Categories > Movies > High School Musical > Start of Something New

Chapter 8 - A Series of Unfortunate Events - Part II

by starlightmint 0 reviews

Continuing adventures of Zanessa.

Category: High School Musical - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-04-21 - Updated: 2006-04-21 - 1497 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: It's probably obvious, but I don't own any of the HSM characters or the cast or their related stuff. Also, though this story involves the names of real people, it is a complete work of fiction in terms of characterization and plot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 8 - A Series of Unfortunate Events

Part II

Zac stood on the sidewalk, breathing heavily. It had all happened so fast. One minute he was holding Vanessa's hand-and the next, Lucas had got her into the front van and she was zooming away from him down the drive. He had put up his hand to wave goodbye, but by the time he had waved once, they were so far away he didn't think she could see.

Lucas.

Something hardened around his heart as he trudged back to the second van. Ashley was already half out of the side door as he walked up, looking at him with concern.

"What just happened there?" Ashley looked stricken.

"I-don't know." He sat next to her in the back seat and dropped his bag down on the floor. "Tug of war with Vanessa... and I guess Lucas won." He let out a bitter laugh and shook his head.

Ashley looked at him. "Well, that seemed like a lot of drama right there. I don't know what Lucas was up to but he looked really intense."

Lucas again. He felt like throwing a punch at the seat in front. "He said he wanted to tell her something. He grabbed her hand... He was really insistent."

In the seat in front of him, Corbin gave him a sideways look. "Hey, what happened with you and Vanessa yesterday?"

"What?" He looked up and remembered Corbin in the hallway. "Oh yeah... we went out. It... was a good time."

We kissed.

He expected to feel the warm bloom in his chest that he had felt all last night, remembering Vanessa in his arms. But somehow, his memory of the evening seemed to be fading. His muscles felt tense, unable to relax.

Maybe... this was a mistake.

"What did you guys do?" Ashley's eyes were wide. She suddenly put her hand on his arm, and a conspiratorial smile crept onto her face. "Where did you take her?"

"Nowhere, Ash." He felt suddenly reticent, but then spoke again. Why not. "Well-we didn't really have to go anywhere. We went to a wedding. The big one they were setting up in the big ballroom."

Ah, let it all out. "Actually, we, uh... kissed."

He could hear Ashley catch her breath suddenly and he turned his eyes down. "But-yeah, I don't know about all this drama this morning. I don't know what Lucas was up to. Maybe it's just..."

Maybe he found out. Maybe she's just stringing along both of us. Maybe-

"Maybe it's nothing." His voice sounded firm, but somehow he didn't feel convinced.

But Corbin suddenly looked serious. "You don't think... she's got both of you going?"

Zac felt his stomach fall.

Ashley's eyes jumped up. "Corbin. What?"

Corbin's eyes were wide now. "Well, you were saying about that rumour. Like... she strings guys along."

Zac dropped his head into his hands. Oh, man. "Corbin, you were the one that told me to go for it."

A guilty look spread on Corbin's face. "Yeah... well." He shrugged. "I've got to be honest, though. I've never seen drama like that. Like, you guys, both tugging at her hands? That's insane. And if it's just from one girl..." Corbin made a cringing face. "Yikes."

"You have got to be kidding me." Zac leaned back and put his arm over his eyes. "Now you tell me. Mr Let's Take Risks for Love. Mr Let the Chips Fall Where They May."

"Sorry, dude-I mean, I still think it's good that you went for it-"

But in a small voice, Ashley broke in. "Well... maybe it's better you found out early."

Zac looked over at her. She looked at him, concern written all over her face. "You are a good guy, Zac. And that is way too much for you to go through. For just a girl."

Ashley kept going, her eyes soft. "Look... I don't know if this is what you want to hear. But maybe you should cut it off before you get in way over your head."

Corbin looked over at her, then nodded hesitantly. "I hate to say it... but maybe she's right."

But...

His mind began to reel through the memory of last night. Remembering his arms around her in the hallway. Her hands on the back of his neck. The soft touch of her lips on his as they melted into a kiss at the end of the night. After a night like that... I don't think I could take it if it got more intense.

Maybe it is best to cut it off now... like a Band-Aid, in one big swoop.

Wait,
said another voice. You're doing this too early. Just wait-

But a fierce feeling had already jumped up inside him. He let out a breath and nodded at both of them. "Maybe... you're right."

Ashley's eyes were sympathetic. "I'm sorry, Zac-but sometimes you've got to do what's right for you."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As their van pulled up to East High, Zac saw Vanessa run up to meet them. Her eyes seemed to be filled with tears.

Wow-high drama.

He felt Ashley squeeze his arm, and turned to smile at her appreciatively.

"Good luck," she said.

He steeled himself, then opened the door to greet Vanessa.

"Hey, Ness. You got a minute?" He tried to sound nonchalant.

"Yeah," she said. "Listen, Zac, I've got to talk to you-"

"No listen, I've actually got to talk to you."

They walked into the school together. It was empty for summer vacation, leaving it free for roaming Disney productions to use. Zac pulled her into a corner of a hallway and stopped. He stood there for a minute, staring at her, and fidgeted with the strap of his bag.

Why does she have to be so beautiful?

She started to speak. "Look, Lucas said something..."

Lucas.

"Ness..." He started, then stopped. Suck it up, Efron. Then he closed his eyes, letting it out in a rush. "Please just listen."

"Look-this is going to be hard. On both of us. But last night... I don't know what happened. I think I got caught up... in being with you." He sighed. "Listen, I just think it's going to be best if we don't.... go any further. If we could... just be friends again."

But as the words came out, each one began to jumble and fall out of rhythm, sounding wrong. His sense of determination disappeared. His mouth felt dry and he trailed off.

It's Nessa. Oh my God, this is Nessa. The most amazing girl I've ever met.

And I'm... breaking up with her.


He felt a flash of horror at himself as tears began to roll down her face. Staring at her there, the events of the morning seemed to fall away, leaving only the warmth of last night there. He remembered her laugh as he told Cecilia their names. Her arms around him on the dance floor. He suddenly couldn't breathe. A different kind of fierceness leapt up inside him.

Corbin was right the first time. I don't give a rat's ass about the drama-it's nothing compared to being with her. Lucas-whatever. This is Nessa. And she's with me-

But Vanessa was already nodding. She smiled bravely, looking him right in the eye.

"You're right, Zac," she said, her voice clear. "I... know what you're going through. And yeah, I do think being friends is best for both of us, in the long run." She crossed her arms in front of her and let out a sad sounding laugh. "Cause I gotta admit, I like having you around too much to ruin our chances at any kind of relationship."

No.

He started to speak but she put her hand on his arm, smiling sadly. "Look I'm glad we had last night. It was amazing."

She wiped the corner of her eyes with her fingers and laughed again, miserably.

"But yeah. Friends is what we should be. Last night... was just a beautiful mistake."

No.

He opened his mouth again, but she had already turned and walked away.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author Note:

So totally weird. While I was writing the end, Zac's thoughts (my thoughts, likely, but this writing thing is a weird mix of channeling and planning) just kind of went off in that direction and I ran with it. But I think that was a good thing! At least we have hope. So, all right, everyone: now, to dig them out of this hole again....

And from the last author's note, it seems that I've already made myself out to be a liar, since now that I've started, I can't seem to stop writing this story. So updates will probably get pretty regular again... fingers crossed...
Sign up to rate and review this story