Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

Family Gatherings

by wordhammer 0 reviews

A birthday, a ball and a wild rumpus

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Hermione,Narcissa,Neville - Warnings: [!!] [X] - Published: 2009-12-15 - Updated: 2009-12-15 - 12765 words - Complete

4Insightful
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all related concepts are owned by someone who isn't me. I will never seek or accept money for the circulation of this work.


Holly Evans and the Spiral Path
Chapter 37
: Family Gatherings (A party, a ball, and a wild rumpus)

*

Newt, I want to always remember this. Write it well.
Yes, Mum.

Transcription of Operation: Shock and Aww, 26th July, 1994, starting 2:09 PM

Natalia Tonks reaches down to the Octogonagall table, enabling Newt to climb up easily to her shoulder as agreed. Minerva McGonagall approaches her from the staircase. Natalia turns to face the Professor as she begins to speak.
Minerva: "Miss Tonks; excuse me, Auror Tonks- where are you going?"
Natalia's face splits into a wide grin.
Natalia: "I'll be there, Minerva! I just have an errand to run."
Minerva: "This can't wait for another day, Natalia?"
Natalia: "Uhhm, no. Don't worry; I'll be back in time. Try to make sure Hermione is breathing normally by then."
Minerva: "Miss Granger? Whatever do you mean?"
Minerva turns to follow Natalia's gesture as she points towards Hermione, who is quickly hyperventilating as her fingers trace across the titles of various volumes on the library shelves.
Minerva: "Miss Granger! Are you...?"
Hermione: "(Gasp!) (Gasp!) (Gasp!) Oohhhhh..."
Hermione collapses, caught and diverted by the Octogonagall table to land awkwardly in one of the leather armchairs.
Minerva: "Oh, my!"
Natalia: "Best of luck with her!"
Natalia Apparates to the Burrow, in view of a pick-up Quidditch match twixt Holly, Ron, Ginny, the Twins and Cedric Diggory. She watches the fast and free-wheeling game for several minutes, until Cedric outmaneuvers Holly on a bad change in snitch vector. Fred, Ginny and Cedric crow over their victory for a moment before everyone notices their audience. Holly swoops down to land in front of Natalia, gasping for breath. Holly is sweaty and her cheeks are flushed, but her smile cannot be dimmed. Holly embraces Natalia with verve.
Holly: "Hiya, Talia! What brings you here?"
Natalia: "Chauffeur duty. Hey you lot! I'm taking the loser here away for an unplanned meeting. We'll be back later, alright?"
The general consensus of slightly disappointed agreement prompts Natalia to turn back and embrace Holly once more. Natalia gives Holly a kiss on the cheek and Apparates to a dimly-lit one bedroom space nestled in a quiet section of an urban neighborhood.
Holly: "Well this is unexpected. Is this your flat?"
Natalia: "Yup. Home, sweet wage-drain."
Holly: "What's the occasion, not that I mind?"
Natalia: "Well, slightly less than three weeks ago, this became legal for me to do."
Holly: "Wha...?"
Natalia moves in and snogs Holly with a wet, moaning kiss. Her hands begin to wander.
Natalia: "This... and everything else that we've done before, is now perfectly legit. I know it means little to you, but I think the law is important!"
Natalia resumes kissing Holly, who responds eagerly. Holly runs her hands through Natalia's hair as Natalia begins to thread her arms around Holly's waist, pulling her undershirt from her denims. Moving her hands around to Holly's front, Natalia's fingers trace the sides of Holly's ribcage and enwrap her breasts beneath the sweat-dampened cotton cloth. Natalia breaks their kiss as Holly gasps in pleasure.
Natalia: "Don't you ever wear bras?"
Holly: "You're complaining?"
Natalia: "Hah! No! I have only three rules for you, Miss Evans."
Holly: "Rules?"
Natalia: "One: don't question anything until after dinner."
Holly: "I wasn't planning to, so long as we keep skin contact for the most part."
Natalia: "Agreed! Two: I can be whomever you want, but I only want you to be Holly today, okaaaay?"
Natalia accompanies her request with a firm squeeze and caress of both Holly's breasts.
Holly: "(Gasp!) Whatever you say! (Moan!)"
Natalia: "Last rule: don't hold back on my account, Hols!"
Transcription skips to later in the day (because Holly says her memories of those hours are just fine, thank you).
Around 5 PM a tone like a temple gong sounds from Natalia's wand. Holly lifts her head from resting in a down pillow while her bedmate continues to...examine her.
Holly: "What... (GASP!) ...was that?"
The young dark-haired gentleman disengages from inspecting between Holly's thighs, speaking in a cantankerous Georgia drawl.
'Dr. McCoy'-Tonks: "Damnit, Hols I'm a metamorph not a music critic! Oh. Well, it's the alarm."
Holly's head drops back into the pillow. A shiver rises up along her spine until she suddenly twitches her head to the side.
Holly: "God... I love that accent..."
'Dr. McCoy'-Tonks: "Call me whatever you want, you're not gettin' outta this exam, missy!"
Holly: "MMMMmmmmm! Bones! Is there a cure?"
'Dr. McCoy'-Tonks: "Well, aside from a mint julep and some bed rest, I'm doing everything humanly possible!"
Holly smiles.
Holly: "Yes! Yes you are!" (Gasp!)
Tonks finishes off Holly's current enterprise over the next twenty minutes and then shuffles them both into her shower for a quick and frisky scrubbing in her native form. Both women are finally dressed in comfortable clothes at a few minutes past six when Natalia's wand makes another insistent gonging noise. [Newt jumps onto Natalia's shoulder from a torn lampshade.]
Natalia: "Ohhh, late as usual. C'mon, Hols! We have reservations!"
Holly: "Won't the Weasleys be looking for me by now?"
Natalia: "Nah, Molly's been informed of our dinner plans."
Holly finishes tying her boots and stands up to briefly kiss Natalia's lips. Holly smiles but then gives herself a worrisome once-over.
Holly: "Thanks for grabbing clean togs, but I hope this place isn't too demanding about..."
Natalia grabs Holly around the waist and Apparates, appearing in the library of the Madhouse.
Holly: "...dress codes."
Remus, Hermione, Minerva, Natalia, & Dobby: "SURPRISE!"
Holly's hands jump first towards her holsters in a trained response, but then rise to her face in shock and delight.
Holly: "Oh! Oh my GOD! You are all so... thank you!"
Holly's smile is infectious and everyone joins in to sing a badly-coordinated version of 'Happy Birthday', except they all stop before the last line, which is instead sung to a solo, lilting glory by Hermione. Natalia holds the birthday girl securely from behind as Holly is slumping slightly, overwhelmed with emotion. Remus steps forward following everyone's applause for the song (or that it had ended).
Remus: "And now for the best surprise..."
A deep cough indicates that a man clearing his throat is somewhere behind the assembled revelers. Everyone else quiets down as Hermione and Minerva move to the side to reveal a tall, thin, dark-haired man in a velvet dinner jacket and smart dress attire, just standing from the reading chair. Sirius Black clears his throat and gives a weak smile, steeling himself as if about to give a first speech to the Wizengamot. Everyone holds their breath as Sirius struggles to form heartfelt words; he still needs to translate them before speaking.
Sirius: "I'd like to... introduce... myself. I... am... Sirius Black. (Heh!) And... if it... wouldn't... insult you... I'd like to... a-adopt..."
Holly doesn't wait for the man struggling to find his words and launches herself across the room and into a hug that is greatly and immediately reciprocated.
Holly: "DADDY!"
Sirius: "(Oof!) I guess... that's a... 'yes'."
Holly: "I know this is weird but would you believe I've wanted to say that for as long as I can remember?"
Sniffles are heard from everyone in the room. Holly's muffled sobs into Sirius' chest are paused for a brief entreaty.
Holly: "All hugs are good, y'know?"
Minerva turns and embraces the two Blacks, followed quickly by Hermione. Natalia grabs Remus by the arm and they encircle the group. Dobby threads his way into the mix until he can wrap his arms around Holly's right leg.
Dobby: (Crying hysterically) "We's is so much in the lovings with you, Mistress Holly!"
Sirius: "I think there's something... seriously (heh!)... wrong with your... elf."
Natalia: "Hah! You have no idea. Oh, did you say 'elf'? I thought you said 'life'."
Holly: "Shut up and hug or I'll start calling you 'Nymphadora' again."
Minutes pass, until the emotional potency of the moment begins to wane. From deep within the affectionate mass of people, Sirius muffles out a question.
Sirius: "Is anyone else... hungry?"
Transcription ends.

