Categories > Books > Pendragon > The Untold Truth: A Sequel to the Quillan Games

Chapter 1: Back to Quillan

by Pendragonlover 0 reviews

Bobby Pendragon is called back to Quillan. This time, he is called by a girl named Layra and together, they become Challengers and are forced into the Quillan Games, which have grown more deadly an...

Category: Pendragon - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2009-12-31 - Updated: 2009-12-31 - 1388 words

0Unrated
Quillan. The game playing territory well known for its wide variety of challenges, from physical battles to mind-racing obstacle courses to computer-driven tests of speed and agility, in which Challengers, from all across different territories compete. But on Quillan, the stakes are much higher. It’s not your simple game of chess. Bets are placed on the competing challengers and depending on whether or not your chosen challenger succeeds or fails, you could be in big trouble. Real, big trouble. The “Losers” are taken off by Quillan’s security force of Dado’s. In other words, they’re killed. The winners on the other hand, live the life of a King. One in particular had played these games, along with the Grand X and had succeeded. His name is Bobby Pendragon or better known as in the city of Rune, Challenger Red.

Bobby had agreed to play these games and in the end, he thrived. He had triumphed in games from Zadaa, Eelong and Cloral and others like Tato, Hook and Tock. More so, he’d walked out successful of the Grand X after defeating Challenger Green, none other than Saint Dane. But Quillan had paid a great price when Bobby realized he and the other Travelers had been greatly betrayed. Nevva Winter had given away the location of Mr. Pop which was then destroyed, crushing the territories’ final trusts and hopes. Those games continue on to this day with your hosts, announcers and CEO’s of the Quillan Games, Veego and LaBerge.

It was on one day, home on Second Earth when Bobby’s ring began twitching and quivering. Up till this point, his plan was to chill out and relax for a bit before jumping into the flumes and re-entering the territories but it looked as if that wasn’t the case.

“What the-” Mark began.

“I-I don’t know what’s going on,” said Bobby unsurely. “Usually I’m the one sending journals.”

“You think it’s from an acolyte?” suggested Courtney, staring curiously at the growing ring.

Bobby shrugged. “I dunno,” he answered. “I didn’t think there was anything important going on at the time, but, hey, guess I’m wrong.”

After the familiar lights and musical notes came to an end, there next to it, was a small, neatly rolled up parchment. The paper was soft and held together with a blue sapphire colored ribbon. A delivery had been made.

“Look familiar?” asked Mark.

“Not really,” said Bobby, holding up the parchment. He began to untie the ribbon inquisitively and quickly opened up the paper, and began to read, with Courtney and Mark listening closely.

It read, “Dear Pendragon, I hope this letter has found you and I hope you’re doing well. I’m not sure which territory or time period you’re from but wherever you are, I’m asking you to leave that place at once. No, I’m telling you to leave at once. Only three days ago, I received an invitation from a territory known as Quillan and it seems as though I’ve been requested to come and stay and become I guess what they’re calling, a Challenger. Looks like I’m going to play some games but that’s not why I’m sending you this. I need you to leave home and come to Quillan. I know you’re probably wondering who the heck I am and what this has got to you, but I know all about your stay in the city of Rune and Mr. Pop and you’re playing in the Grand X. Don’t worry, I know your story. But anyway, I really need you to meet me here on Quillan. I’m new at this whole game and I’m sure things will work out with a Traveler with me. Please, I’m confused about the whole invitation as well. I was positive Quillan was guaranteed a continuing future of what happened with the destruction of Mr. Pop but apparently, things aren’t done yet. Again, I need you to meet me on Quillan. I’m leaving my home tomorrow morning at around eight thirty. I have no idea how time works on your territory but hopefully we can find each other. How about this. We can meet at this so called Castle place I’m being driven to. Alright? Alright, enough chit chat. Are you with me or what? Warm regards, Layra.”

“Layra?” said Mark. “Who the heck’s that?”

“You think she’s a Traveler?” asked Courtney.

“Who knows?,” said Bobby, rolling up the parchment. “But I thought Quillan was done after what happened with Mr. Pop. What’s up with this?”

“It could be another turning point,” suggested Courtney. “You know, kinda like how Veelox had another turning point with Ibara? Maybe Quillan’s not done after all. You could have another shot at this.”

“Yeah,” said Bobby sarcastically. “I just love those games. No pressure really, only if you lose, you die. Oh, I dunno. I know I’ve gotta go, I’m just, kinda unsure about this Layra person. What if she’s Saint Dane?”

Mark and Courtney exchanges quick glances.

“Yeah, that’s bad,” said Mark. “You know we could always come with you. We could-”

“No!” said Bobby quickly. “I know you two want to help but I can’t risk that, again. You two are being helpful enough reading my journals and I promise I’ll keep writing on Quillan, that is, if I’m actually going. It’s the only thing that keeps my head together, literally. Keep them safe, okay?”

“Okay,” nodded Mark. “But, you know, if you ever need us,-”

“I’ll call,” smiled Bobby.

“So, are you going?” asked Courtney.

Bobby sighed. “I guess so.”

Before leaving, the three hugged just like all those times when Bobby had been unexpectedly called to a territory. This time was no different.

Bobby went to the Sherwood house, alone and by this time, it was already ten o clock. It was dark and the streets seemed to be in shadow, especially with this creepy old, probably haunted house. He never liked the look of the place but there was no turning back now. He was on his way to Quillan. Again. He opened the door, cautiously peering about in case of any sign of lurking, stalking quig-dogs. Not knowing where Saint Dane was or where his plans were, there was no telling where those beasties could be hiding. Luckily, he didn’t come across any so it looked like the cost was clear. He quickly made his way down the familiar flight of stairs, opened the basement door and walked in and came face to face with the time traveling flume like he had who knows how many times before. He walked straight up to it and took a moment to gather his thoughts, wondering if he really outta leave home and return to Quillan to meet this mysterious, unknown gal. Was she a Traveler, an acolyte or worse, an alliance of the demon traveler? Those were questions he’d have to find out for himself. There was no other way. He was going to Quillan. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes and called, “Quillan!”

Instantly, the flume sprang to life with the familiar cracks and shifting of the rocky walls. Like always, it sounded like some sleeping creature had awoken from a dead sleep and was stretching. The light came blaring into his eyes, forcing him to look away for a split second before hearing the expected jumble of musical notes that always accompanied one’s trip into the awaiting flume. He was on his way. In seconds, the force pulled him in and he was once again staring about at the bright space within the flume. All he could see was the seemingly, ongoing space that looked like a dark, quiet evening, without stars. He laid down and tried to make the most of this. He had no idea what was in store for him on the deadly, game playing territory but what he knew for sure was the one thing he could enjoy was the calm, relaxing, silent trip into the flume. So for now, it was goodbye Second Earth and hello Quillan.
Sign up to rate and review this story