Categories > TV > NCIS > Just Another Day

Chapter 6

by jessie179 0 reviews

Category: NCIS - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2010-05-17 - Updated: 2010-05-17 - 2445 words

0Unrated
Gibbs stared at the picture on the screen. Usually archived photos came from the DMV but this one had more of a military ID feel to it even though the man in the photo wasn't wearing auniform of any kind. "I've seen him before." He mumbled more to himself than his team. A few seconds later he still couldn't place where he had seen the younger man before. "He's McGee's brother? Why isn't he listened in his personnel file?" He directed the question towards the Director.

Tony took a step towards the plasma to get a better look at the man on the screen. "There are more McGeek's out there running around?" He asked seriously as he continued to study the photo. "Is this one a computer nerd too?"

Jenny waited until she was sure all the questions that were going to be asked were asked before answering. "This is Doctor Daniel Jackson." She clicked the mouse causing the screen to fade into another, different, one. "He isn't listed in Agent McGee's file because they aren't related, technically." She focused on the back of Tony's head. "He isn't a computer nerd, DiNozzo, but he is a genius. He has PhDs in Archeology, Anthropology, and Philology."

"So how is he his brother when they aren't related?" Tony asked as he moved away from the plasma and joined Ziva in leaning against McGee's desk.

"Daniel Jackson is an extra child, yes?" Ziva still was getting used to American terminology.

"Simply put, yes he is, Ziva. Daniel was eight when his parents were killed. His only living relative passed on custody to the State of New York. He was in the foster care system only a week before ending up with the McGee's. He was their ward until he turned sixteen and entered his sophomore year of college. According to Sarah, he broke off all contact with his foster parents but kept in regular contact with herself and Tim."

"And you say he's staying with foster brother?" Gibbs asked as he studied the new photo on the screen. "Is that the President he's shaking hands with?" He asked after a moment.

Tony pushed off his desk to study the new photo. "It is the President!" He exclaimed. "Why is an archeologist shaking hands with the President of the United States of America?"

Jenny fought back the smirk that was threatening to make itself known. It wasn't everyday that something flustered Gibbs and his team; they were the best after all. "That is, indeed, the President. This picture was taken at a banquet just days after President Hayes was elected. He's receiving the President's Award for Distinguished Federal Civilian Service. It's not his first either."

Gibbs frowned. "So McGee is off visiting his brother just days after his fathers death? Has he made any arrangements for the body?"

"He arranged everything before he left. I got to tell you Jethro, Tim was rather upset when he requested that his fathers suicide be investigated and I turned him down. I was unaware that the President himself was going to order this investigation. I imagine that's why he decided to visit his brother now." Jenny informed the gathered Agents.

"He thought his father was murdered?" Gibbs asked in mild surprise. "He give a reason why?"

Jenny shook her head. "He just said that his father would never have committed suicide. I just chalked it up to a grieving son until the Presidential order came down. By that time Tim was already gone."

Gibbs turned his gaze to his former lover. "Well, get him back!" He snapped, upset that the red head had dismissed one his Agents' concerns so casually.

"I can't just get him back Jethro. Timothy took two weeks off and Sarah flat out refused to tell me where Daniel lives. She said her brother had to grieve in his own way and she didn't want us making it worse." Jenny crossed her arms over her chest.

Ziva felt the tension begin to rise so she moved in to try and defuse the situation. "Can you not just look up his address, Director?" She asked, calmly, motioning towards the plasma that was tied into their computers.

"Hey, Zee-va's right!" Tony gave Ziva a look. "Just look up Daniel Jackson and once you find his address, Ziva and I will go and fetch our wayward Elf Lord." It sounded like a good plan to him.

Jenny frowned. Gibbs was rubbing off on his Agents, even the once outcasted Mossad Officer was beginning to sound like their boss. "Daniel Jackson currently resides in Colorado Springs, Colorado. He's a civilian consultant based out of Cheyenne Mountain."

