home, Ryan’s Cell, Ryan’s house, Spencer, Brendon, and even one from Jon. My stomach growled. I ignored it, though, having had hunger pains every day for the last two years had made me impervious to them. I looked around the small bus shelter that I was inhabiting. There was an overwhelming scent of alcohol and urine. The dirty white walls looked brown because of the barred orange lighting above me. A mixed emotion between frustration and embarrassment surfaced.

I had finally cleared my phone to look at the time. It was 1:51 am. Oh, my mother would be pleased that I missed the deadline.

‘If you ever get home.’ I thought, morbidly. I looked around my shoulder and my heart skipped a beat. There was a man sitting by himself in the corner of the small bus shelter, looking straight at me. I whipped my head back around. I breathed as quietly as I could, hoping that if he made the slightest noise of standing up, or coming towards me, I could run away in time. What was I even doing here? I moaned in my head.

The hunched figure of the man seemed to be etched in my memory. His dirt smudged face seemed to be traced in my eyes. I scoffed at myself for feeling so horrified, but it didn’t seem to assuage my terror. I could hear every ragged, uneven breath of his now that I was determined to be dead silent.

I jumped after a few moments of silence. The vibrating phone in my pocket had surprised me. I didn’t even bother looking at the call ID. The sound of anyone’s voice was promising to me. I picked it up and pressed it gingerly to my ear.

”Hello?” I whispered.

“Delilah!” Ryan’s voice poured out of my receiver like a miracle. I was beside myself with happiness. “Where are you? I called your house and your mom said you were probably sleeping over at someone’s house? Why didn’t you answer your phone?” I stood up, half because I felt extremely relieved, half because I had noticed that the man that was slumped in the corner of the shelter had stood himself up and was now nudging closer to me.

“Ryan! I’m so stupid. I don’t know what I’m doing here. I don’t know where I am.” I lowered my voice to barely a whisper. “I want to go home.”

“Can you see any street signs or anything?” He asked, urgency laced in his voice.

“I can go f-find one.” I said, tears overflowing from my eyes. I walked out of the bus stop and started walking at a fast pace towards the sidewalk, ignoring the resistance of my already tired legs.

“I’m on my way to my car now. Just tell me where you are, and I’ll come get you.” I could hear the jangle of keys and the closing of a car door from the receiver. I started jogging, straight out ignoring the dull pain in my legs, desperate for any scrap of direction I could give to Ryan.

“Delilah?” He asked. I felt extremely grateful to have someone who was going to help me out of this mess that I’d made. I slowed down as I reached the street intersection. I exhaled in a sigh, and recited the thick bold black lettering from the sign.

There was a slight pause from Ryan. “I’ll be there in ten, alright? Just stay there.”

“Of course. Ryan, I’m so sorry.”

“Please, don’t be sorry.”

I was quiet for a second. “Ryan?”

Immediately, he answered, “Yes?” I breathed in, wiping the tears off of my cheeks.

“Thank-you.”

“Anytime, Delilah. I’ll be there soon. Bye.”

“Bye.” I said weakly. I shuffled through the orange and yellow leaves that littered the sidewalk and settled myself on a bus stop bench a few yards away after hanging up the phone. It was strangely lonely out here. I had nothing but my thoughts to keep me company. Why on earth had I even felt the need to run away from them and disappear for a few hours? I knew that I had done stupid stuff for attention before, but this wasn’t one of those times.

I traced through my brain, wondering what could have made me feel like I needed to isolate myself from everyone. Why on earth couldn’t I have just taken the bus home? I wrapped my arms around my body, trying to conserve my body heat.
I wished that I was still in London. I’d probably be sleeping over at Jas’s, falling asleep to the radio playing softly in the corner of her room, or falling asleep watching a movie, unable to keep my eyes open anymore.

“Well, aren’t you a pretty little thing. What’re you doing out here so late?” I whipped my head around to see the man who sat in the bus shelter.

