Categories > Books > Pendragon > The Untold Truth: A Sequel to the Quillan Games

Chapter 3: Dinner with the Hosts

by Pendragonlover 0 reviews

Bobby joins Veego and LaBerge at dinner, but sees Layra acting somewhat strangely...

Category: Pendragon - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2009-12-31 - Updated: 2009-12-31 - 4452 words

0Unrated
When Bobby and Layra entered the castle, Bobby took a quick look around and saw that nothing had changed. Things were exactly as he’d remembered them, but seeing as this was Layra’s first time seeing such a grand, imperial place, her eyes dropped as soon as she stepped inside. They were standing in the entrance hall, which alone was an impressive sight that gave you the idea who ever lived here, was living it good. The windows up along the arched ceiling were stained class with bright, vibrant colors and pictures of all sorts. They were mostly of people playing games as Bobby now recalled. Some were running, others were shooting what looked like a basketball into a net, though it was much larger and some were standing on that grand and familiar stadium where the Grand X takes place. Bobby hoped he’d never have to step foot on that stadium again.

As they continued along, Layra noticed the floors were marble and were built with mosaic patterns that crept their way right up the walls which made it look as though the whole place were of shapes and patterns. Wherever you looked, there was always something notable. They soon found themselves being led up a long, curved flight up stairs that led up to a balcony high above. But what Layra soon noticed was the flags. Everywhere she looked, there were colorful flags hanging from every level, all with the exact same colors; purple and yellow.

“I think it’s their logo colors,” Bobby whispered to Layra. “You know, how people recognize them.”

When they reached the top of the stairs, Veego called out firmly, “Fourteen!”

“Fourteen?” asked Layra, puzzled.

“He shows you to your rooms,” Bobby explained. “You know, kinda like what servants do. They’ve got servants all over the place. Only, the thing is, they’re dado’s.”

“Oh,” said Layra. “That’s, er, interesting.”

In seconds, Fourteen was standing in front of them. He was just as Bobby remembered. He was rather small and he was all dressed in white. His long sleeved shirt was dressed in white, his pants, his gloves and even his shoes. Very formal. He was bald with a casual necktie with of course, the colors of purple and yellow but what Bobby remembered most about Fourteen was that although he was a dado, a robot, a machine that in reality, had no feelings, Fourteen he believed was different. He may not have actually jumped up with joy saying things like, “Oh, you’re going to love the room, Challenger Red!” or anything like that, but Bobby sensed that somewhere in that little machine, was a heart, if that was even possible. Most importantly, he was Bobby’s closest friend while staying on Quillan and he was pleased to know he hadn’t gone anywhere.

“Layra, you’ll be coming with me,” said Veego. “Thirteen shall be escorting you for this evening.”

Layra turned to leave and looked back at Bobby, smiling nervously. He waved back at her reassuringly.

“See you at dinner,” he said in a low voice.

He turned back to Fourteen and said, “Good to see ya!”

“I was told you would be returning,” said Fourteen, with no emotion. “What is the reason for your sudden return?”

“I dunno,” said Bobby, who was still just as clueless as when he’d left for Quillan. “Apparently, Layra, the girl who just left, has been called here to participate in the Quillan Games and she asked me if I could tag along. Of course I didn’t want to but, what the hell, it could be another turning point and if Saint Dane’s somewhere around here, or if he’s planning on coming, well, I’ve gotta be here.”

“Very good,” said Fourteen formally. “Now then, if you’ll just come along, I’ll show you to your room.”

“Uh, can I just ask something?” asked Bobby.

“What is the question?” said Fourteen.

“Please say it’s not another clown room!” he pleaded. “Sorry for sounding all whiny or anything, but that room last time was just creepy! All those clowns were starting to get to me. Are there any other rooms available?”

Fourteen thought for a moment, and then said, “Yes, I believe we have a spare room that’s clown free. Would that be good for you?”

“Yes!” Bobby exclaimed. Thank you. That’s perfect.”

“Alright,” said Fourteen. “Come along.”

Bobby went along with his robot buddy till they found themselves at the very end of the hall, at the very last room.

“This,” said Fourteen, unlocking the door. “Is room number two hundred and eight.”

“Whoa,” said Bobby, amazed. “You’re telling me they got two hundred and seven other rooms in this place.”

“Yes,” said Fourteen.