Tony clapped his hands together. "Alrighty then! Ziva let's go!" He headed around his desk to pick up his pack but was stopped when Gibbs let out a sharp whistle. "Huh?" He turned to look at his boss.

"You two aren't going anywhere." Gibbs frown had deepened at the info Jenny had just revealed."He's Air Force?" He asked once he had stopped his overzealous Agent from leaving.

"He might be a civvie but he's definitely Air Force." Jenny acknowledged with a brisk nod.

"I am confused." Ziva hadn't moved from her reclining position against the desk. "We are not to retrieve McGee?"

Jenny shook her head. "McGee is currently off limits, orders from SecNav." She should have told them that to begin with but she was telling them now.

"What's so special about this Doctor Jackson and Cheyenne Mountain?" Tony may have been slow sometimes on the uptake but he could tell that the SecNav was worried about them stumbling onto something and it didn't involve their wayward Agent. Putting two and two together really wasn't that hard.

Gibbs sighed. "Dammit Jenny!" He glared at the Director. "You think McGee knows what big brother is doing and went to him for help since his own agency turned him down?"

"That's one theory, yes." Jenny grimpsed at the look she was receiving. Not many people received the special Gibbs death glare. Then she realized that he was worried about the young Agent. "Or he could have just went to his brother for comfort in his time of grief."

Tony looked between his two bosses and frowned. "What's going on? How can a civilian consultant help McGee solve his fathers murder, if he really was murdered?"

Gibbs leveled his gaze on Tony, it softened just slightly. "You've heard of Groom Lake, right?Area 51?"

"Of course, Boss. Who hasn't?" Tony tilted his head to the side having no idea where Gibbs was going with this.

"Cheyenne Mountain is also an Air Force operated base. It's referred to as Area 52. It's a rumor that Groom Lake and Cheyenne Mountain are sister bases." Gibbs explained as his gaze returned to the photo still displayed.

Tony blinked. "You're talking about aliens, right?" He seemed skeptical, actually, very skeptical.

"He's talking about classified projects, DiNozzo!" Ziva smacked him on the back of the head after Gibbs gave her the /look/. "They are saying that mild mannered Doctor Daniel Jackson is involved in a classified project that nobody wants to talk about and even less knows about. You call it Special ops, yes?" She looked from the Director to Gibbs and back again.

Gibbs gave Ziva one of his rare smiles usually reserved for Abby. "Very good." He eyed the young Mossad Officer for a moment. "Do you know him, Ziva?" He asked as he motioned towards the plasma.

Ziva met Gibbs gaze and held it. "I....know....him, yes. We ran into each other, a number of years ago, in Egypt." A small little smile tugged on her lips as she broke the gaze. "We played together as children. His parents were American archeologists who divided their time between Egypt and Israel. Daniel was born during one of their digs in Acre." She looked up again, the memories once again locked away. "What Daniel does is classified not only by the United States Government but by my Government as well. I will not speak of it."

Jenny wasn't surprised that Ziva knew what was going on when they didn't. "Is McGee in any danger?"

"No, I do not believe so. McGee is a capable Agent. His skills have improved much over the past couple months. The fact that he is Daniel's brother, will keep him safe. /Their /friends and families are protected. I would not be surprised if they asked him to join the /Project/." Ziva sounded sure of herself and that's because she was. McGee would not be harmed. Because of his skills, he'd be respected, more so than he was working for NCIS.

"You think that after this is all said and done with, if he has indeed went to his brother for help, they'd offer him a job?" Gibbs asked. He didn't know why but this newfound information made him uncomfortable. "Well, as long as McGee isn't in any trouble, then we should get to work."He moved away from the plasma and sat down behind his desk. "DiNozzo, go check and see if Ducky has found anything yet! Ziva, pull Admiral McGee's bank and phone records for me!" He barked.

The two Agents scurried to do as they were told.

