Categories > TV > NCIS > Just Another Day

Chapter 5

by jessie179 0 reviews

Category: NCIS - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2010-05-16 - Updated: 2010-05-17 - 1765 words

0Unrated
Four Days Later

"So, you were married?" McGee broached the subject that had been weighing on his mind since he had found out, just this morning actually.

Daniel laid down his pen and turned towards his brother, who was focused on the many books lining the bookshelves in his office. "I was." He acknowledged. "Her name was Sha're and I loved her very much."

McGee turned hearing the sadness in Daniel's voice. "What happened to her?" All Vala had said was that Daniel had been married but not anymore. He didn't know if her vague statement had been on purpose, to protect Daniel's privacy, or if she truly didn't know what happened to his wife.

"She was taken, along with her brother, Skaara, from Abydos. The last time I saw her she tried to kill me." Daniel had long since gotten over the loss of his beloved wife but that didn't mean it hurt any less.

"What? Isn't Abydos the first planet you guys visited?" McGee didn't understand. "Back up aminute. You were married to an honest to goodness /alien/?"

Daniel shook his head. "Sha're's people, along with millions of others, were taken from Earth and transplanted on thousands of different planets. She was as human as you or me." He picked up his one and only picture of his wife and showed it to Tim.

McGee took the picture and smiled. "She's very pretty." And it was true. Who would have thought Danny Jackson would have exotic tastes in women? Surely not him.

"She was." Daniel agreed. "But sometimes I think she would have lived longer had she married one of her people instead of me."

"How /did /you meet?" McGee asked, handing back the precious picture.

Daniel blushed and looked down at his hands. Even after all these years he still was embarrassed to tell the story of how he and Sha're met. "It was a misunderstanding between us and her people that brought us together. Before I could fully understand their traditions and customs, Sha're had been given to me as a wife. Had I declined, her family and people would have taken offense. I was uncomfortable at first but sometime during our stay I fell in love with her. So when Jack and the others returned to Earth, I chose to stay behind."

McGee sat back down in his previously vacated chair. "You said the last time you saw her, she tried to kill you?" By the tone of Daniel's voice, he could tell this story was not going to have ahappy ending.

"Like I said, she was taken, made a host, along with her brother. The Goa'uld inhabiting her tried to kill me and she would have succeeded if Teal'c hadn't stopped her." Daniel paused then continued. "I left Abydos to join SG-1 to find her and in the end I did. At least now I know she is at peace." Once he finished his tale, he found himself enveloped in a hug by the eavesdropping Vala.

"I'm so sorry, Daniel." Vala tightened her arms around Daniel. "She's much better off now than when she was a host." She assured him, having been a host herself in the past.

"Were you eavesdropping on our conversation?" McGee asked with a raised eyebrow. He may have only been at the SGC for a day but he was already on his way to figuring out the quirks of the flagship team.

Vala unwrapped herself from Daniel and turned to face Tim. "Yes but not initially." She hurried to defend herself. "Mitchell sent me on a very important mission. I am to tell you two lab rats that the information you requested has arrived but you're not going to like it." She looked proud of herself.

Daniel stared at Vala, long and hard, having recovered from her impromptu hug. "You were annoying him again, weren't you?"

"Why must you always think the worst of me, Daniel?" Vala demanded to know as she sat herself down onto Tim's lap, using him as a chair.

"Because I know you! And because Cameron could have just called!" Daniel shot back, motioned towards the phone on the wall, then sighed having been baited by her once again. "Out!" He pointed to the door.

Vala rolled her eyes, gave Tim a peck on the cheek, then skipped out of the office, ponytails bouncing.

McGee watched her leave then turned his smirking face to Daniel. "You like her!" He said in asing-song voice.

Daniel glared at his little brother. "I most certainly do /not/!" He denied, fiercely, as he pushed away from his desk and headed out of his office/lab.

Not thinking twice, McGee followed after Daniel. "So where are we heading? She didn't say where Mitchell was, did she?"

"No, she didn't." Daniel entered the elevator and inserted his access card into the slot above the buttons; this granted his access to the more restricted areas of the SGC. He pushed the correct button and watched as numbers began to move.

McGee blinked. "Then how do you know where to go?"