“That’s crazy,” said Bobby. “But yeah, this room looks great. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” said Fourteen, again, with no emotion. But it never bothered Bobby. He was used to the whole robo thing.

The room may not have been among the very best, but it was certainly up to Bobby’s expectations. First off, there were no clowns. Anywhere. No clowns on the walls, no clowns on the shelves and no clown dolls on the bed. So far so good. The walls were striped with colors of yellow and purple and the ceiling was designed as a checkered pattern, with those same colors. There were a couple of shelves lined along the walls, with dolls, yes, but no clown dolls which was all Bobby really cared about. Most of the dolls were your ordinary looking animals, with cute puppies and kittens and rabbits and whatnot. Animals were fine by him. There was a large oval shaped window that looked out into the enormous forest and then beyond that, the busy streets of the city of Rune. A view of the ocean would have been nice but Bobby had the idea there weren’t too many oceans in Quillan, or if not that, any at all. His bed was in the center of the room with polka dotted sheets and blankets. The pillows were solid colors of you guessed it, purple and yellow.

He jumped up on the bed and was surprised at how comfortable it was. After a good look at this new room, Bobby’s favorite thing was by far, the bed. It was a great bed and he wouldn’t mind spending a couple of nights in this room. It would be the perfect place for him to have a snack while writing his journals and sending them off to his awaiting acolytes, Mark and Courtney. He hoped he’d at least be given the privacy to do so.

After he put away all his things and was comfortably settled, he walked out, closed the door and strolled down the hallway, wondering which room Layra was staying in. He would have gone on looking for her but it could take hours or even days in a place with two hundred and eight rooms. He figured she was either settling into her room at that moment, or was already at the dinner table or was going to be on her way down shortly. Bobby hoped he wouldn’t have to go down and deal with those two creeps on his own. If he was with someone else, at least the two of them could put up with it together.

When he entered the dining room, he saw that things were already set. The wooden table was laid out beautifully and sitting contently in the high backed wooden chairs, were Veego and LaBerge. The two were kicking back, enjoying a meal and sipping drinks as if they were really enjoying themselves. Odds are, they were. He took a look around and saw just like last time, tapestries were lined all along the walls and there was a warm light that shone in through the enormous glass stained window high up on the ceiling. It was a picture with a tall man, a challenger probably, holding a long, wooden stave in his hand and in the other, a small red ball. Bobby had no idea what the game was but didn’t really care. He had other things to deal with.

Slowly, he strolled toward the table, never taking his eyes off Veego and LaBerge.

At once, LaBerge leaped out of his chair and ran over. Bobby stared at the goof for a second and saw he was wearing a multicolored blazer with striped pants. His wild blonde hair was a mass of long, tight curls that bounced whenever he walked.

“Geez,” thought Bobby. “The guy sure likes color.”

“Very good to see you, Challenger Red!” he said with a warm smile. “I hope you’ve built up an appetitie.” He gave Bobby a pat on the back as if the two were suddenly old chums, catching up on old times. Yeah, right, thought Bobby.

Bobby shrugged. “Whatever.”

LaBerge’s eyes widened. “My dear boy,” he said, sounding hurt. “Our chiefs have just prepared a most lovely meal. We’d hope you were hungry. Do come and join us.”

“Where’s Layra?” he demanded.

“I believe she’ll be down shortly,” said LaBerge. “I assume she’s still settling in. Now then, if you’ll just sit here, we’ll have you all-”

“Uh, no,” said Bobby quickly. “I don’t wanna sit there.”

Veego shot him a cold look.

“Why not!” LaBerge exclaimed. “This is the seat of honor!”

“Ya well,” spat Bobby. “Maybe I don’t wanna sit there.”

Bobby shuffled over to another sit, across from where Veego was sitting and plumped down into it, staring around at the platters of food. LaBerge stared at him with a frown for a moment before going back to his own seat next to his sister.

“Whatever you wish,” he said quietly.