He had a long mane of thick wiry hair that he kept in a long pony tail. He was wearing shabby jeans that had numerous rips and holes and a plain white t-shirt that had dirt stains, covered by a worn denim jacket. His pointed face made his scowl more exaggerated. He yellowed teeth showed as he pulled his face into a malicious smile. I was frozen in fear. He shot his hand towards me, but I jumped up like a rocket from my bench a fraction of a second earlier.

“No!” I cried. “My friend’ll be here any second-”

“Too bad you won’t be.” He warned, pressing forward. I stumble backwards, trying my hardest to get away. My heart was thumping against my ribcage. He lunged forward again, but I had stumbled backwards over a sprinkler that was poking almost invisibly out of the grass. I was on my back, and he tripped over my sprawled leg. I ambled up, planning as soon as I was on my feet, I was going to run and call Ryan.

But this time he was quicker than I was.

I was about to burst into a run, when I felt his dirty fingers grasp firmly around my wrist. I struggled as hard as I could, but his hand encircled my thin wrist with more cruel intention.

“LET GO!” I screamed. He only laughed and started pulling me away from the street, into the darkness of the parking lot. “No! PLEASE!” I begged frantically, tears pouring down my face.

He stopped. He pressed his mouth so close to my ear that the scruff of his face scratched uneasily against my skin. “It’ll be fun.”

“RYAN!” I cried desperately. He jerked my head around roughly, leaving me gasping for air. My mind felt heavy, and my vision started to go jet black around the edges. My head spun in tormented horror. I was trying frantically to not think of what was going to happen to me.

As if on cue, I heard the echo I thought I’d never live to hear. “Delilah? DELILAH?” I saw his silhouette sprinting towards me.

All of it seemed to be over in a matter of seconds. The man had tripped, sending me flying a few feet away from him, and I hit my head on the hard asphalt. I heard fabric scuffing against the leaves and cement of the parking lot, and then I listened as the man ran away.

My head was pounding relentlessly against my skull. I opened my eyes and watched Ryan crouch down beside me.. I felt his soft hands graze my cheek and run through my hair.

“Delilah?”

“I’m- So- Fucking- Stupid.” I groaned, pressing my hand against my forehead.

He smiled sadly. “No, you’re not. Come on, let’s get you up.”

“Ryan?” I asked. He looked at me. I noticed how handsome his round striking eyes were. “I was just wondering whether you’re a figment of my imagination?” I asked seriously. He laughed and gently pulled me to my feet.

“I’m real.” He smiled.

“Yeah, but that’s what a figment of my imagination would say.” I protested. He reached down and interlaced his fingers with my own. Now I knew he was just in my imagination. The boy that I liked was holding my hand? It was a little too good to be true. I watched him as he guided me to his car, waiting for his serene image to fade from my mind. But his figure never even flickered.

I noticed how warm his hand in mine felt.

I noticed how he’d look down at his feet nervously, paying a glance to our entwined hands.

I decided it had to be real. If it were all in my head, we’d be making out by now.

Ryan let go of my hand when we got to the car and opened the door for me. I slipped in. I didn’t take my gaze off of him as he walked around the front of the car and slid into his own seat.

“Ryan.” I breathed. My voice was barely audible over the radio. “I’m so sorry. I feel like such an idiot. I’m so immature, I don’t even-” Ryan’s warm, smooth hand was again pressed against my own, and I felt him grab the tip of my pointer and index fingers, playing with them softly, caressing them. I opened my eyes slowly, and turned to face him, his soft brown eyes bore into mine. I studied his gaze, searching for emotion, yet he turned away, and looked wistfully out of the windshield, yet his fingers still embraced my own. He turned back to me; however, he looked at the door handle, averting his stare from mine.

“Don’t worry about that. I’m just glad I have you.” He paused. “No! I mean, I’m glad you’re here with me. Or, I’m glad you’re safe. D-do you want to come over to my house tonight?” He all of that in one single breath..

“Okay.” I agreed. He looked back at the steering wheel, placing the car into drive, and we drove forward. I watched the road before us, and with my peripherals, I saw Ryan look at me, smiling, before placing his gaze back on the asphalt. I inadvertently smiled as well, but faced the passenger window, breaking into a full out beam.
Sign up to rate and review this story