That'll work, Newt. Thank you. I notice you decided to tag along Natalia's private gift as well.
I always enjoy seeing you happy, Mum. I'm sure Grandmum feels similarly.
Uh-huh. Similarly, but probably not as viscerally. I don't mind that you watch, but try to remember who reads this, alright?
Okay. But if I don't write it somewhere I'll start dripping ink everywhere...
I'll buy you a new Everlasting Scroll on the next shopping trip, I promise.
If they wouldn't lie when naming their products, we wouldn't have this problem.
I'll add that to our list of tasks following 'World domination'; # 78: 'Punish the wicked for false advertising'.


Minerva, thank you for the eight-sided travel case. It really doesn't hold any more than a standard four-compartment trunk, but it's just COOL! Even better, the Oriental green-lacquer styling nearly matches my quiver. I'm still trying to find all the compartments. I think a few more open up if the Feng Shui of the room is properly aligned. Expert gift-hunting on your part; bravo!
I know that you had to run off right after dinner to meet yet another family new to the magical world, so I'll catch you up on some of the goings-on from after you left. Before that though, I'd like to say thank you for being my godmother. You've still got the job even though Sirius is stepping into the more direct parental role- I told him under no circumstances was he to attempt to act parentally, as we both agreed that I was the more mature of the two of us. I guess what I'm saying is that I still desperately need and appreciate your guidance.

We all chatted amiably for a while, until Hermione regretfully said that she needed to go back to France so that no one missed her for more than her six-hour non-absence by way of Time Turner could cover. We had a brief conversation just as she was about to leave. Originally she wasn't planning to see me again until just before the World Cup, but I suggested that she come to Ginny's birthday party on the 11th.
Transcription: 26th July, 1994, starting 8:11 PM
Holly and Hermione stand in the corner of the library nearest the loo. Dobby bounces anxiously next to Hermione's leg.
Hermione: "Did Ginny say to invite me? I didn't think she liked me that much."
Holly: "No, but I could use some backup for A-day part 2."
Hermione: "Heyday? 'A'-day! Ani-... right! I will make the utmost effort! Oh, but I should also bring a gift. What do you think she'd like for a present?"
Holly: "A nice, loose-fitting but opaque dressing gown."
Hermione: "So she can grow into it?"
Holly: "Because she'll be in front of her brothers..."
Hermione: "Oh! Good thinking. Wait, what's her size?"
Holly: "As tall as you but a 22 inch waist, 32 inch hips with A-cups atop a 30 inch band."
Hermione scowls briefly.
Hermione: "Perhaps I should include runes for the Modesty Charm stitched into the lapels. You seem awfully certain of those numbers..."
Holly: "Yah. You and she have had similar experiences- accidental intentional fondling with yours truly. But ahhh... don't bring it up. She's not a lesbian. See you in two weeks!"
Hermione: "But I'M not a..."
Dobby disappears with Hermione before she can finish her protest.
Transcription ends.

I don't think you were there for it, but Hermione made Dobby a Glamour amulet that makes him look like a dwarfish human, so that he can interact with muggles safely. We decided to call him Bobby Evanson when he wears the amulet. Hermione also gave me 'Weapons of the World' - a catalogue and discussion about armaments going back to thrown rocks. Pranking her like that probably wasn't the nicest 'thank you'- I'm fairly sure Dobby landed her near her shared cabin in Bordeaux loudly exclaiming '...lesbian!' Any accusations of conspiracy between me and my elf to bring about that result will be flatly denied.

Once it was down to the four of us, Natalia chose to do us all a favor and dragged Remus into the bedroom. He really is looking a lot better under Natalia's 'therapy', don't you think? Sirius and I spent the next few hours telling stories to get to know each other better, beyond what Moony had told each of us about the other. At one point, Sirius came over all weepy and apologised to me for all that he couldn't do because of his rash actions the night of my parents' death. I told him I'm happy as a girl, and explained some of what Lily had known and done in anticipation of her martyrdom. Sirius then apologised to me again, though he called me Lily. He fell asleep with his head in my lap soon after.
All the next day, Sirius and I traded stories while hanging out together. We fed Buckbeak up in the field (which I now understand is how he re-entered Britain without being detected) and I could almost see him healing before my eyes. I think adopting me is mending his psyche- he knows that this may make up for some of the trouble I've come into because of his absence. By the afternoon, he was teasing me about my upcoming 'date' at the Malfoy’s. At this point he's not stuttering but has to substitute words when they don't come to him.
(I have to transcribe this as Newt was preoccupied watching round fourteen of Remus and Natalia in the bedroom. We still don't have a winner and if they're both conscious past round fifteen Newt gets to make the call.)

Sirius stopped his idle stroll with a look of concern and looked towards where I was sat on the short stone wall aside the field. Buckbeak was settled down next to me in an unusual bout of laziness, probably due to being overfed on ferrets all morning.
"You need a middle name. They'll expect it. More names means more... more-ness. Minimum three for entrance, I assure you."
"Well, if you're to be my father then you should give me a name, don't you think?"
"You ask me when my... when my... when I can only think of a few words?"
"It doesn't need to be complicated. I'll tell you if I don't like it."
Sirius walked around in the wet grass a bit, thinking. I petted Buckbeak as I waited patiently.
"Green. No. Grah... grrrarrr stone! Like your eyes."
"Emerald?"
"Your dad's name, like."
"Jim, James, Jamie, Jane... oh! Jade?"
"Eureka!" and Sirius did a quick little jig. Buckbeak crowed dismissively at his antics. I looked at him skeptically.
"You can't think of 'jade' but 'eureka' comes naturally?"
"Maybe I'm lying."
"You're out of practice."
"Hah! Don't I know it."
"Holly Jade Black. I approve."
"So, Miss Holly Jade, are you looking forward to dancing with... money people?"
"Really, alot, no. Aside from having no experience dancing, I don't know if there will be anyone there I can even tolerate for long conversations, Malfoy's son being at the lowest end of my afforded patience."
"Sweet on young Draco, are we?" His grin gave away the obvious tease.
"Please! Never has any person existed that is so 'not me'. Polished, refined, useless, evil... and he bats lefty."
Sirius gave me a confused look. "I thought you were... both?"
"Exactly! He's very narrow in his perversion, and he doesn't even acknowledge it. Whereas I..."
While I left my sexual definition unspoken, Sirius stepped forward to give my shoulder a squeeze.
"Holly, I think we need to talk about this a bit. I need to know you'll be able to... react... restore... represent (hah!) the House of Black in a way that follows our... trav... traditions and doesn't shame our... uhhh... dead people or kids-to-be!"
"Awww, but I was planning to publicly using the broth tourine as a commode!"
"No, no, that suits the Blacks perfectly. Carry on, then."
Sirius' smile set me off and I giggled for a minute as he strutted about proudly. I then began to frown, thinking of how 'out of my depth' this soiree is likely to put me. Sirius noticed and stood more naturally, watching me for a moment before deciding to speak.
"Holly, do you have any real concerns about this... thing?"
"Well, yeah! As I have no chance of impressing them with my couture or even polished manners, I'm not sure where to start! I'm hoping to glide through saying as little as possible, perhaps after torturing the Malfoys in private. I mean...” I stood up and started pacing to ease my rising tension. “Enemy forces have invited me into their castle under the Aegis of honourable hospitality- how can I not accept? The risks are small and the rewards could be great. Worst case- I kill some people in escaping and we spend time travelling together after that."
"Can I hope for that... uhh... ending?"
"Well okay, but I'm actually hoping to improve my reputation for once.” With a sigh, I sat myself back onto the stone wall and looked at him with a ‘learning face’. “Sirius, tell me truthfully. What's this event about and what should I expect? What am I in for?"
Sirius strolled back and forth as he considered the questions and how to word the responses. "I can't say what the Malfoys want, but the Lammas Fete is a... thing for the first harvest, where people of... the land celebrate their... harvest. It also acts as a 'coming out to society'... thing."
"I think my sexual bent is already public knowledge, even if unproven."
"Hah! Not that. A young master or maiden is presented to... uhhh... uppity people... society as they are announced as themselves, and not as 'child of...' nnh. Get it?"
"Oh. So I'm being débuted. I'm a debutante! I should make them buy me a real dress."
"Oh, absolutely! As the Malfoys invited you, they're... they have to provide. Probably bring in a seamstress to build it from scratch. Ask for diamond... edge things and spirit-pearl earrings!"
I had to tease him for that one.
"You wish you were a debutante too, don't you?"
Sirius gestured towards the Nott's main building, off in the distance.
"Yah. I spent my coming out running away here to live with the Potters. No fancy dress for me, damnit, and I have such attractive ankles too. I learned to dance, though. I'll teach you that."
"Are you really okay with all this?"
"Holly, I can't think of a greater prank on the whole of magical... magicals than Lady Holly Jade Evans, of the Ancient and Noble House of Black! I, Remus and no doubt your parents are proud as can be."
"Really? Because this is actually just a warm-up."
"What do you have planned?"
"Why, a double life as a criminal mastermind, of course. I shall be Harry Potter, humble servant dedicated to the safe protection of the people by day. But at night, Holly 'the Unholy' Evans, lethal scourge of the unworthy and plunderer of innocence stalks the streets!"
Sirius clutched at his chest and took on a strange expression.
"Oh... my hero! Is there anything I can do to help? I feel like I have a... bunch of time... decade of gifts to buy and happy events to make up... for."
"Honestly?"
"Yes! Holly, aside from a few paperwork... uhh... things, I have little to do but fret over you now." Sirius looked exasperated. I guess he doesn't feel adopting me goes far enough to redeem his mistakes. I thought for a minute about the man before coming up with what I think will be a great thing for both of us.
"Can you make me a motorcycle that flies like yours?"
Sirius became a little weepy right then.