Bobby immediately began filling his plate with all the food he could. It wasn’t that he was being a pig or anything, but he always liked to fill himself up, in case he might not get the chance to eat again. Or maybe it was that he was just really, really hungry. Probably a little of both, he thought. The food looked delicious. There were steaks and chickens, every kind of vegetable you could think of from mashed potatoes, carrots, peas and corn, squash and of course, LaBerge’s favorite, tribbun. Lots and lots of tribbun. It was an orange, odd looking veggie that had the crunch of a carrot, but had the sweet, yummy taste of a melon. He shot a look at LaBerge to see if he was looking, saw that he wasn’t and grabbed a couple and dropped them on his plate. He didn’t want to goof seeing that he actually loved tribbun. He’d never hear the end of that with that guy. He poured himself a glass of that familiar green liquid that tasted a little like kool aid but the longer you went on drinking it; you found it actually tasted like lemonade. Bobby took a bite of the steak and was amazed at how great the food tasted. He may not have liked sitting across him Veego and LaBerge but the food was too good to ignore.

“How’s the meal, my friend?” asked LaBerge politely, taking a sip of that green liquid.

Bobby murmured, still chewing on the steak, “Good.”

LaBerge smiled. “I’m glad you enjoy it. I hope you’ll enjoy our desserts. We’ve picked out our very bests which I must say, are superb. I think I’ll go for a tribben sundae.”

Veego turned round and said formally, “That must be Layra.”

And it was. Layra was slowly entering the room, with a touch of nervousness in her eyes. Bobby could tell she was the shy sort. She was wearing a long violet shirt that reached to about her knees, black tights and what looked like a pair of black heels. A beaded necklace of white peals hung from her neck and her curled brown hair was tied up in a ponytail. Bobby thought she looked beautiful but wondered why she’d gone and dressed up. Perhaps she enjoyed dressing up. She turned her attention to Bobby, and smiled, shuffling her feet shyly. He gave her a reassuring nod and took another bite of steak.

Almost immediately, LaBerge jumped out of his seat and walked up to Layra, saying, “There you are! So glad you could attend. Do come and sit with us! We’re delighted to have you here.”

LaBerge may have been delighted to have guests here but Veego sure as heck didn’t look delighted. Then again, she never really looked delighted. She barely forced a smile and kept on staring down at her dish as if she didn’t want to be a part of anything Bobby or LaBerge or Layra were doing.

Layra quietly followed LaBerge over to the table, staring hungrily around at the delicious looking dishes. LaBerge pulled out a chair next to himself, two seats from Veego and said with a smile, “Please, sit down.” She sat down and looked over and saw she was directly across from Bobby.

“How’s the meal?” she asked him.

Bobby swallowed and said, “Pretty good.” He hated to admit how great the food really was, but he wasn’t going to just lie and say, “Oh yeah, the food’s atrocious.” Layra was new to this whole experience so he was going to try his best to make her feel comfortable. Of course, he was still trying to comfort himself.

“Now don’t be shy,” said LaBerge, reaching for another helping of fresh tribbun. “There’s loads to eat. Those chiefs really go out of their way with these meals! Especially with these divine tribbun, wouldn’t you say so?”

Layra at once, began piling up her dish excitedly, with a little bit of steak, a scoopful of veggies, a small helping of tribbun and to top it all off, some mashed potatoes. Her favorite. She stared down at the food with wide eyes. She’d never seen such food, or so much of it. She took a big, crunchy bite of the tribbun and her eyes lit up instantly.

LaBerge chuckled and asked, “How is it?”

“This is the best thing I’ve ever tasted!” she exclaimed, taking another bite. “Can we have this every night? I can’t get over how good this is.”

“Tribbun is a classic!” LaBerge told her, watching her devour the tribbun hungrily. “As long as I’m around, it will be at the top of the menu!”

“Uhh, you mean us,” growled Veego, glaring him straight in the eye. LaBerge shrunk back and said nervously, “Y-yes, yes,” he said with a nervous gulp. “Just what I meant. Exactly what I meant, yes."

Veego shook her head annoyingly and continued eating. LaBerge twirled his fork fretfully while occasionally turning to Layra and changing the subject. Obviously, he wanted to avoid his cold sister. The two may have been partners, but Veego appeared to be in control the majority of the time and was always telling her brother off to assure he kept shut. Bobby had seen that a dozen times over and had the idea he'd see it a dozen times more.

Bobby then decided it was time to open up the conversation and figure out what the deal here was. He demanded to have some answers. He needed answers. He wasn’t in the mood to be up all night wondering what to expect the following day. He liked knowing what to expect. Well, most of the time.

“So,” he began casually. “What’s the deal with these games?”

“Excuse me?” said Veego, raising a brow.

