Categories > Books > Pendragon > The Untold Truth: A Sequel to the Quillan Games

Chapter 2: Arrival at the Castle

by Pendragonlover 0 reviews

Bobby arrives at the castle of the game masters and there, meets the mysterious Layra.

Category: Pendragon - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2009-12-31 - Updated: 2009-12-31 - 3133 words

0Unrated
Layra. Who the heck was Layra and how did she know about Bobby and the other Travelers? The question was how much did she know? Was Layra in fact a fellow traveler or worse, was she an accompany of Saint Dane or worse, was she going to play him over and betray him and the rest of the travelers, exactly what Nevva Winter had done? Was she aware of the shape shifting, demon traveler named Saint Dane? Did she know of Acolytes and above all, Halla? A million thoughts flashed through his mind while he drew closer to the end of the flume. When finally the ride came to an end and he was dropped off, he came face to face with a familiar destination. He’d been here before and he never hoped on coming back. But here he was.

Like his first drop off on Quillan, he’d landed in a storage like room that was simply filled with boxes. Hundreds and hundreds of boxes, all stacked on top of one another. They were of all sizes too, some small, some big, some not so small and some not so big. You get the idea. Like last time, there were again, those plates with the logo Blok written along the bottom. He could only remember that dreaded company too well. Over time, the cooperation of Blok had eventually taken complete control over the territory and forced the citizens to participate and become involved in a harsh way of life; by being a part of a series of deadly games with deadly outcomes. It scared Bobby thinking he was actually back here and feared how worse things had become here on this game playing territory. He was about to find out.

Luckily he didn’t have to worry out those creepy crawlers, the robotic, quig spiders. As long as Saint Dane was nowhere near this territory, he was safe from those freaky critters. He moved his way through the alley of boxes and in no time, found his way out through the tall, double wide door, climbed up a flight of stairs and found himself in that all too familiar game room. Or at least what he called a game room. The room stretched off for what seemed like forever with a variety of loud, big bang games from pinball to shooting games to races and even dance dance revolution. Sure, it would have been great to plump down at one of those babies and start playing, if he weren’t so scared of losing and being snatched and taken away by a Dado. Those guys were creepy and not because they were intimidating, but because they were robots. They knew no emotions. They were just…emotionless.

He strolled by, observing each game and turn and saw a couple of people playing. He felt bad for them, wondering how close they were to failing and being dragged off by an army of giant robots. They said nothing to Bobby as he walked by. He wasn’t sure if it was because they were so hauntingly focused on winning or if it was simply because they weren’t aware of his presence. He guessed it was a little of both. There were even, sadly, a few kids playing but they were so caught up in the excitement of the game, they hadn’t yet caught onto to what happened if you didn’t win. Bobby quickly turned away and hurried off, wanting to get outta this place before “they” arrived to pick up the losers. That was never a pretty sight.

At last he found himself stepping out of the now jam packed, echoing arcade and onto a busy sidewalk. Vehicles drove by, people walked silently about, some staring at the ground while others eyes darted left and right as if keeping an eye out for awaiting Dado’s. There was no mistaking he was back in the city of Rune. He gazed around at the tall, towering buildings, all gray and dull and boring as could be. Not much had changed in Rune since the last time Bobby had been there and he doubted if things were going to get any better. With Mr. Pop gone, it was pretty much impossible. He took a look up at the television screens and saw the swirling shapes. It looked like there was no current match being held because it wasn’t up on any of the screens, and neither were Veego and LaBerge. He was glad of that much because he really wasn’t in the mood to watch another of those overthrowing death games or hear the squeaky, annoying voice of none other than LaBerge. Not hearing from Veego was pretty nice too. But he knew well enough he was bound to run into them if he was supposed to meet this Layra person at their royal Castle, unfortunately.

“Great,” thought Bobby tiredly. “It’s fun all over again.”

As if in response, Bobby heard approaching footsteps. When he turned around to see who it was, it was exactly who he expected it to be. Dado’s. And they meant business. There was no fooling around with these fellas. They were about six feet tall with blank, emotional faces and unblinking eyes that focused directly on what they had come for. Bobby.

“You’ll be coming with us,” said one formally.

“Uh, yeah, sure,” said Bobby, trying to change the subject. “You don’t know anyone named Layra by any chance, do ya?”

The two officers exchanged looks. Obviously not.

“No,” said one bluntly. “Enough of that, come with us.”

Bobby held back for a second. “Yeah, uh, how bout-”

“Now,” said the other firmly. So much for that plan.

There was no getting past these robots. Whether he liked it or not, he was on his way back to the castle of the game masters themselves, Veego and LaBerge. Were they expecting him? Probably, he thought. If they were expecting this Layra person, odds are, they were expecting him as well. What troubled Bobby the most was what to expect with these two. Again. He remembered his last stay with these two hosts all too well. I mean, sure, he had to admit their castle was beyond royal and if it weren’t for the dreaded games and outcomes along with the whole thing, heck, he’d love a reservation there! The meals were delicious, there were waiters at your every command and there was always, whether it was a large meal or small, desert. Really good deserts too; sundaes, ice cream, pies, cakes, you name it. There were game rooms and swimming pools, not to mention with slides and diving boards and all that fun stuff. Yup, it was a real place. Except for the fact that you were there to participate in games where if you lost, you died. Not so fun.

