Categories > Original > Romance > Moving On

Chapter 4

by RachieLouise 1 review

'I turned, and carried on walking out of the gates. I heard footsteps from behind me, and felt a tug on my sleeve.'

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Published: 2010-01-12 - Updated: 2010-01-12 - 1159 words

0Unrated
I was walking out of the school gates, when I heard someone call my name. Glancing around to see who was calling me, I saw Taylor. I turned, and carried on walking out of the gates. I heard footsteps from behind me, and felt a tug on my sleeve.
“Sorry Hazel,”
I turned to see Taylor looking down at me, looking nervous, but nevertheless remorseful.
“I didn't mean to lose my temper,”
I looked up at him, and after a brief second, smiled.
“No problem,”
Yet again, Taylor was pulling a rather confused face.
“Is that all?” He asked. “No shouting, no ignoring?”
I shook my head at him,
“It's no problem, really”
Taylor grinned and continued walking with me.
“I know this sounds wired, but why did you say no to Cedric?”
“I hardly know Cedric, and I can't just go back to his house, unannounced,”
“Ahh, I understand.” 'You really don't'
Taylor studied my face.
“You look... down... What's up?”
“The sky,” I laughed quietly at my awful joke. To my suprise, Taylor laughed aswell.
“I established that already Hazel, but really, what's wrong?”
I fixed a fake smile on my face.
“Nothing, don't worry about it,”
Taylor's face darkened.
“You don't trust me?” He accused.
“I've known you for what, a day? And you didn't exactly give me the best first impression of you.”
“That's hardly my fault, I can't control your mind!” He argued
“It's hardly my fault,” I retorted, “I can't control your moodswings,”
“If you didn't like me you could have just told me and saved me the effort.” Taylor grumbled angrily.
“You think I don't like you?”
“Evidently,”
“Well I do.”
“But I'm just not good enough am I?” Taylor glared at me, before turning and stomping away. What a great way to make new friends.
I carried on walking as if nothing had happened. Turning the corner at the end of the road, I could no longer see school. That was a relief. I could put my guard down for the few minutes it would take me to return to my house. I have never had the luxury of saying that I was 'going home', because I'd never had a 'home'. Just various houses of different sizes, in different locations. As soon as I reached the house, I narrowed my eyes. It was a dilapidated, small house, in the middle of pretty much nowhere. It was right on the outskirts of the town, by the woods. My mother always told the neighbours that she was a property developer; that was a lie. I don't know why, but my mother was running. She'd been running away since I was a child. I walked slowly toward the front door and pushed it open. There was banging in one of the upstairs rooms.
“I'm home,” I called upstairs to my mother.
Climbing the stairs, I walked into what was my makeshift room. I dropped my school bag the end of the bed, and sat down on the chair in the corner of the room. My room was empty. If people ever came round, which was very rare, I just told them I liked to keep things simple. In my room I had an ancient wooden bed, with a small, oak closet, a wooden rocking chair, and a small mahogany desk. Although I did have more belongings, They were kept in boxes underneath my bed. I never really felt the need to unpack; depending on how quickly my mum worked, we could be gone in 4 months.
I was thinking about my day, when my mother appeared. She tapped lightly on the door frame – I had no door – and stepped inside.
“Had a good first day?” She asked feebly. We weren't particularly close.
“Same old,”
“I was wondering if you wanted to decorate your room this weekend,” My mother asked me, sitting down on my bed.
“Sure, why not,”
“You can do it however you would like,”
I was shocked at this. “I have no colour scheme?”
My mother shook her head smiling. “I'm planning on staying here for a while.”
I looked like a child on christmas morning. “Really?” Before I could stop myself, questions were tumbling out of my mouth, “Why? How long? I can stay at the same school? Could I -”
My mother began to laugh, “We'll talk about this later, come and have a look at the paints I have downstairs, and choose a colour for you room,”
Jumping up from my chair, I followed mum down the stairs and into the living room. There were pots of paints in such a wide variety of shades, That I didn't know where to begin. Scanning across the paint, a certain colour caught my eye, but not for my bedroom.
“Mum, Can I choose the colours for the front of the house?”
She looked at me suspiciously, “It's wooden, so I was planning on leaving it natural,”
“Please?” I whined, fluttering my eyelashes at her.
She sighed, “Just this once,”
I grinned, and pointed at the pots of paint.
“This one for my room, and this one for the front of the house,”
After smiling at mum, I ran away to my room before she could change her mind. I pulled the boxes out from under my bed and started to unpack my belongings. She said we could stay longer, and even though I didn't believe her, I was hoping so vehemently for what she had said to be true that I began to open the boxes. I pulled out item I hadn't seen for a very long time. All my books that had been tucked away for so long, a retro tape cassette and CD player, and a rug which was so large, I couldn't figure out how it had fitted into the box in the first place. I had now created a problem for myself. I didn't have enough storage space in my room. Although the room was large, it did not contain any shelves or cabinets which I could have used. Glancing at my watch, I was shocked to see how late it was. 11.48. I was planning on asking my mum to make me some shelves for my room, but I didn't want to disturb her... or push my luck. Deciding that it would be a better idea to write a note, I pulled a piece if lined paper out of one of my school books, and wrote her a short note.
Hi mum, didn't want to disturb you, hoping you could make me a few shelves for my room. Thank you, Hazel.
I slid the note under her door – I still don't see why every other room in the house has a door but mine! - and returned to my room. Pulling on my 'jamas, I climbed into bed. I began thinking about my day at school, and before I knew it, I was falling into a deep slumber.
Sign up to rate and review this story