“Uh, you know what I mean,” Bobby shot back at her, losing his patience. “Layra told me she was invited her to participate in the Quillan Games. I get that. I was a Challenger here, remember? I hope you don’t expect me to be a part of this or anything. I’ve done my part!”

“Ahh, but that’s where you’re wrong,” said Veego with a grin. Bobby hated it when she grinned. “Layra may be in the position of being given a new name, Challenger Black, but of course we’re going to need an extra competitor. The rules you see, have changed slightly. Instead of each Challenger going about these games and obstacles independently, on their own, they’re now going to be teamed up with a partner. So you see, Challenger Red, you are going to be a part of these games along with Layra. Again. Whether you like it or not, you’re going to play.”

“What!” Bobby shouted. “That’s stupid! I’ve already played. I bet you’re just making up these rules.”

Veego shook her head. “These adjustments in new rulings have been made entirely by Blok. Our trustees have taken these games to a whole new level.”

“Please tell me you’re joking,” Bobby grumbled.

“No,” said Veego, smiling coldly. “I’m not, sadly enough. Now be a good little boy and eat you tribbun. You’ll need the protein.”

Meanwhile, Layra seemed to be getting along pretty well with LaBerge. She hadn’t yet said a word to Veego and he guessed she feared her as much as he did but it was another story with LaBerge. Completely. Veego didn’t seem to bother much with LaBerge. But Bobby had the feeling it wasn’t just because she was being anti social or wasn’t in the mood for chit chat. Odds are, her brain was calculating and she was dealing with some serious matter, that either had to do with the upcoming games or more importantly on her watch, her trustees at the cooperation of Blok.

Bobby sat staring around, keeping an eye on Layra and LaBerge and the longer he went on listening to the two, the more annoyed and confused he became. He’d just about had enough of LaBerge’s childish, giggly little laughs and chuckles. He wouldn’t be surprised if he found out the goof was in fact a clown at birth and was in disguise as a man who dressed in robes of wild colors and had crazy blonde hair and laughed too much.

During the meal, he showed her something Bobby remembered seeing on his last stay at the castle. It was a little toy Bobby could never understand, or make out why LaBerge found it so amusing. It was called a Runkle and the man seemed very proud of his little invention, as if he’d just created the world’s first light bulb.

“Yeah, right,” thought Bobby.

The familiar toy was shaped like a pen or the handle of a jump rope with a miniature sized button on the end. As soon as LaBerge pressed the button, out came a red propeller which flew up into the air while making a continuous tweeeee sound. When it was high enough in the air, it’s power decreased and slowly and delicately flew back down as LaBerge raised the handle, locking the propeller back in place with a final click. He clapped his hands proudly, saying, “No one can resist a game of Runkle! It's classic!"

“Can I try?” asked Layra, staring at the toy curiously.

“Of course!” said LaBerge, handing her the toy with a smile. “It’s quite simple really. Not much too it, if I do say so myself. Give her a go!"

Bobby watched as Layra play with the Runkle, over and over again as if she were actually enjoying herself. He shook his head and looked at LaBerge who watched the flying propeller like an amazed child. This was his creation after all. Layra was both pleased and amazed with the invention and chuckled as she watched it swirl into the air. LaBerge chuckled. Layra laughed. LaBerge laughed. That’s all Bobby heard from those two and that bland little toy! He felt as if his ears were already ringing with their nonstop laughter. Veego didn’t acknowledge this but he knew somewhere inside her, she was bubbling with frustration, especially at her bafoon brother. Veego seemed to be in a huff while LaBerge was thoroughly enjoying himself.

“That’s really cool,” said Layra, handling the toy playfully. “I'd love to have one of these."

“You can have that one,” LaBerge told her. “I’ve got tons. Everyone should have a Runkle! They're a must have!"

“I don’t have one,” said Bobby with no emotion. He wanted to see LaBerge’s reaction.

LaBerge shot him a surprised look that said, “Are you kidding me?”

“What!” he shouted, his eyes widening. “Runkle is simply one of the greatest games here on Quillan! How can you not-”

Suddenly, Veego turned on him so viscously; Bobby thought her head was going to explode. She hissed, “Oh, shut up! Quit acting like a baby and control yourself, ninny! You get on my nerves. Can't you ever just once, shut up?"