We practised dancing while the daylight lasted and following a final dinner together Remus accompanied him back over the Channel on Buckbeak. Natalia and I stayed the night in the Madhouse and in the morning Dobby brought me a note from Sirius asking if I preferred classic hogs like his Triumph or rice-burners which seem to be rising in popularity in the two-wheeled world. He seems really enthused.
Oh, and Natalia defeated Remus with a full knock-out in round fifteen. Newt had to get me to step in and save Natalia from drowning though, because she had slipped backwards into the hot tub right after jumping up from the bed in celebration of her victory. It only delayed dinner by an hour.

Elevating your blood pressure with love,
Holly

*

28th July, 1994 (still)

Mum,

Before returning to the Weasley's, Natalia put me through my paces on combat spells. I used our family hug as inspiration for my Patronus and it looked like a big silvery Grim. I can't make a Hedwig anymore. My Hermione variant is still stomping her patent-leathers with authority, though.

Love,
Holly

*

29th July, 1994

Holly,
I am so very glad you enjoyed your birthday celebration, and I feel truly blessed to continue to fulfill the role as your godmother. That said, I’m likely to be quite relieved to be quit of the job next July if you continue to rush headlong into danger, particularly if you are doing so just to torture me! I believe you and I had best sit down and come to an understanding of how we should interact publicly before you return to school, young lady!
The change in your Patronus isn’t unheard-of, although it is rare. As you can imagine, the representation of the protective spirit called forth in your defense can be redefined in the face of a traumatic experience, particularly the death of the one by whom you felt yourself being protected. Don’t think of this as any indication that you’ve stopped caring for Hedwig. Subconsciously you are aware that she can no longer protect you as she had in the past, but more importantly you are recognising Mr. Black as your protector. This is good and healthy, in my view. My only concern would be if Harry were to conjure forth the same Patronus as you do. Unfortunately, having Mr. Potter call forth Miss Granger as his protector may also prompt some indelicate questions. I recommend that you continue to practice the spell once you return to Hogwarts and see whether another form can be cast by Harry. With any luck, you won't have need of the spell for quite a long time.
As for your escapade this weekend, I wish you the best of luck. More than you could possibly imagine, I wish you luck. Give my Floo a call if they permit it- I'll likely be sitting by the fireplace until I know you've returned safely from the Malfoy’s'.

With love,
Minerva

*

30th July, 1994

Grandmum Minerva,
Holly got stuck in the Malfoy's Floo because it detected me. I’ll post here the interaction that lead to my stay at the Longbottoms.

Transcription: 30th July, 1994 starting 10:51 AM GST

Holly appears in the Floo-connected fireplace of Longbottom Estate in a swirl of ash and unbalanced witch. She stumbles to the rug and is promptly helped to standing by Neville Longbottom. Dame Augusta Longbottom stands in regal repose across the room, glaring at Holly.
Neville: "Welcome, Holly! I'd like to introduce you to my gran. Gran, this is Holly Evans. She's a good friend from school."
Holly brushes off her new charcoal dress robes with the 40 buttons along the left side, composes herself and then does a passable curtsey for Dame Longbottom.
Holly: "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Dame Longbottom. I am Holly Jade Evans of the House of Black."
Neville: "You are?"
Dame Longbottom: "No, she is not. This girl is your school friend. As she is not attending this afternoon's festivities, I will simply ask that she depart for the Malfoy's at her earliest opportunity. I do not appreciate having my house used as a way-station!"
Holly: "No offense was intended, Dame Longbottom. I have a gift for Neville for his birthday, an invitation to an informal celebration for Ginny's birthday to deliver and the unfortunate role of associating with two families who are likely to declare a clan war if given provocation. I do not apologise for being considerate enough not to ask them to link Floo's nor for being efficient."
Dame Longbottom: "And what is this gift you're receiving, Neville?"
Holly: "Is it not common to wrap gifts so that the mystery of the contents adds to the enjoyment?"
Dame Longbottom: "Don't act coy with me! Neville, I wish to know what contraband this girl intends to place in the hands of my grandson!"
Holly: "It's a wand holster, like those used by Aurors. Neville's parents were Aurors, were they not?"
Dame Longbottom tries to kill Holly with an even icier stare before responding.
Dame Longbottom: "They still are. Have your friend be about her business, Neville."
Holly hands forth the small wrapped package. Neville takes it with a downturned nod of humiliated gratitude. Holly reaches her hand under his chin and tips his head up enough to look him in his sullen eyes.
Holly: (whispering) "Happy Birthday, Nev. Just think- you're one year closer to taking a flat in Diagon for yourself! I'm sorry I can't stay. Well, a small fraction of a teaspoon sorry, yah?"
Neville grins.
Holly: "Oooh! Excellent smile! I may have to greet you at the platform the way we parted last time if you give me that smile."
Neville: "M-maybe if I come for Ginny's birthday, you can greet me that way then?"
Holly: "Neville! How can I give your Gran a heart attack if she's not there to see it?"
Neville barks a quickly-suppressed laugh as Holly steps back into the fireplace, tossing a handful of Floo powder from her hand as she retreats.
Holly: "Malfoy Manor library!"
Holly spins in the swirling green flames, holding her arms close to her body as she goes. Holly makes as impressive an entrance into the Malfoy library, or she would have if she didn't encounter narrow-spaced iron bars at the other side. They ring with a 'Clang!' as Holly collides with them.
Holly: "OW! What the...?"
Lucius: "Apologies, Miss Black. Our security has prevented your entry. It seems you're carrying some sort of parasite."
Holly: "Parasite?"
Lucius: "SOMEthing is attached to you. Something alive and... unrecognised."
Holly: "Oh. Uhh... that's... something I picked up recently. I'll leave it behind and be right back. Longbottom Estate!"
Holly drops another handful of Floo powder from her pouch and spins back to the Longbottom's, landing somewhat upright by grasping the side of the mantle as she arrives. Her appearance interrupts an argument.
Neville: "...friends I've got, and I'm one of hers!"
Holly: "Sorry about this! Minerva gave me this journal to stay in touch with Harry, but the Malfoys don't appreciate the breach in their security. Would you please hold onto it for me for the weekend, Neville? You won't be able to open it, so I trust you trust that it's safe."
Dame Longbottom: "Neville, don't you dare...!"
Neville: "I'd be delighted!"
[Newt slips quickly into the Journal as Holly hands it off to Neville.]
Transcription ends.

