Categories > Anime/Manga > Gundam Wing > Savior

Ray of Light

by Loise 0 reviews

Attacked.

Category: Gundam Wing - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Duo, Hilde, Quatre - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-04-20 - Updated: 2006-04-21 - 1668 words

0Unrated
"Quatre? Are you all right?" Wufei was speaking to him, but Quatre continued to look down, breathing harshly between clenched teeth.

"Winner! Report!" He resisted Une, concentrating on the hollowness inside of him. Fighting again, against someone who really wanted to kill him and was prepared to do so, had raised his adrenaline levels. He had felt high, powerful when he had delivered the final blow.

Now, he was struggling with the low, the loss of all feeling that came after an intense fight. He wasn't shaking because he was hurt, not because he was scared.

No, none of that.

He hadn't felt this way for a long time. Sparring with a friend, with a fellow training partner wasn't the same. Not like a real fight, a real dirty, bloody fight. It just wasn't the same; that didn't make him feel like this. He never felt so high when sparring with Heero, or Wufei.

The last time he had felt this way when Mariemeia had tried to take over the world. The intense thrill of being on the edge of danger, or being so close to death he feel the taste of blood on his lips, rising and surging within him.

It had been like that, the high and then the low. The low was followed with disgust at himself, for enjoying hurting, killing.

Now, it wasn't only the seething feel of disgust, but anger. Anger at himself. He was shaking with hatred of himself. He couldn't understand why he felt this way, it wasn't helping people; it was all pain.

Looking at Une and Wufei, he shoved away from the ground, sweat and blood coming off his clammy forehead. the two he stalked away, a glower marring his face. He kept his face low, chin resting on his rest as his lip curled.

Wufei gripped his arm and jerked him so that Quatre faced Wufei directly. Looking at each other, anger lighting up on Quatre face, as Wufei refused to let go.

Shaking his head sadly, Wufei brought Quatre, close briefly and quickly in a hug. Quatre closed his eyes and breathed more slowly, while Wufei still held him at arms length, the warmth of their bodies radiating between them.

"Sometimes, Quatre," Wufei said, steadily, "You really are an idiot."

Opening his eyes, Quatre stared in surprised at Wufei. Behind them Une raised her eyebrows in some amusement at his expression. He ignored her, concentrating on Wufei.

"An idiot? You think I'm an idiot?" He didn't know why he felt such humour at the insult, but he did.

"There's no doubt about it, Quatre, snap out of this. It is pretty simple."

Wufei made a sound of exasperation as Quatre looked wary and stubborn at the prospect. Shaking a reluctant Quatre, then sighing, Wufei let go.

Shoving his hands in his pockets, Quatre nodded. "I get it, Wufei."

Eyes flashing in determination, Wufei stepped back, "Good." He snapped a salute at Une he left , his stride long and sure as he left them alone together.

Rubbing his head ruefully, Quatre glance at Une, "I screwed up that one didn't I?" He smiled nervously, sheepishly at her, shrugging his still tense shoulders.

Nodding slowly, Une placed a hand on his shoulder, "He just expects a lot from you. He respects you Quatre, that's why he treats you..."

"The way he does, I know, I know. I respect him too. It's just..."

"You're human."

"Yeah."


****************


Quatre walked slowly into his house, still smiling even if it hurt to move his torn lips. His hair was mussed and he ran a tired hand through it absentmindedly. Slamming the door in the face of the many photographers camping out side his doorstep, his smile transformed into a smirk.

Walking into his receiving hall, he noticed the answering machine was flashing. Sighing, he wearily made his way over to the machine. Leaning against the wall, and letting it support his weight; Quatre pressed a button and waited for the messages.

First one, someone from the Board. Skip. Sister. Sister. Duo.

Eyes lighting up with interest, he dropped his keys on the stand and listened further.

Duo's face appeared in the fuzzy reception of the vid screen, he grinned and waved cheerfully in greeting. Mouth moving, the sound was delayed however. "Quatre! I'll be there soon. Just having experiencing some turbulence." Face turned briefly away from the screen, and Quatre was presented with Duo's bending backside. Quatre sniggered lightly. "Oh, Yeah. I'm bringing Hilde over," Duo rolled his eyes, "Wouldn't leave me alone." A hand slapped his head. "So, Can we crash at your place? Thanks!" Duo high-fived the screen. "See you about seven. What are you having for dinner? I'm up for Chinese...? And by that, I don't mean Wufei!" Duo gave a slow wink. "Bye!"

Laughing Quatre felt his good humour return from the fading crumbles of the day. Rubbing the back of his neck, groaning as the tension evaporated. He adjusted his shoulders, rolling them in a zigzag fashion.