Daniel titled his head to the side. "I just know he'll be in Sam's lab. How do I know this? Because were a team, maybe?" He didn't questions things, not really, not anymore, not after everything he had seen and done. Once the elevator arrived, her exited and lead the way to Sam's lab. "Vala said you got something we won't like?" He shot a look at the innocently looking Vala, now perched on the edge of the large lab table.

Colonel Cameron Mitchell, leader of SG-1, stopped spinning around in the chair once the rest of his team, plus one, arrived. "You betcha you're not going to like it!" He motioned towards a file folder laying in the middle of the empty lab table, Sam either packed everything away or took it with her to Atlantis. "Navy's refusing to release information, other than what's in that folder, about Admiral Timothy McGee Sr's death. Seems that they can't release information regarding an open investigation." He looked past Daniel and at Tim.

"What?" McGee gathered up the folder and flipped through it. There wasn't much there and what was, was so badly censored that you could only make out a word or two amongst the blackened out lines of text. "I don't understand." He looked at the leader of SG-1. "When I took my leave, it was because no one would listen to me about dad. I was told in no uncertain terms that if Iwanted to prove that he had been murdered, I'd have to do it myself."

"It would appear that you were lied to, Timothy McGee." Teal'c said from his spot beside Cameron. "Is someone attempting to orchestrate a cover up, Colonel Mitchell?"

"Well, I'm not sure, Teal'c. But if it sounds like a cover up, feels like a cover up, and tastes like acover up, then I'd say that it's a cover up. Anyone else agree?" Cameron looked around at the gathered people.

"I do!" Vala raised her hand and bounced in her seat. "Definitely sounds like a cover up to me. Your people are well versed in the art of manipulation and lying, are they not?"

"Who's handling the investigation?" Daniel asked not entirely dismissing Cameron's theory because anything was possible when the rogue NID were involved.

Cameron leaned back in his chair. "Something called the NTSBCIS or something like that." He dismissed. "I can never keep all the letters straight when it comes to government Agencies. Iblame my grandmother for that, taught me to spell things out, she did. Got smacked in the head when I didn't."

Daniel rolled. "Got smacked in the head a lot, did you? That....that actually explained a lot, Mitchell."

McGee snorted at the good natured ribbing that was going on. "Do you mean NCIS?"

"Yes! That's it!" Cameron pointed at Tim and gave him a large smile. "Good work, boy. We get to keep him after this is over, Jackson? He's way smarter than Pippy over there." He used his thumb to point over his shoulder at Vala. "When Sam left, I felt the IQ of the team drop way down there. It's just you, Jackson, and Teal'c keeping us looking good in front of the other teams."

"Why would NCIS be investigating my dads death when it was the Director that told me I'd have to investigate on my own?" McGee wondered, aloud.

Teal'c was the only one to answer. "That appears to be the question to answer, Timothy McGee."

-0-

"Has anyone heard from McGee?" Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs asked as he strolled into his teams little section of NCIS. He sat his half empty cup of coffee onto the corner of his desk as he removed his coat and tossed it over his chair.

"Not a peep, boss." Senior Agent Anthony 'Tony' DiNozzo spoke up, from in front of the plasma, before Ziva could. "No answer at his house or cell. It's like he dropped off the face of the Earth. Maybe he's in Never Never Land?"

Gibbs finished his coffee, tossed the cup into his garbage can then proceeded to smack Tony on the back of the head. "Ziva?"

"I have walked, as well, Gibbs." Ziva moved out from around her desk and joined the two men in front of the plasma which was currently displaying a picture of Admiral Timothy McGee Sr.

Tony couldn't resist. "The phrase is struck out, Zee-va." He corrected with an arrogant smile before turning back to the screen. "Did anyone know that McGeek was the son of an Admiral? Or that he was a junior?"

Ziva glared at Tony but let his correction of her American slang pass. "I was unaware that he had any family besides Sarah."

"He was estranged from his father." Director Jenny Sheppard said from the stairs above where she had been observing the team for the last couple of minutes. She descended the stairs and joined them. "And he had the junior legally dropped from his name when he turned eighteen." She stared at the handsome man on the screen. It was clear that Tim got his boyish good looks from his father. "Did anybody think to call Sarah?" When nobody answered, she sighed. "Tim called her this morning, said he was staying with Daniel." She removed the mouse/pointer from Tony's hand and clicked on something, pulling up a file and a picture, before any of them could ask any questions. "Meet Daniel Jackson, Tim and Sarah's older brother."
Sign up to rate and review this story