~Newt~


*

1st August, 1994

Newt,
I was wondering if you knew or had heard anything regarding the Fete, as you're stationed in what has been rumoured to be the center of Pureblood gossip amongst the elder generation of witches. I am concerned for our Holly. Any news would be appreciated.

With love,
Minerva

*

1st August, 1994
6:00 PM, GST

Grandmum Minerva,
Lurking around here has been educational. I introduced myself to Neville as Holly’s imp and convinced the young man to use an old family wand to gift me with some transcriptions from their library. We’ve become friendly. I like him. He likes Mum alot. You are also correct about Dame Longbottom's taste for rumourmongering, though most of the intriguing bits are typically traded during their afternoon tea and Whist games, so I have nothing to share about the Fete from that source.
However...
An hour ago Neville asked me if I knew whether Holly was accompanying anyone for the Fete, since he wasn't going to be there to see it. When I told him she was expecting to walk in with Draco Malfoy, he got a panicked look and asked if Holly knew about the handfasting. I told him that she hadn't said anything, and that he was the only boy her age that I'd heard Mum speak about affectionately.
He looked quite dapper in his dress robes. Help is on the way.

~Newt~


*

2nd August, 1994

Mum,
I see Newt's been busy. Making friends. Planning my future.
I have much to relate, but not as much happened as we were expecting. For one thing, they were initially surprised that I chose to attend as the invitation was a formality. I’m looking forward to Sirius recovering more of his mind, as that wasn’t the only societal nuance he failed to mention- I almost got test-married to Draco! If Sirius were more mentally together, I would suspect the old dog had actually pranked me on that one.

As Newt described, I was stopped at the iron gate in front of their Floo connection. After returning Newt and the Journal to the Longbottoms I returned and was told to surrender my wands- Lucius knew I have two. I handed over the black walnut wand and then explained that my primary wand had been given to Harry in anticipation of a replacement from Ollivander. I had left the quiver at the Weasleys, so his detectors didn't find anything else, wand-wise. All I had was my jewelry and the Chinese box with some clothes and essentials.

Lucius Malfoy made me feel more welcome than Dame Longbottom, but not by much. After a brief discussion about why I would be safe under their protection, we took the complimentary vows of hospitality. I was then taken on a tour of their estate by a nervous older House-elf named Froople. I eventually dragged out of her that Dobby was notorious amongst elves now, and that Froople was nearly the only elf of the cadre owned by the Malfoys brave enough to approach me, lest they also fall into bloodthirsty depravity as well. Froople wasn't convinced that Dobby spends most of his time watching telly when he's not cooking and cleaning for my house, but I at least convinced her that I wouldn't try to liberate any elves that didn't express a desire to change owners. Watching Froople beat herself up over her unconfessed feelings on this offer was painful, so I promised not to acknowledge her at all for the rest of the weekend unless it was necessary. (As it turned out, that was the last time I saw Froople until this morning. Her head has been added to the collection mounted high above the mantle in their library. Forced retirement, I'm guessing.)

After a tense dinner with the family, Lucius invited me into his personal den. Draco tagged along, much to his father's irritation, but it obviously wasn't going to be a big deal or Draco would have been turned away at the door.
"Perhaps you'll join me for a Cognac here in my private study, so that we may... clear the air between us"
We three moved into the room, with Draco standing by his father's chair looking at me with a sneer as I alighted in the guest seating. Lucius began pouring liquor at a side table as I rearranged my robes for comfort. Draco tried to act suave. "I'll have a half glass, father."
"No, you won't." Lucius' irritation was obvious even to Draco by that point.
"Draco, your father doesn't need to loosen your tongue as you haven't learned yet when to shut up. Why don't you sit quietly in the corner and pay attention for a bit. You might learn something."
"Why you...!"
"An excellent suggestion from our guest, don't you think, Draco?"
"I... ahh, yes Father." Draco grumped over to a reading chair further from the hearth, glaring at me for the rest of the chat.
Lucius bantered with me for a bit, saying that Narcissa would guide and instruct me over the next day or so to help me acclimate to the finer life. He explained that they had no ulterior motives in inviting me as the offer was made to any recognised noble family, and their own research had confirmed my claim to House Black. We drank. The second glass was poured and my jade ring got buzzy. I twirled my finger around the rim of the glass as Lucius refilled his own.
"Sir, I have one other question."
"Please ask it. I feel like we're beginning to understand one another."
"Why did you give Ginny that diary?"
Lucius saw that I was staring right at his eyes when he looked up at me. A brief mental battle ensued, but I didn't expect to break through his barrier- I used the distraction to apply a Switching spell on our snifters. Lucius recovered his veneer of politeness and raised his glass to his mouth, pausing in contemplation before responding.
"It was a mistake; an attempt to discredit a minor annoyance by humiliating him and his family. I had no notion the book held so great a power."
Right before taking a sip of the Cognac, Lucius sniffed subtly and stopped the forward tip of the rim. I was still staring at him as I took a gulp of my untainted liquor. He set down his glass and smiled at me wanly.
"Perhaps now would be a good time for us all to retire and consider for a time. There is much to do. Narcissa has arranged for a friend to come in and make you a dress suitable for the Lammas Fete. I hope you appreciate our hospitality. Yappi!"
A small, thin House-elf with bushy eyebrows over beady eyes appeared with a quiet snap. One look at me and he averted his gaze as if I were Medusa.
"Take young Miss Black to the guest quarters you have prepared. Acquaint her with the amenities and see to her needs. Now."
I stood up, smiled and thanked Lucius for the Cognac, passing my glass to Draco after curtseying graciously. Lucius leaned back in the chair watching me as I followed the fearful elf out of the den and through the hallways to my assigned rooms. The accommodations were luxe- my rooms easily matched the whole space of the Madhouse, though without the interesting reading selections. Despite an indulgent bath, my nightmares were more hauntingly intense that night. Remind me to avoid hard liquor in the future.

Over my time there I decided that they were making an extensive attempt to see whether I could be recruited to the Pureblood way through the lure of fancy living. They alternated making me feel special and privileged with snooty remarks about my social skills, hoping I’d fall for a kind offer to teach me how to be a social-climbing vassal to a minor house and stop trying to undermine society (like I was really trying before!).
Dressmaking in particular was an exercise in fawning and humiliation. Narcissa's 'friend' is actually Lucinda Laurent, the designer that left Madame Malkin’s to establish her own upscale fashion shop in magical Birmingham. Saturday morning, Narcissa brought Ms. Laurent to my sitting room where she quickly conjured forth a velvet-covered platform for me to stand upon for measuring and fitting. After a brief pause, Narcissa asked me to disrobe for the sake of accurate measuring. I considered doing a fast switch but fell back on not giving away secrets needlessly. Once I had removed my robe, skirt and blouse, both women stood stunned to see me completely unburdened by underthings.
"W-well, we'll have to see what we can do with such a... stocky frame. Oh! All these scars... you'll need something with unseasonably complete coverage. Narcissa, you have definitely provided me a challenge!"
"Speak in such a manner of my charge once more, and I'll own your shop and have your name equate to muggle-wear throughout Europe."
"I meant nothing... I had no intention... well, thankfully your coloring and hair are so complementary!" at which point she strategically shuffled off to hunt down her measuring tape. Narcissa gave me another of her 'lessons about privilege' then, though she seemed distracted slightly while looking at my scars, nearly reaching out to touch the new one from the shotgun as I stood there.
"Don't bear such... remarks lightly, Holly. You must chastise those who work for you if they prove insulting, or else they won't know their place."
Despite her tone, Narcissa was supposed to be the 'good cop' compared to Lucius' 'absent but sinister cop'. Much of the same sort of byplay characterized my afternoon and evening, with constant admonishments about proper behavior coupled with samples of lavish living and rather subtle conversation meant to extol the hedonistic virtues of 'have' over 'have not'. Draco took pleasure in watching my education, particularly howling with delight when I made an obvious faux-pas. My temper remained even, to his frustration.