'That's the spot,' Quatre thought. Thinking on lighter matters, he continued with, 'Well, Duo could do that to you.'

Slowly glancing at his watch, Quatre felt his eyebrows shoot up at the advancement of time. Flashing a look at the mirror hanging on the wall, he noted his hair, the suit and the blood.

Shrugging, Quatre sat down on the grand staircase to await Duo's and Hilde's arrival. Staring thoughtfully at the door as his thoughts drifted hazily. Duo was coming, well it was only Duo after all, he could accommodate that, and his friend, Hilde. Quatre frowned, remembering the brief time he had seen Hilde, the only time he had ever really met her. She and Duo and had something special but, Quatre continued with his train of thought, he wasn't sure what, were they partners? Lovers? Friends? But they cared deeply for one another. They were...

Quatre frowned, remembering the brief time he had seen Hilde, the only time he had ever really met her. She and Duo had something special but, Quatre wasn't sure what they were, partners? Lovers? Friends? But they cared deeply for one another. They were...

Someone knocked at the door, using secret code 56A8. Funny that you remember things like that, Quatre mused, you forget birthdays but can remember secret codes. Quatre shook his head, determined not to tell any female within radius of this.

Standing up, he went to receive his guests.


***************


Brushing past the photographers like they weren't there, Duo yawned with a pop in someone's face, dodging a blow from an overly eager reporter, he walked to the door.

After knocking, he waved happily, tiredly at Quatre through the peephole. Quatre grinned back at him after he opened the door, gesturing for both of them to come in.

Quatre smiled widely, "You're here! Duo, great to see you." Quatre nodded at both of them cheerfully and then once again slammed the door in the photographer's faces. Smiling warmly at the weary looking Duo and Hilde, Quatre crossed the space between him and Duo and hugged his friend happily. Duo's hand clapped Quatre on the back just as he let go of his bags, right on to Quatre's feet.

"Ow!" Quatre let go of Duo like he was a cold fish, "Jeez! What do you have in there?"

"Um, stuff?" Duo rubbed his head in a sheepish manner. "Who cares? I'm starving! The food they had served on the plane - eech! Over processed junk, even the tomato was a square!"

"It was pretty awful Duo," the two boys turned to Hilde, "But it wasn't the stewards fault. You didn't have to threaten him." With a grunt she dropped her bag.

"Yadda, yadda, yadda! Quatre," Duo begged, "Food?"

Quatre laughed as his stomach rumbled back at Duo's. "Sure, I'm hungry too. Haven't eaten since... breakfast actually." Quatre looked surprised at himself, "How 'bout you Hilde?"

"Well," she turned her head, "The food on the flight was utter rubbish. I wouldn't feed it to a mutt, so that's a big yes from me!" Hilde smiled, "Food sounds very good."

"Great!" Quatre clapped his hands together,"Kitchen?"

"For dinner? That's a bit too ethnic for me Quatre."

"Har, har." With one last 'har' Quatre lead them to the large, white kitchen.


***************


"Sorry about the lack of Chinese, I usually order in or eat out," Quatre took a bite of his microwaved pizza, and groaned as the melted cheese hit the top of his mouth, "So. What have you two been up to lately?" Quatre mumbled through his slice.

"Well," Hilde answered, giving a disgusted look as cheese dripped down Quatre's chin and kicking Duo as he attempted to answer through two slices of pizza, "Have you heard of Civilians R Us?"

They had been in the news recently, "Yeah," Quatre said, nodding.

"Duo and I front a L2 section. There are a lot of returned soldiers in L2 and as both of us have experience, I volunteered us!" Hilde enthused.

"That's great!" Quatre turned to Duo, "How come you haven't told me?"

"Because he is a slacker," Hilde shot in, a grin on her face as she tossed a glance at the gorging Duo. With a sly glance she grabbed a few slices and shoved them in her mouth. Then completely gainsaying what she had done before, Hilde shoved them in her mouth, chewed and grinned around her food.

As soon as she finished, giggles already escaping, Hilde burst out in laughter. With one look at the scandalized and mourning Duo, Quatre joined in with her. Laughter readily fleeing Quatre's lips, Duo had little choice but to begin to laugh too.

Through his laughter, Duo gasped out; "I hate you Hilde!"

"I hate you too!" Hilde grinned madly, as she took a slice of pizza out from Quatre's plate.

It all made them laugh louder, then Duo and Quatre struck revenge.

"No! My pizza!" Hilde cried as they took vengeance.

They both smirked back her.
Sign up to rate and review this story