The drive there was a silent one. The dado who was driving, never looked back at Bobby to ask how he was doing or anything. He kept his eyes steadily on the road, as if nothing else mattered. He was a robot, so really, he didn’t care much. The other dado, who sat up front, was the exact same. Whenever Bobby would open up and try and start a light conversation or try and get some answers as to what to expect when arriving at the castle, they’d simply look one another in the eye, and shrug.

“You’re just being stubborn,” said Bobby, leaning up against the seat while staring out the window at the towering buildings of Rune. “You’ve gotta know something.”

The dado in the passenger seat turned round and said emotionlessly, “We’re taking you to the castle of Veego and LaBerge. There isn’t anything to say.”

“Uh, yes there is!” Bobby argued, frustrated. “You people never say anything. That’s the problem.”

“We’re almost there,” said the driver. “They’ll be expecting you.”

There was one answer questioned. He was being expected and of course, he knew who was expecting him. The cold, glaring Veego and her clown loving goof brother, LaBerge.

“Okay, okay,” said Bobby quickly. If they were approaching the castle, he may as well try and get some extra answers while he was at it. Trying was always better than nothing. “Do you at least know if I’ve got anything to do with these Quillan games? You can’t tell me you haven’t heard about those?”

The two dado’s exchanged looks, but said nothing.

“It is not our job to speak of what Veego and LaBerge have planned,” said one. “We are simply here to drive you off, and leave. Whatever questions you have, should be taken delivered to them. They’ll answer all your questions.”

“Yeah, right,” thought Bobby. It was enough to try and get some talk out of Veego, who looked like she’d burn your eyes out with a single stare, let alone try and get some answers out of her goof brother, LaBerge. He’d just have to wait. And the wait wasn’t long. The city behind him had long vanished out of sight and they were now traveling among the towering, sky scraping trees, amid the dull, gray buildings of Rune. It now came back to him that their great castle was located in a city, surrounded by acres and acres of trees. As weird as that was, Bobby had to admit that was pretty cool. A city in a forest. A forest in a city.

“And here we are,” said the dado driver, pulling to a complete stop.

“Gee, thanks,” said Bobby. His skin crawled, knowing in seconds, he’d have to face the two people he really didn’t want to. Then again, he was also going to come face to face with this mysterious Layra. Perhaps she’d have all the answers to this whole wacko thing and explain to him the reason why he was back on Quillan and what she had to do with all this. Clearly, if she wasn’t a traveler, there didn’t seem to be any reason for her being here, unless of course she was an acolyte. But Bobby knew his fellow travelers and their chosen acolytes and never had he heard of the name Layra before. Maybe one of the acolytes had died and was now being replaced? But wouldn’t the traveler had told Bobby? He needed to get some answers or he was going to be in for one hell of a stay if he had no idea what to expect and what was the deal for his sudden return to this game playing, funhouse. And the clowns, he thought.

“Not the clowns,” he thought gloomily. “Ughh.” Bobby always had the idea that there were two types of people in this world, people who hate clowns…and clowns. He hated them. Loathed them. He hated everything about them from their creepy little faces to their big, round, red noses and fake, villainous smiles and their haunting laughs. But then again, not everyone felt the same away about clowns. LaBerge, the clown lover. Bobby had yet to find out how on earth one could actually like clowns!

While the driver sat staring ahead at the silent street, the other dado got out, opened the door and gestured for Bobby to step out. As much as he wanted to just sit back and demand to be taken home, back to Second Earth, he knew that wasn’t going to happen. He crawled out, gulped for a second and stood there casually, just waiting for “them” to come strolling down. While he stood there, watching the small black vehicle speed away, he looked about for this Layra girl. At first, he had the idea that he’d been played over and was now trapped at this funhouse to play yet another set of terrifying games. That would have sent him over the edge. After all those times Saint Dane had taken disguise and cleverly fooled him, he wasn’t in the mood to go throw it. Again. Or Rayla could perhaps be running late? Or was she already inside the castle, being given a grand tour of the place. Was she at supper? He was seconds away from turning around and making a straight run for it back to the flume when he heard a girl’s voice saying, “You must be Bobby.”

Bobby turned round and saw a girl about his own size and age, strolling up to him. She was around five foot five, looked to be about sixteen, with shoulder length brown hair tied up in a ponytail, hazel colored eyes and a warm, friendly smile. She wore a dark blue turtleneck sweater with a casual pair of jeans and violet crocs.

“Yeah,” said Bobby. “And you are?”

“Layra,” she smiled. “Sorry for being late. This place is kinda strange, and I sorta lost my way around, till the dado’s caught up with me. Real creepy, they are.”