I was again plagued by intense nightmares that night. By this point the poor sleep and constant game-playing were making me a bit snarky. In the morning I rose late (for me, which means half seven) and shambled down to the solarium wearing the satin bedwear provided. Everyone else was dressed for the day. Lucius took one look at me and left the table. Draco was kind enough to guide me about behavioral standards.
"You don't wear bedclothes outside of a bed-room, Evans!"
"Oh, I guess I'll just take these off then," and I started to unbutton my top.
"NO!"
"Draco, don't shout. Yes Holly, you should stay clothed as you are. Disrobing here would be less appropriate, but I sense you knew that."
"Really I meant no insult... at first. In fact, I wasn't expecting you all to be early risers on a Sunday. Not likely to be attending Mass, are you?"
"You'd as likely get the same response for asking Granger to a bloodletting."
"Draco!"
"Oh. Thanks, Draco. That was educational. I'll be sure to avoid all topics concerning faith for the evening as well."
Draco seethed out a further recommendation while I sipped my tea. "You'd be best served not opening your mouth to speak at all this evening!"
"Well, it's good that you've riddled out my plan. See? Exposure to me is already improving your thinking." I redirected my attention to the matriarch while he blustered, knocking the diced grapefruit into his lap. "Marvelous tea, Mrs. Malfoy. Who brewed it?"
"Holly, it is best to assume that the mistress of the House is responsible for the quality of all the meals." Narcissa's cocked eyebrow gave indication of the level of irritation caused by my current stumble. I played through.
"Oh. So what's the mix and did you steam it, steep it or filter it?"
"Why would you want to know?"
"To teach my elf... oh, hah! How silly of me. Dobby probably already knows. Please, forget that I asked."
Draco huffed from the table, smacking Yappi out of his way. The little elf recovered quickly and cleaned up Draco's place setting, still avoiding my eyes.
Narcissa coldly uttered "Consider it forgotten," and spent the rest of the meal acting like I didn't exist. I liked the solarium. I should ask Florean if the budget will allow me to add one onto the house, since we're reconstructing and all.

It took the rest of the day to prepare the public areas of the manor for the occasion. I was also shuffled into my rooms four hours before the start to begin my 'grooming'. After the first hour I realised the offered glass of wine was meant to help me let my groomers do their work without my interference, so I downed two glasses quickly and lapsed into a dress-me-up meditation state. I looked fairly amazing when they were done. My hair was pinned up into an ornate bejeweled knot, leaving the fringe over my forehead to cover the Scar. The dress is a dark green number with long sleeves and a wide collar that Ms. Laurent had covered with a sheer fabric to mask my more prominent scars. She used the same fabric across the low-scooping back for similar reasons. I could have done with fewer skirt layers but when I first arrived in the room set aside for debuting youths, I realised that Narcissa's 'friend' had made sure I would fit with the season's style, if not the colours. The other girls were wearing dresses in paler summer colours but as you can guess I didn't mind appearing incongruous. They knew it too, as they seemed to recognise me and turn away, in unison. Surprisingly, this also included Susan Bones, Cho Chang and Alicia Spinnet.
As you may have guessed, my savior was none other than Master (now Mister) Neville Longbottom. He arrived late for the arranging of couples but in time to save Draco from himself... and me.
Draco had strode up to me, grabbed my elbow and started hissing in my ear.
"We'll be walking in together. Use every dram of grace my mother has unearthed in you these past few days to not embarrass me, would you?"
"Draco, as a favour to yourself don't clutch at me. I'm thinking you walking in with only a bloody stump for a hand might fall into the category of 'embarrassing'."
"M-may I have word with M-miss Black, Draco?"
"Who is stupid enough..."
"Neville! I'm so happy to see you!" As Draco had let go of me to address the person interrupting his whispered tirade, I was able to spin around him until he was facing a curtain and I was able to give Neville a hug. While in our embrace I whispered into his ear. "Save me from killing this prat- I'm likely to trip him and slit his throat as we walk in together."
"Why yes, Miss Black. I'm h-happy to see you as well. Uhhh... may we have a moment of privacy, Draco?"
"What are you doing here Longbottom?"
Neville gave him a curious and confused look, like Draco was being stupid. "I was invited."
"Yes but you never attend!"
"S-so you should be happy the House of Longbottom has f-finally accepted your hospitality, I should think."
In a surprising twist, Susan Bones ran interference for us.
"Excuse me, Draco, but I noticed that your father has run off suddenly to your library. I hope there's nothing amiss?"
Draco's eyes bugged out and he excused himself to cross the room and speak quickly with one of the attendants. Neville then thanked Susan for the help and turned to me with a concerned look.
"Holly, we should walk in together but you can't be on my arm."
"Okay, but why not?"
"If we do, they will expect you to be handfasted to me for a year and a day."
"Wouldn't that be logistically trying? I mean, you'd have to go to the girls' loo with me and everything..."
"It's like a trial m-marriage, Holly."
"Oh. Well, I can see where we wouldn't want that."
"I-I wouldn't want to trick you into it. If you spend time with me, it should be because we both... want to." Neville gave me such a meaningful look right then, but he could tell pretty quickly that I was in a defensive mode and not likely to swoon. After a prim smile and a brief nod in thanks I strode over to Draco with Neville trailing behind me as I removed my right satin glove. As Draco turned toward me about to protest my walking in with Neville I tapped his bare wrist and hit him with a Confundus: "Don't worry, Draco. Everything is proceeding according to plan." As he lurched slightly under my influence, Tracey Davis came up next to me, staring up at him in concern.
"Is everything alright, Draco?"
"Hoooo... Hollll... Holly says everything's good."
Tracey was decent enough to keep her terse accusation to a whisper. "Evans, what are you up to?!"
"Saving myself for love. Would you like to enter alongside Draco for me? I'm sure it can't hurt your reputation and I'd like to accompany Neville. I'll owe you one..."
Tracey gave me a hard stare for a minute before giving me a saucy wink. "You look nice, by the way." She turned and hooked her arm through Draco's, guiding him to the front of the debut line, loudly proclaiming, "Oh, Draco! Yes, I'd love to walk in with you!" I think this was her way of supporting a fellow short girl.
Following an unplanned mental diagnostic, I settled in behind them with Neville at my side. I held his hand as we stood in preparation to enter, but I was careful to make no contact as we were heralded. All for the best, as I needed both hands to keep my skirts from tripping me up on those infernal heels. They announced me as 'young Holly Jade Black, of the Ancient and Noble House of Black.' The room did a snap-to when the Black name was announced, but I could see nearly half of them had no notion who I was as they began to whisper semi-discreetly to ask their friends about me. As you can imagine, my welcome didn't get any warmer as information was shared. Neville told me that they called me 'young' because I'm debuting before my sixteenth birthday. I decided not to correct him.
I danced twice after the initial entrance parade- Draco and Neville each took me for a swing, though for Draco it was an exercise in frustration. He finally figured out I was trying to step on his toes about five minutes into the waltz, when he noticed my grin kept getting wider the more annoyed he became. When Neville led me across the dance floor, it was more an exercise in coordinated stumbling. His mis-steps exaggerated mine so that half the time we were Fred and Ginger, the other half Fred and Barney. Sorry, muggle references- graceful as professional ballet dancers contrasted with a pair of oafish longshoremen. I think the essential problem was that I kept trying to lead whenever I stopped trusting his dancing skills.
Part of my discomfort was that a ball gown and heels aren't to my liking- I felt like I was wearing wide collision braces while constantly tipping forward. I had several embarrassing incidents that I refuse to relate... well I should mention this one since I can't blame it on the dress. As the room was being adjusted in preparation for less formal dancing and more seating, I said something that seemed decent in my head but came out rude when spoken in the open air.
I was approached by an attractive, well-gowned woman with dark chestnut hair and pale skin, accompanied by her young daughter- she looked to be close to starting Hogwarts.
"Are you enjoying the Fete, my dear?" (It was probably the wording that set me off.)
"Oh, yes. Absolutely. The food isn't poisoned and I've avoided the more brutish wine to keep a clear mind. If I can just walk through the rest of the evening without feeling like I'm about to rip someone's dress off, I'd consider it a success!"
The woman looked at me like I was a sex fiend and so I tried to explain what I meant.
"Oh, I mean, because I'm feeling unbalanced, y'know?" Even with hand gestures, I can see where I was misunderstood. She quickly shuffled her giggling daughter across the hall to engage in polite gossip with an older woman, one of her more regular social contacts I'm guessing. I found out later that these were Greengrasses and Astoria is already going to be a second year Slytherin. After that I switched from drinking wine to just ice water with a slice of orange.
Unfortunately, Neville was retrieved by his discontented Gran about an hour into the dancing. I spent the rest of the Fete snacking on finger-food and moving between tables to catch conversations, usually inducing the current occupants to politely decide en masse to change their seating arrangements. I'm fairly sure everyone who attended had more exercise that night than at any Lammas Fete in recent memory. Aside from my own provocative presence there were a few other gasping moments amongst the gentry, but without Neville there to interpret I had no idea what sorts of scandals were happening right in front of me. Narcissa approached me late in the evening, suggesting that if I was fatigued that I was permitted to retire to my chambers.
"How long ago was it that I could have retired, Milady?"
"It is 'Lady Malfoy', Miss Black. I am not royalty. You could have left after your dance with Draco, really. Staying through another hour would have been sufficient to not appear as if you were applying only a minimal effort."
"So I've been sitting here freaking out your guests for the last three hours for no reason?"
"That is one perspective."
I had finally figured out my role in all this. "I'm the dancing bear, aren't I?"
"We'd never stoop to hiring animals for our amusement."
"Your sense of humour is as dry as the finest white wine, my hostess."
"How observant."
"Yah, I'm done. Thank you for a wonderful show. I liked the food."
I stood up and left at a brisk trot with the high-heeled shoes hidden in my skirts so I could escape semi-gracefully. After returning to my rooms I doffed the dress and had a long bath before tucking into bed.
Aside from four Tracking Charms I've removed, I departed the Malfoy's amicably this morning.

