Categories > Cartoons > X-Men: Evolution > That Stupid School Project

September 11th: Stage One

by IWCT 0 reviews

Kitty hides in the auditorium to calm down.

Category: X-Men: Evolution - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Jean,Shadowcat - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2009-11-21 - Updated: 2009-11-22 - 540 words

0Unrated
It was dark in the auditorium, and Kitty was glad. Darkness was a good cover. She felt so very alone, even though just a few minutes before two people had been fighting on her behalf, and they were probably being grilled by Darkholme even as she sat on the dark stage and knocked her heels against the parapet-like edge. She had managed to change back into her regular clothes, and get away from the gym class in the ensuing confusion the fight had caused. There were only five more minutes of good wallow time before the bell rang, anyway.

Kitty looked out at the vague, dark, humped shapes that were the chairs, and sighed. She felt, for some reason, that she had deserted Lance and Betsy’s vampiric friend in their hour of need. Not that she would have been much help facing the formidable Miss Darkholme. Chances were, she would get so nervous about what this might do to her GPA that she would have lock jaw before the Principal could set into her.

Kitty was a good girl, and the only time she had ever been to the principal’s office was when she had accidentally hacked into the files where the science department kept the answers for the department wide mid-terms. That had been explained away with ease, and the matter was dropped, although Dr. Essex had been out for her blood ever since.

All the same, while Kitty was glad of the reprieve, she couldn’t help feeling guilty, as her imagination supplied her with the mental imagery of the principal turning into a large purple monster and tearing Lance and the Goth girl up for supper. She wished that she hadn’t caused all of this trouble. If she could sink into the floor and disappear, she would have done that.

“Hey, Kitty is that you?” Jean’s familiar voice filtered out of the darkness.

“No,” Kitty replied bitterly.

Jean was friends with Amy and Riley, and had probably come to tell her not to get them in trouble.

“If you’re here to tell me not to give those research papers to Dr. Essex, you’re too late. He’s probably in Miss Darkholme’s office right now, trying to get those evil friends of yours expelled,” Kitty added, just to make it clear to Jean that she, Kitty, was not going to be any one’s lapdog anymore.

“Research papers?” Jean sounded almost sincerely confused. “What friends? Kitty, could you please start at the beginning?”

“Yeah, ‘m a little confused m’self,” an Australian ascent added from, behind Jean’s now barely visible figure.

From the yelp Jean gave she was as surprised as Kitty, who had started violently.

“Is there anybody else here?” Jean called out in annoyance, “Betsy? Kurt? Scott?”

“Nope, just me,” John replied cheerfully.

There was a click, and the stage lights flared. Kitty put a hand over her eyes to ward off the sudden brightness. Jean blinked rapidly, and they both looked at John’s grinning face with irritation. He was standing by the light switch, ignoring the withering glances.

“So, if y’sheilas aren’t going to tell me what’s going on, I can I guess?”
Sign up to rate and review this story