“Tell me about it,” said Bobby. “But I’m glad you’re here. I’ve got a ton of questions.”

“Same here,” said Layra. “I’m pretty puzzled too. All I know is, I’m here to participate in these, what are they called, Quillan games. It sounds exciting and all, it really does, the only thing is, I’m not very good at games. And I’ve been told about what goes on here.”

“Pretty scary huh?”

“Yeah,” she said quietly. “I can’t believe it’s all...real.”

“Well, I played these games,” said Bobby. “And let me tell you, they’re scary as hell. I’m lucky I’m even alive. I was close to being killed back here. Sorry if I sound like I’m trying to scare you or anything, but I’ve gotta be honest, it’s a nightmare.”

“I can imagine!” Layra exclaimed, sounding shocked. “Geez, thank goodness we’re together, eh?”

Bobby nodded. “So you’ve never been here before.”

“Nope,” said Layra.

“Shh,” said Bobby suddenly.

“What?” asked Layra, looking around.

“There,” said Bobby pointing, up toward the castle entrance.

“Who’s that?” she asked curiously.

“That,” said Bobby with a sigh. “Is LaBerge, one of the game masters and hosts here on Quillan. The other, his sister, is Veego. Shh, he’s coming.”

The girl sent him a nervous glance, but he nodded with assurance. She pulled herself together and while the two stood waiting to be taken in, LaBerge was casually making his way down the staircase. Like usual, he was wearing what looked like a red and black bathrobe and his way was no surprise, a wild blonde color that stuck out in every direction. Bobby always had the intention he’d stuck his finger in a toaster, for whatever reason and that’s why his hair was so, wacky and crazy. His eyes darted to and fro with excitement. He strolled up to them, gave them each an inviting smile and said, “Welcome, my friends! So good to see you.”

“Yeah, you too clowny,” said Bobby sarcastically.

LaBerge stared at him for a second and then said, “Very nice to have you back Challenger Red. I hope you’re stay here at the castle will be enjoyable and perhaps, we can start off fresh?”

“Not a chance,” said Bobby flatly.

LaBerge frowned and turned his attention to Layra, who hadn’t yet said a word. She stood staring at the tall man as if she were scared to say anything at all. Bobby had the intention she was a little frightened of the hair.

“You must be Layra,” he smiled, holding out his hand. “Delightful to meet you. LaBerge is the name. Please, let me shake your hand.”

Bobby shot her a look as if saying, “Uhh, don’t!” But Layra was quick to shake and smiled at him.

“Nice to meet you too,” she said quietly.

“Now then!” said LaBerge giddily, turning toward the castle. “If you two would just follow me up, I’ll get you all settled in. You’re going to love this! We’ve got the evening meal all ready and your rooms have been prepared. Oh, this is going to be splendid!”

“Great,” Bobby murmured, following behind. Layra caught up to him, whispering, “What’s the castle like?”

“Oh, the castle’s awesome,” said Bobby. “It’s the games I’m freaked about.”

“You know,” said Layra, somewhat hesitantly. “L-LaBerge seems kinda, sweet.”

“Uhh, excuse me!” said Bobby, stopping dead in his tracks. He took a moment to catch his breath after hearing what Layra had just said. “What!?”

“Look, look,” said Layra quickly, backing away.“I’m not saying that for sure, all I’m saying is he seems like a nice guy. That’s all. I didn’t mean it by anything, honest.”

“Yeah,” scoffed Bobby. “Wait till you see him later on. Then we’ll see how sweet he really is.”

“Everything all right!” called LaBerge from the doorstep.

“Yeah, we’re fine,” Layra smiled.

“Very good,” said LaBerge, bounding away. Bobby could hear his echoing voice crying, “Veego! Veego, they’re here!”

It was only seconds later the image of Veego came in sight. She was just as Bobby had remembered. She was tallish, with slick brown hair that was so perfect and shiny, she looked like a fox. She was wearing a turtleneck, with a matching pair of pants. She’d always been the professional type while her brother LaBerge was more of the casual, wear whatever you want sort a guy. Veego’s clothes always matched and were always in tip top shape while LaBerge couldn’t care less. One day he’d wear a striped blazer while the next day he’d wear a multicolored robe with pockadots and swirls. Two very different people, yet they were siblings.

Bobby could hear her hissing back at LaBerge, “Shut up, ninny!”

She then turned her attention to Bobby and Layra, forced a smile and said, “Ahh, Challenger Red. So good to see you again.”

“Missed me?” he said.

Veego laughed, saying coldly, “Not so much. And this must be Layra, I’m assuming?”

Layra nodded nervously.

Veego stared her over before saying, “Now then, if you two could come inside, we’ll have your rooms sorted and your meals served.”

“Yes mam,” said Bobby mockingly.

Veego shot him a firm, cold look. That shut Bobby up. Clearly, she wasn’t in the mood for jokes. On the other hand, LaBerge was always in the mood for a joke, seeing as he was always the one making up the jokes.
Sign up to rate and review this story