Holly

*

Holly,

Oh thank heavens! I was certain their invitation was a lure to set you into a compromising position. I can't say that there was nothing to those fears, as you seem to have ably wriggled out from several traps during your stay. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to sleep for the next 48 hours, as I've been consuming Pepper-up at intervals to ensure I would be available if you needed me. I am happy to hear you are safe.

With love,
Minerva

*

3rd August, 1994

Minerva,
I have discovered and released an Obliviation the Malfoys applied at the end of my last night there. Lucius is an expert but I had already planned on carefully checking the memories of my stay, and I only remembered sleeping without nightmares on the last night- when my paranoia would normally be at a decent volume to prevent deep sleep.
I understand why he wanted these memories blocked. They start from when Narcissa came into my bedroom to seduce me.
I had just woken from another horrible nightmare to find Narcissa sitting beside my bed, applying a damp cloth to my forehead. She was dressed in a floor-length white negligee with fabric about as sheer as the gauze used in the gown to hide my scars. Her face was the perfect semblance of caring concern.
"Holly, are you alright? You were having some sort of night terror. Blood was seeping from your... scar." The way she said 'scar' might explain why her nipples hardened just then. Narcissa moved forward with the damp cloth again to make sure I saw them clearly.
"I was. Thank you for your concern, but why are you here?"
"My personal elf came to me in concern for your condition. I know something of... nightmares. I came to see if I could help you." She took on a convincing 'haunted' look before continuing to dab the cloth on my forehead. "Is there anything I can do for you, to help ease your troubled mind?" Her breath caught in her throat as she rose to sit on the bed next to me, looking down to my satin-covered chest even as she reached to tenderly brush some hair away from my forehead. Her other hand grazed against my breast as she propped herself in front of me.
"Well... "
"ANYthing, Holly. It would mean more to me than you know, to have someone appreciate the kindness, the tenderness that I can offer you." Her imploring twist as she said 'anything' caused our breasts to rub together through my satin top and her sheer gossamer whatever. "This place can be so cold, so... isolating."
She's good. And well-practiced. It was an appeal to me on several levels, including a hint at snubbing her cold-hearted husband. I can tell you two things about Narcissa Malfoy that I discovered at that moment.
One: she has not been Marked by Riddle, despite having a sophisticated Occlumency barrier.
Two: I am not the most sexually twisted creature you will ever meet. Narcissa wins. If you're really curious I'll explain why some other time.
Armed with my insight, I responded in a way I doubt she was expecting, as it really threw her off her game.
"Narcissa, I cannot thank you enough for all that I think you are offering me, but to be plain I cannot make love with someone until I love them. We've only just met."
"I think... that you presume too much, Miss Black."
"I'm Miss Black again?"
"Well..." Narcissa began to draw back to her full aristocratic posture. She took a moment to claim her silk dressing gown from the floor and settle it around her shoulders.
"I do appreciate your kindness, but I have been plagued by these nightmares during my whole stay. Is there something you were hoping to ask of me, in return for your... kindness?"
She sat back and regarded me with a sad look for a minute.
"You appear to be just as canny a woman as I. In another life, we might have been friends."
"This one's not over for either of us. Tell me what you wanted."
Over the next twenty minutes, Narcissa and I politely fenced until she got around to telling me that they wanted my participation in a ritual to reinforce the wards on their estate. They had chosen a particular arrangement that requires a periodic renewal of magic from the family and a recent guest, so that their protections would isolate their private spaces while leaving the public ones open enough to have special occasions like the Lammas Fete and still 'keep track of things'.
After tentatively agreeing to consider participating, Narcissa had me blindfolded and then led me through a maze of corridors and switchbacks until I was brought to a cold stone chamber underground. Lucius and Draco were there already, each wearing a white silk cloak and a Warming Charm at most. At the center of the room was a multifaceted block of granite.
"Ah, my darling Narcissa has brought Holly to our consecration. Well done, my wife."
"Lucius, I have not garnered Holly's agreement to participate."
"What?"
"Sir, it's like this. Narcissa explained what you want to do, but I haven't agreed to do it yet. I have questions."
Draco's face began to screw up in frustration, but Lucius gave him a quick gesture to shut down his frothing rant. Narcissa just stood silent with a bowed head. After a moment, Lucius stopped trying to sift my mind and spoke plainly.
"Miss Black, what would you like to know?"
"Why me? Why now? And... what is it worth to you?" That last bit caught his attention more than anything else I'd said all weekend.
"'Why you' is simple- you have demonstrated great power. Your blood in our wards would strengthen them just as greatly. Why now is obvious- now is the time for such rituals. Should you decline, we'll have to wait until Samhain to reconsecrate, after inviting another guest to receive our hospitality."
"Yeah, one that will actually help..."
"QUIET, Draco. You are not adding to our position by opening your mouth."
"Sorry, father."
"Y'know, it might help your position if you were to actually apologise to me."
"What? I don't owe you..."
"Do so, Draco. Now."
It took the spiteful wretch a full minute to come up with the wording.
"I... apologise to you, Miss Black. I... have been rude and insulting to you, in a way that reflects poorly upon my family as your hosts. Please... forgive me." I think a urinary tract infection would have been more pleasant for him.
"Consider it forgotten. Sir, do you have an answer to my last question?"
"Well, what did you have in mind?"
"Sponsorship. I'd like to attend the Magical Society, Law and Politics class at Hogwarts."
"Done."
Lucius then explained the basics of the ritual we were to enact. As we all disrobed, I took note of the fact that I was the only one at all turned on by this, but from what I understand about Narcissa and Draco, it's not really that surprising. The rest of the trick was us all dancing naked around the rock and then cutting our hands open to drip blood onto it. As I was last to donate, I turned to Lucius holding the silver sacrificial dagger and asked him if he still needed it for the ritual.
"No. Just set it aside."
So I melted it using a wandless Infernus. Their rock got the blood needed for the wards, but I wasn't going to let them keep any extra. They seemed a bit perturbed at that, which is how I got Obliviated- while I was watching for Lucius' reaction, Draco pulled a pipe-shaped holdout wand from his arse and hit me with a stunner. It didn't quite do the trick, though I was knocked to the floor. Lucius gave him an earful before deciding that their overall family performance that night was less than exemplary. I was brought back to my room and dumped in my bed, at which point Lucius hit me with the Memory Charm. At least he told me to have pleasant dreams instead.
I'm fairly sure I left the Malfoys guessing as to my true feelings on things, as we both got something from the exchange and Narcissa could only report back that I wouldn’t have sex with her because I don’t do that with people I don’t love. I'm beginning to reconsider that policy however; sex can be used tactically, as Narcissa was attempting to demonstrate. Hey! I learned something from the Malfoys! I also know that they'll still sponsor my participation in the 'Purelood rules' class, as it was in exchange for my blood- they'll act like it's a boon, but now that I have the memory back we know it's actually a magical contract.
I believe we've reached an understanding- don't assume anything about each other. Like they shouldn't assume I didn't leave anything behind just because I didn't take anything with me when I left. I think I'll go to next year's Lammas Fete, too. That way I can collect the year's worth of conversations from various rooms in the Manor my little transcription runes will be storing.