LaBerge stared at her wide eyed, with a hurt look in his eyes. He dropped his head and looked away with a huge frown on his face as if he’d just been slapped for doing something behind his paren't back. Bobby could have sworn after a long, hard look at LaBerge that the man was going to cry. He fidgeted with his fingers while licking his lips. He was afraid to look his sister in the eye and she could tell. Bobby had to admit though, Veego may have been an out and out jerk, and a cold one at that, but she had a point. Her brother was annoying! Bobby couldn't forget his giddy laughs and more so, the clowns. That was one thing he and Veego had in common. They both found LaBerge outright annoying.

Layra stared at Veego, her mouth wide open. It was as if she were in utter shock that Veego had just erupted out of nowhere. Had she been building up that outburst of fury? What had once been a peaceful dinner was now an embarrassed meal and no one knew what in the world to say. Layra stared at LaBerge with soft eyes and a sympathizing frown. Did she actually feel bad for the guy? Sure seemed like it.

There was an awkward silence. Veego went on eating as if nothing had happened. LaBerge stared around the room, his eyes darting to and fro nervously. Layra met his gaze for a quick second, and smiled reassuringly. He sniffed, smiling weakly.

After the meal was finished and the servants were strolling about the table, collecting the dishes and taking them off to the kitchen, Veego got up and said formally, “Alright then. You two, off to your rooms.”

“When do the games begin?” asked Bobby, not wanting to know the answer.

“In a couple of days, I believe,” she said, sounding somewhat bored. She then turned and stared down at Layra and said, “And anyway, this one will be needing a good deal of rest if she hopes in succeeding in those most interesting events.”

Layra looked away.

LaBerge timidly rose out of his seat and waited until both Bobby and Layra were standing. Veego remained sitting, staring about the room with that cold, unblinking stare. LaBerge turned to them and gestured for them to follow. He led them out of the dining hall and into another hall that led up to their rooms on the higher floors.

“I hope the dinner was, er, most satisfying,” he said shakily. “Terribly sorry for the, uh, outburst. If you’re in need of anything, please don’t hesitate to ask one of our servants. Challenger Red, Fourteen has been specially assigned for your needs and Layra, I’ve asked Thirteen to be at your personal needs.”

Layra smiled and said, “Thank you.”

“A pleasure,” he said meekly. “Sleep well. Good-night.”

Bobby stared at him, saying nothing and hoped Layra would do the same. She didn’t.

As LaBerge turned for the dining hall, his head dropped, she said softly, “Night.” He turned round and smiled, nodded and continued up the stairs, playing with a Runkle while he went.

Bobby shot her a glare.

“What the hell?” he whispered. “What was all that about?”

“What do you mean?” she asked, surprised.

Bobby raised a brow. “Uh, that guy’s an imbecile! Haven't you noticed?"

“I, er, I should be going to bed,” she said, heading up the stairs. “Night Bobby. See ya tommorow."

“Layra!” Bobby shouted. “Layra, wait!”

She kept on going.

‘Layra!” he called. “Wait! We need to talk!”

Bobby tried catching up with her but she was a fast gal and within seconds, she disappeared out of sight and Bobby was left with no choice but to head on up to his room. As soon as he was in his room, he plumped onto his bed with a big sigh and fell back onto the bed, letting his mind wonder. He had a million questions and feared he wasn’t going to get answers, or answers he’d like to hear. He still wasn’t sure who this Layra girl was or where she’d come from or if she was a traveler or an acolytes and how she knew about the travelers to begin with. Was there a specific reason she’d been chosen to participate in the Quillan Games or was it just a coincidence. But what really bugged and nagged at Bobby like an irritating pimple, was seeing her and LaBerge, getting along! Seriously! The thought made his skin crawl that anyone would actually get along with that creep as if they were old chums.

He tried telling her how LaBerge could secretly be a clown in disguise but obviously, from what he’d seen that night, she thought differently about LaBerge. What he truly feared was the clown loving creep was setting her up for failure for these upcoming games. He now had yet another issue to deal with. He had to somehow, find a way to convince Layra that Veego was not the only one they needed to fear, but LaBerge as well. He needed to use his traveler abilities of persuasion to convince her that LaBerge was involved with these deadly games and if she hoped to walk out alive, she’d have to back away from him. Immediately. And it was up to him to do that.
Sign up to rate and review this story