The Director watched for a moment as the team got to work before setting the mouse down on the desk and moving away, heading towards her own office to make a few discreet inquires.

-0-

"So what do we do now?" McGee asked as he tossed the useless folder down onto the desk.

"Now? Now we wait." Cameron crossed his arms over his chest.

"Wait? How is that going to help us to find out who killed Tim's dad?" Daniel asked as he shot his friend and team leader a glare.

Cameron grinned. "Well, we seem to be in Colorado while everything pertaining to this case is all the way in Washington D.C. Now, we could get a lift from Odyssey or we could let the CNBC people do the work for us. They have the connections and know the area a whole lot better than we do, except for maybe Tim there."

McGee was quiet for a moment. "So you're saying that we should let NCIS do all the leg work then....what?"

"Then we go there and get whatever they've gathered and finish the investigation ourselves. They're going to dead-end once they reach the NID, if they get that far. They can get all the non-classified information then we take it and add to it what we know." Cameron was proud of his idea and it showed.

Daniel blinked. "That's actually a good idea." He looked over at his brother. "It'll get solved faster this way." He told him, gently. "It would take double the time if we went there and tried to do it all ourselves. We've all been to D.C. but I don't think any of us has spent any real time there to actually know where everything is."

McGee was conflicted at first. His team was going to do all the work then SG-1 was going to swoop in and take the case away from them. It wasn't going to make his NCIS teammates happy but then again it was the Director that had basically told him to go screw himself. "Alright. We'll let them do the dirty work then we'll take over." He could help but feel drawn to this group of people. They seemed to respect him more than his own teammates did. "What am I going to do until then? Go home?"

Cameron grinned. "Nawh, I have a better idea. We've been a man sort ever since Sam took command of Atlantis and Daniel's been bragging about how good with computers you are. How would you like to be temporary assigned to SG-1?"

"Really?" McGee didn't know what to say. "Would I be able to do go offworld with you or would I be tied to a computer all day?" That thought didn't thrill him like it once did. He wanted to be out doing something.

"SG-1 is a field unit, darling. We don't save the world from attacking desktop computers." Vala gave the young man a grin. "But in order to go offworld you must sleep with me first. Think you can do that?"

"Vala!" Daniel barked when he saw the blush creeping up Tim's neck and cheeks. "She's right about us being a field unit but not about sleeping with her. You'd have to be cleared first which is basically a psych-eval and if Vala can pass it, so can you. And since you're an active Special Agent, General Landry will pull your records and if everything checks out...." He trailed off. "But only if you want to."

McGee looked from face to face then grinned. "Sure, why not? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, isn't it? I'd be crazy to pass on it." He nodded his head once to make sure they understand him. "Where do I sign up?"

Vala pushed herself off her perch and sauntered up to Tim, taking a hold of one of his arms and drawing him towards the door. "First you must get a locator chip implanted because we have ahabit of getting ourselves kidnaped. The chip saves us from having to kill some uninformed yokel." She explained as she drug him down the corridor.

Daniel watched them do before turning back to Cameron. "You did clear this with the General, didn't you?"

"Indeed he did, Daniel Jackson. I was present when he made the request. General Landry seemed most pleased about the idea." Teal'c explained as he, too, left the room.

"Come on, Jackson, let's go make sure Vala doesn't do something to traumatize your little brother." Cameron clasped Daniel on the shoulder and steered him out of the empty office.

"I think this will be good for him." Daniel said once they were on the elevator and heading for the infirmary. "Whenever I talked to him he always seemed so frustrated with his team. I don't think they treated him very well."

Cameron listened to Daniel as they exited the elevator and headed down the corridor. "He's in good hands here, Daniel. No one will treat him badly, you know that. We take care of our own."He said as they stepped into the infirmary and the chaos Vala had managed to cause in that short period of time.

Daniel couldn't help but chuckle at the antics he was seeing before him. Tim would fit in just fine here because everybody fit in at the SGC.

Sign up to rate and review this story