Holly

*

12th August, 1994

Grandmum Minerva,
In perhaps a small breach of protocol, I will be relating the results of a little post-birthday party meeting of friends on the Weasley grounds, wherein the Marauders were formally re-chartered in conjunction with some appropriately embarrassing shared experiences. Holly wanted to write it herself, but then they all took vows to keep their Marauder-related secrets between them. I'm not signing or vowing anything for this lot!

Transcription: Marauder's minutes, Sketcher reporting. 11th August, 1994 starting 11:48 PM GST

Holly is in an isolated copse near the edge of the Weasley property, near their swimming hole. For the fourth time she has had to interrupt her preparations for a binding circle in the clearing to catch the Glowing Mite that keeps wandering off whenever she moves from Moony's scroll diagram to inscribe the next set of runes into the circle. With an Immobilis thrown from the black walnut wand, the brightly-glowing green faerie creature is once more locked in position above the boulder where the scroll is laid out. Four red-headed Weasley children and a Granger enter the clearing wearing dressing gowns over bedclothes, causing Holly to look up from her work.
Holly: "Hello, one and all! And... one extra..."
Fred: "Yeah, sorry about this but Ron..."
George: "...enabled our escape so we couldn't really..."
Fred: "...leave him behind, could we?"
Ron is distracted, whipping around Holly's ashwood wand and performing small transfigurations on a lump of rock in his hand, interspersed with giggling.
Holly: "I'm sorry, how did Ron...?"
Ginny: "We were all caught in the kitchen, but then Ron hit Mum from behind with a Confundus using your untraceable wand there. Sent her to bed for a long well-earned rest, he did!"
Hermione: "Yes, we all were quite bollixed until Ronald stepped in."
Holly: "Okay. Ron! Where'd you pick up the wand?"
Ron looks up startled, and then beams in Holly's direction.
Ron: "Well, I heard this lot sneaking out, and when Mum nicked them I pulled this from Ginny's robe pocket. Do you know, it works better than my own wand? Look at this!"
Ron swishes the wand once more, causing the boulder to levitate from behind Holly and land gently in front of her. Holly squints at him for a moment, looking almost annoyed.
Ron: "So, what are you all up to, anyway?"
Most of the assembled stand slightly abashed while Holly considers how to answer the question. She is interrupted by the arrival from another direction of Neville and Natalia.
Natalia: "Hey you lot! I brought your straggler. Why's everyone looking like they were caught?"
Hermione: "Well, we sort of were. We were just explaining to Holly..."
Holly cuts through the nervous tension with a smile.
Holly: "Ron! Welcome to our little underground experiment. I think it would be great for you to participate as well."
Fred, George & Ginny: "It would?"
Holly: "Yes, it would."
Hermione looks over at Holly for a moment and then smiles in realisation, nodding her approval.
Hermione: "Yes, this might help Ronald to clear his head..."
Ron: "Alright, but what are y'doing?"
Holly: "Hermione, will we have enough?"
Hermione: "Of the Purging draught, absolutely. For the other, I think it will work with smaller doses, but it would be best to keep a close eye on portions."
Holly: "Ron, we're going to find out what you and your siblings' Animagus forms might be. As a part of that, you'll be introduced to some things that you must keep secret. Can we trust you?"
Ron: "Wicked! Yeah, absolutely!"
Holly steps back for a moment while everyone greets each other again; chatting about what they think their form will take. As Holly finishes up burning the binding circle into the dirt, a far-off screech of what sounds like a great predatory bird can be heard. Holly stands up and looks around the group until everyone's attention is on her.
Holly: "First, a vow and a brief history lesson. Each of you will take one of the two wands being handed 'round and whichever feels better to you, you use that to vow. The wording is this: 'By my magic, I swear to keep the secrets of those gathered here today and the secrets of the Marauders. Nothing that happens this evening will be discussed with anyone outside of those attending, and never discussed when others may hear of it. So mote it be.'"
Over the next ten minutes, the assembled students pass around the ash and walnut wands until everyone has spoken the oath, though Natalia uses her own wand. Holly seals the deal with a last admonition.
Holly: "Should one of us break this vow, it shall be upon the others to prank them so hard that they wished they were Gilderoy Lockhart. So say we all."
All: "So say we all."
Holly: "Now a quick history lesson. Twenty years ago Hogwarts was plagued by the most legendary of pranksters to set foot within its halls in many a year. They were a quartet of Gryffindors who vowed a secret vow that you may be allowed to vow at the end of this night- a commitment to righteous mayhem the results of which are still feared and reviled, particularly by Severus Snape, their most frequent victim! They operated using codenames to protect their pranking identities. Of the four, one has died, one betrayed the group and the other two are currently watching us from the shadows. You have already met at least two of them. They named themselves by their non-human forms; Prongs, Wormtail, Moony and Padfoot. Prongs is the one no one here would have known- he was James Potter, Harry's father, and he could become a stag. The second was Peter Pettigrew, though you knew him as Scabbers.
Ron: "Scabbers! That filthy rat was really a man?"
Holly: "Yes, Ron. Wormtail betrayed the Potters because he had become a Death Eater. If you see Scabbers again, please kill him."
A commotion rises up as most of the audience begins recounting troubling experiences or coming up with questions.
Holly: "Oi! Let me finish the tale, then we have mischief to make! Ponder the what-if's when we're not mid-mission!"
Everyone settles back down.
Holly: "Right. The third Marauder is our recent Professor for Defense, Remus Lupin. He is a werewolf, which is one reason why the other Marauders searched out this magic and mastered it. They wanted to help him during his monthly bouts of ferality. The last... is Sirius Black. Now, if you accept..."
Again a commotion rises as everyone begins voicing similar but differently-focused concerns.
Holly: "SHUT UP! If you accept what I said about Wormtail being a Death Eater, you might easily see that Sirius Black did not betray the Potters, and is in fact entirely an innocent man."
Sirius and Remus step forward into the light as Sirius gives an irritated, blustering cough.
Sirius: "Well, not entirely innocent, but certainly not guilty of betrayal! I have a reputation, y'know?"
Remus: "HAD a reputation, Padfoot."
Holly: "Oh, I'd say the Black name is as notorious as ever, Moony."
Remus: "Had a good time at the ball, did we?"
Holly gives Neville a sidelong grin while answering.
Holly: "Only while the company was worth it."
Neville blushes and dips his head but smiles just the same.
Holly: "Alright you lot! So here's why our guests are here. Sirius and Remus have first-hand knowledge of the experience of becoming an animal, and will guide you through this process and into the next steps if you choose to master this potential talent. While they walk you through the process, Hermione and I will get things set up."
Hermione rises from sitting on the ground and walks with Holly over to a small campfire where the Purging Draught is simmering. Holly starts to dump the apportioned Animagus-revealing potion back into another cauldron as Hermione sets down next to her.
Hermione: "Holly, I... I want in."
Holly: "Not sure I follow you. You already tried this once. If your Rehumanizing Draught purged the cat from your chromosomes, you'd just be a swan, wouldn't you?"
Hermione: "Not that. You've uncovered much more about what's going on than the truth about Sirius Black. I want to know... everything."
Holly: "Well, I'd accept that last statement as axiomatic..."
Hermione: "Holly!"
Holly: "Hermione, not now. Please?"
Hermione: "You've changed your intent. It seems like you're actually cultivating this 'bad girl' reputation, and since I know the Headmaster has earned your ire- yes, Ginny told me about that- I can only assume you have specific intentions with how Harry will be seen by society. All this, not to mention that place where we had your birthday; that's some sort of hidden lab, isn't it? Some of the books there haven't been seen in decades, and I noticed Lily Potter's name in several places amongst the works."
Holly: "So that's what's got you revved up? Secret knowledge is in my hands and you want access?"
Hermione: "Holly, it's more than that! You're my best friend. I am with you. You can trust me; at least now I can say that with certainty."
Holly: "Hermione, I'm glad to know that you're with me, but I AM a 'bad girl'. I've done things... you may not agree with. Let's wait until school to talk about this. I want us to enjoy ourselves for just a little while longer."
Hermione gives Holly a nervous, questioning look.
Hermione: "E-enjoy ourselves?"
Holly looks at Hermione in exasperation.
Holly: "As friends! I can't assume you'll agree with my choices, so I'd like to leave the secrets where they are for a little while longer. Before I wanted you to stay my lover, but now I'm worried... that you won't stay my friend."
Hermione stares at Holly as she finishes doling out the portions of glowing blue liquid.
Hermione: "Alright, but then I want to know everything. I won't betray you, Holly. I may disagree with you, but I won't betray you."
As the girls stand up together, Holly kisses Hermione on the cheek.
Holly: "I still love you, y'know?"
Hermione smiles.
Hermione: "Yes, well we both know there's quite a lot wrong with you..."
Transcription skips the amusingly horrific details.
During the subsequent testing, Ron became a sort of fox-dog known as a dhole; Fred became a raccoon, George a beaver and Ginny was transformed into a Black-rumped Flameback woodpecker.
As Hermione hears the fast-flying bird make a series of chirps and trills, she also notices Holly's face fall. They retreat to the small campfire once more. Holly dips her head, sobbing quietly.
Hermione: "What's wrong, Holly?"
Holly: "I can't hear birds speak anymore."
After consoling each other for the loss of Hedwig once more (while ignoring the sounds of Ginny retching into a bush) the girls are drawn back to the binding circle by the rousing cheers and shouts of surprise as Neville finishes his transformation into a massive alces elk.
Holly: "Whoa Neville! Nice rack!"
Fred & George: "Beat to the punch!"
Transcription ends.

After the raucous festivities, Sirius, Remus, Holly and Hermione came up with names and everyone swore an oath as Marauders. Holly accepted my offer to have some of it posted here, so you'll know who's who if they get stuck mid-transformation. Hermione warned them about the conflicting mindset required for Occlumens versus Animagi, but only Neville seemed concerned.

We solemnly swear that we are up to no good. Our charter is established to aid the membership in our cause: humbling the prideful, unbinding the uptight, disarming the aggressive and defocusing the obsessive, because comedy is an essential component of a happy life and as such shouldn't be left to amateurs. No one is safe from us, especially each other.

Sirius Orion Black = black Irish wolfhound 'Padfoot'
Remus John Lupin = (werewolf) = 'Moony'
Holly Jade Evans = rook = 'Rook'
Hermione Jean Granger = cat-swan = 'Kittyhawk'
Natalia Nymphadora Aphrodite Tonks = (metamorph) = 'Callisto'
Ginevra Molly Weasley = woodpecker = 'Flambé'
Ronald Bilius Weasley = Asiatic wild dog or dhole = 'Dingo'
Frederick Fabian Weasley = raccoon = 'Bandit'
George Gideon Weasley = beaver = 'Snapper'
Neville Elmer Lewis Longbottom = alces elk = 'Mooz'


Holly also put to Ron a challenge- if he proved his worth as a Marauder and kept their secrets, she would see to it that the untraceable Ashwood wand would become his. In the meantime, she gave him a jade 'poison-sniffing' ring and pointed out that his thinking may seem clearer from now on, what with all the potions he'd been fed now purged from his system. Ron nodded emphatically with an unusually clear and focused expression on his smirking face.

~Newt a.k.a. 'Sketcher'~


*

18th August, 1994

Mum,
I'm going to the World Cup early to work for Florean, staying in his tent at night. If this is a problem... I love you; I respect you, but tough toenails. I asked Sirius and he said it was okay. Dobby's tagging along so I'll never be without backup. Come by for a scoop if you have the time!

With love,
Holly

*


Not Exactly Omake: Holly and Natalia's pillow talk, the night after the surprise party.
"So you're saying I'm of age now?"
"As far as you and I having sex is concerned, yes. Age of Consent in the U.K. except Ireland is 16."
"Aren't those mundane laws?"
"Well, magical society doesn't bother, so we inherit the rules of the land."
"Are you saying child molestation isn't a defined crime for the magical?"
"Hols, magical law still struggles to control people like Hagrid from breeding Fire Crabs with fenceposts. If the muggles allow it and we don't have a contravening law, the Law Enforcement Deputies won't argue. They just enforce the standards. If a wizard was arrested by the Bobbies and Obliviators recovered him they'd turn him over to the LEDs and use the muggle records to prosecute the idiot. As Aurors, we're worried about magical crimes, not mundane crimes by magical people. Believe me, we're already understaffed."
"So there are LEDs who handle natural crimes and Aurors who handle magical crimes. How come I've never seen a LED?"
"Well, you have but they're mostly administrative. They aren't trained to do more than swagger around or sift and Obliviate muggles, aside from handling the records. Patrolling and arresting, infiltrating and tracking are Auror jobs. You'll see a bunch of LEDs at the Cup, usually in teams under an Auror commander."
"Anyone ever move up from the LEDs to the Aurors? Wait. Silly thought. Turning lead to gold..."
"Yah. 'S why I went for Auror at the outset. If I hadn't made it, I'd be dirt to both groups. You saved my career! Now I can fulfill my dream of tracking down lawbreakers like you and putting you in chains! Y'wanna?"
"Absolutely nutters, you are. Let's see me in Scarpin's."
Natalia waves her wand accompanied by a mumbled phrase in Latin, ending by tapping Holly's right nipple causing a brief 'yelp!' and a threatening look from Holly. The ghostly writing scrolls out, suspended above Holly's chest for their inspection.

Holly Jade Evans, Black
61.7 inches in height
141.1 pounds in weight
Dark red hair, thin and straight with average length ~28 inches, fringe over forehead
Green eyes, uses corrective lenses for myopia
Date of birth: [data unclear]
Chronological age: 16 years, 21 days
Apparent maturity: Majority, not yet Entitled
Unusual markings:
Prominent jagged scar, center of forehead
Large puncture scar on right shoulder
Large puncture scar on right side of thorax below the ribcage
Numerous small linear scars across the upper back, back of the thighs, shoulders and triceps
Wider linear scars across collar, upper chest, breasts, waist, lower abdomen and thighs
Circular 2-inch scar on lower right abdomen, matching scar on back
Right index finger; last knuckle to tip tinted purple (temporary)


"Evans, 'comma' Black?"
"I dunno; maybe until the papers go through it's just a possibility in your mind."
"Sixteen as of July 6th, eh? Looks like I picked up a stone's weight as well."
"All muscle, I'm thinking."
"You know you love it!"
"I wouldn't have pushed you to work out if I didn't! Wrap me in your strong arms, my Lady."
(giggle!) "Oh, wait! We're cousins now!"
"Hols, we already played about when you considered us incestuous sisters."
"Oh, right."
"Y'know, I'm not sure this adoption thing is good for you. The higher you rise in social standing, the stupider you seem to get."
"Explains a lot about the peerage, yah? Although I think there's a better explanation."
"What's that?"
"I get dumber the more time I spend with you."
"Damnit! I knew you'd twig to it eventually..."
"What?"
"I'm eating your brain! I'M EATING YOUR BRAIN!"
Natalia licks Holly's ear and then begins kissing her way down Holly's neck.
"Yah! Sucking it out through my... whah... oooh... mmmm... oooOOoooooowhatever."
Natalia secures a manacle to Holly's ankle with a 'K-Clink!'
"What the...?"
"I reaaaaalllly missed you, Hols! So you're staying here a little while longer."
(Sigh) "I love it when you vanquish me."

*
Sign up to rate and review this story